Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 70 of 138
« First < 2060686970 717280120 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
area51 07:54 PM 08-10-2011
I use Cigar Aficionados' Personal Humidor.
[Reply]
Tyler 09:18 PM 08-10-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Good call, Brent! :-) :-)
That thread is full of so many grammatical errors that I can not stand it. :-)

I don't want to beat a dead horse so that is all I am going to say but it really bothered me when they went at it and couldn't even spell correctly lol.

:-):-)
[Reply]
TwiceTheJava 01:06 PM 08-12-2011
I need help using and maintaining my torch lighters.

My luck with butane torch lighters is so bad that at this point it can't be bad luck, I must be doing something wrong. I've now purchased two expensive, dual-torch lighters (I'm not sure of the brand of my first, got it at a B&M years ago) and a Xikar Element.

The old one takes a dozen attempts to get a flame, which then goes out instantly. A few more dozen attempts and I either get a flame that lasts long enough to light a cigar, or I give up and use a cheap disposable.

The Xikar Element never lights on the first try (but always on the second try). After trying suggestions I read on here and adjusting the flame level, I made it worse. Now it takes several attempts to get it lit. I'm on my first "fill up" of the Xikar and I haven't even used it to light a cigar yet.

What I'm doing with the old one:
When fuel is low, I empty it completely by taking something small & pointy and pressing it to the refill nozzle thingy. I make sure it empties completely. I turn the lighter upside down, insert the butane refill, press and hold for a few seconds until the fuel indicator window looks filled. I have the flame adjustment knob set usually between 60-90% of maximum flame height.

The result is a hard time lighting them, and sputtering flames that look like there is too much air mixed in with the fuel. Oh, and I don't know what people are talking about when they use these things in the wind. A gentle breeze blows them out. Sometimes the old one goes out because it's too close to my face and my exhaling puts it out.

What am I doing wrong!?
[Reply]
Bill86 01:08 PM 08-12-2011
Poor quality butane maybe? Try using Vector.
[Reply]
kickerb 01:13 PM 08-12-2011
Yeah, make sure you use a good quality butane.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 01:14 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Poor quality butane maybe? Try using Vector.
Or Lava if you can still find it.
[Reply]
Cornrow_Wallis 02:20 PM 08-12-2011
The xikars have a good warranty don't they? If you can't get it fixed tinkering with it, send it back.

My lotus was like your xikar where it wouldn't light on the first click, it would take two clicks every single time. I read somewhere that you ought to push the button slowly and that would help. I started doing that and now it lights on the first click, unless I forget and mash the button down. Also, it sounds like you may have the flame on the element set too low now, try turning it up a bit and see if that helps.

No clue on the older lighter, sorry. Like those guys said, make sure you are using good butane.
[Reply]
Devanmc 02:23 PM 08-12-2011
id just send the xikar in to be fixed. they have a great warranty. It was easy to see my last punch had been "abused" but they just replaced it no questions asked.
[Reply]
Mattso3000 02:30 PM 08-12-2011
Ronson Jetlite... for the price of the xikar you can buy 8 and one will be bound to work perfectly!
[Reply]
Doctorossi 02:33 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by Mattso3000:
Ronson Jetlite... for the price of the xikar you can buy 8 and one will be bound to work perfectly!
:-)

IMO, probably tied with the Palio cutter for best accessory bargain on the planet. :-)
[Reply]
Mattso3000 02:36 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
:-)

IMO, probably tied with the Palio cutter for best accessory bargain on the planet. :-)
Yeah, forgot to add the other 7 will work just fine and you can re-sell them on here to anyone that can't find one. Love those things.
[Reply]
Devanmc 02:38 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by Mattso3000:
i use my ronson more then my xikar and idc what happens to the ronson. which reminds me i need to buy more.
[Reply]
Mattso3000 02:43 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by Devanmc:
i use my ronson more then my xikar and idc what happens to the ronson. which reminds me i need to buy more.
half the time I forget it out on the patio table and 3 days later sit down and pick it up to fire up another cigar. Hasn't failed me yet for $5.
[Reply]
T.G 03:19 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Or Lava if you can still find it.
Lava is getting very scarce these days but Tattooworks butane is alegedly the same formula/butane just under a new name due to the unexpected / untimely death of the owner of Lava which caused the name to get tied up in court for royalties or usage rights somehow.

http://www.lavabutane.com/

In unscientific testing of the product by simply using it my torches (yeah, I actually do use torches once in a while) I didn't notice any performance difference between Lava and Tattooworks, and both performed better than Vector.
[Reply]
hscmit 04:59 PM 08-12-2011
didnt realize that about lava

I have used their butane for years and always been very happy with it
[Reply]
irratebass 11:15 PM 08-12-2011
Ok I got through all 70 pages of this thread and didn't see an answer for this seriously noob question:

What is a punch? Is it just inserting a pen or a golf tee into the cap?
Those keychain things are they punches?

Really confused on this, I have a CHEAP cutter that I am not very happy with and looking for alternatives, I know about your fav cutters, but curious about these punches.....it sounds like the punch is a lot less hassle, but I could be wrong.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:34 PM 08-12-2011
A punch is a device that punches a hole in the tip of the cigar.

You could use a golf tee or a pen -- I'm sure that you would not be the first. Most punches only pierce the wrapper and help to remove the cut-out piece of wrapper. Punches come in various sizes to accomodate different ring gauges.

One thing about a punch -- the open area tends to be smaller with a punch than with a cutter which may cause more tar build-up as you smoke.

You can pick up a nice punch to try out for just a few dollars.
[Reply]
irratebass 06:22 AM 08-13-2011
Thanks Michael, that looks like a large punch, unless you push it and it extends into a smaller pen like thing, thanks for the pic, that helps.....I need to experiment.
[Reply]
irratebass 07:32 AM 08-13-2011
Sorry I waited too long and couldn't edit my previous post...got another question:

I am going out and planning on getting 2-3 sticks today, I still don't have my humidor can I just store them in plastic bags until I am ready to smoke? Or do you suggest freezing them? If I do freeze them, how long do I have to wait after taking them out can I smoke them?

Thanks
[Reply]
Bill86 07:36 AM 08-13-2011
Originally Posted by irratebass:
Sorry I waited too long and couldn't edit my previous post...got another question:

I am going out and planning on getting 2-3 sticks today, I still don't have my humidor can I just store them in plastic bags until I am ready to smoke? Or do you suggest freezing them? If I do freeze them, how long do I have to wait after taking them out can I smoke them?

Thanks
You could always buy a 5-15 count traveler and a boveda pack till you get a proper humidor. Not like you won't end up using a travel humidor again someday anyways.

I'm sure they will keep decent for quite a while in a tupperware container. Get a boveda pack and toss it in there, cheap easy solution.
[Reply]
Page 70 of 138
« First < 2060686970 717280120 > Last »
Up