Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 7 of 20
« First < 567 8917 > Last »
Sports>College Hoops Thread '10-'11
The Poet 02:52 PM 12-24-2010
Although there was only one result last night which can be called an upset, there were a fair number of notable scores. I'll begin with the upset:

Washington State 77 - Baylor 71 = OK, so maybe this is only an upset because the Bears are overranked at # 15, for no good reason. Look at the facts: The Cougars are now 10-1, with a few good wins over the likes of Gonzaga, Miss. State, Santa Clara, Portland, with their only loss being a close one to Kansas State. On the other hand, this was Baylor's 2nd loss, who have played a soft schedule, with their best wins over Arizona State and LaSalle, plus their other loss was to Gonzaga. Maybe this game will act as a reality check . . . if not for them, for the "experts".

Tennessee 66 - Belmont 65 = But here was a near upset, though maybe not either. The Vols are in disarray and just escaped their 4th L in a row, and as I told you yesterday, Belmont is no Christmas cookie.

Minnesota 85 - South Dakota State 73 = And though this was nowhere near an upset, it was a lot damn closer than it really should have been.

Georgetown 86 - Memphis 69 = And this was even further away from an upset, as I figured the Hoyas would learn the young Tigers. However, I did not expect they would take their lunch and give them a wedgie, so maybe that's upsetting to some. But again, to be honest, Memphis has not played all that well, and have not taxed themselves with a difficult schedule either (wins over Miami, LSU, Western Kentucky? meh.), so if they don't get their act together they may even end up a mid-pack CUSA team.

Butler 67 - Florida State 64 = On the other hand, the Bulldogs have played a decent schedule, and perhaps are finally finding life after Gordon Hayward.

Miami 69 - Akron 61 = Not a great win for the Hurricanes, but not a worse loss either.

Virginia Tech 76 - St. Bonaventure 68 (OT) = Hey, I told you that, believe it or not, this one would be good.

Northern Iowa 66 - New Mexico 60 = And again, I told you.

Arizona State 56 - N.C. A&T 50 = As with the Miami one above, not a nice victory for the Sun Devils, but better than no victory at all.

UCLA 74 - UC Irvine 73 = Same here for the Bruins.

There is very little action anywhere over the next three days, as one would expect. In case you didn't realize it, there's some sort of holiday happening. Yet there are several possible good matchups. Tonight:

Colorado State vs. Southern Mississippi = These are fairly even squads, and should be fun.

Mississippi vs. Saint Louis = Ole Miss is a bit better, but far from unbeatable, so if SL shows up, this could be some fun too.

On Saturday, AKA Christmas Day:

Mississippi State vs. Hawaii = Why is it half the games over the "break" involve the state of Mississippi? Well, whatever. In any case, this one should stay pretty even.

Baylor vs. Florida State = As I said above, the Bears have scarcely tested themselves so far. The Semi-holes will be one, for most of the game anyway.

Butler vs. Washington State = Both teams need to build upon their last victory. I'd expect a real war here.

On Sunday, Boxing Day:

Richmond vs. Seton Hall = It should not shock you by now to know I am a closet Spider fan, and not one bit a Pirate one. Still, I believe this will be a decent game. Besides, you have no other option, so you might as well watch it.

That's it. I'll be out of here until Monday afternoon, so Merry Christmas to all, and to all . . . enjoy.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:38 AM 12-27-2010
Well, I'm back, and because of the blizzard I'm even a little early, since I was the only one who could make it to work. When your commute is two minutes, by foot, there's little excuse. I hope you all had a great holiday, but now it' time to put my ample honker back on the grindstone.

On Friday, Christmas Eve:

Mississippi 69 - Saint Louis 61 = As I said, if the Billikens showed up, this one could be some fun. Maybe if Rick Majerus had shown up himself (he was out sick, though it is reportedly not serious), they perhaps could have grabbed the upset.

Colorado State 63 - Southern Mississippi 58 = And I also had the feeling this would be close too. So, though there wasn't much action, what there was was choice.

On Saturday Christmas Day:

Florida State 68 - Baylor 61 = Well, the Bears failed their test against the Seminoles, and have paid the price by dropping out of the latest AP poll . . . and with good reason. But despite their overranking, this was still a good win for FSU.

Hawaii 68 - Mississippi State 57 = This one was not as close as I thought it would be, but it likely would have been had the Bulldogs not put their two best bigs in the penalty box. Renardo Sidney and Elgin Bailey were both suspended from the MSU team indefinitely, and only because they got into a fistfight in the stands Thursday night, in front of cameras to boot. Hey, what's a little beatdown between roommates, hunh? Their absence allowed the Rainbow Warriors to own the paint, and take the win. Good for them, and good for Miss. State for not putting up with such nonsense.

San Diego 67 - Utah 64 = I did not mention this game in my post last Friday because I did not think the Toreros had a snowball's chance in Honolulu. It's not that the Utes are that good, being merely a .500 or so team, but San Diego purely sucks! This victory "improved" their record to 3-10, and was their first win over a D-1 opponent all year. Good for them, and keep it up, Toreros. The Aztecs need a little competition. :-)

On Sunday, Boxing Day (or here on the East Coast, the first day of a White Kwanzaa):

Richmond 69 - Seton Hall 61 = As I had hoped, a decent game, and a Spider W. And the fact that Pirates senior guard Jeremy Hazell was shot the night before played no factor in the game, since he was already out after wrist surgery for an injury sustained early this month. Reportedly, his wound was not life-threatening, being a shot in the arm (which he wasn't for the Hall). I wish him a rapid and full recovery, and advise him that a night in the hospital is better than the 3-to-5 in jail. If he doubts this he should just ask his former teammates (and his former coach). :-)

I'm gonna take a little break now, and be back later with the upcoming schedule . . . what hasn't been cancelled due to the blizzard (already the Fordham game at Georgia Tech is snowed out). Back shortly.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:18 PM 12-27-2010
My 'net went down for a time, and I thought I'd not get to come back and preview. But it's up again, so lemme try to get this in before it crashes again. So far, there's been no official word of other games cancelled do to the weather, which means we may have tonight:

# 2 Ohio State vs. Tennessee-Martin = Though we really won't have this one, as it shouldn't be much of a game at all.

# 4 U. Conn vs. # 6 Pitt = And though I'm still not convinced either of these two deserve their high rankings (though I'm also lothe to propose alternative choices), this should be a great matchup to begin Big Mouth Conference play for both teams.

# 22 Louisville vs. Morgan State = And if this one lasts more than a half, I'd be shocked.

Penn State vs. Indiana = Neither of these squads will compete for the national championship, or even their conference one, but they are fairly evenly matched and should give us a decent game.

Missouri vs. Northern Illinois = However, this one should be double-digits for the Tigers by the horn.

UAB vs. George Washington = The Blazers have a better team, and ought to build a lead as the game progresses. Yet we could get a half or more of action before then.

There will also be a couple of early games on Tuesday, before I get in here:

Purdue vs. Michigan = The Boilermakers have not been great, especially on the offensive end, while the Wolverines have played better than anyone expected. This one just might be pretty close.

N.C. State vs. Alabama A&M = But if this one is, that means Sidney Lowe has still not gotten the attention of his young Wolfpack talent, and he just might be advised to start looking for a new job now.

Back sometime tomorrow afternoon, unless one of you poses a query or objection. Until then . . . enjoy.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:09 PM 12-28-2010
Out of the limited number of games last night, only a few scores struck me:

Pitt 78 - U. Conn. 63 = Going into this, I thought it was a toss-up, yet it seems the only thing tossed up was the Huskies' lunch. The victory by the Panthers does not surprise me, but the size of the margin does a bit. Guess this is a reality check in Storrs.

Penn. State 69 - Indiana 60 = As I expected, a pretty close game.

Portland 66 - Nevada 62 = Here's one I did not preview, and for damn good reason: I didn't think the Wolf Pack had a shot in hell at giving the Pilots any sort of game at all. Portland came in with a 10-3 record, with Nevada at a sickly 3-9. They are now 3-10, but can consider this a moral victory, if such a thing exists.

In today's action, Purdue has already crushed Michigan 80-57, and at last check N.C. State was doing much the same to Alabama A&M. Other games of some importance, or at least interest, include:

# 5 Syracuse vs. Providence = The Orange should prevail, even by double-digits, but the Friars ain't all that bad themselves, so should give us a fairly good one here.

# 11 Kentucky vs. Coppin State = And if this one's still a game at the half, I'll be surprised.

# 14 Minnesota vs. Wisconsin = As one would normally expect of these two, here shall be a war. There will be blood in the lane before it's over.

Cincinnati vs. DePaul = The Bearcats are better, and will probably win by a bunch. Yet the Blue Demons can be dangerous, and 4 of their 6 losses were by anywhere from 7 to 2 stinkin' points.

Xavier vs. Albany = The Musketeers don't seem to be as good as they have been in the past, while the Great Danes may be a little better. However, a little better will likely be a little too little. Pick the X-Men to open it up in the 2nd half.

South Florida vs. Seton Hall = Both the Bulls and the Pirates are about .500 teams, and with Big Mouth play just starting they won't remain that "good" for long. This might mean we'd expect a close one, and it may well be. But Seton Hall has had so much crap hit them in the last year (the latest being having their star senior shot!) they may be in shock, and won't show up at all. Don't be surprised if this becomes a laffer.

Florida vs. Fairfield = The Gators should be on an entirely different level than are the Stags, and they may be planning on a walk-over here. It could happen. Yet Fairfield, after losing three inna row to "better" competition (Rutgers, Penn State, St. Joe's), they have run off 7 Ws. They will lose, but they might just give Billy Donovan some anxious moments.

Valparaiso vs. Ball State = The Valpo Crusaders are OK, and the Ball State Lettermen . . . uh, Cardinals . . . aren't terrible. This one could be fun.

North Carolina vs. Rutgers = I am assuming that the Tar Heels managed to get into Newark Liberty International Snowbank to make this game at The Garden. If so, then I also hope that, aside from getting there, they also show up. They have more talent than does the Scarlet Knights, and have even begun to play a bit better. But Rutgers hasn't played badly themselves, losing only to Princeton and St. Joe's so far, while beating decent teams like Fairfield, Miami, and St. Peter's. If both teams play to their potential, the Heels will win big. If only one plays up to snuff, Roy better hope it is his kids.

Sam Houston State vs. Air Force = To be honest, I don't know a damn thing about either team. But their records are similar, so I hope they can give us some sort of action.

Oh, and at the half, it was NCSU 42-'Bama A&M 20. But 'Bama's scored the first point of the second, so it ain't over yet! :-)

Back tomorrow, so until then . . . enjoy.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:37 PM 12-29-2010
If my boss ever gets the fark out of here, I'll get to the update and preview. If not, then I'll certainly have a chance tomorrow . . . I'm gonna be here about 10 straight hours, alone.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:55 AM 12-30-2010
Since the boss kept hangin' about last evening, tying up the phones and generally making a nuisance of himself, I had no chance to do this then. So now lemme put on a full-court press and play a little catch-up.

Games of note Tuesday 12/28:

Wisconsin 68 - Minnesota 60 = I begin with what most consider an upset. I'm not one of them, for as I predicted, this one turned out to be a war. It's a great win for the Badgers, and not that bad a loss for the Gophers, disappointing as it may be.

Syracuse 81 - Providence 74 = And though the Orange did not quite hit that double-digit margin I predicted, they did get the W over what I knew would be a tough Friar team.

Purdue 80 - Michigan 57 = And yes, I know I already gave this final, but there's one interesting point I missed. This was but a 4-point lead for the Boilermakers at the half, then they scored 50 in the second to blow away the Wolverines. So you see, Purdue CAN score, on occasion anyway.

N.C. Asheville 85 - Western Carolina 79 (OT) = I did not preview this one, but this Battle of the Smokies deserves to be noted.

St. Bonaventure 82 - Siena 79 = Nor did I pick this one, yet it too turned into a real snowball fight.

UNC 78 - Rutgers 55 = And I'm not so much citing this rout in MSG because I'm a Heel, but rather to mention an interesting factoid: Carolina and Rutgers (which, despite the deceiving name, IS the University of New Jersey, believe it or not) have met on the court 13 times. The first game was back in 1921, and Rutgers took the victory (I have no idea of the score, but knowing what I do of basketball of the past, it was likely something like 11-8 :-) ). Since then, the Scarlet Knights have lost to the Tar Heels each and every time. So it's not quite a century of futility, but it is getting close.

On Wednesday 12/29:

Duke 108 - N.C. Greensboro 62 = I kick off last night's action with this one not because the game was good, or in any way unexpected. The UNC-G Spartans didn't have a snowball's chance against the Blue Devils . . . well, maybe if Durham had gotten socked with 2 feet of snow so their bus couldn't have made it over to Greensboro they might have gotten a forfeit . . . as they have yet to win a game all year, no matter how good or bad the competition, and fell to 0-12. But I would be remiss if I did not congratulate Coach K on his 880th win, which puts him one above Dean Smith for sole possession of second in all-time victories behind his mentor, Bobby Knight (with, if I'm not mistaken, has 902). Coach K deserves all the accolades for passing his arch rival . . . and, if he had the same amount of class Coach Smith did, he would now retire, in the same way Dean did once he got one more win then Adolph Rupp. :-)

Notre Dame 69 - Georgetown 55 = And though this can't be considered a huge upset, as the Irish have played well all season, and the Hoyas have been shaky at times, the win is a very good one, and the margin is a bit of a shock. But it is not the only one like this . . .

Tennessee 68 - Tenn. Martin 62 = Are you freakin' kidding me? The Vols were hot as a pistol, but have fallen apart. OK, they got the W. Big deal. The Skyhawks have only won 4 games so far this year, and only two were against D-1 squads. Their previous game was a loss to Ohio State . . . by 60 points, or 10X the margin here. Please.

Illinois 87 - Iowa 77 = And this one for the Illini ain't a whole lot better. OK, these Hawks are better than those above, but not by all that much. Iowa is now 7-6, and their only "quality" win was against a meh Alabama team.

Washington 73 - USC 67 (OT) = And this one for the Huskies is a good amount worse. They are supposed to be the class of the Pac-10, whereas the Trojans are about a .500 team at best. I don't care that the game was in LA . . . to go to OT here is pitiful.

Vanderbilt 77 - Marquette 76 = OK, so this one's not so bad. The Commodores are pretty good , but not commanding, and the Golden Eagles ain't half-bad themselves. Their 3 previous losses were to Dook, Gonzaga, and Wisconsin, so there's no shame there.

Auburn 88 - Georgia Southern 84 (OT) = Not a very good win for the Tigers, but considering how bad they are I guess it's better than another loss.

Quinnipiaac 82 - Boston U. 81 = In case you haven't been noticing, the Q. Bobcats have been having a nice year so far. This close victory moves them to 9-2, with their only losses coming to decent team, Vermont and U. Mass.

Dayton 73 - George Mason 67 = And the Flyers have made a little noise too. This is another good win for them. The Patriots are not what they were some years back, but they had won 7 in a row before this loss.

New Hampshire 68 - Cornell 66 = To be honest, I don't know if this is an OK win, or a bad one, for the NH Wildcats. On the one hand, they pretty much stink. On the other, the Big Red totally sucks, as this was their 8th loss in a row. But on the third hand, 6 of those 8 Ls were by 5 points or less. So I am completely befuddled. Yeah, I know: "What else is new?"

Towson 93 - LaSalle 90 (OT) = And this just adds to my confusion. The LaSalle Explorers may be a .500 team, but they have played fairly well at times, and only lost to Villanova by 3 back on the 12th. Meanwhile, the Tigers have been lousy, coming into the game at 3-7. This should not have gone to OT, and LaSalle should not have lost. But it did, and they did, and I don't get it.

St. Mary's 94 - Mississippi State 72 = But this one, I do get. The Gaels are pretty danged good, and may have had the edge even before the Bulldogs became a doughnut team by suspending their two best bigs for fighting in the stands out in Hawaii. Lends a whole new meaning to "Dawg Pound", doesn't it?

Rhode Island 67 - Boston College 65 = The BC Eagles were on a roll, and had even started to gain some national attention. But the Rams told them where they could shove that with this victory. Here was an excellent game from two good teams, either of which could have, or even should have, won.

Delaware 54 - Santa Clara 53 = And though the Blue Hens and the Broncos are both .500 teams, they were well-matched, as the final indicates.

New Mexico 61 - Texas Tech 60 = But now I'm back in the puzzlement again. The Lobos have been playing well, and the Red Raiders have not been playing worth a squat. This should not have been a 1-point game, even in Lubbock.

UCLA 80 - Washington State 71 = And though this should perhaps confuse me too, it really doesn't. The Pac-10 is still a mess, and although the Bruins are not back, and though this was just the Cougars 3rd loss all season, nothing out of the Left Coast surprises me all that much these days. Just chalk it up as a nice win for UCLA, and move on.

St. John's 81 - West Virginia 71 = And even though the Johnnies are even further away from being back than are the aforementioned Bruins, and from a greater distance (time-wise, I mean), this is an even better win for the Red Storm, over what has recently been one of the better teams in the Big Mouth Conference. And and even even though though the Mountaineers may not be nearly as good this year, they still are not garbage, so give St. John's some credit, and some hope they won't be scraping the bottom of the barrel in the East again.

I'll check out the upcoming action and give my preview later in the day. See you then.
[Reply]
BigAsh 12:32 PM 12-30-2010
Big game tonite is Big Five matchup between Temple and Nova, at Nova....Hoot Hoot!! Go Owls!!
[Reply]
The Poet 02:34 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
Big game tonite is Big Five matchup between Temple and Nova, at Nova....Hoot Hoot!! Go Owls!!
Yes indeed, Keith, this should be a good one, and maybe even the best one of the night. Me, I'd have to give the Wildcats a slight edge over your Owls, as I think both their personnel and their coach is a bit better. But as you well know, any Big 5 matchup can be a total war.

Some other action has already concluded today. Charlotte edged Mercer 64-63, and Virginia Tech had more trouble with South Carolina Upstate than it probably should have, only pushing it out late for a 64-53 win. And at last check, with 5 minutes to go, Belmont was up over Miami OH by 7. To follow we will have these:

# 10 Missouri vs. ODU = I can see this one being really close, and it may depend on who can execute in the last few minutes.

# 16 BYU vs. Buffalo = However, this one should not be close at all. I don't have great faith in BYU, but I have none at all for Buffalo.

# 19 UCF vs. Princeton = Seems to me the Tigers have been playing better, and they certainly have faced enough quality opposition to be ready for this game. As for UCF, I am interested to see if that OTHER MJ, Marcus Jordan, can continue to do his daddy proud. Might be a decent contest.

# 21 Memphis vs. Lipscomb = And this might be more decent than you might think. The Tigers have repeatedly shown their youth, and Lipscomb may not have the name, but they are no easy out either.

VCU vs. New Hampshire = While I want to think VCU should own this one, I just have this feeling NH will hang real tough.

Iowa State vs. Virginia = And though neither of these two are the class of their respective conferences, they are both at least decent, and are fairly evenly matched. Should be fun.

Arizona vs. Oregon = I realize the desert Wildcats are not totally back, but I also realize the Ducks suck. This could get real ugly, real early.

Arizona State vs. Oregon State = But here we have two closer squads, so we could have some entertainment before it's over.

I could pick many others, yet as they are in the "who cares?" category (South Dakota State vs. Mo. KC? Wisc. GB vs. Detroit?) I'll just leave you with . . . enjoy.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:50 PM 12-31-2010
I've got much too much to cover, and much too little time, so . . .

Last night:

BYU 90 - Buffalo 82 = Maybe this tells you why I've been saying all along I have little faith in the Cougars.

UCF 68 - Princeton 62 = I knew the Tigers would keep this close.

Villanova 78 - Temple 74 = And as I told Keith, I'd give 'Nova the slight edge.

I could give a dozen more, but there's no time. So . . .

Today already, Purdue stomped Northwestern 82-69, Kentucky beat Louisville 78-63, and that Charleston team I keep telling you is no damn cupcake crushed Tennessee 91-78. In progress are many others, including St. Joe's/Siena, UCLA/Wash., and Minn./Mich. State. Maybe I can get back with finals. Others good ones are:

Florida vs. Xavier

Texas A&M vs. McNeese State

U. Conn vs. South Florida

Ohio State vs. Indiana

On New Year's Day:

West Virginia vs. Marquette

Georgetown vs. DePaul

Valparaiso vs. Butler

New Mexico vs. Dayton

Syracuse vs. Notre Dame

Boston College vs. South Carolina

St. John's vs. Providence

On Sunday 1/2/11:

Villanova vs. Rutgers

Gonzaga vs. Wake Forest

Memphis vs. Tennessee State

UNC vs. St. Francis PA

Penn State vs. Michigan

Marshall vs. St. Bonaventure

Vanderbilt vs. Davidson

LSU vs. Virginia

Illinois vs. Wisconsin

Charlotte vs. Georgia Tech

Kansas vs. Miami OH

Duke vs. Miami FL

California vs. Stanford

I'd love to give my usual commentaries on these, but hey . . . you try working in a liquor store on New Year's Eve, and when the MegaMillions jackpot is about $250M. Sheesh, will these people stop handing me money and just go the fark home?

Enjoy your games, and have a great New Year's. If not sooner, I'll be back Monday.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:04 PM 01-03-2011
Were I to comment on every close game that ended one year and began another, I'd tire and bore myself much more than you. So, skipping all the blowouts and the who-gives-a-fark contests, I can trim this down to a manageable number of meaningful scores.

To finish up for Friday 12/31:

Michigan State 71 - Minnesota 62 = A good win for the Spartans, who lost their mojo for a time, and may be getting some back.

U. Conn 66 - South Florida 61 (OT) = OK, the Bulls are not total crap, but they are nearly that. They had lost 5 of their previous 6 coming into Hartford for this one, whereas the Huskies had moved from pre-season nobodies up to # 4 in the polls. So tell me . . . is this how a supposedly top team performs in what is essentially a home game against a sub. 500 opponent? U. Conn is seriously over-rated, and is due for a equally serious comeuppance.

On Sat. 1/1/11:

Dayton 76 - New Mexico 73 (2OT) = Had I had had the time last Friday, I would have told you to catch this one. The only bad thing about this game was the relatively poor shooting by both teams, and thus the low score for a double-OT game. Collectively, they were 49-128 from the field, and together gathered 92 rebounds . . . nearly twice as many as shots made.

St. John's 67 - Providence 65 = You may recall last year, when the Red Storm (god, I hate that name!) got off to a very good start, only to come down to earth again. Well, the Johnnies are at it again, and this win coupled with their previous one over WVU gives them a boost to begin conference play. Hey, at 2-0 they are ahead of U. Conn, Georgetown, and Notre Dame . . . all ranked squads.

Arizona State 60 - Oregon 55 = This marks the Ducks 4th L in succession. I told you the Ducks suck, didn't I Bryan? :-) And speaking of Bryan . . .

On Sunday 1/2:

Duke 74 - Miami 63 = I guess this is a good enough win for the Blue Devils. Yes, Dook is the unanimous # 1 in both major polls, yes it was in Cameron, and yes the Hurricanes are not total garbage, though they have yet to beat any team this year that is, has been, or is likely to be ranked. But it is the ACC, so I reckon a measly 11-point victory is reason enough to be, if not happy, at least content.

Memphis 91 - Tennessee State 86 = However, if anybody in yodeling distance of Graceland is happy with this poor-ass showing by the Tigers, they oughta be horse-whipped. To edge Tenn. State like this, what with their 6-8 record, and only "boasting" 4 D-1 wins . . . in your own house? Whatta loadda crap.

Illinois 69 - Wisconsin 61 = Much like the Duke win, I guess this is fine for the Illini, and even a bit better. They are not supposed to be as good as Dook, while the Badgers are better than is Miami. And, as with the ACC, wins in the Big 10 ain't that easy to come by, so you take what you can get.

Michigan 76 - Penn State 69 = Like this.

Oregon State 76 - Arizona 75 = For those of you desert Wildcat fans who thought your team was back, this does not of necessity mean otherwise. Yet when you consider that the Beavers will struggle to remain a .500 squad, it does not bode well either.

Charlotte 86 - Georgia Tech 83 (2OT) = In the long run, it is unlikely this game will mean much to either team, as neither seem likely to make much noise this season. But it was one hell of a fight, and they both deserve some props for the entertainment value alone.

Bucknell 62 - Richmond 61 = Here's one that catches me by surprise. The Spiders have played very well, and the Bison have been . . . well, the Bison. Hey, I guess that's why they play the games, right?

There are a number of games tonight, but only a few offer the reasonable expectation of being any damned good:

Kentucky vs. Pennsylvania = This ain't one of them. The Wildcats will probably win by a higher number than they can count. But that's no problem, as the Quakers can always give them the derivative in base 8.

Kansas State vs. Savannah State = And this won't be one either. These Wildcats might even win by a greater margin.

Texas A&M vs. Nicholls State = And though this may be a bit closer, it won't be close enough to be worth watching.

Georgetown vs. St. John's = OK, now here we could have about 3/4ths a game here. I'd expect the Hoyas to prevail in the end, but I don't expect the new and improved Johnnies to fold up like a cheap tent.

Michigan State vs. Northwestern = The Spartans are trying to regain their poise, and need to win big to maintain some forward momentum. Yet, although this particular pride of Wildcats are not what those noted above are, they are not total pushovers either. Could be fairly close, for a half or so anyway.

Rhode Island vs. Florida = And this one could actually be one damn nice one, start to finish. The Gators are up-and-down, and the Rams are pretty decent most nights. It could go either way.

Jacksonville vs. Campbell = And this one will actually be one damn nice one, you can count on it. The Dolphins might be slightly better, but it is in the Fighting Camels' oasis, so plan on it going down to the wire.

That's it for now. Enjoy.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:05 PM 01-04-2011
I found several interesting results from last night's action, the most notable being:

St. John's 61 - Georgetown 58 = Although I figured the Johnnies could give the Hoyas game, I would never have had the chutzpah to predict they would win. And although I rarely ever mention the much-maligned RPI rankings, I do strongly suspect that this loss will drop Georgetown from its # 1 rating there, a position they have held without sufficient justification for a week or more now. Otherwise, I shall only say that the Hoyas seem to have fallen back into their age-old habit, that of being a very good defensive team, and a totally average offensive one.

Michigan State 65 - Northwestern 62 = And I find this one nearly as interesting, since the Spartans really should have won by much more than a single possession. So, for all you critics giving Roy Williams such a hard time, why don't you save a few bolts for Tom Izzo, hunh?

Auburn 65 - Florida State 60 = Here again, there seems no good reason for this loss by the Semiholes. Prior to this one, they had only dropped games to quality opponents like Florida, Ohio State, and Butler, while beating a good Baylor squad along the way. As for Auburn, they pretty much have stunk up the gym all year long, and not in a good way. This one had to hurt. But, speaking of Butler . . .

Wisc. Milwaukee 76 - Butler 52 = Wow. Hey, I started out saying to begin this thread that Butler would not be nearly as good nor as successful as last year's group, yet of late they have been playing better. Well, their 6-game winning streak has ended, with a big boom. I'm not saying W-M sucks, but when a team loses by 24 points, it stings.

Texas A&M 66 - Nicholls State 55 = And any time a team which supposedly deserves a national ranking beats a bunch like Nicholls State by a mere 11 points, it should sting a little too. We've seen worse wins this season, but not by a lot.

Jacksonville 67 - Campbell 65 = I told you this would be one damn nice game that would go down to the end. See, I'm not a complete idiot.

There are quite a few games this evening, but many of them pit one 2-10 team against another, so although they may thus be close ones, who actually gives a flying fark? However, there are a handful of pretty good ones, or at least ones with the potential to be pretty good:

Ohio State vs. Iowa = The Buckeyes are much better than the Hawkeyes, yet keep your Owneyes on this one. As with any conference matchup, it just might turn into a fight before it's over . . . and in the Big Ten, that could be taken literally.

Pitt vs. Providence = And it's pretty much the same story here. Put your money on the Panthers, but don't be shocked if the Friars cover the spread (and no, I have no idea what that spread is, but it really doesn't matter).

Texas vs. Arkansas = The hits just keep on comin'. Once more, the Longhorns have the beef, but the Razorbacks have the nasty attitude. Expect a fairly close one.

U. Conn vs. Notre Dame = And though this is less a David/Goliath situation than those above, being more of a heavyweight bout, this one could go a long way towards telling us which of these 2 Big Mouth teams are for real . . . if either actually are.

Indiana vs. Minnesota = Back to the Big Ten, and another shot at a bloody battle. The Gophers have the better personnel, but the Hoosiers are playing a bit better than they have in years, so they could make a decent game of it, for at least a half or more.

West Virginia vs. DePaul = Here again, we have two well-matched opponents, with WVA being the slight favorite (in my eyes, anyway). Yet the Blue Demons have played OK from time to time, and since both teams are now 0-2 in conference play, you know both want the victory. If nothing else, the intensity should be there all game long.

Missouri State vs. Creighton = And here we might have, with the exception of the Huskies/Irish game (or some of those 2-10 opponents previously mentioned, then ignored), the most even matchup of the evening. A last-second shot, or even OT, might just decide this one.

That's what got my attention for tonight, but if you have any candidates to nominate, feel not merely free, but encouraged. Regardless . . . enjoy.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:29 PM 01-05-2011
As I suspected there would be, many of those "2-10" team matchups last night were as tight as one would expect. But who really cares? So, as for those games about which some may actually care:

Notre Dame 73 - U. Conn 70 = Though no one can really consider this an upset, it was definitely a good win for the Irish. The single-possession victory may be a factor of the home court advantage, however, so don't real all that much into it. Both teams have shown that they are better than decent, although both might be a bit over-rated at this point . . . which still remains to be seen.

Ohio State 73 - Iowa 68 = And this is definitely a "bad" win for the Buckeyes. Yeah, I know I flat-out told you this one just might turn into a real battle, which it certainly did. But still, for the supposedly # 2 team in the country to win by 2 possessions over a .500 squad, that ain't so hot.

Pitt 83 - Providence 79 = I still have no idea what the spread was in this game, but I still expect the 4-point margin did cover it. I just had a feeling the Friars would hang tough, partly because they are a fairly decent team, partly because I don't think Pitt's as good as people say.

Minnesota 67 - Indiana 63 = And I found this interesting not so much for the Gopher win as for the fact that, yes indeed, the Hoosiers hung real tough.

West Virginia 67 - DePaul 65 = Like I predicted, this one stayed intense from tip to horn. WVA built a 3-point lead at the half, and held on to 2/3rds of it for the W.

Tonight has an OK selection of games for you to choose from, including:

Duke vs. UAB = First off, Dook is going to lose one of these nights. However, though this may stay close for a while, I don't think that will happen this evening. Secondly, Dook will. or so I understand, actually play a game or two outside of the friendly confines of Cameron Indoor Stydium before this season is over. However again, that will not happen tonight. Talk about your home cooking! Hey, you think I'm kidding? Aside from that one early season tourney they were in, the Blue Devils have visited only the Ducks so far this year. Well, they DID go to Greensboro to stomp the 0-11 UNC-G squad, but please . . . do you really consider that an "away" game for them. Gimme a break.

Kansas vs. Mo. KC = I shortened the name of the Jayhawks opponent, to match how short this game will be. Hell, it ain't even tipped yet, and it's over already.

Purdue vs. Penn State = Now, this one could be quite a bit closer, but if the Boilermakers can actually make a few shots they will prevail by double-digits before it's done.

UCF vs. Marshall = Really? The UCF Knights are 13-0, and ranked # 19? OK, good for them. Tonight they kick off their conference schedule against an experienced Thundering Herd, so don't be shocked if both of those facts come to a screeching halt.

San Diego State vs. TCU = And this will begin conference play for the 6th-ranked (6th? Are you kiddin' me?) Aztecs also. Although this one's deep in the heart of Texas, I don't expect TCU will end the magic for SDSU . . . yet. But stranger things have happened, especially in conference play, so keep your ears on.

Memphis vs. Tennessee = The Tigers have not played all that well, and have managed to dodge a few slugs to remain amongst the ranked. Meanwhile, the Vols have folded up like a cheap suit (by which I mean clothing, and not a tort or criminal proceeding). Yet I don't think they are as bad as they have played lately, so don't be surprised if they
actually manage to get their act back together, focus, and give their non-conference in-state rival one hell of a fight.

BYU vs. UNLV = As with many other games, this alphabet soup of a matchup kicks off the Mountain West action for these two, who seem to be the only legitimate challenge to the aforementioned Aztecs. I think this should be too close to call.

Charlotte vs. Richmond = The 49ers started off all over the map, going up and down like a teeter-totter team. But of late, they have played much better. The Spiders have been much more consistent, yet are coming off an embarrassing loss to Bucknell. This one should be a lot of fun, start to finish.

Louisville vs. Seton Hall = And this one should be fun too, until about midway through the 2nd. Then the Cardinals will pull away, and leave the Pirates out to sea.

George Mason vs. Hofstra = Two decent teams, one decent game, and one decent run by one or the other will decide it.

Marquette vs. Rutgers = Though this may be a bit closer than the L'ville/SHU game, I'd expect the Golden Eagles to poop on the Scarlet Knights before it's done . . . at least, if they learned anything from watching the Tar Heels defend the paint against them. Rutgers can't hit from outside to save their lives, even if left open.

Mississippi vs. SMU = To be honest, I have no idea what to expect here. Both the Mustangs and the Rebels have pretty good records. However, neither team has really played much of anybody so far. This one could be good, or could stink on ice, either direction.

Tulane vs. Rice = And, with the exception of Rice's close losses at Texas and Miami, much the same could be said here too.

Missouri vs. Northern Alabama = But not here. This is another one you can pencil in now.

Michigan vs. Wisconsin = But not here. Although neither one threatens to become a national contender, you can always expect the fur to fly when you toss a Wolverine in with a Badger.

That's whats I gots today. Enjoy.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:26 PM 01-06-2011
There were very few surprises, and no big shocks, in last night's action, so I will limit myself to only a few scores which, for one or another reason, struck me:

Tennessee 104 - Memphis 84 = A Volunteer victory is no surprise, as they are a better team than their recent play has indicated. A Tiger loss is also no surprise, as this young team has had many "growth" problems this season, and should probably consider themselves lucky that this was just their 3rd loss so far, since they posted several narrow wins. However, the margin of victory far exceeded my expectations.

ODU 49 - Northeastern 34 = And the total amount of scoring here is absolutely atrocious. Look at it this way: Had these two collectively been playing that Memphis team above, they together would still have lost by a point.

Harvard 78 - Boston College 69 = The Crimson have not been receiving nearly the amount of press they did last year, when experts thought they'd make the NCAAs for the first time in . . . what, decades? On the other hand, the Eagles have been getting good reviews, with some going so far as to say that, though they were unlikely to challenge Duke in the ACC, they might just challenge all others. That may still be the case, but this Beantown defeat lends little evidence to that. Yet there are other factors to consider too. First, this makes the third straight meeting where Harvard has "upset" BC. And second, BC's new coach is Steve Donahue, late of Cornell, who was the Ivy opponent that had Harvard's number under his tenure there . . . so the revenge element was undoubtedly sweet.

Tonight's slate of games include:

Villanova vs. South Florida = I would not expect 'Nova will be pushed in this one, though it may remain close for a time.

Illinois vs. Northwestern = And pretty much the same story here. It may not be a blowout, but it should be comfortable late in the game for the Illini.

Cincinnati vs. Xavier = The Bearcats come into this at 14-0, but they have not faced much quality opposition yet. The X-men do not seem to have as good a team as some in their past, but they aren't patsies either. This might actually turn into a fairly decent contest.

Charleston vs. Furman = And here too, we have teams that both can play a little. This could go down to the last few possessions.

Washington vs. Oregon = I have yet to see any indication that Washington is really all that good. I have seen a fair amount of evidence that the Ducks suck. I don't think this one will stay in single digits for long.

Washington State vs. Oregon State = But this Northwest Passage matchup could be an entirely different matter. WSU may be 10-4 overall, as opposed to OSU's 7-6, but in conference play they are respectively 0-2 versus 2-0. The Cougars need a conference victory badly, but the Beavers need a win of any sort to remain above .500. If nothing else, the intensity should be there.

California vs. Arizona = The desert Wildcats have played better than the experts predicted they would, but are coming off a disappointing loss to those aforementioned Beavers. The Golden Bears started off quite well with some early wins, most notably to then # 21 Temple, but have been up-and-down since, yoyoing between Ls and Ws. So give the edge to 'Zona, as we can't depend upon the good Bear squad showing up, as opposed to the bad one.

That's my picks for tonight. Enjoy.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:18 AM 01-07-2011
For what it's worth, here's the scores that jumped out at me from last night:

Villanova 83 - South Florida 71 = As I thought, the Wildcats were not hard-pressed. Yet, as I thought, the Bulls weren't bullied either. All in all, just about what you'd expect.

Charleston 76 - Furman 72 = Again, I felt this would be a good one, and it certainly was.

Arizona 73 - California 71 = Though I cannot say I'm at all surprised at the closeness of this final, I will confess I really have little idea what it truly means, if anything. It is a good win for the Wildcats, but not by any means a dominant performance against the Golden Bears . . . who sometimes play well, and sometimes play like crap.

Boise State 102 - San Jose State 101 (4OT) = That's right, 4OT. So this game turned into a game-and-a-half, and nearly went further than that. Two other interesting notes here. This was the first time the SJS Spartans have scored 100 points since 1979, or a span of 914 games. And, this was the first time the BS Broncos have played an overtime game . . . ever.

There's not one hell of a lot happening tonight, not even the normally-expected Ivy action we're accustomed to seeing on Fridays. In fact, I found only two which jazzed me even a teeny bit:

Cleveland State vs. Butler = The Bulldogs have the name and rep, but the Vikings have the record, at 15-1 overall and 4-0 conference. True, Butler has played a slightly better schedule, but CS hasn't exactly been dogging it either, what with wins over decent teams like South Florida, St. Bonnie's, Wisc. Milwaukee (who beat Butler Monday by 24), and Iona. Speaking of the Gaels . . .

Iona vs. St. Peter's = . . . although neither they nor the Peacocks are world-beaters, they are both at least OK, and are fairly well matched. This one could be some fun.

Now Saturday will be an entirely different matter altogether, with altogether too many games to choose from. I'll get a jump on it now by posting the contests which tip off early (meaning before 2 PM):

Syracuse vs. Seton Hall = Though this is a home game for the Pirates, I can't see any way in hell they can beat the Orange. That's not because I think Syracuse is as great as their record, but rather because the Hall is "meh" on their best nights.

Georgetown vs. West Virginia = And again, though the Hoyas have had their troubles at times, the Mountaineers are about 3/4th the team they've been in recent years. This should be closer than the one above, but unless the Hoyas' inability to score bites them in their big blue butts again, they should prevail.

Michigan State vs. Penn State = The Spartans have had a good season so far, but they were expected to have a great one. That could still happen, and they are likely to school the NotMuch'enly Lions in State College.

Kansas State vs. Oklahoma State = Now here, we just might have us a pretty decent game down in Stillwater. The "other Manhattan" Wildcats have the rep, but they haven't played much of anybody for over a month . . . and when they did (Florida & UNLV), they lost. The Cowboys have a good shot of making a run at them, believe it or not.

North Carolina vs. Virginia = The Tar Heels are still only hitting on about 5 of 8 cylinders, which should be enough to give them the edge in Charlottesville, especially in the paint. But the Cavs are actually decent so far this year, at 10-5 and with wins over Minnesota and Va. Tech, and their guards will hurt you if you don't guard them first. So, all in all, this one could be a toss-up.

Missouri vs. Colorado = Here too, you have to give the Tigers an edge, as they have played better than have the Buffaloes. But again, the Buffs have not been bad themselves, and this game is in Boulder, so the altitude might give the lowlanders some problems before it's all said and done. Keep an eye on the second half, to see if it becomes a factor.

Tennessee vs. Arkansas = The Vols posted a big, and badly needed, win over Memphis Wednesday, but it is not a given that they have righted their ship. As for the 'Backs, they have a good record, but have lost their games against "quality" opponents, and were embarrassed by the Longhorns in their last contest, losing by 33. This one is hard to call because A) We don't know which UT team will show up down in Fayetteville, and B) We don't know what the Razorbacks are, period.

Austin Peay vs. Murray State = And here we have one of those classic mid-major matchups that could, before all is said and done, actually become the best game of the day. Flip a coin on this one.

If I don't make it back here later today, I'll chat on you tomorrow afternoon. Until then then . . . enjoy.
[Reply]
jcruse64 06:05 PM 01-07-2011
Should be at the Austin Peay/Murray State game tomorrow; hope we win!

I see that the NCAA has rejected for the last time the bid for Enes to play for Calipari in Lexington. I didn't expect there to be any change there.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:56 AM 01-08-2011
Originally Posted by jcruse64:
Should be at the Austin Peay/Murray State game tomorrow; hope we win!

I see that the NCAA has rejected for the last time the bid for Enes to play for Calipari in Lexington. I didn't expect there to be any change there.

Well, that action is already underway, and like all the other early games, it is precisely the war one would expect. Nobody, nowhere, has yet to gain any meaningful edge over their opponent, including that AP/MSU contest.

And yes, I also saw the NCAA has rejected UK's additional appeal regarding the statue of Enes Kanter. So now those "Free Enes' pleas have truly been appeased, as he is now free to sit in the stands and await the NBA Draft. As wise men have noted, be careful what you wish for.

Last night neither of those games I picked to have potential became thus, as both Butler and Iona dominated their respective opponents. But two other games were actually pretty exciting:

Canisius 62 - Siena 61 = Though these two schools have both had better teams, and better records in past years, they did give us some fun here.

Creighton 72 - Southern Illinois 66 (OT) = And you could say the precise same thing here.

While we await some resolution in the early games, let me select some that will follow later today. And I use the term "select some" judiciously, because there are so many good possibilities I could not cite them all . . . thus the length of my "short list", to whit:

Pitt vs. Marquette = Though one would be smart to pick Pitt, don't expect Marquette to get spanked. In fact, they even have a shot at winning this one. Don't bet on it, but don't bet the farm on the Panthers either.

SMU vs. Tulane = And though this one won't be played on the same level, it has the potential to be a close contest.

George Mason vs. ODU = Ditto.

Baylor vs. Texas Tech = The Bears have shown some weaknesses lately, yet still should have enough to beat TT . . . maybe not by much, but a win's a win.

California vs. Arizona State = Even if this wasn't a conference game, it would be a toss-up. Neither team has dominant talent, but both are smart and well-coached.

Wake Forest vs. N.C. State = And even if this wasn't both a conference game and one between in-state rivals, the intensity would be there. The Deaks have enough pride to wish to avoid their predicted slot in the ACC basement, and the 'Pack is trying to take a step up in the world . . . and save Sidney Lowe's job. Expect a war, with State edging it out.

BYU vs. Air Force = I have said before I don't consider the Cougars to truly be amongst the country's elite. That being said . . . again . . . I don't think the Falcons have enough to stop them here.

Florida State vs. Virginia Tech = Here is another vital early conference game. Neither squad is likely to challenge Duke in the ACC, but both want to end the season with enough wins for a bid to the NCAAs.

U. Conn vs. Texas = This might be the marquee matchup of the day, and I can't tell you who to pick here. I'm leaning a bit towards the Longhorns, but they have the habit of collapsing under pressure in big games. On the other hand, the Huskies have had surprisingly great success so far, yet I feel they have over-achieved and may be approaching the limits of their good fortune. I guess this is why they actually play the games.

Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma = And I have a similar "U. Conn-ish" feeling about A&M, which is why I give the Sooners a chance of pulling off the upset here. Hey, it is in Norman.

Memphis vs. East Carolina = The Tigers were just humbled by the Vols, so should come into this one with renewed focus. But a young team sometimes goes in the other direction after a spanking, so give the Pirates a shot, albeit a slim one, of keeping this close for a while.

San Diego State vs. Utah = Though the Aztecs may be little better than contenders in several other leagues, they do seem to be the class of the Mountain West. So, whether they are Runnin' or not, the Utes ain't got more than a prayer here.

Alabama vs. Mississippi State = And again we have one of those key conference games between programs who are "also-rans" in their league. Both need every win they can garner, and we can expect they know that well enough to give us a good one here.

Georgia Tech vs. Boston College = Didn't I just tell you? Are you paying any attention at all? Why do I even bother?

Charlotte vs. St. Bonaventure = Must I keep repeating myself? Sheesh, wake up already!

Kentucky vs. Georgia = With or without Enes Kanter, UK has better talent than do the Bulldogs. But the 'Dawgs ain't dogs themselves, and they are totally capable of giving the Wildcats a game here. Could be a lot closer than Cal would like.

Vanderbilt vs. South Carolina = The Comms have a better team too, but the 'Cocks are always up. :-) Besides, they need the W more. I won't say that they will win down in Columbia, but I will say that, if they do, I won't consider it to be a big upset.

UCF vs. Houston = UCF is ranked # 19 in the AP poll, and # 13 in the decidedly odd RPI rating. That same RPI poll gives their Strength of Schedule rating at 107th. So, if they haven't played anybody, how can you expect me to predict how they will play? Hey, I'm not calling for the Cougars to knock off the Knights . . . I'm just saying this whole hype about Disney University is pretty Mickey Mouse.

Miami vs. Clemson = Hey, guess what? We're back to those important conference games again. And again, as neither team is all that much better, or worse, than the other, you can expect a close and hard-fought war.

LSU vs. Auburn = Ibid.

Washington vs. Oregon State = Ditto.

Stanford vs. Arizona = Op. cit.

Ole Miss vs. Florida = Etc.

Providence vs. Rutgers = USW

St. John's vs. Notre Dame = OK, slightly different, as the Irish are perceived as being the superior team. But the Red Storm has played pretty well so far, and might just have a few surprises for those leprechauns.

Iowa State vs. Nebraska = No surprises here, just another tight fight.

Portland vs. Gonzaga = Yep.

UNLV vs. TCU = Maybe a three-possession edge for the Casino Runs, but not much more.

Oregon vs. Washington State = And maybe that for the Cougars too, but more because the Ducks are merely waddling through their schedule.

I might pick a dozen or three more, but that should be enough. I'll be back later with some early results, and a preview of Sunday's action. Until then, enjoy.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:35 PM 01-08-2011
Well, Joe, that Austin Peay/Murray State game is finally over, and I'm sorry to say your Racers came up juuuust short, losing 66-64. The fell behind by 10 at the half, but made a game of it . . . as we both figured they would.

Some other early finals:

West Virginia 65 - Georgetown 59 = I told you that the Hoyas should prevail, if they could manage to shoot. They did shoot pretty well, at .500 from the field and better than .900 from the line. But they turned the ball over 18 times, as opposed to WVA's 13. That still doesn't fully explain this loss, yet I'm gonna grap aholt of any excuse. A great win for the Mountaineers, who really needed one.

North Carolina 62 - Virginia 56 = Unlike the Hoyas though, the Tar Heels shot like crap. With .370 from the field and a "meh" .700 from the stripe, they should consider themselves fortunate that some of those FTs came late to give them the narrow victory . . . since this one was a LOT closer than the 6-point edge indicates.

Syracuse 61 - Seton Hall 56 = The Orange keep rolling, but this one's not all that juicy. True, the Pirates have lost a few close ones to good squads, but in their prior two they were duly spanked by Cincy and Louisville. There is no good reason the supposedly # 4 team in the land should edge them like this, so I must class this as one of those "bad" wins for the 'Cuse.

I'm gonna do my lunch now, and come back with my Sunday picks. Later, dudes.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:08 PM 01-08-2011
Wow, it's starting to look like this is going to turn into one of those "Upset Weekends" we sometimes see in college hoops. Aside from that Georgetown loss, we already have:

Penn State 66 - Michigan State 62 = How in the high holy hell could the Spartans lose to Penn State? Whereas their previous four losses only dropped them from # 2 to # 18 (while my Tar Heels' four dropped them from # 8 to the point where they barely even get a handful of votes, period), this one should drop them out of the rankings altogether. I say "should", as so far none of the experts have seem to be all that concerned about the quality . . . or lack of . . . MSU's play.

Oklahoma State 76 - Kansas State 62 = And this one almost equates as a spanking, and over another team that's been ranked as high as (I believe) # 3. After this, the Manhattanites will be lucky to stay in the ranked at all.

Meanwhile, Colorado appears to have a safe lead over Missouri, and Arkansas a 6-point one over Tennessee with under 2 to play. If these hold up, that makes five upsets, and the weekend's barely started!

Speaking of the weekend, the notable games of Sunday include:

Villanova vs. Cincinnati = This one could go either way, so I don't feel this would be an upset no matter what happens, despite 'Nova's lofty rank.

Purdue vs. Iowa = And though I think the Boilermakers will win, I would not be shocked it the Hawkeyes take aim at them.

Louisville vs. South Florida = The Bulls have played a tough schedule, and it seems to be wearing on them. They have lost 5 in a row, and I expect that will soon become 6.

Ohio State vs. Minnesota = On the other hand, the Buckeyes have not tested themselves all that much. You doubt me? That's fine. But nota bene, that aforementioned RPI Strength Of Schedule puts them at 151st, which means nearly half the D-1 teams in the country have played a harder schedule than OSU. Not only will this game change that SOS, it might just be their first loss too. I would not bet on it, but stranger things have happened . . . today.

Cleveland State vs. Valparaiso = Though you BCS-type fans may not care much, this one should be tons of fun.

Illinois State vs. Southern Illinois = Here too.

Kansas vs. Michigan = The Jayhawks have played very well, though not unbeatable ball by any means. The Wolverines have had their moments, but far too few. I'd expect it to stay close for a time, but for KU to open it up in the 2nd.

Xavier vs. Rhode Island = Both these teams want some quality wins to earn at least a shot at an at-large bid, if they cannot take their conference. Plan on this one being tight.

Duke vs. Maryland = In Cameron, of course, as the Blue Devils apparently decided to begin their quest for a repeat by heavily front-loading their schedule with home games. This might bite them in their wide blue butts before the season's done, but for now you can figure they will handle the Terps on their own turf.

Indiana vs. Northwestern = And here's another of those "also-ran" conference games which is vital for both teams. Here it could go down to the last few shots.

Missouri State vs. Wichita State = These are 2 other pretty decent teams, and they will scrap for a victory.

UCLA vs. USC = And this Battle of Los Angeles is just one more of those numerous important conference games for two pretenders to the throne.

Meanwhile, as I was typing all that, those two other upsets went final:

Colorado 89 - Missouri 76 = A great win for the Buffaloes, and that's no bull.

Arkansas 68 - Tennessee 65 = The Vols made an effort to pull this one out of their butts late, but fell just shy. And despite the bipolar nature of UT's season, this is still a good win for the Razorbacks.

See you come Monday, and we'll see what other surprises occur. Until then . . . enjoy.
[Reply]
jcruse64 01:18 PM 01-09-2011
A few high seeds taking it in the shorts yesterday.

Murray State/Austin Peay game: Kennedy still showing he has difficulty with teams that zone his guys. They did a good job of coming back from 13 or 14 down, but seemed to let off the gas a bit. Then...The Call. MSU guy gets the ball going back with a Peay guy on him, and twists away. Ref whistles, then says nothing else. After a minute of confusion, it a full T/O. Refs stand around during T/O, then when MSU is just about to inbounds the ball, another whistle, and the refs are going to the sidelines to review something. 10 minutes later, the refs go to the scorer table and then to the TV color guys to ask their opinion on something. 5 minutes later, they call a flagrant foul on the kid who twisted away from his incoming defender. Replay showed no contact, but still a foul. And it took 15 minutes to figure this out after a T/O called for a no-foul whistle?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I've seen some weird, bad calls in college ball, but nothing ever like this one. Didn't cost MSU the game, but didn't help either. VERY weird sequence of events, and one of the most flagrant ref flubs I've ever seen.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:23 PM 01-10-2011
Originally Posted by jcruse64:
A few high seeds taking it in the shorts yesterday.

Then...The Call. . . . VERY weird sequence of events, and one of the most flagrant ref flubs I've ever seen.
Yes indeed they did, Joe. One of those odd weekends. And speaking of odd, I did not see that Call against your Racers, but if it transpired as you relate (and I have no reason whatsoever to doubt you), it was one total stupid clusterfark, and true dat.

Back with the Weekend Update ASAP.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 20
« First < 567 8917 > Last »
Up