Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 72 of 138
« First < 2262707172 737482122 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
T.G 11:53 PM 08-26-2011
Credos have no visual indicator Mike. You have to wait for the humidity to drop in your humidor to know that they need watering. Furthermore, they are just plain horrible humidifiers. One way only, no capability for absorbing excess moisture, no indicator of when they need watering, great potential for mold. They were great at one time, but mind you, so was a clay brick soaked in water, in fact, there really isn't much difference other than the brick being around for a century or two. We have the technology for better, so why not use it? Ditch the Credos and get beads (or gel, although gel doesn't absorb excess moisture/humidity very quickly).
[Reply]
Tallman 06:01 AM 08-27-2011
[quote=bobarian;1389281]Interesting. Splits can occur randomly although they can be an indication of high humidity. Sometimes with active humidification like yours the sticks closer to the source will be slightly higher rh. But as to the cause of the unwrapping at the cap I am stumped. If its just a stick or two maybe it was just a random occurrence, more than that I would look deeper for cause.

Thank you. I'm beginning to think "random", as I pulled another hundred or so sticks out ( a bunch of different stuff I've bought as singles or fivers, and keep in boxes I got at the B & M) and found no other sticks showing splits. Good exercise for me, though, taking them out and rolling them to "feel" how humid they are. I think I need to drop the rh down to 65 or so...
M
[Reply]
Chris. 06:24 AM 08-27-2011
My RH stays around 63-65%. I haven't calibrated my hygrometer in quite some times though. Reckon I need to do that soon...
[Reply]
Tallman 07:28 AM 08-27-2011
Originally Posted by Tallman:
Thank you. The cap was intact, I've tried to attach a photo and couldn't figure out how to resize it...I'll work on that tomorrow. The Ashton is now a happy memory. The humidor has a water tray, wick and fan, and I have a couple Bovedas scattered throughout. The hygrometer was recalibrated using the moist salt method about two weeks ago.

Murray
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
One other thing that can cause wrappers to split is a big difference in humidity between what the cigars are stored at in your humidor and the ambient humidity where you are smoking.

I'm not sure that this is your problem, but it is something to be aware of.
Thank you ...RH here in NW Arkansas today is a smooooth 84%. I wouldn't think that would be the issue, but as you said, something to be aware of.
[Reply]
Cawndor 06:04 PM 08-27-2011
I cannot seem to get my 2 desktop humidors to drop below 73%RH. I've taken out the humidifiers and its seems 73% is the lowest I can get it to drop. I Live in the Northeast and it's very humid this time of year. I just purchased Heartfelt beads humidity tube 65% and I'm hoping that will solve my problems. Have I missed anything?

Thanks
[Reply]
Drez 06:17 PM 08-27-2011
Originally Posted by Cawndor:
I cannot seem to get my 2 desktop humidors to drop below 73%RH. I've taken out the humidifiers and its seems 73% is the lowest I can get it to drop. I Live in the Northeast and it's very humid this time of year. I just purchased Heartfelt beads humidity tube 65% and I'm hoping that will solve my problems. Have I missed anything?

Thanks
Have you aired out the humi? Take whatever sticks you have out and out them in a Tupperware or zip lock bag and leave the humi open for a few hours. Then close and check the hygro after a few hours. Repeat as needed.

Also make surethe hygro is calibrated and has fresh batteries.
[Reply]
Bill86 06:18 PM 08-27-2011
Originally Posted by Cawndor:

Thanks
How long have you given the beads to level out the humidity?

How's the seal on these humidors?
[Reply]
Drez 06:26 PM 08-27-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
How long have you given the beads to level out the humidity?

How's the seal on these humidors?
I don't think they came in yet bill also if the seal was poor it would prob have a hard time holding humidity. If it's not dropping below 73 then my guess is either it's over saturated or the hygro needs to be recalibrated (and have the batts checked).

Sounds like the seal is good. How are the sticks smoking?
[Reply]
Cawndor 09:07 PM 08-27-2011
Bill, I have not received the beads yet.

The seals seem to be fine. I bought both humidors new over the past month and have analog and digital hygros for both (salt tested and got 75%RH) I will try airing the humi's out to see if that fixes my issue. Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.
[Reply]
DPD6030 09:34 PM 08-27-2011
How many cigars you got in the humidor? Maybe the cigars are too humid and need to be dry-boxed a bit. That may bring the humidity down. :-) Do you have a hygro out of the humidor so you see what the surrounding humidity in the room is?
[Reply]
Cawndor 07:00 AM 08-28-2011
I have a small 50ct and a slightly larger 75ct. Both are only 1/2 full now, but were 80% full the 1st week I bought them. I bought a bunch of samplers from a website, one that MANY members here suggest against buying from. Many of the cigars came with cracked wrappers and were dried out. The Temp/RH in my house is around 74F/70%

I seasoned the humidors with a light wipe down of interior with distilled water and left a small bowl inside over night. The smaller one seemed to be ok but over time the RH would increase. The larger one was at 80%RH and after removing the humidifier I've gotten it down to around 73%.

I'm going to try Drez suggestion today. The sticks are hit or miss. Some are tunneling others smoke great.
[Reply]
irratebass 08:01 AM 08-28-2011
Bob & Adam, thanks again for your know how's....Bob that heartfelt site didn't come up, but I haven't googled it yet either.......looks like I need to get some beads.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:31 AM 08-28-2011
http://heartfeltindustries.com/produ...Humidity+Beads
[Reply]
irratebass 09:48 AM 08-28-2011
Perfect Tom thanks :-)
[Reply]
MrClean 10:19 PM 09-20-2011
So I'd like to get on the NST list pretty soon. But I'm wondering what are best ways to ship sticks. I see the cool 'slotted' ziploc style bags, but I'm having trouble locating them for sale.
[Reply]
Bill86 10:27 PM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by MrClean:
So I'd like to get on the NST list pretty soon. But I'm wondering what are best ways to ship sticks. I see the cool 'slotted' ziploc style bags, but I'm having trouble locating them for sale.
There are group buys here usually. With more participation you'll see that forum shortly.

No post count or time duration, just participation.

There probably won't be another for a good bit, a few months I would imagine.

Vacuum sealing a zip-block bag (probably a storage or freezer bag as they are a big thicker) with them close together works. I've seen many people do this.

Use bubble wrap and what not.

The usual method of shipping is the small flat rate boxes at the USPS. Delivery confirmation #'s are also required from the NST, I believe, but almost everyone always gets them whenever they ship cigars. It's good practice and covers you on both ends.
[Reply]
Whee 10:43 PM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by MrClean:
There is a sticky in the new inmate area I believe about shipping. Can't link from phone, but a quick search should pull it up.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Bill86 10:47 PM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier:
There is a sticky in the new inmate area I believe about shipping. Can't link from phone, but a quick search should pull it up.
Posted via Mobile Device
I got ya :-)

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3267
[Reply]
Whee 10:48 PM 09-20-2011
Thanks buddy! :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
MrClean 11:07 PM 09-20-2011
Thanks guys, I had briefly read over that initially and forget where it was. I believe that answers most of questions.
[Reply]
Page 72 of 138
« First < 2262707172 737482122 > Last »
Up