Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 84 of 220
« First < 3474828384 858694134184 > Last »
General Discussion>Photography Thread
MrClean 11:30 AM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
Very VERY interesting test done here:

http://www.lenstip.com/113.4-article...d_summary.html

I knew cheap filters could affect your pictures, but I honestly had no idea how much. I'm taking the crap UV filters I bought from Best Buy off my lenses immediately and getting some nice ones.
Thanks for the link Brian. I've seen similar tests done. One of the best pieces of advice I heard awhile back.......if you buy an expensive lens with expensive glass in it, why would you put a cheap filter on it and risk adversely affecting your images.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 11:33 AM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by MrClean:
Thanks for the link Brian. I've seen similar tests done. One of the best pieces of advice I heard awhile back.......if you buy an expensive lens with expensive glass in it, why would you put a cheap filter on it and risk adversely affecting your images.
Unfortunately I only heard that recently, so I've been shooting for awhile with UV filters on my lenses that who knows how much they affect my photos :-) I don't think they're crappy filters, I don't even remember what brand, but I know I didn't pay more than $30-40 for them.
[Reply]
LostAbbott 11:47 AM 02-03-2012
Looking at those tests, I would still go with the B&W filters, I wack my gear all over the place and generally treat it like the tool it is for me. The B&W's have never gotten scratched or loose or anything in the 10+ years I have been shooting. All of the hoyo's I have used have been pretty weeny.
[Reply]
MrClean 11:59 AM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by LostAbbott:
Looking at those tests, I would still go with the B&W filters, I wack my gear all over the place and generally treat it like the tool it is for me. The B&W's have never gotten scratched or loose or anything in the 10+ years I have been shooting. All of the hoyo's I have used have been pretty weeny.
I noticed in that test they didn't have access to B+W filters. I've seen a few tests with them and they always rate very high. Looks like Amazon has several and the prices seem very good. :-)
[Reply]
ambientboy 11:57 PM 02-03-2012
Well, I'm officially in over my head :-)
Just ordered this lens, I rented one a few months ago and loved it.
Lens by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr
That puppy's been livin on my camera for about a year now. I love it and you will NOT regret that purchase. The 50mm 1.2 (L) is going to be my next purchase. I'm a sucker for primes.
[Reply]
spectrrr 06:29 AM 02-04-2012
Well, I'm officially in over my head :-)
Just ordered this lens, I rented one a few months ago and loved it.
Lens by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr
Oh man, have fun! That is one of my favorite lenses! I find that at weddings about 2/3 of my shots end up being from that lens, it simply never leaves one of my cameras!

Only problem I've had with mine is that its gotten loose with age, pointing the camera downwards will extend the lens on its own... annoying at times... but I couldn't be happier with the lens and would buy another in a heartbeat.

(using a on 5D btw, so its plenty wide enough... can't get used to it on a cropped sensor.. usually end up using a 17-35 on that camera.

:-) not even close Justin. I rented one and saw the difference better glass can make. I cringe like crazy spending more for the lens than I did for my camera.
But I compare it to going from a point and shoot and a DSLR, the pictures come out so much better. This will be the only L lens I buy, unless I start getting paid for what I do and there is no plan for doing that, besides, I'm no where near good enough.

I should mention also that it is a refurbished lens from Canon. I can't see spending retail on a lens that has been fully checked, with the refurb, they fix what was broken and fully test the lens before reselling it. Granted the warranty is only 90 days, but if it's been fully inspected, I see no reason for failures anytime soon.
You would be shocked and amazed at how many people will pay good money for work that we would consider to be "sub-par" ..... Do understand that I am by no means advocating lazy and crappy pictures!!! We should always strive to do the best we can... but don't let self doubt sell yourself short because other people are better.... there will ALWAYS be someone better! I've been there, I've gotten caught up looking at other people's breathtakingly amazing work that's just out of my league... and I lose sight of the fact that I can take a good pic too! Remember, there's always someone worse than you too.... AND they're getting paid! Always be honest about what you can do for someone, have plenty of examples of your work, and don't be afraid to put yourself out there.
[Reply]
AD720 01:58 PM 02-04-2012
I've been giving some serious thought to trading my 18-55IS and 55-250IS for a super zoom like the Tamron 18-270. I almost grabbed a Sigma 18-250 cheap but the lack of IS gave me pause. I keep going back and forth - it would strictly be for convenience sake to not have to carry around 2 lens and/or potentially miss a shot due to needing to stop and swap lenses.
[Reply]
MrClean 02:18 PM 02-04-2012
Originally Posted by AD720:
I've been giving some serious thought to trading my 18-55IS and 55-250IS for a super zoom like the Tamron 18-270. I almost grabbed a Sigma 18-250 cheap but the lack of IS gave me pause. I keep going back and forth - it would strictly be for convenience sake to not have to carry around 2 lens and/or potentially miss a shot due to needing to stop and swap lenses.
Andrew I have a Sigma 70-300 without IS and it does good at the shorter distance, but at 150+ without IS, I get a lot of OOF shots. A tripod is almost necessary unless you have a bunch of light (outdoors).
[Reply]
AD720 04:57 PM 02-04-2012
Andrew I have a Sigma 70-300 without IS and it does good at the shorter distance, but at 150+ without IS, I get a lot of OOF shots. A tripod is almost necessary unless you have a bunch of light (outdoors).
Thanks Jeff...that was why I held off. The whole point of this lens would be for "walkabout" so by definition with no tripod. I try not to be a cheapskate since I realize that photography is not a cheap hobby but dropping $500 for a lens to put on my $400 camera is a tough one for me. :-) Plus I am really happy with the IQ on the two lenses I have.
[Reply]
spectrrr 02:29 AM 02-05-2012
Drop $400 for a second camera. Lens changing problem solved, and you saved $100 :-)
[Reply]
AD720 07:36 AM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by spectrrr:
Drop $400 for a second camera. Lens changing problem solved, and you saved $100 :-)
Haha! Doesn't solve my "lighter camera bag" problem though. :-)
[Reply]
MrClean 06:58 PM 02-08-2012
The new toy arrived today.:-) So be prepared to see a bunch of random meaningless pics. :-)
This thing looks brand new, no lens creep, I can't find any indications that this is a refurb.
If anyone has thought about buying a refurb Canon lens, I'd say do it!
[Reply]
ashtonlady 07:23 PM 02-08-2012
where did you buy it from?
[Reply]
MrClean 10:49 PM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by ashtonlady:
where did you buy it from?
From the Canon Direct website. CanonDirect
[Reply]
MrClean 09:47 PM 02-10-2012
Of course the first pic I post with the new lens would be.....

New lens makes me happy by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr
[Reply]
emopunker2004 09:50 PM 02-10-2012
:-)
[Reply]
MrClean 12:02 AM 02-16-2012
My son, we were waiting for the bus the other morning and I had the camera, he is a complete ham when it comes to getting his picture taken.
Josh - waiting for the bus by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr
[Reply]
ambientboy 11:38 AM 02-16-2012
Looking back through last year's photoalbums:

[Reply]
MrClean 03:20 PM 02-18-2012
Nice shots Dan!! The first one is a nice perspective of the mountain top......at least I'm assuming that's a mountain top.
[Reply]
fencefixer 03:23 PM 02-18-2012
Stunning pics Dan.. btw who's the hottie in the last pic?
[Reply]
Page 84 of 220
« First < 3474828384 858694134184 > Last »
Up