Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 8 of 27
« First < 678 91018 > Last »
Sports>Official SEC Football Thread 2012
hammondc 09:10 AM 10-07-2012
Originally Posted by ir13:
Should be a SEC East Title on the line for that game unless something stupid happens to either of us next week.
Yep. Some of my delusional Gamecocks fan friends are already jibber jabbing about a national championship. I suppose in all of their excitement, they forgot the absolutely brutal schedule that USC has for the next few weeks. I am pretty sure they can take down LSU on the road, but the Gators** on the road will be a challenge. I am reserving all National Championship talk until after October 20.

If they continue playing like they did last night, I think a NC game could be in the cards for this year. BUT....I am a 34 year fan and am well versed in how inconsistent they can be.

** I am still not convinced of the UF hype. Like USC, they have played no-one, really. USC beat a grossly overrated GA and UF beat a LSU team that is on a rapid spiral downward. That is it. IMHO, LSU doesn't even belong in the top 10 any longer.
[Reply]
ir13 12:03 PM 10-07-2012
Originally Posted by hammondc:
Yep. Some of my delusional Gamecocks fan friends are already jibber jabbing about a national championship. I suppose in all of their excitement, they forgot the absolutely brutal schedule that USC has for the next few weeks. I am pretty sure they can take down LSU on the road, but the Gators** on the road will be a challenge. I am reserving all National Championship talk until after October 20.

If they continue playing like they did last night, I think a NC game could be in the cards for this year. BUT....I am a 34 year fan and am well versed in how inconsistent they can be.

** I am still not convinced of the UF hype. Like USC, they have played no-one, really. USC beat a grossly overrated GA and UF beat a LSU team that is on a rapid spiral downward. That is it. IMHO, LSU doesn't even belong in the top 10 any longer.
With the schedule we have, a NC is possible, but if you dont take it one game at a time you wont ever get there.

Im actually thinking of going to go to FL if we get past LSU, but i also believe the UT game isnt going to be as easy as everyone is thinking.

That being said, if we get past LSU and UF, we are going to def be in the NC mix.
[Reply]
hammondc 12:36 PM 10-07-2012
I agree and that is more the mentality I have.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 12:38 PM 10-07-2012
"Gators" Was that really neccesary?:-)
[Reply]
pnoon 12:47 PM 10-07-2012
Originally Posted by Tio Gato:
"Gators" Was that really neccesary?:-)
No.
Taken care of.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 01:01 PM 10-07-2012
Thank you Peter!:-)
[Reply]
hammondc 07:14 AM 10-08-2012
Sorry.
[Reply]
OLS 07:35 AM 10-08-2012
This thread is a fantasy world. :-)
[Reply]
hammondc 07:47 AM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by OLS:
This thread is a fantasy world. :-)
glad you are enjoying it.
[Reply]
Powers 09:02 AM 10-08-2012
Physically punishing offensive line and a strong downhill runner who dominates the second half. A defense that is relentless. A great coaching staff who makes crucial, game winning adjustments at halftime.

Although that has routinely been Bama and LSU the past couple years - its the Gators this one!

Plus FSU and Georgia went down so my football weekend was outstanding :-)

And day-um if USC don't look awesome. That'll be another great SEC matchup :-)
[Reply]
OLS 10:12 AM 10-08-2012
I was pleased to see UF looking not just better, but quieting this kind of general disbelief in the SEC ranks.....
"UF LOOKS like they might be able to get out of their own way, but once they meet (insert your homer team here)
comes to town, we'll REALLY SEE what they're made of ". Likely not surprising given the weak showings
over the last couple of years. They looked like the genuine article to me this weekend. I have no baseline for
South Carolina....not familiar enough with them. "Better" certainly goes without saying it would seem.

How's the Undefeated Clemson Team, the one the pundits had in the super bowl? (ahh, only lost to FSU...)
[Reply]
hammondc 11:31 AM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by OLS:
I was pleased to see UF looking not just better, but quieting this kind of general disbelief in the SEC ranks.....
"UF LOOKS like they might be able to get out of their own way, but once they meet (insert your homer team here)
comes to town, we'll REALLY SEE what they're made of ". Likely not surprising given the weak showings
over the last couple of years. They looked like the genuine article to me this weekend. I have no baseline for
South Carolina....not familiar enough with them. "Better" certainly goes without saying it would seem.

How's the Undefeated Clemson Team, the one the pundits had in the super bowl? (ahh, only lost to FSU...)
Pretty much agree with all of this. Clemson is still Clemson.
[Reply]
OLS 06:21 AM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by Powers:
Although that has routinely been Bama and LSU the past couple years - its the Gators this one! :-)
I think the Tigers are beatable by anyone in 2012....we'll see who takes advantage.
[Reply]
BLKSVT 06:59 AM 10-09-2012
As a Georgia fan I was very upset with their showing Sat night in Columbia. Mark did not bring a team to play and the players were nowhere near ready for USC. I don't think they are overated I think they were not ready period.
[Reply]
Powers 08:46 AM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by BLKSVT:
As a Georgia fan I was very upset with their showing Sat night in Columbia. Mark did not bring a team to play and the players were nowhere near ready for USC. I don't think they are overated I think they were not ready period.
I've held the opinion during Richt's whole tenure that he is merely an above average coach who does not win the big game nor beat rivals (read Florida) routinely. If Georgia wants to be elite I can't fathom why y'all have kept him so long but as a Florida fan I love it :-)
[Reply]
OLS 06:50 AM 10-12-2012
I think he has that nice guy factor that people just don't want to fire. I think I see Bobby Petrino coming way down the road.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 07:10 PM 10-13-2012
Well, Ole Miss got their first SEC win in two years. And Auburn is in a free fall.

Oh..... Oh..... Oh..... Spurrier almost threw his hat down.!!! Got close. Had it in hand, just couldn't let it go!!! Vandy isn't going down as easy as Florida probably thought they would.

Bama's defense pulled them thru, especially after that 35 minute lightning delay seemed to stiffen up all the joints on the offense.

Sideline babe on the Tenn/Miss. St. game has on enough makeup to start her own counter at Macy's!!!

Bouncing between LSU/SC and Tenn/MissSt games.
[Reply]
oooo35980 08:35 PM 10-13-2012
I rarely root for LSU, but I'd like to see the Gamecocks lose because my wife is from Charleston. Even if the Gamecocks pull another one out it's been a very good game thus far.

Bama must have went into the locker room and had some early celebratory brews or something during the break, they were making mistakes and just moving slower when it was time to come back. Thankfully the Bama defense is a beast or that could have gotten ugly. Oh well now maybe people will shut up about how Saban was trash talking the hurry up offense because his team can't defend against it.

It's hard to believe Auburn was NC 2 years ago, they look worse than I've ever seen them. When beating Vanderbilt is your big chance at redemption and It's looking like a long shot, you know the season is in the toilet.
[Reply]
oooo35980 09:32 PM 10-13-2012
This SC LSU game is a nail biter, best game I've seen this season. 10 seconds to go looking for a big play on either side, interception! Gamecocks no longer #3. I love the SEC.
[Reply]
hammondc 10:09 PM 10-13-2012
Well done LSU. Good game.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 27
« First < 678 91018 > Last »
Up