Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 8 of 11
« First < 678 910 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>CC's or NC's?
akumushi 09:14 PM 03-31-2012
Originally Posted by thecatch83:
Purchasing Cuban cigars is not illegal.....you just can't bring them into the states.
Technically, I believe this is incorrect. As far as I understand the trading with the enemy laws, it is illegal for an American citizen to purchase and smoke a Cuban cigar, whether it is in France, Cuba or Canada. Now, you can do so without much fear of being caught, because who would be procecuting you? But still, it's technically illegal. Just as if you bought something from Iran while vacationing in Iraq, it's doesn't matter if you're not trying to bring something home that's illegal, it's the fact that you're engaging in trade and therefore breaking embargos/sanctions against a sworn enemy of the united states.
:-)
[Reply]
Stick 09:17 PM 03-31-2012
Purchasing Cuban cigars is not illegal.....you just can't bring them into the states.
Yep, pretty sure Clayton has it correct.

"The Regulations prohibit any person subject to U.S. jurisdiction from dealing in any property in which Cuba or a Cuban national has or has had any interest. Under the Regulations, “property” is very broadly defined and includes such things as contracts and services. For example, unless authorized, persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction (including U.S. overseas subsidiaries) may not purchase Cuban cigars in third countries...

Link
[Reply]
CRIMPS 10:37 AM 04-01-2012
The driver of this thread was surely drunk. I dont even remember what the original post was about. Something about really fat **** stars, I think.

Swerves.
[Reply]
Islayphile 04:00 PM 04-01-2012
I have a question for all of you guys who smoke Cubans...

Do you prefer the arm, the leg or the wing?
[Reply]
OLS 04:30 PM 04-01-2012
I would say that nothing could be further from the truth, but the second part of your sentence was correct.
NO AMERICAN is allowed to purchase ANY PRODUCT in which a cuban has any interest.
No matter where you buy them, if the product is one in which a cuban benefits, you
cannot buy it. So no matter who bought the cigars from cuba to sell to whomever, no matter
where they sell them, as an American citizen you cannot legally be involved in the chain of transactions
in any way. If a cuban built the tire valve stem caps in a mercedes-benz roadster and was paid to do so,
you could not buy that car. If you are in London, you cannot buy a cuban cigar if you are an American.
If you are in Mexico, you cannot buy a cuban cigar. if you are at the North Pole, well, you get the idea.

The intention of the US embargo against Cuba is to keep our cash out of their hands. It is NOT to keep
cuban products out of the United States per se. It doesn't matter where you do it, if you benefit a cuban
through a transaction anywhere on the globe, you have "hurt the USA" and "helped Cuba"
Clayton is on a bit of roll lately, sorry I did not read his response to your reply first. He is correct in every way.
[Reply]
E.J. 06:41 PM 04-01-2012
Man, I went read the whole thing.....:-)

I love both. Went on vacation and my filled 30ct traveler was close to 50\50...

A lot like the arguments over the Tat releases or where JohnnyO gets his tobacco ect, I wonder why people get so intense(is that a good word), about rolled tobacco leafs....

I have to assume people feel there always has to be a line in the sand.....:-)

My name is E.J., I like to smoke cigars.....if they are tasty, I don't care where they are rolled.... I have smoked tasty cigars from many different Countries....
[Reply]
RWhisenand 09:40 PM 04-01-2012
Originally Posted by OLS:
I would say that nothing could be further from the truth, ...

The intention of the US embargo against Cuba is to keep our cash out of their hands. It is NOT to keep
cuban products out of the United States per se. It doesn't matter where you do it, if you benefit a cuban
through a transaction anywhere on the globe, you have "hurt the USA" and "helped Cuba"
Clayton is on a bit of roll lately, sorry I did not read his response to your reply first. He is correct in every way.
http://www.cubatrade.org/

We trade with Cuba all the time.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:49 PM 04-01-2012
Originally Posted by RWhisenand:
http://www.cubatrade.org/

We trade with Cuba all the time.
Rob, I think the point is that the average citizen is prohibited from engaging in economic activity with Cuba.
[Reply]
RWhisenand 09:52 PM 04-01-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Rob, I think the point is that the average citizen is prohibited from engaging in economic activity with Cuba.
Oh for sure I agree with you, its unfortunate too.
[Reply]
BMack 03:47 PM 04-05-2012
I don't speed either. :-)
[Reply]
lilninjabuddy 11:19 AM 04-07-2012
Hey Brian!
[Reply]
Apexkingjusto 02:05 PM 04-07-2012
So if I'm Swiss and my buddy is French and we somehow had Cuban cigars in the us could I sell them to my friend :-):-)
[Reply]
markem 03:48 PM 04-07-2012
Originally Posted by Apexkingjusto:
So if I'm Swiss and my buddy is French and we somehow had Cuban cigars in the us could I sell them to my friend :-):-)
As long as they were legally here and you did not use US funds (several people have been caught by that last technicality which should work its way though the World Court in about 100 years).
[Reply]
Stephen 04:17 PM 04-07-2012
So if I'm Swiss and my buddy is French and we somehow had Cuban cigars
Your buddy would surrender to the Cuban cigars and you'd want no part of the affair.
[Reply]
oooo35980 04:19 PM 04-07-2012
Originally Posted by Stephen:
Your buddy would surrender to the Cuban cigars and you'd want no part of the affair.
[Reply]
icehog3 06:16 PM 04-07-2012
I don't have any French buddies....by choice. :-)
[Reply]
pektel 09:34 PM 04-07-2012
Been smoking a few nc's over the last few days because of this thread. 2 most notable were the lgc artisanos de Miami, and a tat anarchy.

My take on nc's vs cc's as of the last few days: the nc's, while very good, are almost "cigars for dummies." Not because of skill level or intelligance level of the smoker, but everything is "in your face" apparent with nc's. I didn't need to focus on the cigar to notice all the flavors. They are "easy" cigars to me, if that makes sense.

Cc's, to me, take attention and focus, and the rewards are great once you take the time to appreciate them. You have to pay attention to the burn, the draw, the retrohale, the subtleties and nuances that seem to only occur in cc's. In my experience, smoking a cc is more involved, and more ritualistic.

Kind of like driving a manual vs automatic transmission.

My two cents, after a few drinks. YMMV.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
icehog3 09:14 AM 04-08-2012
Interesting analogy, Peter. I definitely agree with many NCs being an "in your face" smoke compared to most CC's, and there are many who prefer that type of smoke. That's what makes the cigar world go 'round. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 10:34 AM 04-08-2012
Originally Posted by Stephen:
That made me lol.
[Reply]
shilala 10:38 AM 04-08-2012
Originally Posted by Stick:
Yep, pretty sure Clayton has it correct.

"The Regulations prohibit any person subject to U.S. jurisdiction from dealing in any property in which Cuba or a Cuban national has or has had any interest. Under the Regulations, “property” is very broadly defined and includes such things as contracts and services. For example, unless authorized, persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction (including U.S. overseas subsidiaries) may not purchase Cuban cigars in third countries...

Link
Clayton outlined the chain really well. From my understanding, I can't even smoke a cc legally, regardless of where I got it or where I am in the world.
It never really made sense to me until I just saw "trading with the enemy".
If I smoke that cc, even though I don't have a dime in it, they profit from making it. That makes the spirit of the law make sense.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 11
« First < 678 910 > Last »
Up