Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 72 of 129
« First < 2262707172 737482122 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Losing Weight with Starscream
kgoings 08:37 PM 05-10-2011
I am going to Long Beach Thurs and Friday...I am taking my DVD's with me..I'll do my insanity workout in the hotel room :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 08:42 PM 05-10-2011
Originally Posted by kgoings:
I am going to Long Beach Thurs and Friday...I am taking my DVD's with me..I'll do my insanity workout in the hotel room :-)
Take it from me: that is a good plan. Don't take a break just b/c you are on vacation. I just learned the hard way.:-)
[Reply]
Starscream 06:32 AM 05-11-2011
So I got my workout in yesterday and today I was surprised to find myself weighing in back down at 242! I was sure to have gained this past week. I actually lost a pound to get back to my pre-spring break weight.:-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 07:55 AM 05-11-2011
Good Morning Fella's :-)

I've decided I need to lose weight and was hoping to get involved here.
Last week I took my 2yr old daughter down to Disney for the first time.
I was exhausted halfway through day 1.
Now I'm sure Disney and all its Magic has bested better men than me, but it still got me down.
The trip caused me to feel depressed about my weight and overall physical capabilities for the first time since my teenage years.
I've always been a big guy, and just grew to accept it.

I really don't know where to begin.
I'm going to start by eating better and see where it gets me.
The biggest obstacle to my weight loss will be my job.
At work you can't get more sedentary than me.
I sit in what amounts to a 3' X 4' box for a minimum of 16hrs a day and usually more than that.
And the work is tedious, which leads to munching for no other reason than "I'm Bored".
I tipped the scales at 280 after I got back from Florida.

Thanks for listening Fellas :-)
[Reply]
shilala 08:07 AM 05-11-2011
Glad to see you aboard, Dom!!! :-)
My diet amounts to "don't eat much", and that works. I don't sit in a cube though, and I have no ideas for you. I'd munch through the boredom, but I chew snuff. I'd suggest chewing snuff, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone, cause once it's got ya, it's got ya for life.
I eat total sh1t and Lisa always dogs me about it. I lose weight cause I don't eat much. I drink TONS of water. There's something you could add. That and sugarless gum. Both things would cut into your caloric intake real hard.
How you'll work in some exercise is beyond me. All your waking hours that aren't sleep would have to be active. My old lady says "if you have time to watch tv, you have time to exercise". I wish she'd find a nice way to put it. :-)
You're gonna be tough to help, but the beauty of having so much extra weight is that it's super easy to lose a lot, fast. Mind ya, fast is about 1.5 pounds a week.
The guys will have some good suggestions. If they don't, a good solid snuff, crank, or cocaine habit could do wonders. :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 08:07 AM 05-11-2011
Welcome Dom and good luck!:-)

Don't know where to begin? There's plenty of info out there, which can be overwhelming when you first start out. My suggestion would be to find a site or program where you can track what you eat. Saying that you are just going to eat better can be disastrous for many (at least when starting out).

My biggest suggestions for you for starting out:

Track what you eat (you can find many examples of places where you can do this online in this thread WeightWatchers/Nutrimirror/other places)

Start exercising: you don't have to start out hardcore, just walking around the block everyday or riding a bike is a start

Drink plenty of water.

Stay focused. If results don't go the way you think they ought to, keep on trying anyway.

Once again, good luck. If you need any advice, support, or help, that's what this thread is for.:-)
[Reply]
Starscream 08:10 AM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
The guys will have some good suggestions. If they don't, a good solid snuff, crank, or cocaine habit could do wonders. :-)
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
shilala 08:14 AM 05-11-2011
208.2 this morning, guys.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:34 AM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by Starscream:
Welcome Dom and good luck!:-)

Don't know where to begin? There's plenty of info out there, which can be overwhelming when you first start out. My suggestion would be to find a site or program where you can track what you eat. Saying that you are just going to eat better can be disastrous for many (at least when starting out).

My biggest suggestions for you for starting out:

Track what you eat (you can find many examples of places where you can do this online in this thread WeightWatchers/Nutrimirror/other places)

Start exercising: you don't have to start out hardcore, just walking around the block everyday or riding a bike is a start

Drink plenty of water.

Stay focused. If results don't go the way you think they ought to, keep on trying anyway.

Once again, good luck. If you need any advice, support, or help, that's what this thread is for.:-)
I second Andrew's recommendations, especially the logging of your food intake and drinking water.

I'd also suggest that if you don't already, bring your lunches from home. YOu can control much easier what you're eating. Invest in a good kitchen scale to weigh out your portions. If you don't already eat veggies, learn to love them. They're non-caloric dense food, so you can eat larger volumes without taking in that many calories.

For snacks, 1oz of cashews, almonds or peanuts will go a long way, plus they're full of the good unsaturated fats. Beef Jerky is another good snack item. Low in fat, high in protein. Unfortunately usually very high in sodium, so stick to 1oz at a time.

I"m trying to remember the name of the exercises that use body resistance. in such a small area, you should be able to get away with doing those.

Originally Posted by shilala:
208.2 this morning, guys.
Good job Scott! :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 08:35 AM 05-11-2011
Thanks for the welcome Gents!

Andy, I like the idea and I'm going to try and track the calories I eat.
On the weekends I'll try and get a little exercise in, this may only amount to me pulling my daughter around the block in her red wagon, but it is more than I am doing now.
Usually when the weekend rolls around, I'm shot.
You have no Idea how exhausting doing nothing at work all week is!

I will keep you posted on my progress and look to help in any way I can :-)

Thanks again!
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:59 AM 05-11-2011
One thing to get started would be to see how much you're eating currently, without making any adjustments.

Track for a few days or so your intake and use that to set a goal for your new daily caloric intake. Check out http://nutritiondata.self.com/ as a great site to get the nutritional info of most foods, including restaurants.

Once you've established a baseline, set a goal you can stick with. Say you're taking in 3000 cals a day now, shoot for 2500. The worst thing you could to is try to go whole hog and get down to 1800 cals/day right off the bat. You're body will revolt, you'll be miserable, hungry all the time. You'd be surprised at how much impact little changes can make.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:02 AM 05-11-2011
Just thought of this for exercising at work, how about a resistance band in your area. Use it to do whatever exercise the space will allow.
[Reply]
shilala 09:09 AM 05-11-2011
A resistance band is a great idea, but make sure you get a full set of exercises on the net or from a Physical Therapist. Working one set of muscles can screw up your joints but good. Take it from a knot-head who did just that. :-)
Someone in the thread was looking for a set of low-impact resistance exercises on the internet, anyone remember who it was? Maybe I was imagining it?

Dom, if you decide to use it, and you can't find anything, I'm sure my wife knows where to get a plan. There's bands in the basement so she must have used them at one time.
[Reply]
kgoings 09:22 AM 05-11-2011
Weighed in this morning, 196.2. A bit disappointed but that probably comes from my background as a wrestler...the only way I have ever lost weight was crash dieting and dropping 10+ pounds in a couple days. I'll keep at it
[Reply]
Starscream 09:57 AM 05-11-2011
Weighed in this morning, 196.2. A bit disappointed but that probably comes from my background as a wrestler...the only way I have ever lost weight was crash dieting and dropping 10+ pounds in a couple days. I'll keep at it
That's about nine pounds in 8 days, isn't it, Kirk? Sounds like awesome progress to me.:-)
[Reply]
kgoings 10:51 AM 05-11-2011
Yea I guess I should be happy that I am just sticking to it. I was hoping for 190
[Reply]
shilala 11:21 AM 05-11-2011
Yea I guess I should be happy that I am just sticking to it. I was hoping for 190
I did the "make weight for wrestling" thing, too. That's not what you're shooting for, Kirk.
If you remember, that weight started coming right back the minute you got off the weigh-in scale for the tournament, because that's what you wanted. You hydrated and ate and put on as much weight as you could throughout the tournament.
That's not what you want here at all. You're gonna stall real soon, then weight will come off real slow. I'm just telling you so you don't get let down and give up.
Think of how long it took you to put on the weight. Then figure out what you want to lose. Then get a calculator out and figure a loss of about 1.2 lbs. a week. (If you were a lot heavier, you'd figure 1.6 or 1.8 lbs./week.)
See where you should be in a month and make damn sure you meet that goal. Then see what your next month goal should be, and make damn sure you met that, and so on.
I think Andy started this thread over 2 years ago and there aren't a lot of guys who stuck it out. It's easier to stick it out with realistic, proven goals.
All b1tching aside, you're kicking ass, my brother!!! :-)
[Reply]
goalie204 01:02 PM 05-11-2011
replace food with cigars :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 01:06 PM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by goalie204:
replace food with cigars :-)
:-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 01:09 PM 05-11-2011
Tomorrow is my weighin day. I've been hovering around that 242.2-242.6 mark all week as my low points of the day. I have class until 7pm tonight and won't get home until close to 8pm. Not sure if I can get in one last power walk. Hoping for the 241's.
[Reply]
Page 72 of 129
« First < 2262707172 737482122 > Last »
Up