Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 8 of 32
« First < 678 91018 > Last »
General Discussion>Gardeners in the Asylum
BC-Axeman 02:02 PM 06-02-2012
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
Three pickings of green beans already done, with the last two pickings almost filling up plastic grocery sacks. And from only two short 10 foot rows. (already processed, so no photos).
"Two short 10 foot rows" of green beans. Yeah, right. We still have left overs from last year on one "short 10 foot row". And we've been eating them regularly. And we replanted that row.

Corn looks :-).
[Reply]
SvilleKid 07:37 PM 06-03-2012
Kinda "gardening"......

From a buddy's family homestead. Up in the hills, really accessible only with 4WD. The only way to pick blackberries! From the driver's seat of my old Pathfinder. With the A/C on. With the radio punching out classic R & R! I picked 3 quarts in about 2 hours without leaving the seat of the Pathfinder. Hard to beat!

About half the berries were thumbnail size. Love wild black berries!

[Reply]
Melissa 09:07 AM 06-04-2012
those look derish!
Out of all of the peppers that I planted the Cayenne Long Slim are starting to produce already. I can't wait to make a bunch of sauces and salsas, using habenero is my favorite though.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 10:41 AM 06-04-2012
We get blackberries in August. And yeah, the best ones are picked that same way.
Blackberry cobbler!
[Reply]
shilala 11:10 AM 06-12-2012
I have some garden pics for you guys. I just finished pounding tomato stakes and tying them up, so I took some pics while I was out there.

New little red flower that showed up in the wildflower garden this morning...

View from the swamp...

Tomatoes. One garden is Romas, the other are a variety...

[Reply]
shilala 11:12 AM 06-12-2012
Here's the other stuff.
Banana Peppers and Green Peppers...

There's punkins, two honeydews, and watermelons...

Bush Cucumbers, Zuchini and Jalapenos...

And THE CORN!!! :-)

[Reply]
BC-Axeman 11:27 AM 06-12-2012
You crack me up, Scott! Who needs a lawn anyway? Critters aren't a problem?
[Reply]
shilala 11:41 AM 06-12-2012
The pictures lie, Lance. There's tons of lawn. There's great big walkways between the gardens, too. They honestly look small back there.
We don't have any critters at all, just Ravens and they stay busy eating dead stuff and garbage. It's a new development, so there's not even a bunny rabbit to be seen.
The deer used to come off the gold course (we live right on the 14th green) and pass right next to the house, but since they built the one next door, they go through the empty lot a couple doors down.
[Reply]
lilcgrsmkr 11:52 AM 06-12-2012
yum:-) my husband grows all types of peppers. we are going to try figs.. we'll see how that goes.. we have blueberries, started this year..still small and alittle tart still...
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
Kinda "gardening"......

From a buddy's family homestead. Up in the hills, really accessible only with 4WD. The only way to pick blackberries! From the driver's seat of my old Pathfinder. With the A/C on. With the radio punching out classic R & R! I picked 3 quarts in about 2 hours without leaving the seat of the Pathfinder. Hard to beat!

About half the berries were thumbnail size. Love wild black berries!

[Reply]
Mr B 03:55 PM 06-12-2012
Very cool Scott. How do you water? Is there drip system below the matting or do you sprinkler from above?
[Reply]
lilcgrsmkr 04:55 PM 06-12-2012
nice! where do you live? i live in south bay ca ( near torrance) we have a small area compared to you:-). we have tomatoes, blueberries, beets, all different kinds of peppers, had cabbage, green onions, horseradish, squash.

Originally Posted by shilala:
I have some garden pics for you guys. I just finished pounding tomato stakes and tying them up, so I took some pics while I was out there.

New little red flower that showed up in the wildflower garden this morning...

View from the swamp...

Tomatoes. One garden is Romas, the other are a variety...

[Reply]
lilcgrsmkr 04:57 PM 06-12-2012
they are huge
[Reply]
SvilleKid 07:07 PM 06-13-2012
Corn is now in! First come, first serve. NOT putting any of it up this year (still have a bunch in freezer from last year). 58 ears from this last picking. Probably have picked 20-25 ears over last 7-10 days as they were ready. Big rain 2 days ago pretty much kicked the rest into high gear, so had to pick today.

I'm picking this many green beans every 2-3 days from 2 short seven-foot single rows (I finally measured them). I had not planned to put any beans up this year, but went ahead and canned 15 pints this past weekend.

Picked a few tomatoes today. Almost all are Roma grape variety. Full-size Romas and others varieties will start coming in next week, so I'll be canning tomatoes and sauce in a week or so.

Finally, Picked 2 quarts of blackberries from the fence line beside the garden:

I also picked enough cucumbers this past weekend to put up 20 half-pints of pickles (No pix)
[Reply]
shilala 01:25 AM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by Mr B:
Very cool Scott. How do you water? Is there drip system below the matting or do you sprinkler from above?
We have sprinklers. There's a fertilizer injector in a vault outside and it shoots a constant supply of Miracle Grow.
I just started working on the back lawn, filling in spots and hyper fertilizing it. The front is super thick and lush and green, the back, not so much. The beginning of last summer it was like a strip mine, so it's come a long, long way.
Tonight I just picked up another bag of fertilizer and 4 more bags of lawn soil/compost to finish patching, so things will look great come Fall.
[Reply]
shilala 01:28 AM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by lilcgrsmkr:
nice! where do you live? i live in south bay ca ( near torrance) we have a small area compared to you:-). we have tomatoes, blueberries, beets, all different kinds of peppers, had cabbage, green onions, horseradish, squash.
We live just south of Cleveland. I just had a little garden last year, it's nice to have a half decent one this year!!! :-)
[Reply]
lilcgrsmkr 12:02 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
We live just south of Cleveland. I just had a little garden last year, it's nice to have a half decent one this year!!! :-)
oh.. very nice:-) it's great to walk outside and get fresh produce and know where they come from...:-)
[Reply]
AUguy 03:59 PM 06-14-2012
If any of you live in the north jersey area and have some holes to fill in your garden you should seriously hit me up.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 05:30 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by AUguy:
If any of you live in the north jersey area and have some holes to fill in your garden you should seriously hit me up.
Hmmm...:-)
:-)
[Reply]
AUguy 05:34 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
Hmmm...:-)
I sell veggie plants. My season is winding down and I have an abundance of inventory that is either going to the dump or to a botl's garden. :-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 05:38 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by AUguy:
I sell veggie plants. My season is winding down and I have an abundance of inventory that is either going to the dump or to a botl's garden. :-)
Oooohhhh, that's a relief. :-)
Yep, the season is getting late now.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 32
« First < 678 91018 > Last »
Up