Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 84 of 350
« First < 3474828384 858694134184 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
Shaerza 07:18 AM 04-06-2009
Any of you guys ever used any of the fat burn supplements? Or have any thoughts about the use of them?

I dropped 60lbs last year and am easily managing to hover at 185-190 while I am slowly adding muscle and dropping fat. But I am still stuck with the ugly leftover fat around the waist, that does not really seem to be shrinking at all.. Was curious if adding any of the supplements to my current routines might help me drop that extra weight faster
icehog3 09:02 AM 04-06-2009
Good back day, Dokk! :-)

Dan, the first place fat goes on is usually the last place it comes off. Just going to have to do it with excercise and diet I think, those fat burners may give some help if you have a lot of weight to lose, but are unlikely to help with the problem as you describe it.
PeteSB75 09:43 AM 04-06-2009
Originally Posted by Shaerza:
Any of you guys ever used any of the fat burn supplements? Or have any thoughts about the use of them?

I dropped 60lbs last year and am easily managing to hover at 185-190 while I am slowly adding muscle and dropping fat. But I am still stuck with the ugly leftover fat around the waist, that does not really seem to be shrinking at all.. Was curious if adding any of the supplements to my current routines might help me drop that extra weight faster
I know how you feel man. I dropped about 40lbs last year, and have another 20 or so I just can't seem to shake. It's been 9 months now and I've been static in that department. I've pretty much stopped worrying about it, and figure it will do what it will. I'm not about to go the every meal from tupperware/no alcohol at all route, I enjoy eating/drinking too much. I think that's what it would take for me. I've just adjusted my focus to getting stronger, pushing PRs and continuing to eat relatively healthy.
BigFrank 01:50 PM 04-06-2009

I would look more into changing current things, like diet, routine, cardio before I would even worry about fat burners. Most if anything are just energy stimulants with herbal crap in them that is "supposed" to burn fat.
Pete 02:48 PM 04-06-2009

If I could add to the other relpies, it could be genetics also.
When I owned a good pair of legs I would run about 40 miles a week off season, and about 60 per when training for a marathon. Never could shake those love handles and that jelly roll around my waist.

As far as the supplements, what Frank said. Best fat burner is exercise. Mix up some weight training and cardio, eat right, and make it a lifestyle. I eat good (and somewhat sensibly) on the weekends, sure enjoy my bourbon and martinis, and not going to sacrifce wine with dinner. During the rest of the week, it's hammer time.
PeteSB75 06:21 AM 04-07-2009
Some chest work today - I screwed myself up this morning. Wasn't doing math very well this morning while loading the bar, and put a bit too much on. Went about 10lbs heavier than I wanted to, and didn't get all three of my work sets out on either incline or flat bench. Dips were good at least, but I'm still annoyed with the bad workout.
The Professor 06:43 AM 04-07-2009
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
Some chest work today - I screwed myself up this morning. Wasn't doing math very well this morning while loading the bar, and put a bit too much on. Went about 10lbs heavier than I wanted to, and didn't get all three of my work sets out on either incline or flat bench. Dips were good at least, but I'm still annoyed with the bad workout.
So what? In my book, it's perfectly acceptable to push yourself heavier with 2 crazy sets of each exercise. I wouldn't feel annoyed or upset at all. :-)

Record-setting shoulder day for me, today. I'm now back past what I was before getting injured. My gains are just ridiculous.

Warmups (arnold presses and regular db presses at light weight)

DB presses: 45 x 7, 45 x 6, 50 x 5, 50 x 5 (50 is a PR on db presses for me)

Standing overhead presses: 45 x 10, 75 x 7, 100 x 7, 105 x 6, 115 x 5, 125 x 1 (PR), 115 x 6

Zemekone rear delt raises: 45 x 10 for 3 sets

Upright EZ-bar raises: this was either 75lbs or 85lbs (not sure if this EZ-bar is 25 or 35lbs) for 3 sets of 8,7,6

My hour was up and I was spent. PRs on DB press and overhead press was a nice thing. Funny thing is, I'm sore as sh*t from yesterday's back day. My lats are just aching and I was sure that was going to have a negative effect on my lifts. Guess it didn't.

I'm trying to figure out what can explain some of the crazy gains I'm seeing in the last couple/few weeks. Two main things have changed that could help explain it. First, I've been a little more religious about my protein intake. I'm getting over 200g a day between shakes and solid food. I do 50g in my PWO shake and then have another 50g 30-40 minutes later for "breakfast." Second, I've been taking NanoVapor. Now, I don't think it does a very good job of getting my psyched and energized. That said, I've had a lot of focus, increased intensity, and these gains; I don't know that NanoVap has anything to do with that.

Whatev. I'm just stoked to be growing. Now if only I could *shrink* in my gut and legs. :-)
icehog3 08:00 AM 04-07-2009
Congrats on the PRs, Dokk, excellent!

I am glad you seem to be getting better results with the NNV than I was, I am back to the WF.

Heading out soon, I will use your success at the gym today to inspire me.
The Professor 08:23 AM 04-07-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I am glad you seem to be getting better results with the NNV than I was, I am back to the WF.
See ... that's what I'm not sure of, Admiral. I feel a lot less energetic, sluggish, and I don't get that crazy I-wanna-throw-sh*t-around feeling I came to love in WF. I'm seeing the gains; but I kind of think that could be attributed to the more disciplined supplementation.

What do you think?

Originally Posted by icehog3:
Heading out soon, I will use your success at the gym today to inspire me.
I'm honored. :-)
icehog3 08:35 AM 04-07-2009
So many factors could be involved, so I would keep things constant until the gains level off....even if the NaNOVapor isn't helping, it certainly isn't hurting. Keep disciplined with the protein supplementation, and stick with the NNV until you need a new "boost", Dokk. :-)
DavenportESQ 08:56 AM 04-07-2009
Originally Posted by The Professor:
See ... that's what I'm not sure of, Admiral. I feel a lot less energetic, sluggish, and I don't get that crazy I-wanna-throw-sh*t-around feeling I came to love in WF. I'm seeing the gains; but I kind of think that could be attributed to the more disciplined supplementation.

What do you think?

I'm honored. :-)
Dokk,

I think its all mental. I know you said your shoulder has been feeling better, maybe you just needed a little confidence in yourself to start pushing it.
:-)
The Professor 09:34 AM 04-07-2009
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ:
Dokk,

I think its all mental. I know you said your shoulder has been feeling better, maybe you just needed a little confidence in yourself to start pushing it.
:-)
Maybe; but *everything* is boosting -- even my deadlift is better, which I never felt was affected by the shoulder stupidness.

Still ... it could be just mental. Whatever it is, I hope it never stops. :-)

One other thing I've changed that I just remembered is that I've been mixing things up a lot more -- whether that means different exercises on a particular day, or a different order on a day, or a different order of days ... I've been trying to keep my body off balance and guessing. :-)
DavenportESQ 09:38 AM 04-07-2009
Maybe; but *everything* is boosting -- even my deadlift is better, which I never felt was affected by the shoulder stupidness.

Still ... it could be just mental. Whatever it is, I hope it never stops. :-)

One other thing I've changed that I just remembered is that I've been mixing things up a lot more -- whether that means different exercises on a particular day, or a different order on a day, or a different order of days ... I've been trying to keep my body off balance and guessing. :-)

This is one of the things I really preach in all my work outs. Not only does it keep the mind and body fresh. You never adapt and therefor are always challenging.

Interestingly enough The Admirals workouts are pretty straight forward with little change I see a lot of back and rows etc.....I guess the results speak for themselves, some of the :if it aint broke why fix it"

I would be interested in Toms take on this
PeteSB75 10:25 AM 04-07-2009
So what? In my book, it's perfectly acceptable to push yourself heavier with 2 crazy sets of each exercise. I wouldn't feel annoyed or upset at all. :-)
You're right. I just like to accomplish my goal every time I go in to the gym, and I went heavier than I expected, so I didn't feel like I did. On the positive side, when I got down and did the first set at 185 on the incline, I just pumped it out. Hard as hell, but I did it. Was only after I had 4 reps that I thought about it and said, holy chit, that was a much bigger jump than I usually do.

Record-setting shoulder day for me, today. I'm now back past what I was before getting injured. My gains are just ridiculous.

Warmups (arnold presses and regular db presses at light weight)

DB presses: 45 x 7, 45 x 6, 50 x 5, 50 x 5 (50 is a PR on db presses for me)

Standing overhead presses: 45 x 10, 75 x 7, 100 x 7, 105 x 6, 115 x 5, 125 x 1 (PR), 115 x 6

Zemekone rear delt raises: 45 x 10 for 3 sets

Upright EZ-bar raises: this was either 75lbs or 85lbs (not sure if this EZ-bar is 25 or 35lbs) for 3 sets of 8,7,6

My hour was up and I was spent. PRs on DB press and overhead press was a nice thing. Funny thing is, I'm sore as sh*t from yesterday's back day. My lats are just aching and I was sure that was going to have a negative effect on my lifts. Guess it didn't.
Great job! :-)
icehog3 11:15 AM 04-07-2009
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ:
This is one of the things I really preach in all my work outs. Not only does it keep the mind and body fresh. You never adapt and therefor are always challenging.

Interestingly enough The Admirals workouts are pretty straight forward with little change I see a lot of back and rows etc.....I guess the results speak for themselves, some of the :if it aint broke why fix it"

I would be interested in Toms take on this
I agree on both fronts....though I keep the basics in all my back workouts, i.e. Bent Over Rows, Pull-ups, T-Bars, etc, I mix up which ones I do, the order, heavy vs. reps, etc, to keep the body guessing. I used to get stale quickly if I did the same workout over and over. So I do think you should mix it up every workout, but keep one or two of the basic movements in each training session.
PeteSB75 06:14 AM 04-08-2009
Back/Explosive today. Work sets:

Lat Pulldowns wide grip
162.5x5 3 sets

DB Rows
70x5 3 sets

Power Clean
125x5 3 sets new PR

Barbell Rows
155x5 2 sets

Gotta say, I switched to working out in the morning, and I like it, but I seem to consistently wind up with just about an hour to work out, so I wind up skipping the cardio. Need to work that in on my off days, jogging and spin...
The Professor 06:52 AM 04-08-2009
Just cardio today....
King James 07:03 AM 04-08-2009
off day yesterday. Probably do some shoulders and arms today after restocking on Superpump and protein
Pete 07:04 AM 04-08-2009
Just cardio today....
Me too.

Had a really good chest and arm session yesterday.
Feeling it a bit today.
That's a good thing.
icehog3 08:14 AM 04-08-2009
Back day for me, White Flood time approaches.
Page 84 of 350
« First < 3474828384 858694134184 > Last »
Up