Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 7 of 13
« First < 567 89 > Last »
Health and Fitness>P90X Workout
kaisersozei 09:13 AM 01-15-2010
I've got pictures posted on my beachbody.com account, but no one here would want to see my hairy, half-naked body. Jealousy & all that... :-)

But here are my stats from before P90x, at the end of the first time through, and then at the end of this second round.

I'm very pleased :-)

Taking a break for a little bit, but thinking about what comes next. Gotta make sure I can keep this up.
[Reply]
JE3146 12:02 AM 01-22-2010
Day 1 down for me and the wife.

Holy @*#^@ :-)

89 days.... 89 days.
[Reply]
DPD6030 07:02 AM 01-22-2010
Once again I have an extra set of the DVDs in case anyone is interested.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:34 AM 01-22-2010
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
Once again I have an extra set of the DVDs in case anyone is interested.
If no one speaks up for them, I may know someone who would be interested. I'll check.
[Reply]
JE3146 12:24 AM 01-23-2010
I'm quite convinced Plyometrics is a gift from Satan....

I don't see how it's humanly possible to finish that DVD following them move for move. They're MUTANTS. I had to crawl to a chair to lift myself up off the floor after that crap.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 06:10 AM 01-23-2010
Originally Posted by JE3146:
I'm quite convinced Plyometrics is a gift from Satan....

I don't see how it's humanly possible to finish that DVD following them move for move. They're MUTANTS. I had to crawl to a chair to lift myself up off the floor after that crap.
Let me give you the "Plyometrics Ladder of Progression," in CA Smilie speak:

Weeks 1-3: :-)

Weeks 4 & 8: :-) (there's no plyo!)

Weeks 5-7: :-)

Week 9-12: :-)

Week 13: :-)

So to summarize: it gets progressively better--more tolerable, that is--but never easy. I guarantee you'll be following them before you finish!
[Reply]
JE3146 06:31 PM 01-23-2010
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Let me give you the "Plyometrics Ladder of Progression," in CA Smilie speak:

So to summarize: it gets progressively better--more tolerable, that is--but never easy. I guarantee you'll be following them before you finish!
:-)

I hope so... felt like I got hit by a car.

I think the hardest part of this program is the diet. And it not the way you would think. The portions they have you eating of healthy food is amazing. I don't even think I'm eating enough, but I'm not hungry.

I had to modify the diet a bit since I'm a diabetic (ie.. needed more than 30-45 carbs a day lol).. but wow.. they had me making 8-10 ounce turkey burger patties. Those were huge!.
[Reply]
Mr.Goodfella 06:41 PM 01-23-2010
I really enjoyed the plyometrics even from the start, the one that kicked my butt was the yoga. For the first couple weeks I would drop out after 45 minutes and then I called it a "rest day" from there. I never finished the complete 90 days but I will tell you that I had huge results, mostly pull ups (started at 8 and stopped after 9 weeks with 37).
The diet was pretty rough but you can pretty much pick and choose from the menu but I got sick of eating the same stuff every week. Now when I want to lose weight fast, I eat a whole bunch of turkey lunch meat, fruits, and a crap ton of veggies, so far 6lbs. in one week, 20 more to go for the next 6 weeks.
[Reply]
JE3146 07:00 PM 01-23-2010
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodfella:
I really enjoyed the plyometrics even from the start, the one that kicked my butt was the yoga. For the first couple weeks I would drop out after 45 minutes and then I called it a "rest day" from there. I never finished the complete 90 days but I will tell you that I had huge results, mostly pull ups (started at 8 and stopped after 9 weeks with 37).
The diet was pretty rough but you can pretty much pick and choose from the menu but I got sick of eating the same stuff every week. Now when I want to lose weight fast, I eat a whole bunch of turkey lunch meat, fruits, and a crap ton of veggies, so far 6lbs. in one week, 20 more to go for the next 6 weeks.
I just modified it to my liking. I eat a special K bar for breakfast or a bowl of special K. (LOVE that cereal, so it's not even a punishment)

Lunch is typically a small sandwich or tunafish. Some string cheese or stuff for snacks. Then for dinner we get creative with healthy recipes mostly consisting of pork chops, chicken, rice, trying some salmon tomorrow, lots of frozen steam veggies instead of canned to reduce sodium intake.

Cut down on the soda about 500%, but we drank diet before this. Switched it up to some crystal light and some carbonated water(little bad since they don't recommend it, but it's sodium free and personally I don't care. I'm not giving up everything lol. )

I'm full every night at dinner, but my stomach usually growls before bed. That's the hardest part is resisting that craving. But I enjoy my breakfast so much, that i have that to look forward to. Though tomorrow we're gonna try that chicken-basil egg scramble. That sounded quite tasty.

I'm actually impressed at the recipes. Some are quite good sounding.
[Reply]
ade06 09:46 PM 01-23-2010
Wife and I are going to give it a go for the ssecond try. 1st time out the gate we did 60 days. We both started seeing good results, but with the holidays, we both kind of flunked out. This time around, we're in it for the full 90 days. It "should" be more manageable without the holidays...
[Reply]
JE3146 09:51 PM 01-23-2010
Originally Posted by ade06:
Wife and I are going to give it a go for the ssecond try. 1st time out the gate we did 60 days. We both started seeing good results, but with the holidays, we both kind of flunked out. This time around, we're in it for the full 90 days. It "should" be more manageable without the holidays...
I can see how that could be hard. Goodluck :-)

We're right there with you. Day 3 for us :-)
[Reply]
JE3146 04:28 PM 01-29-2010
Round 2 of Plyo today.

Day 9 and going strong. Added some recovery drinks for my post workouts and it alleviated most of my next-day muscle fatigue/pain. Not sure if that was a coincidence that I'm getting used to working out, or if it actually works, but I'll take it.

Blended a scoop of BSN Syntha-6 Chocolate with about 5 ounces of nonfat milk and some ice cubes. Actually tasted like a chocolate milkshake. :-)

Obviously there are no real results yet, but I feel better day to day. More energy almost.
[Reply]
Tripp 05:02 PM 01-29-2010
Round 2 of Plyo today.

Day 9 and going strong. Added some recovery drinks for my post workouts and it alleviated most of my next-day muscle fatigue/pain. Not sure if that was a coincidence that I'm getting used to working out, or if it actually works, but I'll take it.

Blended a scoop of BSN Syntha-6 Chocolate with about 5 ounces of nonfat milk and some ice cubes. Actually tasted like a chocolate milkshake. :-)

Obviously there are no real results yet, but I feel better day to day. More energy almost.
The soreness going away is a result of both your body being used to being so active, and the increased protein intake. If you're trying to gain muscle mass, I would raise your protein intake a bit, by taking a shake about 30 mins before you start your workout as well.

I used P90x for a few months, and it helped me get into better shape, but the workouts weren't really for me, since they really focus more on endurance than intensity. As a result I've started doing customized workouts, and have been getting much better results. Though I still use Interval X from p90x+ for my cardio.
[Reply]
JE3146 05:35 PM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by Tripp:
The soreness going away is a result of both your body being used to being so active, and the increased protein intake. If you're trying to gain muscle mass, I would raise your protein intake a bit, by taking a shake about 30 mins before you start your workout as well.

I used P90x for a few months, and it helped me get into better shape, but the workouts weren't really for me, since they really focus more on endurance than intensity. As a result I've started doing customized workouts, and have been getting much better results. Though I still use Interval X from p90x+ for my cardio.
Only problem I see with that is these shakes I calculated out to being about 20 carbs a piece.

I may start doing this on phase 2, but for now I think it might be a bit overkill.
[Reply]
Tripp 05:46 PM 01-29-2010
Only problem I see with that is these shakes I calculated out to being about 20 carbs a piece.

I may start doing this on phase 2, but for now I think it might be a bit overkill.
If you're watching carbs, I'd switch to a low-carb protein shake, and just add a tablespoon of sugar for some after-workout carbs, which will help your muscles absorb the protein. :-)
[Reply]
ade06 06:57 PM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by Tripp:
If you're watching carbs, I'd switch to a low-carb protein shake, and just add a tablespoon of sugar for some after-workout carbs, which will help your muscles absorb the protein. :-)
While I didn't and am not following the food plan, I'm pretty sure that if you're following the plan to a tee, sugar should not be added. But again, I'm not really following the food plan.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 06:39 PM 01-30-2010
Originally Posted by ade06:
While I didn't and am not following the food plan, I'm pretty sure that if you're following the plan to a tee, sugar should not be added. But again, I'm not really following the food plan.
Honey or some fruit would be an acceptable alternative, and it's even on the "approved" list.

Although I think Jordan's aversion to carbs is more a result of his diabetes. My wife is insulin-dependent Type 1 and she doesn't do the recovery drink either, just deals with the soreness. Too tough regulating her insulin levels with all the exercise anyway. :-)
[Reply]
JE3146 06:43 PM 01-30-2010
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Honey or some fruit would be an acceptable alternative, and it's even on the "approved" list.

Although I think Jordan's aversion to carbs is more a result of his diabetes. My wife is insulin-dependent Type 1 and she doesn't do the recovery drink either, just deals with the soreness. Too tough regulating her insulin levels with all the exercise anyway. :-)
Actually I've found the recovery drink is the perfect amount of carbs to ingest without insulin to offset the crash post workout.

20 grams of carbs seems to do the trick. I haven't woken up in the middle of the night yet since doing the recovery drinks. And I feel better the next day. Win win, but you're right, by increasing it to 40 carbs, I would have to take insulin, and with the way the body reacts post workout, even with a small dosage, I'd still crash. It's a fine line between a good night sleep and waking up in a cold sweat with shaky hands. Not fun :-)

Also can anyone recommend a good daily vitamin? I got a nasty cramp in my side one workout after I sneezed. My entire diaphragm just locked up. I was in pain for about 10 minutes. I'm thinking that that might be a hint that I need more potassium, calcium.. etc.
[Reply]
ade06 07:36 PM 01-30-2010
Also can anyone recommend a good daily vitamin? I got a nasty cramp in my side one workout after I sneezed. My entire diaphragm just locked up. I was in pain for about 10 minutes. I'm thinking that that might be a hint that I need more potassium, calcium.. etc.
I've been taking the "Whole Food Men's One Daily" from the Vitamin Shoppe. :-)
[Reply]
Ash410 10:10 PM 01-30-2010
I definetly have more energy each day, even with less than my normal requirement for sleep for work nights. and its only been 10 days. I'm not sure if Ill see "real results" but having more energy and feeling good-great everyday is a great result in my eyes! :-) I wonder what the next 80 days will bring with it.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 13
« First < 567 89 > Last »
Up