Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 71 of 138
« First < 2161697071 727381121 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
688sonarmen 07:45 AM 08-13-2011
Bodivas will last for several months. Like Bill said a tupperware container may be your best option. As far as freezing goes that is typically something for the really sick folk with very large collections that can't be checked 100% every day or week. (Checking each box/each stick for beetles) but some info from guys much smarter than I on it

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...eezing+science
[Reply]
irratebass 09:15 AM 08-13-2011
Thanks Bill & Jake my funds are very limited, but will take note on that, because I am sure down the road I will need something like this.

I did find a water pillow and will use that for these cheapies I just bought.
[Reply]
Whee 09:46 AM 08-13-2011
Originally Posted by irratebass:
Sorry I waited too long and couldn't edit my previous post...got another question:

I am going out and planning on getting 2-3 sticks today, I still don't have my humidor can I just store them in plastic bags until I am ready to smoke? Or do you suggest freezing them? If I do freeze them, how long do I have to wait after taking them out can I smoke them?

Thanks
Plastic bags will work fine for the short term. I've used Tupperware in the past as well. Cheap and works well.

Not sure on the freezing question, but your answer may be in here.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...light=freezing
[Reply]
irratebass 10:44 AM 08-13-2011
Thanks, I figure with the pillow and only for a week I should be ok.:-)
[Reply]
bobarian 10:53 AM 08-13-2011
Ziplock bags are fine for temporary storage. Just ask MoTheMan. :-)
[Reply]
irratebass 07:38 AM 08-25-2011
Stupid question maybe, but look up at Illinoishoosier's info.....what are those circles at the bottom? I have one....is this in regards to trades, and I have seen some people have two cigar bands at the bottom, I only have one....or is this something that will be opened to me later after I have been here longer?
[Reply]
pnoon 07:56 AM 08-25-2011
Circles are added as levels of "reputation" are reached. The circles or measure of rep means squat. People give rep for a variety of valid or inane reasons. The rep system is just a vehicle to send a personal/private note to another member. Some members, like me, have disabled the display of the rings.

The two bands you speak of can be set from you user control panel. One is for your favorite Cuba marca. The other is for actve/retired miltary folks.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
icehog3 07:57 AM 08-25-2011
It is "reputation" given by other members. I have mine disabled.

Click on the "scales" icon to give it.
[Reply]
irratebass 08:37 AM 08-25-2011
Peter....D'oh I knew it was for the military, thanks as well Tom
[Reply]
Whee 09:26 AM 08-25-2011
Stupid question maybe, but look up at Illinoishoosier's info.....what are those circles at the bottom? I have one....is this in regards to trades, and I have seen some people have two cigar bands at the bottom, I only have one....or is this something that will be opened to me later after I have been here longer?
They're donuts for when I get hungry later. :-)
[Reply]
irratebass 09:56 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier:
They're donuts for when I get hungry later. :-)

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Tallman 09:18 PM 08-26-2011
Wrappers splitting...
Hello all, noob question-is "too dry" or "too humid" more likely to cause split wrappers? Or is it not that simple?
I just pulled an Oliva connecticut shade stick out of the humidor, and it was split near the foot And the wrapper was coming "unwrapped" up near the cap. I then pulled an Ashton Cabinet belicoso out and the wrapper was coming unwound up near the cap...that one brought a tear to my eye so I smoked it. My digital has been showing a steady 68-70 rh forever...humi is a Vigilant 1500 (yeah, sure) stick end-table style cabinet. Any thoughts appreciated.
Murray
[Reply]
chippewastud79 09:25 PM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by Tallman:
Wrappers splitting...
Hello all, noob question-is "too dry" or "too humid" more likely to cause split wrappers? Or is it not that simple?
I just pulled an Oliva connecticut shade stick out of the humidor, and it was split near the foot And the wrapper was coming "unwrapped" up near the cap. I then pulled an Ashton Cabinet belicoso out and the wrapper was coming unwound up near the cap...that one brought a tear to my eye so I smoked it. My digital has been showing a steady 68-70 rh forever...humi is a Vigilant 1500 (yeah, sure) stick end-table style cabinet. Any thoughts appreciated.
Murray
Sounds like you might be cutting too much of the cap. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 09:27 PM 08-26-2011
Unwrapping near the cap is unusual, the cap should keep the wrapper in place, that's the reason for the cap in the first place. Were the caps intact? You many need to recalibrate your hygrometer. What are you using for humidification? In a larger unit like that you may need several sources to keep the humidity even throughout. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:38 PM 08-26-2011
One other thing that can cause wrappers to split is a big difference in humidity between what the cigars are stored at in your humidor and the ambient humidity where you are smoking.

I'm not sure that this is your problem, but it is something to be aware of.
[Reply]
Tallman 10:14 PM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Unwrapping near the cap is unusual, the cap should keep the wrapper in place, that's the reason for the cap in the first place. Were the caps intact? You many need to recalibrate your hygrometer. What are you using for humidification? In a larger unit like that you may need several sources to keep the humidity even throughout. :-)
Thank you. The cap was intact, I've tried to attach a photo and couldn't figure out how to resize it...I'll work on that tomorrow. The Ashton is now a happy memory. The humidor has a water tray, wick and fan, and I have a couple Bovedas scattered throughout. The hygrometer was recalibrated using the moist salt method about two weeks ago.

Murray
[Reply]
irratebass 10:40 PM 08-26-2011
How often should you refill your humidifier?
[Reply]
bobarian 11:16 PM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by Tallman:
Thank you. The cap was intact, I've tried to attach a photo and couldn't figure out how to resize it...I'll work on that tomorrow. The Ashton is now a happy memory. The humidor has a water tray, wick and fan, and I have a couple Bovedas scattered throughout. The hygrometer was recalibrated using the moist salt method about two weeks ago.

Murray
Interesting. Splits can occur randomly although they can be an indication of high humidity. Sometimes with active humidification like yours the sticks closer to the source will be slightly higher rh. But as to the cause of the unwrapping at the cap I am stumped. If its just a stick or two maybe it was just a random occurrence, more than that I would look deeper for a cause.

How often should you refill your humidifier?
This would depend on the type of humidifier. Active humidifiers like Oasis or Hydra's have a reservoir you fill when it runs dry. Gel or beads will turn color as they dry and require water. The other indicator would be when your rh drops below your desired level by 5% or more. :-)
[Reply]
irratebass 11:43 PM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Interesting. Splits can occur randomly although they can be an indication of high humidity. Sometimes with active humidification like yours the sticks closer to the source will be slightly higher rh. But as to the cause of the unwrapping at the cap I am stumped. If its just a stick or two maybe it was just a random occurrence, more than that I would look deeper for a cause.

This would depend on the type of humidifier. Active humidifiers like Oasis or Hydra's have a reservoir you fill when it runs dry. Gel or beads will turn color as they dry and require water. The other indicator would be when your rh drops below your desired level by 5% or more. :-)
These humidifiers:
Bottom pic the humidifier is in the top middle section above the case.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:51 PM 08-26-2011
Those look like foam filled humidifiers. Unless you are using propylene glycol all they do is add moisture, very difficult to regulate with those as they do not absorb excess humidity. I would switch to a couple of 1oz tubes of Heartfelt beads(heartfeltindustries.com) or a Puck from Cigarmony.com. The Puck is filled with beads. Both are trouble free and easy to use. :-)
[Reply]
Page 71 of 138
« First < 2161697071 727381121 > Last »
Up