Page 78 of 270
« First < 2868767778 798088128178 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
ucla695 09:27 PM 02-05-2011
Just sauced them. Things are A-Ok. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:28 PM 02-05-2011
Originally Posted by ucla695:
Ever accidentally choked the fire on a live smoke? Well, I did tonight. :-) I was smoking a couple of racks of BBs on the kettle and temps spiked a bit while the lid was off so I closed the top vent (bottom was already closed). :-). Did some other stuff in the yard and came back to see how things were going. DOH!! Needed a defibrillator. CLEAR!! Quickly fired up 10 or so briqs in the chimney and opened everything up. They should have been done in half an hour from now, but the fire was out for probably half an hour or so. I've never switched from low and slow to HH in one cook...I hope it turns out well. :-)
Yeah, I have. It's part of the learning process brother and while the kettle smokers have a bit of a steeper learning curve than some other smokers, don't let it faze you, as while it is unfortunate, pork is a forgiving meat and the bricks will help to hold temperatures so things will probably be ok.
[Reply]
OLS 02:59 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by Scothew:
Btw has anyone ever smoked squirrel? I was asked about it yesterday and i had no idea on it.
If I can ever drop that lil $hi+ in my backyard I will post pics and flavor review.
I dropped one last year and let Ralph walk around with it but feared he would get fleas and lice
off of it as it cooled. Had I been thinking of smoking that weekend I would have skinned it and
smoked it, sure. They knock all the green pecans out of my trees each year, my patio gets littered
with cracked shells.
[Reply]
Mr B 03:11 PM 02-07-2011
MMMMMMM Squirrel. Never had it smoked, loved it braised.
[Reply]
OLS 05:48 PM 02-07-2011
I am also kind of wary of it smoked. Braised WOULD be tasty. As tasty as squirrel could possibly be anyway.
Gumbo is good.
When I finally got Ralph to put it down, I was stunned by how HEAVY the lil Shi+ was. It was a good 1.5 lbs.+
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 05:55 PM 02-07-2011
Squirrel is darn good. I usually fry it... but it is great in Brunswick Stew.
[Reply]
rizzle 08:31 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
Well, you know as a native Alabamian that's the only way I've ever had it. :-)
[Reply]
Scothew 09:52 AM 02-08-2011
Thanks guys. I read up on it in a few places and most people said it turned out tough after it was smoked. Think the meat is a bit to dry adn lean for it. I think grilled would be pretty good if you can keep it tender.

I also didnt get pics of the butt.. my wife had hte camera. It turned out great though.
[Reply]
LooseCard 10:35 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by Scothew:
I also didnt get pics of the butt.. my wife had hte camera. It turned out great though.
What, no camera on your phone?
[Reply]
Scothew 11:03 AM 02-08-2011
Good point, didnt think about it. sorry guys.
[Reply]
BigAsh 04:15 PM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by rizzle:
Well, you know as a native Alabamian that's the only way I've ever had it. :-)
Only way I've ever had squirrel was under my tires...but that's just how we do it 'round here....:-)

Seriously though, I bet anything you put in your Brunswick stew Brent is real tasty!
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 07:09 PM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
Only way I've ever had squirrel was under my tires...but that's just how we do it 'round here....:-)

Seriously though, I bet anything you put in your Brunswick stew Brent is real tasty!
LOL... thanks Keith:-)

Seriously though, and I don't know if this is fact, but the story I have heard is the original Brunswick Stew was made on the order of General Sherman. The story goes that he told the cooks they needed to come up with something since squirrel was so widely available.
[Reply]
ucla695 06:47 AM 02-09-2011
I have a great dipping sauce for squirrel! :-)
[Reply]
Powers 09:38 AM 02-09-2011
LOL... thanks Keith:-)

Seriously though, and I don't know if this is fact, but the story I have heard is the original Brunswick Stew was made on the order of General Sherman. The story goes that he told the cooks they needed to come up with something since squirrel was so widely available.
I haven't heard that one before but no one really knows for sure where Brunswick stew came from. Best guesses are either from Brunswick, Georgia or Brunswick County Virginia. I would go with Virginia based on the fact that it's been around longer than the d*mn prison colony (yes, Georgia was founded as a penal colony. Go Gators)

But, my granny has a copy of Marjoire Kinnan Rawlings' cookbook, Cross Creek Cookery ( for Florida/Alachua County history), in which she claims that it originated from Braunschweig, Germany.

In short, who knows but I dang sure know it's slap-yo-grandmomma-good
[Reply]
Steve 09:48 AM 02-09-2011
/\
||
What he said!!!
[Reply]
T.G 11:19 AM 02-09-2011
I was in safeway on Monday and stumbled across a 4-bone beef rib cut that actually didn't have most of the meat gouged out from between the bones unlike how they are typically sold around here, and, it was on sale, marked down an extra 30% off and there was a stack of $2 off coupons at the meat counter, so even though I think safeway beef sucks, for 87-cents, I couldn't pass this one up.

Covered with my spicy rub + powdered mustard, coriander, a lot of chipotle powder and some salt to draw some of the moisture out while it spent overnight in the fridge.

Smoked with plum wood.

Attached: beefribs_100_3405.jpg (56.3 KB) beefribs_100_3412.jpg (88.0 KB) beefribs_100_3414.jpg (91.0 KB) beefribs_100_3415.jpg (57.0 KB) 
[Reply]
hscmit 11:27 AM 02-09-2011
adam, that looks great
[Reply]
Mr B 11:43 AM 02-09-2011
Looks like that one came out pretty tasty Adam.
[Reply]
Steve 11:45 AM 02-09-2011
Nice!
[Reply]
T.G 01:11 PM 02-09-2011
Thanks.

Brent, I was surprised, it actually had a good rich beef flavor to it. Very atypical of the beef found at safeway here.
[Reply]
Page 78 of 270
« First < 2868767778 798088128178 > Last »
Up