Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 8 of 11
« First < 678 910 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>DBall's Newb Blind Taste Test #4
Superbad 05:26 PM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Smoking this stick was like being set up on a blind date with a dominatrix.
The night starts out, and you think you got a chance of getting lucky, but in the end you wind up abused, whipped, and wearing a diaper.
Dom, you have such a great way with words!
[Reply]
jonumberone 05:33 PM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by Superbad:
Dom, you have such a great way with words!
Funny you should say that, I usually don't speak, I'm a bit of a grunter :-)
:-):-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 05:38 AM 01-10-2011
Going to smoke #8 today!
[Reply]
jonumberone 08:12 AM 01-12-2011
#8 Delivered :-)
[Reply]
DBall 12:34 PM 01-12-2011
Due to work, weather and life in general, Andrew needs to bow out.

The final four will be reviewed by Crimps once they are delivered. There will be a brief lull while they are shipped and while they acclimate upon arrival, but we'll be back in no time.

Thanks for stepping up, Zach and I look forward to the reviews!!! :-)
[Reply]
CRIMPS 12:37 PM 01-12-2011
Work, Weather, and Life happen :-) We can all empathize.

It is my pleasure and I look forward to sharing! :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 12:46 PM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by DBall:
Due to work, weather and life in general, Andrew needs to bow out.
BOOOOOOOO :-)

The final four will be reviewed by Crimps once they are delivered.
WooHoo! :-)

Back on track!! :-):-)
[Reply]
Samsquanch 09:19 AM 01-14-2011
It's tough being a cigar smoker in Seattle in the winter, especially living in an apartment. Thanks to Dan for being cool with me passing the torch and my apologies to everyone for holding back this great thread.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 09:25 AM 01-14-2011
Glad to see it will be finished though, thank you for your first 6 reviews Andrew and thank you for resolving this with Dan so it can be finished :-)
[Reply]
Samsquanch 09:14 PM 01-16-2011
D/c - 9405 5036 9930 0475 1856 69
[Reply]
CRIMPS 01:53 PM 01-22-2011
Package received. #6 will be burned tonight.
[Reply]
WNY 05:39 PM 01-22-2011
Love this thread!
[Reply]
CRIMPS 11:20 PM 01-25-2011
Numbers 7 and 8 delivered. :-)
[Reply]
Whipper Snapper 11:24 PM 01-25-2011
Hey Dan, I'm a noob!
[Reply]
DBall 11:15 AM 01-26-2011
jonumberone Cigar #7

Time for #7

Initial Thoughts
This stick is the baby of the lot that Dan sent. It is about 4 inches long. It has a nice brown wrapper with almost no veins.
Pre-light draw is perfect and I get nice sweet tobacco taste. I considered breaking this into 2 halves instead of thirds since it’s so small, but I decide to stick to thirds.
These are Dan’s sticks and I don’t want to change the format

First Third
The initial taste is sweet. I go to my nose and get zero burn. It makes the cigar seem fuller in flavor.
About a half inch in I get a caramel note. This stick has a little bite to it and I can feel a pinch on the back of my tongue.
Very nice coffee flavors coming out. Digging this so far!

Second Third
It feels like I just fired this bad boy up. The ash is getting these white dots all over it. It seems a little weird. It reminds me of bad acne.
The flavor is full force coffee right now and the smoke is rich and creamy. The burn has gotten a little out of whack but nothing to serious.
I don’t understand what happened but the wrapper literally exploded when I touched it up. It was like someone put a load in it.
It was smooth sailing up to this point and now the stick is extremely bitter

Final Third
The whole experience is taking a turn here. The smoke is completely flat with only bitterness now.
The wrapper is not burning with the rest of the stick and is coming off in chunks.
I wonder if that’s the issue with the flavor. The stick keeps expanding and the wrapper keeps tearing with every pull.
The burn is completely awry now and I think this stick has run its course.

Final Thoughts
I think I will call this stick “Vanilla Ice” because much like his career, it was over before it started and crashed right into the ground.
I never had a cigar blow up like that in the middle. If that happens to me it’s always from the start. Up to that point I was really enjoying the stick.
The creamy coffee flavors and size made me think this would be awesome on the ride in to work.
I would love to try another that doesn’t blow up on me.

Final Score 5.5/10
Smoke time 49min
[Reply]
DBall 11:16 AM 01-26-2011
CRIMPS Cigar #7

Cigar Review #7

I received The package in the mail on Friday night, but needed to wait until the following night before I reached for the lighter. I was sitting in a real estate conference for 10 hours today, trying to further my career. I couldn't help but think about the cigar I had all but drooled on the night before. Thanks to this thread, my dream of a real estate empire will probably never come to fruition.

Pre-light. Cigar # 7 looks to be a 4” x 42rg sized stick. The wrapper has some veins, but more noticeable are the light tan and brown splotches. Putting the stick up to my eye, I notice just a little crystallization. The smell is splendid: light, sweet tobacco with just a hint of... frosted flakes. I taste nuts and black pepper. The pepper and spice is not dominant, more mild than anything. Just a little

First third. Wow, creamy coffee flavor has made its grand entrance. Fantastic! Just a hint of spice still, at the back of the tongue. The draw is still a little tight, but manageable. About an inch in and the ash is still holding strong. I don't think there is as much as a flake in the ashtray.

Second third. I don't know if its because the wrapper slightly split at the cap when I cut it (a product of a crappy cutter methinks) or due to the tightness of the draw, but the smoke seems to have thinned and blued. The flavor profile hasn't really changed much. I am still really enjoying the coffee.

Last third. The spice has diminished to barely noticeable now. I notice just a little nicotine high, but just a little. Nothing overpowering. I wait for the ash to fall again to purge the cigar as I keep thinking smoke is thin. This seems to help. The wrapper is starting to split almost all the way to the cap, but holding together by a single vein.

Final Thoughts. A full flavored, medium bodied stick. The flavors were rather consistent and enjoyable throughout. I had a few problems with the wrapper cracking, but never did it unravel. I really enjoyed this stick and would definitely smoke this again if given the opportunity. Total smoke time was around an hour.

Rating: 8/10

[Reply]
DBall 11:20 AM 01-26-2011
What they smoked:

2008 Diplomatico #5

jonumberone score: 5.5

CRIMPS score: 8

First off, let me take a moment to, again, thank CRIMPS for stepping up and helping us get through this... much appreciated!

As for these, I dig em... looks like Dom doesn't. :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 11:49 AM 01-26-2011
!

As for these, I dig em... looks like Dom doesn't. :-)
I remember this stick well, and I remember loving it to start off.
The stick really exploded on me and I just remember ashes and wrapper chunks falling everywhere.
I am sure I have another of these :-)
and am really interested in seeing if the flavor lasts the whole way through.
I may review the other one just for fun :-)

Thanks again to Dan :-)
[Reply]
Brutus2600 11:52 AM 01-26-2011
Excellent reviews guys! Looking forward to seeing the rest of these finished and posted up :-)
[Reply]
rizzle 02:14 PM 01-26-2011
It lives! :-)
[Reply]
Page 8 of 11
« First < 678 910 > Last »
Up