Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 8 of 20
« First < 678 91018 > Last »
Sports>College Hoops Thread '10-'11
The Poet 04:10 PM 01-10-2011
As already noted, it was a weekend for upsets and near-upsets, from start to finish. Not counting those results previously posted, we had during the balance of Saturday:

Georgia 77 - Kentucky 70 = I previewed this by saying the 'Dawgs weren't, and that it could be closer than Calipari wanted. Well, that was most certainly true. And although I did give Georgia a chance, we still must consider this a true upset.

Houston 76 - UCF 71 = But not necessarily this one. Though I admitted that I . . . nor no one else for that matter . . . knew who the Knights really are, as they've not actually played anyone yet, I did for at least the second time on this thread call them "Mickey Mouse". So count this as a decent win for the Houston Cougars, yet not one which makes their season.

South Carolina 83 - Vanderbilt 75 (OT) = Nor this one either. In fact, I flat-out said I would not consider it an upset if the 'Cocks took it to the Comms. So, I won't. However, as the "experts" do, we'll count it as one more.

Pitt 89 - Marquette 81 = And here's the first of those "near upsets" which occurred. But once again, maybe not. I told you Marquette could make this one close, and they did.

Memphis 61 - East Carolina 58 = However, there's no doubt on this one. The Tigers have the talent to run the Pirates out of the gym, and though I felt EeeZeeTeeCee could keep it respectable for a time, I never thought it would be a 1-possession decision by the end. Give the Pirates props, and the Tigers :-).

U. Conn 82 - Texas 81 (OT) = This one would not have been an upset, no matter the outcome. I could not, so did not, pick either squad here (albeit a slight leaning that ultimately went the wrong way), and that was a wiser decision than most of those I make. It's a good, and hard-fought, victory for the Huskies, and a disappointing, though far from shameful, loss for the 'Horns.

BYU 76 - Air Force 66 = Although I figured that the over-rated Cougars would down the Falcons, I never thought the Academy boys could stay this close. One would be pressed to consider this a "near upset", yet it does perhaps offer some evidence to support my lack of respect for BYU's ultimate chances in the national race.

Florida 77 - Mississippi 71 = And although one might make a stronger case about this being a "near upset", I myself have seen too much inconsistent play from the Gators to give them all that much credit either. And although I did lump this game in with a handful of all-important conference games which could go either way, I still believe the Gators possess more talent than the Rebels, and should perhaps have won more handily.

Rutgers 85 - Providence 72 = Since both teams are, at best, mid-pack Big Mouth teams, and both came into this one on 3-game losing streaks, I still find it a bit of a shock that the Scarlet Knights managed such a "decisive" victory over a Friars team that has, at times, played quite well. Does any of that make any sense at all, or sound like so much specious obfuscation?

St. Bonaventure 92 - Charlotte 88 (3OT) = This was by far the closest of the group of vital conference matchups I listed, and was as good a win for the Bonnies as it was a heartbreaker for the 49ers.

ODU 69 - George Mason 65 = Here too.

Clemson 79 - Miami 72 = Here three.

California 65 - Arizona State 61 = Here four.

LSU 62 - Auburn 55 = Here, not so much, as both these teams are pretty crappy, so it won't make any difference in the end.

On Sunday the Madness continued, or at least tried to anyway:

Duke 71 - Maryland 64 = Not to show any lack of respect to the Terps, as they do have a pretty good team, but one would tend to believe that the unanimous # 1 team in the nation could possibly manage a teeny bit more than a 7-point victory on their own damn court, would one not? Hey, these conference games are no laughing matter. If you don't believe me, just ask . . .

Ohio State 67 - Minnesota 64 = The Buckeyes finally actually decided to play a real game against a real opponent, and damn near got a real loss for their audacity of facing anyone except another cupcake. And so, for those who think the Blue Devils exhibited a lack of dominance, consider this one, or even . . .

Kansas 67 - Michigan 60 (OT) = I watched a good portion of this game, but in the end I had to switch it off. Both teams played like crap. One might expect that from the youthful Wolverines, but the Jayhawks have pretensions of greatness. Well, of what I saw, that is precisely what they are . . . pretenders. Had UM been able to hit almost ANYTHING from outside 15 feet, they would have plucked the Prairie Fowls.

Arizona 67 - Stanford 57 = This game is at least as significant for the fact that it was postponed due to the tragedy in Tucson as to any consequence of the game itself. A good win for the Wildcats, after a horrible day for the state of Arizona, and for the nation as a whole.

Villanova 72 - Cincinnati 61 = Meanwhile, the Philly Wildcats hand the Bearcats their first loss of the season . . . though it could easily be argued that this was actually Cincy's first GAME of the season, as their previous list of victims were far from the highest water. Well, the floodgates are opened now, so expect the Ls to start piling up.

Butler 84 - Youngstown State 79 = This was a better game than I thought it might be . . . which doesn't say much of anything, I know, but still . . . .

Creighton 74 - Evansville 69 = Ditto.

Miami OH 92 - Ohio U 88 (3OT) = Dit-three, as in 3 OT.

Valparaiso 64 - Cleveland State 58 = But here, I pretty much figured it would be fun.

USC 63 - UCLA 52 = Not as good a game as I had hoped, but in the long run it likely won't mean all that much to either team, as neither one scares anybody.

Missouri State 59 - Wichita State 56 = However, I hoped for a scrappy game in this one, and I got what I wanted.

There's not a lot of action tonight, once you toss out all those game which are either mismatches, and likely blowouts, or contests between teams where both of them suck. So I have only two for you to TiVo:

Notre Dame vs. Marquette = Here is one that should go down to whoever makes the key plays in the final 2 minutes.

Jacksonville vs. Belmont = And if that game above turns into a laffer, either way, check out this one with some possibilities.

I'm starting to get blisters here, so I'll leave you with . . . enjoy.
[Reply]
SD Beerman 01:53 PM 01-11-2011
It was a great weekend of Basketball, upsets are always fun....Lot's of OT as well. Go Aztecs!:-)
[Reply]
The Poet 02:32 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by SD Beerman:
It was a great weekend of Basketball, upsets are always fun....Lot's of OT as well. Go Aztecs!:-)

Yes, upsets are always fun . . . unless it's your guys getting upset. :-)

And yes, so far so good for your Aztecs. I guess they could be the Butler or George Mason of 2011, though I'd really like to see them actually play somebody before March. However, I don't see a whole lot of quality opposition on their schedule . . . good teams, OK yeah, but not any truly great ones. They could be in for a rude awakening once they have to face a squad from a power conference, in their second or third game of the NCAAs. We'll see.

Update to follow.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:17 PM 01-11-2011
Sadly, that Belmont/Jacksonville game didn't turn out to be so hot after all, with the Bruins slapping the Dolphins around like they were spawning salmon, 81-50. Hey, Belmont has a danged good team, don't kid yourselves . . . especially when they play someone from out of state. Of their 3 losses to date, 2 were to Tennessee, and the 3rd to Vandy. Go figure.

However, we can take some consolation in the fact that the upsets keep on coming:

Marquette 79 - Notre Dame 57 = Well, so maybe this is not such a big upset as the "experts" would lead you to believe. I myself said it would be tight . . . but it wasn't. Stupid me. I failed to notice that, when the Irish lose, they lose big and not small. Their other 2 losses so far were to Kentucky (72-58) and Syracuse (70-58). Odd ain't it, how similar those outcomes are.

Unlike last night, there are a fair number of important games this evening. Many of them involve the same team that got knocked off over the weekend, and thus gives them the opportunity to bounce back . . . or not. For instance:

Kentucky vs. Auburn = I was not all that surprised that Georgia tamed the Wildcats Saturday. I will be totally flummoxed if the Tigers even show up for this game in Rupp.

Wisconsin vs. Michigan State = On the other hand, I was totally flummoxed that the Nittany Lions beat the Spartans, and I don't care if the game was played in Joe Paterno's basement . . . there's no excuse for it. MSU has the talent to beat the Badgers, but I'm beginning to doubt if they have the will. Therefore I am extremely interested to see what happens here, in what should, all things being equal, be a pick 'em at best.

Texas vs. Texas Tech = And though you cannot call the Longhorns' loss to U. Conn an upset, it still should focus them for this in-state rival . . . which is not good news for the struggling Red Raiders. And speaking of U. Conn . . .

U. Conn vs. Rutgers = The Scarlet Knights got their first conference win Saturday, but with this one against the Huskies being followed by the Hoyas, it might be a while before they get their 2nd one. I would plan on tuning this one out at the half.

BYU vs. Utah = And pretty much the same thing here. Though I don't much like the Cougars, I can't see the Utes runnin' out of anything but time . . . despite their decent showing against Larry's Aztecs in their last game.

Baylor vs. Oklahoma = Although the Bears have been stumbling a bit recently, they should have enough to handle the Sooners.

Illinois vs. Penn State = Before Saturday, I would have said there was no damn way the Illini could lose to PSU. But Illinois has not exactly been lights-out, and if the Lions can take Michigan State on their floor, they can take this one too. Were I a betting man, I most definitely would NOT bet that however. Penn State got a great win Saturday, and strike me as a team that will still be celebrating that, and figure their season's already made. Expect a spanking here.

Florida vs. Tennessee = And here we have a game between two teams that have oscillated between wonderful to woeful. Flip a coin . . . Gators or Vols.

Georgia Tech vs. Clemson = The Jackets have been a bit better than was expected, and the Tigers have been . . . well, the Tigers. Can I borrow that coin again?

N.C. State vs. Boston College = Earlier in the year I would have picked the Eagles by three or four possessions. But they have been iffy of late, and the Wolfpack is on a bit of a roll . . . against pretty crappy teams, that's true, yet momentum is still momentum. This one just might go down to the final few shots.

That's what I see tonight. Pick your own personal poison, and enjoy.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:45 PM 01-12-2011
I can't say there were many surprises last night, except for:

Penn State 57 - Illinois 55 = I never thought the Nittany Lions could get two big upsets in a row. They are not assured of making a run at the Big Ten, but they sure are making some noise . . . and one heck of a mess. Good for them.

U. Conn 67 - Rutgers 53 = OK, so maybe this is a mild surprise, as I figured the Huskies would win by 24 . . . or 34 . . . and not merely 14.

Michigan State 64 - Wisconsin 61 (OT) = But this was no shock at all. This seemed like a pick 'em from the start, and both wanted a win. Both tried hard for it, and the Spartans pulled it off. Were the game against anybody but the Badgers, I'd say the score was too low, yet they are nothing if not masters of limiting possessions.

Florida 81 - Tennessee 75 (OT) = This is more like what the score of a "big conference" OT game should be, and as it was another of those toss-ups, the outcome should have been expected, even if the victor could not be predicted. A good one for the Gators, and another strike against the Pearless Vols.

Baylor 74 - Oklahoma 61 = The Bears took care of business. 'Nuff said.

Boston College 75 - N.C. State 66 = Maybe I should have stuck with my feeling about the Eagles by 3 or 4 possessions. As for the 'Pack, they have again shown they haven't figured out who they are.

There's a lot more action tonight, and so I must limit myself to those games which might actually mean something, or at least might actually be competitive:

Ohio State vs. Michigan = The Wolverines played the Jayhawks tough on Sunday, and only needed one shot or one stop for a huge victory. However, from what I saw, this was more a factor of KU playing poorly than it was of Michigan playing well. Though the confidence their young players gained may keep them close for a time, I expect the Buckeyes to open it up big.

Cincinnati vs. South Florida = The Bulls began this year well enough, but have collapsed of late, losing 6 in a row. Let's figure on that becoming 7 before the night is done.

U. Mass vs. Xavier = But this could be a barn-burner. These A-10 teams have identical 9-5 and 1-0 records, so they will both be focused on the win.

Georgia Tech vs. Clemson = This one was postponed from last night. I have the feeling the Ramblin' Wreck might just wish they could postpone if forever. But who knows? If I've learned anything about the Tigers over the years, it is that they tend to crumble, sooner or later.

Missouri vs. Nebraska = And these Tigers are coming off their upset loss to the Buffaloes, so although the Cornhuskers have a gaudy 13-2 record (against mainly a bunch of nobodies), you can plan on Missou turning it around quickly. But then again, with what we've seen the last few days, who knows?

Syracuse vs. St. John's = The Orange have remained unbeaten despite dodging a few bullets, including their last close win against a pitiful Seton Hall team. And St. John's has been playing better than they have in several decades. This one is in MSG, which won't mean a whole heck of a lot, as the "home court" will depend on whose fans show up. That should be a toss-up, and if the Red Storm can hit some shots over the Orange zone the game might be one also. Me, I figure SU over SJ by 3 possessions.

Villanova vs. Louisville = Here is another huge Big Mouth Conference game which could go either way. In fact, were it in the new Crum Bucket Arena instead of down in Philly, I might give an edge to the Cardinals. They still could win, but I'll go with the Cheesesteaks by a handful.

Pitt vs. Georgetown = And here's another one. The Hoyas have lost 3 or their last 4, and despite their high ranking are 1-3 in conference play. the Panthers are 3-0, and ranked much higher, but their prior two Ws (as well as earlier ones over Rhode Island, Maryland, and Texas) were pretty danged close. Though both teams want the victory, Georgetown needs is much more, and their home crowd just might get it for them. I would not bet on that, however.

Temple vs. St. Bonaventure = And though the Owls have gotten more respect, do NOT dismiss the Bonnies. I don't believe they will win, but they are capable of giving Temple as much as they want.

Georgia vs. Vanderbilt = On the one side, the Bulldogs are coming off a huge win over Kentucky in one of those weekend upsets we saw. On the other, Vandy was victim to one of them, losing to the Gamecocks. This one is interesting if only to see which happens . . . if the 'Dawgs can build on their victory, or if the Comms can recover. It is in Nashville, but Vandy's edge won't be as high as is their court.

Memphis vs. SMU = The Memphis Tigers have had the consistency of lumpy gravy, sometimes playing well and sometimes not playing at all. And SMU has played . . . well, nobody. If UM does not win by 20, they need to call off classes while they practice 24/7. And knowing what I do of Memphis academics, that should not be an issue. :-)

Maryland vs. Wake Forest = And if the Terps haven't buried the Deacs by halftime, Gary Williams will have a fit of apoplexy right there on the bench.

Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma State = The Oak State Cowboys got one of those huge wins by beating K-State Saturday, and I see no reason why they cannot give the Aggies all they want also. Figure on a tight one here.

Arkansas vs. LSU = The Razorbacks also got one of those upsets, though as it was over the bipolar Tennessee Volunteers it is hard to say exactly what that means. Regardless, LSU has already lost to such powerhouses as Nicholls State, Coastal Carolina, North Texas, Rice, and Virginia. Yeah, it may be down in Baton Rouge, but don't figure the Tigers will turn their season around tonight.

UTEP vs. Tulane = In the classroom, this one's not even close. But on the hardwood, they are fairly evenly matched. I think this one may be a lot of fun.

Wichita State vs. Creighton = And I will be surprised if this one is NOT a lot of fun. Both teams are decent, and both programs have good histories.

Kansas vs. Iowa State = Maybe they just had a bad game . . . hey, it happens . . . but to be honest I did not see much from the Jayhawks against the Wolverines on Sunday. Their offense was ragged, and their defense seemed to be effective mainly because Michigan couldn't hit the broadside of a barn were they inside of it. If that game is any true indication, KU will go down some time soon. Give the Cyclones a slim chance at that, but a chance nonetheless.

Colorado vs. Kansas State = Like that Georgia/Vandy game above, we have two teams coming from opposite poles here. The Buffaloes got a great win over Missou, while the Wildcats dropped one to Oak State. And like that other game, the interest here lies in which way they both will go from here. Let's just hope it is a good game.

Duke vs. Florida State = Hey, something's wrong here! This game is in Tallahassee, not in Durham! Can that be right? Dook actually plays road games too? What DO you know! Color me shocked. But you, don't you be shocked if the Semiholes manage to give the Blue Devils a pretty good game here. I don't think they will win, but they may give K some anxious moments late.

South Carolina vs. Alabama = No doubt the 'Cocks are up after their win over Vanderbilt. Furthermore, their only "bad" loss so far has been to Furman, and the Paladins are not a garbage team. Now the Tide, that's some garbage for you. Sure, they could win in Tuscaloosa. They COULD . . . but they won't.

San Diego State vs. UNLV = And here is one of those game that I (and the Beerman) have been waiting for. The Aztecs entered this season at the bottom of the national rankings, and have inched their way up to an amazing # 6. There are only a few potential stumbling blocks between them and an undefeated regular season. Here's one of them. The Runnin' Rebels are not the vintage Shark-fed monsters of the past, but they are not totally without talent of their own. I know there are two people here who will be keeping an eye on this one. Maybe you should too.

Colorado State vs. New Mexico = And if either one or both of those teams, as well as BYU, stumble in the Mountain West, here are two more who could make a run at it. Yet to do so, they both need the victory tonight. As that is highly unlikely, you can figure this one will be a war.

I may be back today, I may not. In either case . . . enjoy.
[Reply]
Parshooter 09:59 AM 01-13-2011
HA, Puke goes down. I'm one of the millions of haters and proud of it. Not that it matters at this point in the season, but that should put the Buckeyes as #1.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:10 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by Parshooter:
HA, Puke goes down. I'm one of the millions of haters and proud of it. Not that it matters at this point in the season, but that should put the Buckeyes as #1.
And though I hadn't the stones to call for the upset, I knew the Semiholes had a chance. Dook has been very good, but not dominant. But neither have your Buckeyes. Yeah, they deserve to hit # 1, yet as you imply the key will be staying there.

And though I'm a proud Tar Heel, I do not number myself amongst "the millions of haters" of the Blue Devils, and I am equally proud of that. I learned my hoops etiquette and sportsmanship from Dean Smith, and he would tolerate none of that.

Update to follow ASAP.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:41 PM 01-13-2011
For those of you who were lost by Marc's remarks, and my opine:

Florida State 66 - Duke 61 = The so-called "experts" had recently begun to express the thought that the Blue Devils would make it through the ACC season undefeated. Yeah, right . . . like that was gonna happen. This was their first, and may not be their last either. However, although it does open the door a tiny crack for a conference opponent to slip past them, I would not count on that happening.

Ohio State 68 - Michigan 64 = And here's some evidence to support the supposition that the Buckeyes will also stumble at some point. Although the Wolverines have played considerably better that expected, they are not the main opposition to OSU in the Big Ten. If the Buckeyes can just barely slip past UM, what does that foreshadow when they face the likes of Purdue, Illinois, Michigan State, Wisconsin, or Minnesota again . . . who they also just edged by 3, on their home court no less.

Kansas 84 - Iowa State 79 = As I said already, I was not impressed by the Jayhawks when they faced those Wolverines above. Here again, they only got past the Cyclones by a couple of buckets. Not a very good sign.

Colorado 74 - Kansas State 66 = The Buffaloes follow up their win over Missou with another big one. Meanwhile, the Wildcats continue their collapse. Hey, if you have the time and the inclination, go back to the first page of this thread, where I told you K-State was more pretender than contender. Not blowing my own horn, just arguing that I'm not nearly as stupid as I look. Hell, I couldn't hardly be.

SMU 64 - Memphis 58 = Speaking of collapses, the Tigers go down again. The difference here is, there's no damn excuse for this one. The Mustangs came into this one with a 9-6 record, and none of their games, be they wins or losses, could have been called "good" because they really hadn't played anybody worth a fryin' fish. It's time to consider the possibility that Memphis ain't either.

Vanderbilt 73 - Georgia 66 = The Bulldogs got a great win Saturday to move them into the Top 25. The Commodores bounced back from their upset loss, and bounced Georgia right back out of the rankings again. So it goes.

Cincinnati 74 - South Florida 66 = I figured the Bulls would drop another game here. I did not figure the Bearcats would seemingly have so much trouble with them. Mark this down as a good showing for South Florida, and a pretty poor one for Cincy.

San Diego State 55 - UNLV 49 = And although the Aztecs remain unbeaten, this one should not boost their confidence any. It was an ugly victory in an ugly game (6 technical fouls were called) on their own floor. OK, so the beat goes on, ugly or not, but still . . . .

Tonight has another full slate of action, but as has happened before many of them involve losing programs head-to-head. These may be competitive, but do they really matter? Of those remaining one, which may matter at some point:

Rhode Island vs. Richmond = The Rams and the Spiders both have good teams, and both need any win they can get to help win a possible at-large come March. Expect a war here.

Purdue vs. Minnesota = The Boilermakers have actually started to score a little bit, and the Gophers are distracted by off-the-court problems (or perhaps "in-court", depending on your point of view). Still, though I give PU the edge, I think it will remain close throughout.

Providence vs. West Virginia = And this one should be fun too. If you're putting a few bucks down, lay it on the Mountaineers . . . but make sure it's only a few.

ODU vs. Drexel = Just like that Ram/Spider game, here's one both teams will want. They are well matched, and should give us a great contest.

Belmont vs. Lipscomp = And this Battle of Nashville is a key one in the Atlantic Sun. And since there's only so many "at-large bids" available, it just might be even bigger.

North Carolina vs. Virginia Tech = And although the ACC normally does not have to worry about getting their fair share of bids, there's still not an unlimited number, as the Heels found out last year. Those Heels took a step backwards Saturday in Charlottesville, having one of those scoring droughts which doomed them so often in 2010. As for the Hokies have had some injuries and illness of late, and have to compete in the Dean Dome to boot. Carolina should be favored by 2 or 3 possessions, but they'd better show up ready to play.

Washington vs. Stanford = And this one's down in NoCal, yet the Huskies should still be favored too. But the Cardinal is at least a decent team, so can give UW a game. The X-factor may be the off-court distractions facing the Huskies, what with reports about police investigations against players for some serious offenses. If Lorenzo Romar and his boys don't have other things on their minds . . . well, perhaps they ought to.

That's gonna be it for now. Enjoy.
[Reply]
staminator 05:53 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by The Poet:
# 10 Syracuse: Last year the Orange began the season off of everyone's radar, and ended up near the top of the heap. This year they start off getting a fair amount of respect, and are thus set up to disappoint their fans. Don't misunderstand . . . Boeheim has some players, and his zone will always win a few games he maybe should not win. But it always loses him a few too. Also, he's not going to sneak up on any of the "haves" this year, and some of the Big East "have-nots" are improved.
Being from Syracuse and employed part time at the University, this is where my allegiances lie. I think SU really has a chance of making it to the top this year. We just need to improve on ball handling (read: less turnovers). UNDEFEATED THUS FAR! :-)
[Reply]
Parshooter 06:18 AM 01-14-2011
I highly doubt any team will go undefeated this year. As long as the Bucks are in the top 4 at tourney time, and get a #1 seed, that's all that matters, to that point.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:11 PM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by staminator:
Being from Syracuse and employed part time at the University, this is where my allegiances lie. I think SU really has a chance of making it to the top this year. We just need to improve on ball handling (read: less turnovers). UNDEFEATED THUS FAR! :-)
Yes indeed they are. And if they can get through the next few weeks, against Cincy, Pitt, 'Nova, an improved Seton Hall and Marquette, then U. Conn, you might actually have a valid point. :-)

Originally Posted by Parshooter:
I highly doubt any team will go undefeated this year. As long as the Bucks are in the top 4 at tourney time, and get a #1 seed, that's all that matters, to that point.
And I also can't see any team going without a loss (well, maybe San Diego State in the regular season, but not through April). But I've also come to the realization that a #1 seed means little after the first weekend. Just look at last year as an example. Bragging rights does not win games in March. That's my :-) , and worth every penny.

Update to follow.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:15 PM 01-14-2011
There were a few notable scores last night, including:

Minnesota 70 - Purdue 67 = Though this can be classed an upset, it does not qualify as a shock. The Gophers have played very well at time, and the Boilermakers have too often struggled to score. Against a team as deliberate on offense as Minnesota, with limited possessions available, this problem can be compounded. And so it was last evening. A good win for the distracted Gophers, in a tough spot against a tough conference foe.

Stanford 58 - Washington 56 = However, the Huskies could not overcome their off-court distractions, and dropped an important Pac-10 game against a Cardinal team which is decent, but supposedly not on the same level as Washington. This win might not make Stanford's season, but it just might spell the beginning of the end for the Huskies.

Oregon 68 - USC 62 = And speaking of distractions, the story here are the "on-court" distractions of the Ducks' new $230 million arena. Reportedly the reflections from the floor gave viewers headaches, and the players could not see the midcourt or three-point lines worth a doodly. So give the Ducks one point for the victory, and take two away for causing epileptic seizures all over the Northwest.

California 88 - Washington State 81 (OT) = Over the long haul, I expect this outcome will prove to mean little, but give both teams credit for an entertaining show.

Drexel 62 - ODU 57 = But as I said yesterday, this one was important for both teams. In this particular fairy tale, the Dragons top the Monarchs in a hard-fought battle.

Rhode Island 78 - Richmond 74 = And, as I said yesterday, this one was the same story . . . and the same sort of tight fight. A good win for the Rams, and a disappointing loss for the Spiders.

North Carolina 64 - Virginia Tech 61 = Not a great win for the Tar Heels, but better than a bad loss at home. Like too often last year, and like their previous game against UVA, UNC fell behind big (by 16 last night) and needed to fight back for the late lead. Unlike last year, they actually did so. Two positive signs, however, aside from the outcome. First, much-hyped then much-maligned freshman Harrison Barnes scored 8 of his 12 points in the final 3 1/2 minutes to help secure the victory. Second, another freshman Kendall Marshall garnered 9 assists. Not impressed? Well, 9 assists in a game where you scarcely break 60 is a monstrous effort, if you ask me.

Tonight has very few games on the slate, and only three of them interest me in the least:

Valparaiso vs. Wright State = These two are pretty evenly matched, and should give us a close contest right up until the end.

Iona vs. Rider = Same thing here.

Butler vs. Detroit = The profiles of these programs may be slightly higher than the previous ones, but my point is the same. I see a good game here, start to finish.

Now this weekend we have far too many games scheduled to give proper coverage to them all. I'll get a jump on the bigger ones now by giving you some which tip off early on Saturday:

Louisville vs. Marquette = Though the Cardinals have been getting better press, I see this as a pick 'em. The Golden Eagles may not win, but on any given day they can beat anybody.

Temple vs. Duquesne = And it's about the same story here. Well, OK, so the Dukes can't beat anybody (like Duke, f'instance), but they can beat the Owls. I don't think they will, but I don't think they'll be embarrassed either. Might actually be pretty tight.

Syracuse vs. Cincinnati = The Orange try to keep their streak alive, but it won't be easy, even in their Dome. The Bearcats have only lost one themselves, to Villanova, and if they can hit some shots over Boeheim's zone they can make a real battle of this one.

Georgetown vs. Rutgers = And the Hoyas need to do something now to turn their season around. All things being equal, I would not give the Scarlet Knights a snowball's chance, yet since Georgetown's not shown me much lately, who knows? Bet the Hoyas, but don't give too many points.

Vanderbilt vs. Tennessee = And here both teams have been up, then down, then up, then down. Though it would surprise me if both teams lost, it would not if neither actually tried to win. This one I'm curious about, just for that reason alone . . . not "which team will show up?", but "will one show up at all?"

Marshall vs. Memphis = The Memphis Tigers makes a third "name" team from the Volunteer State that has yo-yo'ed all over the place. Don't be surprised at all if the Thundering Herd tramples all over them.

Villanova vs. Maryland = 'Nova has only one loss so far, and I would not expect they will drop this one on their home court. However, the Terps do have a pretty good team, so give them a puncher's shot. This might be closer than Jay Wright would prefer, but figure it will be Gary Williams crying at the buzzer.

Northwestern vs. Michigan State = And here's another one that's hard to call. The Spartans are starting to prove the wrong thing . . . that they ain't all that good. The Wildcats aren't either, but they ain't garbage, and only lost to MSU by 3 in their first meeting. I would expect the Spartans to pull it out, yet Tom Izzo might just gain a few more gray hairs before it's over.

Missouri vs. Texas A&M = And here, without a doubt, we have us a tossup game. The # 15 Tigers (15-2, 1-1) are visiting the # 14 Aggies (15-1, 2-0) in a vital early conference game for both, and in a conference neither is favored to win. You think they won't be focused here?

That's it until tomorrow afternoon for me. I'll see you then. Enjoy.
[Reply]
SD Beerman 10:53 AM 01-15-2011
Always a good read.....Thanks:-):-)
[Reply]
jcruse64 11:25 AM 01-15-2011
Louisville 71-Marquette 70. Wow!!! What a blaster for the last 5 minutes! Ricky's guys can play, when they focus.
I thought Marquette had them, but good. Comebacks like this are why college b'ball is such a blast to watch, and also sometimes so frustrating to watch :-).

Vandy on top of UT 46-41 right now, as UT is mounting its own comeback.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:08 PM 01-15-2011
OK, so that Butler/Detroit game wasn't so good, what with the Titans having a Midget 1st half and falling behind by 22 to the Bulldogs. But the other two I picked were: A) pretty good, with Valpo coming from behind to take Wright State 71-60. B) danged good, with Iona outlasting Rider 100-96 in OT. As for the early games today, Cincy is hanging tough with the Orange, while Marquette, Vandy, Memphis, and Duquesne have nice leads over Louisville, Tennessee, Marshall, and Temple resp't. But there's still plenty of time left, so let's move on for now.

The balance of today's action is so jam-packed with potential great games I refuse to post them all. Here is my redacted selection, believe it or not:

Kansas State vs. Texas Tech = Although I never felt K-State was an elite program, I can't see them losing this game. Hey, it could happen, but that would totally shock me.

Alabama vs. Arkansas = Nobody's much talked about these two teams, but both are quietly having a pretty decent season so far. Neither is likely to take the SEC, yet they are on track for an at-large bid in March. A win today would be another step in that direction, and you'd best believe they both know that.

Oklahoma State vs. Colorado = And here's two more who need a new press agent. Same story, and same importance. Expect a fight.

South Carolina vs. Florida = One more time. Both have had good wins and bad losses. Both need to stay around .500 at worse in conference play to dance come March. Both are aware, and both should be ready to play today.

Duke vs. Virginia = OK, here . . . not so much. You'd have to figure the Blue Devils would have to collapse completely to miss the NCAAs, and I can't see that happening. As for the Cavs, their wins over Oklahoma, Minnesota, and Va. Tech are nice, but they will need more of the same on their resume before Selection Sunday. That will most likely NOT occur in Cameron today.

U. Conn vs. DePaul = If this is still a game at halftime, I will be surprised. The Huskies should romp.

Kansas vs. Nebraska = But the Jayhawks, not so much. Not only are the 'Huskers better than the Blue Demons, but KU has remained unbeaten yet not looked unbeatable over the previous week. Give them the edge, as they are a better team and are in Phog Allen, but it just might be pretty tight.

Arizona vs. Arizona State = The Wildcats are in the early hunt for the Pac-10, and the Sun Devils . . . are not. Although most anything can happen in conference play, especially between in-state rivals, I'd not expect that scenario to change today.

Illinois vs. Wisconsin = These are two of the recent "upset" victims, although you'd have to class the Illini's one to Penn State a bigger flop than the Badgers' to the Spartans. Regardless, both want to get back on the right track. This one could get nasty.

N.C. State vs. Florida State = Will the Wolfpack's young talent finally demonstrate its abilities? Will the Semiholes still be celebrating their win over Dook, and will said hangover cost them focus today? I give FSU a slim edge, but I would not be shocked if they trip.

LSU vs. Kentucky = Calipari has begun to criticize his team for lack of intensity and control. In doing so, he hopes to correct these bad tendencies. It might work. It might backfire, as a young team sometimes takes such things too personally. Either way, figure the Tigers have enough to give the Wildcats a good game, yet not quite enough to beat them . . . not in Rupp, anyway.

Texas vs. Oklahoma = As for the Sooners, they are most aptly named today. This game against the 'Horns will be over sooner rather than later.

ODU vs. Hofstra = For mid-majors like these, every win is vital. You can only drop so many games before you drop off the radar entirely. This one should be a lot of fun.

UCF vs. Southern Mississippi = The totally-overrated Orlando Mickeys got their first loss last Saturday. I would not surprise me one bit if they get their second one down in Hattiesburg today.

Georgia vs. Mississippi = The Bulldogs got a huge win over Kentucky, then followed it with a disappointing loss to Vandy. Figure they get back into the W column today, though it might be close for a half, or a half and a half even.

Ohio State vs. Penn State = Had you asked me a week ago about this game, I would have said the Nittany Lions had absolutely no shot at all of beating the Buckeyes. But in the last seven day PSU upset Michigan State and Illinois, and have become the talk of the Big Ten. So, what do I say about this game today? The Nittany Lions have absolutely no shot at all of beating the Buckeyes.

Baylor vs. Iowa State = But the Cyclones do have a shot at beating the Bears. Baylor has not played all that well recently. I think they will win, but they could fall on their fuzzy faces once again.

San Diego State vs. New Mexico = I said a month back that I would not pick against the Aztecs until they gave me reason to do so. Their narrow and ugly victory over UNLV is not in and of itself sufficient reason. Yet I do find it incumbent to point out that the Lobos have a pretty good team themselves, so don't have a heart attack if SDSU makes a left turn in Albuquerque.

Boston College vs. Miami = Believe it or not, but the Eagles are at present soaring at the top of the ACC. And believe it or not, the 'Canes are sulking down in the basement with the Wrecks and Wakes of the league. I don't expect either situation will last all that long, and it may even end today. I would not bet on it, but it could.

Pitt vs. Seton Hall = And though the Pirates are a few steps out of the Big East cellar, it is still pretty much the same thing here. Only difference, I don't give them a Chinaman's chance against the Panthers.

Dayton vs. Xavier = But here, here we've got us a real contest. Expect it to go down to the final 2 minutes.

Washington State vs. Stanford = The Cardinal are one of those teams competing for the early edge in the Pac-10, whereas the Cougars are trying to remain relevant. I believe Stanford is building on success, and will continue today.

Michigan vs. Indiana = Both of these are storied programs (the Hoosiers much more so), and both have fallen on difficult times of late (again, the Hoosiers much more so). Both are attempting to regain some of their lost luster. Both have had some limited success, and both are still falling considerably short of their desires. Both want this victory. If that doesn't get you interested, then you're beyond my help.

I'm gonna take a little break, then come back with early finals and Sunday previews. See you soon.
[Reply]
The Poet 01:01 PM 01-15-2011
Always a good read.....Thanks:-):-)
Thanks, Larry. I try to entertain, without p!$$ing off too many people. And if I do, well screw 'em if they can't take a joke.

Originally Posted by jcruse64:
Louisville 71-Marquette 70. Wow!!! What a blaster for the last 5 minutes! Ricky's guys can play, when they focus.
I thought Marquette had them, but good. Comebacks like this are why college b'ball is such a blast to watch, and also sometimes so frustrating to watch :-).

Vandy on top of UT 46-41 right now, as UT is mounting its own comeback.
Yes, Joe, that was a great comeback. I too thought Marquette had it, but Louisville owned the end of the game and squeaked out a good win. Say what you want about Rick Pitino, the man can coach a little, no doubt.

Oh, and the Vols themselves made a great late comeback to edge Vandy 67-64. Here we have two teams that can't seem to figure out who they are, so what shot do we mere mortals have?

Other early finals:

Syracuse 67 - Cincinnati 52 = And again, the Bearcats managed to hang tough for much of the game, but the Orange took it to them in the second half to remain undefeated.

Memphis 71 - Marshall 61 = The outcome is no big surprise to me, as I knew the Tigers had better, albeit younger, talent. I did think the Herd could stick closer, but a bad first half killed them.

Georgetown 74 - Rutgers 65 = No surprise here at all. The Hoyas have been inconsistent, but Rutgers has been pretty consistent . . . consistently bad, that is.

Duquesnse 78 - Temple 66 = And if there is an upset so far today, here it is. Although I did not predict it, I did feel the Dukes could give the Owls a good game. Seems like they gave them a better game than Fran wanted.

There are many fewer games on Sunday, but still some with potential:

Notre Dame vs. St. John's = The Irish started off like a house afire, but the embers have begun to cool a bit. Meanwhile, the Johnnies have even surprised themselves at how well they have played. They actually have a shot at winning this one in MSG. I don't believe they will, but they can make it interesting.

Valparaiso vs. Detroit = And here just one more of those mid-major matchups both teams want on their resume. Expect a total war.

Creighton vs. Indiana State = Same thing here.

Purdue vs. West Virginia = The Boilermakers have played very well, but fell back into their scoring woes against the Golden Gophers. The Mountaineers were expected to take several steps backwards, yet have made some strides lately. This one could give the bookies fits.

Rhode Island vs. St. Bonaventure = If you've been paying any attention, you'll know both of these can hoop a little. Should be fun.

Butler vs. Wright State = And again. Should be fun, and could be even more fun.

North Carolina vs. Georgia Tech = The Heels have not played up to the level their talent is capable of doing. They are vulnerable, and will remain so until the prove otherwise. But the Jackets are not nearly as good as they were last season, and are playing precisely that way. UNC should be favored by a few possession, but road victories in the ACC are not easy to come by, and must be earned. Just ask Duke, if you don't believe me.

Washington vs, California = As was the case last year, the Huskies are supposed to be head-and-shoulders above all other Pac-10 teams. So far, they've only managed to get their pointy little ears up over the competition. On the other side, Cal has struggled and comes in barely better than .500 at 9-7 and 2-2. Yet they do have a few quality wins, over New Mexico, Temple, Iowa State, Arizona State, and Washington State. If they can hit their shots, they can keep it relatively close. And who knows? The police may haul off some more Huskies before gametime! :-)

That's it for now. I might pop my head back in after I have some lunch, and I might not. In either case . . . enjoy.
[Reply]
jcruse64 03:22 PM 01-15-2011
Right now, it looks like the Cats have had their tails yanked, and are getting feisty. Pretty commanding lead at the half. Now we'll see if they are disciplined enough to keep the pedal down at the whistle.

Will be switching back and forth between this and the AFC matchup...the Steelers just made an uncharacteristic blunder that cost 7.
[Reply]
GoJBCuse98 04:01 PM 01-15-2011
:-) Big 'Cuse fan! Going to have to say they win the Big East this year. Uconn I think is overrated, once the Big East really gets underway, they'll lose.

As for the other conferences, still undecided.
[Reply]
SD Beerman 01:19 PM 01-17-2011
SDSU was impressive in The Pit this weekend @BYU next week, big game.....:-)
[Reply]
The Poet 02:36 PM 01-17-2011
Originally Posted by jcruse64:
Right now, it looks like the Cats have had their tails yanked, and are getting feisty. Pretty commanding lead at the half. Now we'll see if they are disciplined enough to keep the pedal down at the whistle.
Well, UK did spank LSU, bad . . . for what that's worth. Hey, be honest. The Tigers haven't been relevant in hoops for a long time.

Originally Posted by GoJBCuse98:
:-) Big 'Cuse fan! Going to have to say they win the Big East this year. Uconn I think is overrated, once the Big East really gets underway, they'll lose.

As for the other conferences, still undecided.
So far so good for the Orange. But were I you, brother, I'd worry less about how good or bad are the Huskies, and more about getting past Pitt tonight. Just :-) , and worth every penny.

Oh, and as for the Big Mouth Conference, I am never undecided. Their traditional collapses in the NCAA Tourney long ago convinced me they are always overrated. :-)

SDSU was impressive in The Pit this weekend @BYU next week, big game.....:-)
Yes, another good win for your Aztecs. The Lobos gave them a good game, and your boys held up under some pressure. Plus, their 87 points was just slightly better than the 55 they scored against UNLV.

Weekend update to follow.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 20
« First < 678 91018 > Last »
Up