Okay. Seven is a done deal.

How ya doing, Nick?
Sent it in yesterday I believe :-)
[Reply]
Riff Raff 12:37 PM 03-20-2010
Dan?
[Reply]
DBall 08:12 PM 03-20-2010
Oh hell... I do have both of them. I'll put it up in a few...
[Reply]
DBall 08:20 PM 03-20-2010
Montano Cigar #7

This is a very nice looking cigar. The construction is quite good, with no soft spots to speak of. Pre-light draw was nice and easy.

My first draw brings a nice flavor that I'm not quite sure of. After a few more draws, it comes to me. It's a very nice dried apricot flavor. I happen to like dried apricots. The draw continues to be nice and easy, with ample amounts of smoke.

As I move to the second 3rd of this one, the apricot intensifies just a bit. The smoke is very creamy and coats the inside of my mouth with the nice flavor of this cigar. I'm really enjoying this one.

As you can tell, I kinda got lost in the joy of smoking this thing, and forgot about taking pictures ! As I moved into the final 3rd, the apricot tapered off just a bit, and some meaty tobacco flavor started to come through. It was really nice to sit out back on a sunny day and enjoy this cigar. I really did not want it to end.

This one gets a 9 !
[Reply]
DBall 08:21 PM 03-20-2010
Riff Raff Cigar #7

None of that lovely Lynchburg juice, but I will just have to soldier on without it. <sigh>

Sorry about the opening pic. It sucks I know but the cigar is pretty! The trusty ole (or is it the crusty ole) calibrated eyeball says it is a 7" X 32 lancero. A nice looking cigar. A couple of small little holes in the wrapper but they shouldn't pose a problem. I did dry box it for about a day.

So I clipped the cap and gave it a pull. A firm draw. Pretty firm. Almost too firm but definitely smokeable. The prelight draw tasted of fresh hay.

First light: A bit grassy but very toasty. I love a toasty cigar.

1/3rd: Toasty. Very toasty and I am liking it! There are small hints of pepper in there too. The ash is dark gray and held for about an inch and a half.

2/3rd: Still lots of toast. Some sweet tobacco flavors are creeping in too. This smoke is rounding out nicely. A decent amount of smoke.

3/3rd: Still toasty. The retro-hale was a bit floral which kind of gives me a suspicion to this puppy's origin. More sweet tobacco flavors and the amount of smoke picked up in volume as well. There is a nice woody finish.

Overall: A decent smoke. It started out toasty and ended toasty. I can't find fault in that! Not a complex smoke but there were some really good flavors represented. I would buy this smoke if the price were right. It was mild bodied and tasty. I give it an 8.8. Oh, and I would say that it is a CC. Just a hunch. That and everyone so far has been a CC. I think I see a pattern emerging!

Oh yeah, he is a quick one isn't he?

It is starting to get down to the wire now!!
[Reply]
DBall 08:25 PM 03-20-2010
What they smoked:

2008 Quay d'Orsay Panetela

Montano score: 9
Riff Raff score: 8.8

Wow... Nick found a habano he likes... glory upon glory!

I absolutely LOVE these cigars... LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE them. Glad you both dug it.

3 left. :-)
[Reply]
MortonMilo 09:12 PM 03-20-2010
Love the parity in the rating here
[Reply]
akumushi 09:25 PM 03-20-2010
Sweet. I'm expecting a box of these any day now and this review makes me think I made another wise blind-purchase.
[Reply]
DBall 06:50 AM 03-21-2010
Originally Posted by akumushi:
Sweet. I'm expecting a box of these any day now and this review makes me think I made another wise blind-purchase.
You made a HELL of a purchase. I think I own more boxes of this than anything else at this point and will still probably get more.
[Reply]
Montano 08:59 AM 03-21-2010
It was a great smoke. I think I'll have to find some more of them !
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:36 AM 03-21-2010
Sounds like an awesome smoke! QdO is one marca that has always peaked my interest.

Nice reviews guys!!
Great thread Dan!
[Reply]
tomc3084 07:45 AM 03-23-2010
This is an awesome idea, I really enjoyed reading through this, to see how opinions compared/contrast...Would anyone else be up for doing another something like this, I know I would...I wouldn't mind donated sticks either
[Reply]
DBall 03:41 PM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by tomc3084:
This is an awesome idea, I really enjoyed reading through this, to see how opinions compared/contrast...Would anyone else be up for doing another something like this, I know I would...
Glad to hear you enjoy it. I may do another one (as this is the second... did ya read through the first one? That was pretty fun as well)... I really enjoy doing these. If you wanna be considered for the next one, read the first post and get those things in place (like a review w/ some pics and get your trader ratings going (by hopping in the Newbie Sampler Trade), etc.). :-)

I wouldn't mind donated sticks either
Just some advice... this doesn't come across well on the internet... sounds like you are fishing for free cigars. I'm not saying that's what you are doing, just a friendly note telling you how it sounds from my side of the computer screen. Maybe you mis-typed and meant to type "I wouldn't mind donating cigars"... The biggest problem with reading thoughts someone else typed into a forum is that there's no emphasis so it sometimes becomes difficult. Those smileys go a long way to help in that regard.
[Reply]
MTBAlex 09:28 PM 03-23-2010
how long does this last cig smoke? less than an hour?
[Reply]
DBall 09:35 PM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by MTBAlex:
how long does this last cig smoke? less than an hour?
Nah... these are meant to be sipped. Pounding through them won't do anything good for them flavor-wise.

Good question for the guys, though...

Nick, Bill... how long did it last for you?
[Reply]
RightAJ 09:37 PM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:
Nah... these are meant to be sipped. Pounding through them won't do anything good for them flavor-wise.

X2

I have learned this about lanceros recently.. they can be fantastic if you just take them slow!

aj
[Reply]
Riff Raff 08:34 AM 03-24-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:

Good question for the guys, though...

Nick, Bill... how long did it last for you?
I took my time. I didn't time it but I would say it lasted me well over an hour.
[Reply]
tomc3084 05:32 PM 03-24-2010
LOL i just read my post, I meant to say I wouldnt mind DONATING not donated my sticks to something similiar like this, sorry for the mixup-please do not think I was fishing for smokes, Its the complete opposite, I need to read what I type from now on before I press send
[Reply]
tomc3084 05:33 PM 03-24-2010
can I get a link to the first one you did?
[Reply]
yourchoice 05:40 PM 03-24-2010
can I get a link to the first one you did?
Here you go. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21549
[Reply]
Page 8 of 13
« First < 678 910 > Last »
Up