Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 7 of 33
« First < 567 8917 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Rolling your own
Sin 06:56 PM 11-24-2011
def a hobby I could get into
[Reply]
Shawn hines 01:34 AM 11-25-2011
Wow, I have been thinking of doing this for several years, but just couldn't get the nerve to do so... But I think that I may have to make a investment today.

So when you need those reviews on more sticks I would like to put my cigar club on the list, if you ship to FPO
[Reply]
BlkDrew 06:54 AM 11-25-2011
Originally Posted by Shawn hines:
Wow, I have been thinking of doing this for several years, but just couldn't get the nerve to do so... But I think that I may have to make a investment today.

So when you need those reviews on more sticks I would like to put my cigar club on the list, if you ship to FPO
If you have any questions when purchasing, I can help answer them.

I'd be more than happy to ship a couple to an FPO, just pm me an address.
[Reply]
Dr Voss 08:42 AM 11-25-2011
This is a great thread, I'm just a noob and it has me interested in giving it try.
[Reply]
BlkDrew 11:48 AM 11-25-2011
Thanks Brian,

Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
Initial Thoughts: The wrapper has some visible veins and is applied very well. Overall the stick looks well constructed, with only a few minor soft spots.

First Third: The pre-draw brings notes of cut hay and a little vanilla. After the light the first few draws bring notes of hay, roasted nuts, and some light pepper. After it settles down there are some notes of buttered toast and some earthy, woodsy notes that I’m having trouble pinning down. Some slightly sweet caramel notes are mixing in nicely with some light black pepper notes. The draw is fantastic, not too loose and not too tight, and the burn is very good too, only needing one touch up (which I’m not entirely sure wasn’t my fault when I lit the cigar). The ash is a light grey color and is a little flaky, so it only holds to about a half an inch.

Second Third: Starting into the second third the cigar has really calmed down and is really starting to shine. The buttered toast, sweet caramel, and pepper notes are still hanging around. The mild and creamy nature of the Dominican filler really makes this cigar.

Final Third: Starting in on the final third it’s calmed down a bit. More toasted almonds and sweet cream than anything else. It’s stayed mild and smooth throughout the cigar, which I’m impressed with since a lot of retail cigars don’t do that. Finishing the cigar with no bitter notes and the sweet, creamy smoke really leaves a good impression overall.

Total Smoking time: 1:05

Final Thoughts: I enjoyed this cigar, a lot actually. Andrew’s rolling skills were impressive, as was his choice of tobacco blend. I'm ready to go out and buy some of my own tobacco to try my hand at this

[Reply]
kingcobradude 01:51 PM 11-25-2011
I would prolly buy a box of these
[Reply]
BlkDrew 03:23 PM 11-25-2011
so as far as applying the wrapper, I use a stainless tray, because it is easier to cut on, and if you lightly mist the outside of the wrapper, it sticks well to the stainless ( a trick i found on youtube of Sam Leccia rolling a nub)

you always want to start at the tip of the leaf, with veins facing up.

Remove a thin strip of the outer edge of the leaf, this is the edge that shows!

Then remove a larger section of the inner edge, it does not show, and contains the bulk of the veins.
[Reply]
BlkDrew 03:30 PM 11-25-2011
I then bring it up to a tail, applying glue to the wrapper on the last 1/2 inch before the tip. One thing i did not show is that i cut a small flag from a scrap piece and go around the last 1/2 inch again, making a triple cap.

I then "Roll" the cigar, you can either use the Cheveta, or a piece of cedar like i have. this helps flatten out any veins that are really sticking out.

Cap it, i use a 3/4 inch copper union that has been sharpened,

And cut the foot.... now youre done.
[Reply]
Shawn hines 09:28 PM 11-25-2011
Drew all I have to say is more... Great step by step
[Reply]
BlkDrew 03:18 PM 11-26-2011
so i decided to distinguish between my Nicaraguan blend, and Dominican blend i will either use a gold N or D
[Reply]
Shawn hines 08:32 AM 11-27-2011
I am looking forward to the day my box comes in the mail drop.
[Reply]
BlkDrew 01:55 PM 11-28-2011
so i got bored rolling this time. I decided to make a few short sticks, used less filler, did them in the Havana wrapper and a CT shade wrapper

and the meat-head they are named after,
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:00 PM 11-28-2011
Awesome work as always Drew! Can't wait to try another!
Sent your tube back to you today!
[Reply]
Shawn hines 02:00 PM 11-28-2011
So do you think that I can make a mold over here by drilling a in between 2 boards? I know this sound kind of Redneck, but I cant afford a Mold right now but want to try this out.
[Reply]
BlkDrew 02:04 PM 11-28-2011
Originally Posted by Shawn hines:
So do you think that I can make a mold over here by drilling a in between 2 boards? I know this sound kind of Redneck, but I cant afford a Mold right now but want to try this out.
you wont get the best press that way. if you look at my mold the top fits into the bottom, compressing the cigar and making it perfectly round. I had originally ordered one from JP Rose in ohio, if you see one of my first pictures, that was one that was drilled between two boards, and it did alright for the first 3 cigars, then i decided to go the other way.

If you look on ebay there are a lot of ones for sale, just search cigar mold, im sure you could find one in the 30$ range.:-)
[Reply]
Shawn hines 02:07 PM 11-28-2011
Thanks for the info...again
[Reply]
never_enough 09:48 PM 11-28-2011
Still impressed by this. Cigars are looking great.
[Reply]
yourchoice 10:13 PM 11-28-2011
Very cool!:-)
[Reply]
boxmonkey 10:55 PM 11-28-2011
what kind of bunching technique do you use? I've been looking on youtube at different techniques and now I want to cut into a nub to figure out how they bunch them to stand.
[Reply]
BlkDrew 11:20 PM 11-28-2011
Originally Posted by boxmonkey:
what kind of bunching technique do you use? I've been looking on youtube at different techniques and now I want to cut into a nub to figure out how they bunch them to stand.
I have tried a couple ways. Accordian style works really well, I also started doing a u shape with 2 seco leaves and then fold the ligero inside of the "u" with some leftover scrap wrapper that I have dried.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 33
« First < 567 8917 > Last »
Up