Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 81 of 104
« First < 3171798081 828391 > Last »
Sports>NHL '08- '09 Thread
icehog3 08:50 PM 05-23-2009
Originally Posted by jonharky:
I am not worried. I think we broke khabibulin though there is no coming back from what happen the second period
I think tomorrow might be a rude awakening for Wings fans.

So easy for me to talk tough when I will be offline until Monday. ;r
jonharky 08:59 PM 05-23-2009
I don't know we will see when tomorrow comes around. I think we will see a tougher detroit team
GHC_Hambone 09:05 PM 05-23-2009
Was Khabibulin injured or did they just replace him? I never heard either way.
357 10:50 PM 05-23-2009
No mention of the Kronwall hit on Havlat?

Sorry but that was a 100% legal hit.
icehog3 12:23 AM 05-24-2009
Originally Posted by GHC_Hambone:
Was Khabibulin injured or did they just replace him? I never heard either way.
Lower body injury, speculated to be Khabby's old groin again. You can see him having difficulty getting up after the 2nd Detroit goal.

Jon, Detroit is always tough....I just hope the Hawks keep playing them close.

100% legal? I dunno, he led with his forearm. Definitely not warranting a 5 minute major nor a game ejection, but certainly worthy of 2 for roughing. Be different if he caught him with the shoulder first, but from my perspective it was the forearm.
BarneyBandMan 09:22 AM 05-24-2009
Joe's been tied up for the weekend, so I'll post the Canes' love.

Ouch, dang, wtf?

Joe and I will be there on Tuesday night to get our guys going. I could use a quote or two about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor (Bluto), I'm going to pick a fight (Mel Wallace) etc. as a motivating moment, but the fact is that the Pens have taken it to the Canes in ridiculous ways. Our defensemen have NOTHING for Malkin and the boys, and Cam Ward only has one head on which to stand.

Though the fat lady will be in the house on Tuesday, I'm remembering a Red Sox run a few years back that started with a 3-0 deficit.

It can be done--Go Canes!
Partagaspete 03:07 AM 05-25-2009
I didn't get to watch the first game of the Pens/Canes series but it seems that Cole is putting on quite a few knee-on-knee hits. I saw about five in the last two games. Three I thought were flagrant. That elbow to Staal's head in front of the net in the third with no call, WTF? I like letting them play with hard hitting action but these a dangerous/career ending plays need to be called.

I think the fat lady is getting warming up.

Oh! and Barnaby, I do like Cam but I think he needs to work on his stick side this off season. definitely agree on the lack of support by his "D"

T
BarneyBandMan 08:55 AM 05-25-2009
Originally Posted by Partagaspete:
I didn't get to watch the first game of the Pens/Canes series but it seems that Cole is putting on quite a few knee-on-knee hits. I saw about five in the last two games. Three I thought were flagrant. That elbow to Staal's head in front of the net in the third with no call, WTF? I like letting them play with hard hitting action but these a dangerous/career ending plays need to be called.

Oh! and Barnaby, I do like Cam but I think he needs to work on his stick side this off season. definitely agree on the lack of support by his "D"

T
I've got nothing.

Go Canes!
jamesb3 12:42 PM 05-25-2009
Back from up north with the Wings up 3-1 in the series. So far I'm looking good on my prediction of a 5 game series. I don't believe that the Hawks will just roll over in game 5. Just think the Wings are to much. Should be a better game than game 4 thou.
kelmac07 12:46 PM 05-25-2009
Is it gonna be another repeat from last year Stanley Cup? Or has Pittsburgh gotten over the hump?
SmokeyJoe 12:58 PM 05-25-2009

T
Wasn't able to see the game, so I can't comment on any elbow hit... all I can say is, Cole doesn't have the reputation for that, and he has been in the league a while. Also, putting a career-ender on the brother of a close friend and teammate???

No way to spin the butt-kickin' the Penguins have put on the Carolina boys. We will see what the the Hurricanes are made of Tuesday night.
alley00p 01:00 PM 05-25-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Is it gonna be another repeat from last year Stanley Cup? Or has Pittsburgh gotten over the hump?
If it ends up a repeat of last year, it's gonna be a much tougher Penguins out there! They have a lot more playoff experience than they had in last year's finals, and there are some key Wings players who may or may not be able to play in the finals!

I still have a lot of faith in my Red Wings, but it's definately gonna be a tougher series.

And, IF (and that's a big IF) the Hawks could pull some magic out of their hats, they will never get by Pittsburgh!

Go Red Wings!!!

:-)
icehog3 02:16 PM 05-25-2009
Hawks youth showed through yesterday, and Huet is no Khabibulin. Congrats to the Wings on a dominating performance. That 5 game prediction looks pretty good right now, James, though I know the Hawks will put forth a better effort....and maybe Bulin will be able to go.
357 09:43 PM 05-25-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Hawks youth showed through yesterday, and Huet is no Khabibulin. Congrats to the Wings on a dominating performance. That 5 game prediction looks pretty good right now, James, though I know the Hawks will put forth a better effort....and maybe Bulin will be able to go.
I hear Datsyuk will be back for Game 5. I hope Lidstrom will be too. Those are two HUGE losses and yet dominance in Game 4. Not to mention on CBC they were speculating that Osgood might have aggrevated a previous injury. I hope the Wings close it out at home in Game 5. Then they can move onto the Pens.
357 09:44 PM 05-25-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
I'm sure the Pens will put up more of a fight than last year, but the style of play and overall talent the Wings will throw at them seems to be a tough matchup for the Pens. I think we'll find out soon enough.

Mike
icehog3 10:49 PM 05-25-2009
Originally Posted by 357:
I hope the Wings close it out at home in Game 5.
Please excuse me if I root for them to fly back to Chicago this weekend. :-)
GHC_Hambone 12:11 AM 05-26-2009
I have to say I'm worried about the Hawks goaltending next year. Huet never really showed much this year, and Game 4 was quite embarrassing. With Khabibulin's contract up, I'm doubtful we will keep him around. Dale Talon dug himself into a mess here.
Partagaspete 10:46 AM 05-26-2009
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe:
Wasn't able to see the game, so I can't comment on any elbow hit... all I can say is, Cole doesn't have the reputation for that, and he has been in the league a while. Also, putting a career-ender on the brother of a close friend and teammate???

No way to spin the butt-kickin' the Penguins have put on the Carolina boys. We will see what the the Hurricanes are made of Tuesday night.
The elbow was someones else I think and it was pretty vicious, IMHO. I am not a guy who sits here and says oh that was a penalty and I am definitely not a homer (as I am an Isles fan anyway). That being said I do appreciate you info on Cole since I really do not know his history but I do truly feel he has thrown quite a few knee on knee hits in this particular series.

Thanks again.

T
gpugliese 11:16 AM 05-26-2009
The elbow was someones else I think and it was pretty vicious, IMHO. I am not a guy who sits here and says oh that was a penalty and I am definitely not a homer (as I am an Isles fan anyway). That being said I do appreciate you info on Cole since I really do not know his history but I do truly feel he has thrown quite a few knee on knee hits in this particular series.
I don't watch the Hurricanes often (I'm a Rangers fan), but as of late whenever I notice Cole, especially in these playoffs, he's playing a bit dirty. I know he doesn't have the reputation of a Tucker, Ruutu or an Avery (which is more trash talking than actual dirty hits/injuries), but he's quickly gotten himself on my "hate" list...

That is, "dirty" players who you hate when they're on another team but love if they are on your own team, ie: Theo Fleury, aforementioned Sean Avery, Darius Kasparaitis (when he didn't suck), Matt Barnaby, Chris Pronger, etc.
icehog3 11:58 AM 05-26-2009
Originally Posted by GHC_Hambone:
I have to say I'm worried about the Hawks goaltending next year. Huet never really showed much this year, and Game 4 was quite embarrassing. With Khabibulin's contract up, I'm doubtful we will keep him around. Dale Talon dug himself into a mess here.
You have every reason to worry. I don't think Huet is "the" goalie, and they couldn't reasonably resign Khabibulin unless they moved Huet's contract before July 1sy (Free Agency)...and with the ridiculous contract Tallon signed Huet to, that ain't gonna happen.

So....we can go with Huet and one of the Rockford boys (Crawford, Nietti) next seaon. Or trade Huet and go completely "youthful" with Crawford AND Nietti.....or we can try to acquire another goalie in free agency and hope we can move Huet.

Anyway you look at it, it doesn't look great. :-)
Page 81 of 104
« First < 3171798081 828391 > Last »
Up