Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 8 of 18
« First < 678 910 > Last »
General Discussion>2012 Fantasy Baseball For Stakes And The Troops
Mattso3000 05:55 PM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by thecatch83:
I've won a couple leagues using that strategy.....but I think I will try and make the live draft this time around. After playing fantasy sports for nearly 20 years, it all comes down to injuries and waiver pick ups! The season isn't won or lost on draft day :-)
So true. I'm the king of over-thinking things and mismanaging my team into the ground after a good draft. So much fun to draft, though.
[Reply]
shilala 08:12 AM 03-24-2012
Originally Posted by blugill:
A question, with the staggered opening day games, when does the fantasy week start and end in a head to head league?
It will start on opening day and end on Sunday.
The league week runs Monday-Sunday. If it's shortened for whatever reason (like the All-Star break or opening week) it doesn't matter.
[Reply]
shilala 08:18 AM 03-24-2012
1. shilala (scott) signed up
2. Jarrod (JenksAnejo) signed up
3. Stephen (stephen) signed up
4. Matty (mattso3000) signed up
5. Mark (mkarnold1) signed up
6. Mike (Coach Deg) signing up tonight
7. Dom (jonumberone) on vacation, will sign up as soon as he gets home
8.Albert (awsmith4) signed up
9. Coach Mike's Ringer (he who has yet to be named)
10. TheGhoulbags (Jake)
11. thecatch83 (Ty) signed up
12. blugill (Andy) signed up
I'll amend a list with everyone's username/name/Yahoo name as soon as Dom, Mike and Mike Jr. get signed up. :-)
[Reply]
blugill 10:14 AM 03-24-2012
Thanks Scott!
I've just never tried a competitive baseball league before.
Forgive the newbie questions:-)
[Reply]
shilala 11:55 AM 03-24-2012
Ask as many questions as you need to, Andy. It's really pretty easy, but the more you know, the more fun it is.
Make sure to root around at Yahoo, too. When you go to the main (league page), check the link to scoring and settings up top on the right. That's basically all the "rules". If not rules, it kinda tells you how this all works. If there are any terms or categories you don't fully understand, please ask. Someone will certainly help.
After the draft, you'll need to know how to pick up free agents from waivers. You can see that stuff by going to the "Players" tab on the league page. It's really very simple.
You'll also need to learn how to set up your team for the week. Some days you'll have guys that don't play. You'll want to put your bench guys in for those guys.
You can set your line-ups for 5 or 6 days ahead. The system won't tell when you're pitchers will be starting until like 3 days before their start. That's because no one knows what the rotation will look like in four or five days, all they could do is guess.
Once you get the hang of it, it only takes a cup of coffee to check your team, and you really only have to check it every few days unless you're super hard-core or really enjoy it.
I enjoy it. And I'm super hard-core. :-)
[Reply]
Stephen 12:29 PM 03-24-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
Ask as many questions as you need to, Andy. It's really pretty easy, but the more you know, the more fun it is.
Make sure to root around at Yahoo, too. When you go to the main (league page), check the link to scoring and settings up top on the right. That's basically all the "rules". If not rules, it kinda tells you how this all works. If there are any terms or categories you don't fully understand, please ask. Someone will certainly help.
After the draft, you'll need to know how to pick up free agents from waivers. You can see that stuff by going to the "Players" tab on the league page. It's really very simple.
You'll also need to learn how to set up your team for the week. Some days you'll have guys that don't play. You'll want to put your bench guys in for those guys.
You can set your line-ups for 5 or 6 days ahead. The system won't tell when you're pitchers will be starting until like 3 days before their start. That's because no one knows what the rotation will look like in four or five days, all they could do is guess.
Once you get the hang of it, it only takes a cup of coffee to check your team, and you really only have to check it every few days unless you're super hard-core or really enjoy it.
I enjoy it. And I'm super hard-core. :-)
Because I'm too lazy to look it up, do we set our lineups daily or weekly? FTR, I despise daily lineups.:-)

Also, there's still two people not signed up yet...:-)
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 01:28 PM 03-24-2012
Weekly I believe! :-)
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 01:36 PM 03-24-2012
FYI, I think the max teams is set to 10. You may want to bump it up to 12 so the other two can get in the league.
[Reply]
Coach Deg 04:53 PM 03-24-2012
Guys if we are one short of the 12. I will let my son run my team is Hugh's league. Just let me know.
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 05:06 PM 03-24-2012
Mike I think we will have 12 including you and your son.
[Reply]
Coach Deg 05:19 PM 03-24-2012
I'm already in.
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 05:46 PM 03-24-2012
Dom is on vacation and will be signing up once he gets home.
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 11:23 AM 03-25-2012
Bump! Hopefully we can get the other two signed up soon; i'd like to know my draft position a little before the draft.
[Reply]
Stephen 11:41 AM 03-25-2012
Originally Posted by JenksAnejo:
Bump! Hopefully we can get the other two signed up soon; i'd like to know my draft position a little before the draft.
If I remember reading correctly, we won't find out until approximately 30 minutes prior. Boo.
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 12:04 PM 03-25-2012
Maybe we are rolling with 10?

League ID#: 39618
League Name: Cigar Asylum 2012
Password: cigars
Season Type: Full
Draft Type: Live Standard Draft
Draft Time: Sun Mar 25 5:15pm CDT [ Add to My Calendar ]
Live Draft Pick Time:
Max Teams: 10
[Reply]
shilala 01:46 PM 03-25-2012
I just changed the max teams thing to 12. My bad.
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 01:48 PM 03-25-2012
Oh no problem Scott! Have you heard from Dom?
[Reply]
shilala 01:49 PM 03-25-2012
Mike, Dom needs to sign up in order for your son to sign up. He was going to sign up last night, maybe the max teams setting held him out, I don't know. I didn't get a pm from him.
Nothing like taking her right to the last second, it makes it more exciting. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 01:54 PM 03-25-2012
Originally Posted by Stephen:
Because I'm too lazy to look it up, do we set our lineups daily or weekly? FTR, I despise daily lineups.:-)

Also, there's still two people not signed up yet...:-)
You can set your line-ups a week ahead. That won't help with starting pitchers because teams only release starting pitcher info three days out.
There's a minimum number of innings (40) a team has to pitch or they forfeit their wins for the week. I always wondered if that means you'd lose all the stats from your pitchers, and it does not. It's just W's.
A guy could use all closer and middle relief and keep their era and whip down, win saves, and be in real good shape for the week if he didn't even pitch a starter, so I always wondered why that rule is even in place. But it is.
[Reply]
Stephen 01:57 PM 03-25-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
Mike, Dom needs to sign up in order for your son to sign up. He was going to sign up last night, maybe the max teams setting held him out, I don't know. I didn't get a pm from him.
Nothing like taking her right to the last second, it makes it more exciting. :-)
Dang Scott, the lengths you'll go to in order to keep from losing to me...:-)
[Reply]
Page 8 of 18
« First < 678 910 > Last »
Up