Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 8 of 38
« First < 678 91018 > Last »
Sports>MLB 2012 Thread
icehog3 05:31 PM 04-28-2012
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Almost let another one get away.
I hadn't realized how much the tigers pen had fallen off.
Valverde has been awful, Benoit shaky, and the rest of them just plain suck. :-)
Jasonw560 06:08 PM 04-28-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Valverde has been awful, Benoit shaky, and the rest of them just plain suck. :-)
Now you know why the Rangers got rid of Benoit.
jonumberone 12:29 PM 04-30-2012
Was shocked to see LA come away with a sweep over DC.
Granted, it was without Zimmerman and Morse, their two best offensive players.
I thought DC was legit, but wasn't sure about the Dodgers.
They started off hot against the likes of the Pad's and Buc's, and I thought they were just riding Kemp's hot bat.
They are definitely riding Kemp's bat, but they are playing well across the board!
icehog3 11:20 PM 05-07-2012
And the Tigers bullpen blows yet another stellar starting performance. If the Tigers had even a mediocre bullpen, they would be in first place.
Blak Smyth 05:24 AM 05-08-2012
And the Tigers bullpen blows yet another stellar starting performance. If the Tigers had even a mediocre bullpen, they would be in first place.
I could have used Fister's win on my fantasy team too.
kelmac07 07:17 AM 05-08-2012
What's everyone think about the Cole Hamels suspension? He admintted to throwing at Harper, which I thought was complete "bush league". Harper has none games under his belt and has played hard and said the right things to the media. Wondering what warranted this beaning???? Are the Phils worried that Harper is stealing some of their thunder? Maybe if they weren't in the cellar of the NL East, they'd get some positive press. :-)
CigarSquid 07:26 AM 05-08-2012
I will be seeing them Saturday in Oakland! The way the Tigers have been playing, It should make for a good game.. As long as the A's stay how they have been, as well.

Diamond Seats baby! Right behind home plate!
Jasonw560 10:13 PM 05-08-2012
Josh Hamilton. 4 HRs in one game. 18 bases. If he stays healthy, it could be a race to see if either he or Kemp can win the all-elusive Triple Crown.
icehog3 11:26 PM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by Jasonw560:
Josh Hamilton. 4 HRs in one game. 18 bases. If he stays healthy, it could be a race to see if either he or Kemp can win the all-elusive Triple Crown.
Amazing game for Hamilton.
Stephen 05:02 AM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by Jasonw560:
They could both win one this season. They play in different leagues.
Bigwaved 06:09 AM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Wondering what warranted this beaning????
Fear.
Blak Smyth 06:15 AM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
What's everyone think about the Cole Hamels suspension? He admintted to throwing at Harper, which I thought was complete "bush league". Harper has none games under his belt and has played hard and said the right things to the media. Wondering what warranted this beaning???? Are the Phils worried that Harper is stealing some of their thunder? Maybe if they weren't in the cellar of the NL East, they'd get some positive press. :-)
Didn't Harper steal home? I would guess it was an immature gesture to teach Bryce a lesson?
Bigwaved 06:15 AM 05-09-2012
Was shocked to see LA come away with a sweep over DC.
Granted, it was without Zimmerman and Morse, their two best offensive players.
I thought DC was legit, but wasn't sure about the Dodgers.
They started off hot against the likes of the Pad's and Buc's, and I thought they were just riding Kemp's hot bat.
They are definitely riding Kemp's bat, but they are playing well across the board!
A blown save and no offense could not overcome the great starting pitching (both squads got solid starts all series). The Nats handed another one away last night with a walk-off dinger to the Pirates. They need Storen and Lidge back to get H-rod out of the closer spot. He stresses out and loses the little control has has harnessed. Zimmerman and LaRoche returned last night, but Werth is not gone for at least 12 weeks and Morse is still a ways out. They will not have their full roster available until way after the All-star game. They will be facing a decision with when to shut down Strasburg the last 3rd of the season as well.
Blak Smyth 06:17 AM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by Bigwaved:
A blown save and no offense could not overcome the great starting pitching (both squads got solid starts all series). The Nats handed another one away last night with a walk-off dinger to the Pirates. They need Storen and Lidge back to get H-rod out of the closer spot. He stresses out and loses the little control has has harnessed. Zimmerman and LaRoche returned last night, but Werth is not gone for at least 12 weeks and Morse is still a ways out. They will not have their full roster available until way after the All-star game. They will be facing a decision with when to shut down Strasburg the last 3rd of the season as well.
I hope Storen is back soon, I have him on my Fantasy DL.
jonumberone 06:50 AM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Didn't Harper steal home? I would guess it was an immature gesture to teach Bryce a lesson?
Hamels threw at Harper to say "welcome to the big leagues"
Harper stole home after the fact.
I honestly have no issue with it, and don't think he deserved the suspension.
I even like the comments Hamels made afterwards, and agree with him.
Pitchers like Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale threw at guys all the time.
No one called them bush, and both are in the hall.
I think baseball would be served well if the pitchers are allowed to take back the plate.
I also believe there is a right way and a wrong way to hit someone.
CigarSquid 07:05 AM 05-09-2012
Brandon Inge, walk off grand slam last night in Oakland. I think I scared my neighbor since it was kinda late when that game ended.
Blak Smyth 07:21 AM 05-09-2012
I think baseball would be served well if the pitchers are allowed to take back the plate.
I was wondering if the steal was before or after, kinda makes it cooler on Harper's end that he stole home after the hit. I don't think Hamel's should have lied about it being intentional, I like that he was honest about it.
Honestly you pay me millions of dollars and I will take a couple shots from Hamels :-)
Bigwaved 03:49 PM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
I hope Storen is back soon, I have him on my Fantasy DL.
He may start throwing by the end of this week.
Bigwaved 03:55 PM 05-09-2012
Hamels is no Gibson or Drysdale. They did not need to run their mouth about where they threw the ball or why. That was the rub with this one. That was the "bush" part of it. The suspension was a direct response to his big mouth. His pie hole forced them to do it.
jonumberone 04:47 PM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by Bigwaved:
Hamels is no Gibson or Drysdale. They did not need to run their mouth about where they threw the ball or why. That was the rub with this one. That was the "bush" part of it. The suspension was a direct response to his big mouth. His pie hole forced them to do it.
While I agree Hamels is no Gibson or Drysdale, part of what made them so great was their ability to pitch inside and intimidate hitters.
That is a tool not available to today's pitchers.

They were mean, nasty, and fierce competitors.
Gibson once threw at Reggie Jackson in an old timers day.
And they always ran their mouth to the players they hit.

Here are some quotes

"I hated to bat against (Don) Drysdale. After he hit you he'd come around, look at the bruise on your arm and say, 'Do you want me to sign it?'" - Mickey Mantle

"My own little rule was two for one. If one of my teammates got knocked down, then I knocked down two on the other team." - Don Drysdale

I couldn't find any direct quotes from Gibson, but it was never a mystery as to what he did on the mound.
I think the big difference is today, Harper getting hit is a story, 50 years ago it would have only been a footnote.

I also don't see how fans aren't upset about the pitch, just what was said.
Iv'e always admired straight shooters and try not to waste my time with people who look me in the eye and lie to me. :-)
Page 8 of 38
« First < 678 91018 > Last »
Up