Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 81 of 350
« First < 3171798081 828391131181 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
PeteSB75 06:24 AM 03-26-2009
Back day today. Nothing too exciting, good sets on pullup assist, t-bar, low row, and close grip lat pulldown.
The Professor 06:31 AM 03-26-2009
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
Back day today. Nothing too exciting, good sets on pullup assist, t-bar, low row, and close grip lat pulldown.
Sounds good, Pete.

I did a leg day for the first time in a few weeks today.

Stiff-legged deads: 135 x 10, 185 x 8, 225 x 5, 225 x 6, 225 x 6
Squat: 135 x 12, 135 x 12
Box squat: 135 x 3, 185 x 3, 225 x 3 for 5 sets (more or less on the clock)
Leg press: 6p x 10, 8p x 7, 10p x 5 for 3 sets

That was it. I'm wobbly after not doing legs for a while. I like that feeling. :-)
icehog3 08:27 AM 03-26-2009
Originally Posted by The Professor:
Sounds good, Pete.

That was it. I'm wobbly after not doing legs for a while. I like that feeling. :-)
Good one on ya, Dokk! :-)

I am off for my last workout until Monday....good thing too, between no days off in the gym this week and playoff hockey, I'm about spent. :-)
The Professor 08:49 AM 03-26-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Good one on ya, Dokk! :-)

I am off for my last workout until Monday....good thing too, between no days off in the gym this week and playoff hockey, I'm about spent. :-)
I'm sure you're have an enjoyable and well deserved rest. :-)
Mugen910 09:07 AM 03-26-2009
:-)

That was it. I'm wobbly after not doing legs for a while. I like that feeling.
Nice Dokk!

Originally Posted by icehog3:
I am off for my last workout until Monday....good thing too, between no days off in the gym this week and playoff hockey, I'm about spent.
Get your rest Sir..

I got in 10.3 miles last night...first 3 miles sucked due to shin pains but once my body warmed up I was ok.. Tonight is another 5 miles and then some light weights.. :-) Getting closer to the Marathon. :-)
DavenportESQ 09:26 AM 03-26-2009
Sounds good, Pete.

I like the looks of that leg workout! The box squats were a nice touch
The Professor 09:38 AM 03-26-2009
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ:
I like the looks of that leg workout! The box squats were a nice touch
That last set was a b*+ch! :-) And my obliques are killing me from being used as stabilizers Tuesday and today, plus the exercises I did yesterday. Oy. I'm a fragile little unicorn....

True, semi-random story: Two guys who are always there when I'm there (and are generally pretty serious about their routines) have a lame leg day. Neither breaks parallel on squats. Neither gets a full ROM on leg press (maybe 6-8" of travel). They use the hams machine instead of just doing some stiff-legged deads or pullthroughs. It's mildly disappointing. Their other sessions are generally pretty good -- nice combo of back exercises, good chest and tri sets, etc. I keep meaning to introduce myself because I'd be happy to fill in if one was ever sick or whatever (since we have a very similar split).

Anyway ... I'll probably
PeteSB75 09:44 AM 03-26-2009
That last set was a b*+ch! :-) And my obliques are killing me from being used as stabilizers Tuesday and today, plus the exercises I did yesterday. Oy. I'm a fragile little unicorn....

True, semi-random story: Two guys who are always there when I'm there (and are generally pretty serious about their routines) have a lame leg day. Neither breaks parallel on squats. Neither gets a full ROM on leg press (maybe 6-8" of travel). They use the hams machine instead of just doing some stiff-legged deads or pullthroughs. It's mildly disappointing. Their other sessions are generally pretty good -- nice combo of back exercises, good chest and tri sets, etc. I keep meaning to introduce myself because I'd be happy to fill in if one was ever sick or whatever (since we have a very similar split).

Anyway ... I'll probably
I don't know about you, but I see far too many guys in the gym who don't do real leg routines. Half squats, never a deadlift to be found, all the focus on the upper body. I always wonder if they realize how much they are impeding muscle growth everywhere else by not growing the largest testosterone producers in the body.
The Professor 08:11 AM 03-27-2009
I don't know about you, but I see far too many guys in the gym who don't do real leg routines. Half squats, never a deadlift to be found, all the focus on the upper body. I always wonder if they realize how much they are impeding muscle growth everywhere else by not growing the largest testosterone producers in the body.
Word, brutha. :-)

Shoulders/Bis/Traps Day today

DB presses: 3 x 5 @ 45
Smith presses (seated): 3 x 5-6 @ 100
Cable rear delt raises: 10 @ 20/side, 6 @ 25/side, 9 @ 20/side
Zemekone rear delt raises: 10 @ 45, 7 @ 55, 10 @ 45, 8 @ 45

Cable EZ bar curls: 3 x 10,9,8 @ 80
One-arm cable curls: 3 x 5,6,5 @ 30 (superset with the EZ curls with no rest)

DB shrugs: 10 @ 55, 10 @ 65, 9 @ 65
BB shrugs: 3 x 10 @ 180

While last Friday was my first day trying shoulders since November, today was the first day really hitting them as hard as I could. My press numbers are close to what they used to be. My rear delts, though, have suffered something fierce. Granted, I was doing my rear delt exercises with as close to strict form as I could muster (even consulted the Arnold book before going in); regardless, the numbers are not at all where I should be if I want to be improving my bench or ever be doing pull-ups. :-)

Also, I decided on a 30ish day goal for myself: 185 1RM on the flat bench. I want to do this on my birthday (April 29th). Frank and Dave: if either of you has advice or a program to offer, please hook a bruddah up. :-)

Okay ... enough rambling from me. My body is wrecked after this week and I'm looking forward to the rest over the weekend. After a week of using NanoVapor, I'm not sure what to think. I never noticed the rush I got from WF. That said, I had one of the most intense weeks in the gym in a long time. So I'm still torn....
zonedar 08:14 AM 03-27-2009
Okay, I gotta ask...

What's a Zemekone rear delt raise?
The Professor 08:37 AM 03-27-2009
Originally Posted by zonedar:
Okay, I gotta ask...

What's a Zemekone rear delt raise?
Go to the cable low-row machine. Put a rope on it (usually has a v-bar or straight bar on it). Grip the rope with an overhand grip -- this inside of your wrists will be facing each other and your thumbs will be pointing toward the weight stack. You know the metal piece in the middle of the two rope halves (the part hooked to the machine)? Well, the goal is to pull that to your nose. So your pulling back/up and out. At the top of the movement, your thumb tips are facing in to your nose at about the same level/height.

Try it once with a very very low weight so you can feel the movement and see how it hits your rear delts. If you pause for a second at the top, you can get a nice flex of your rear delts in and you definitely feel it.

Does all of that make sense?
zonedar 08:43 AM 03-27-2009
Yeah. That makes lots of sense. I can imagine that it really works the delts. I'll try that on my next back/shoulder day. Thanks!
PeteSB75 09:47 AM 03-27-2009
Go to the cable low-row machine. Put a rope on it (usually has a v-bar or straight bar on it). Grip the rope with an overhand grip -- this inside of your wrists will be facing each other and your thumbs will be pointing toward the weight stack. You know the metal piece in the middle of the two rope halves (the part hooked to the machine)? Well, the goal is to pull that to your nose. So your pulling back/up and out. At the top of the movement, your thumb tips are facing in to your nose at about the same level/height.

Try it once with a very very low weight so you can feel the movement and see how it hits your rear delts. If you pause for a second at the top, you can get a nice flex of your rear delts in and you definitely feel it.

Does all of that make sense?
You use normal seated position for that? And, arms parallel to the ground, or elbows up to pull the rope up to your face?
The Professor 09:55 AM 03-27-2009
You use normal seated position for that? And, arms parallel to the ground, or elbows up to pull the rope up to your face?
Seated; but not as far back as for low rows (because then you can't bring the rope up far enough). So I was seated with my back straight up (90*) and my legs much more bent compared to when doing LRs.

In terms of elbows, they are up and out -- probably a little higher than your wrists at the start position -- to pull the rope up to your face.

BTW ... don't hit your nose too hard. :-)
PeteSB75 12:18 PM 03-27-2009
Seated; but not as far back as for low rows (because then you can't bring the rope up far enough). So I was seated with my back straight up (90*) and my legs much more bent compared to when doing LRs.

In terms of elbows, they are up and out -- probably a little higher than your wrists at the start position -- to pull the rope up to your face.

BTW ... don't hit your nose too hard. :-)
Thanks. Gotta try that next back day.
BigFrank 07:32 PM 03-27-2009
Skipped gym today, went to the movies. Legs hopefully in the a.m. then benching on sunday. I hate it when my schedule gets messed up.
The Professor 06:53 AM 03-30-2009
Took the weekend off for herfing and open house. My legs are STILL sore from Thursday; but at least I can walk mostly normal today. :-) Still ... it didn't help my bench at all.

On the other hand...

...I had my BEST chest day EVER, today. :-) :-)

Flat barbell: 100 x 10, 115 x 10, 135 x 6, 145 x 5, 155 x 3, 160 x 2, 165 x 1 (failed on #2 ... and had a spotter to save my ass)

Incline barbell: 95 x 12, 115 x 8, 125 x 6,6,5

Dip machine: 200 x 10,9,8

Supersets of various triceps exercises to failure.

PR #1: 165 bench
PR #2: 125 for reps on incline
PR #3: 200 for reps on dip machine

I'm really celebrating PR #1 because it's a huge comeback after my injury (as is the incline, for which I couldn't do *just bar* a month ago). It also means I might just be able to reach 185 by my birthday. :-) BTW, I think I could have done 170 for 1; but I didn't want to bother the person I asked to spot me the first time.

Good lifting to all!!! :-)
PeteSB75 08:06 AM 03-30-2009
Did a full body on Saturday,
Squated 250x5 for 3 sets, new PR for me,
Standing OH Press 115x5 3 sets
Deads 185x5 new PR

Then i went to spin with my GF yesterday. That class kicked my ass.
Mugen910 08:41 AM 03-30-2009

Then i went to spin with my GF yesterday. That class kicked my ass.
Spin is no joke man..the horror stories I've heard.

Well the GF and I topped off our marathon training this weekend. Maxed out at 19miles and the next 2 weeks are for tapering down our running till the big day. We've been training since late Dec early Jan. :-)

Gonna hit some light weights tonight at the gym and prob loosen the legs up with some biking.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.
icehog3 02:37 PM 03-30-2009
Back in the gym after taking a 3 day weekend off....hope y'all had great workout weekends. :-)
Page 81 of 350
« First < 3171798081 828391131181 > Last »
Up