Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 7 of 7
« First < 567
General Discussion>Did anyone order an iPad yet?
Psojka RP,601 10:26 AM 04-28-2010
They are a fun toy but thats all they are: a toy, not a tool.

my friend got one and its the wifi-only version. he loves it, but again, its a toy...

but when the wife's happy, everyone's happy :-)

good luck man
[Reply]
King James 11:57 AM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by Psojka RP,601:
They are a fun toy but thats all they are: a toy, not a tool.

my friend got one and its the wifi-only version. he loves it, but again, its a toy...
Yes, I often read PDFs, find recipes, get directions, read the news, answer emails, etc with all my toys. I guess by that logic a blackberry isn't a tool either.... heck you could even stretch it to say a netbook is mostly a toy.

I think you are understating its capabilities just a tad.
[Reply]
Sargeantroppe 12:07 PM 04-28-2010
It's a lot of fun to play with. The flight simulators and mini flash games are a blast. The touch screen keyboard is difficult to use, but you can always plug in a real keyboard. It is essentially a giant iPhone, but it can be used as a macbook. It has all the programs. I wouldn't go as far to say its a toy, but I wouldn't say its a tool either. It's a happy medium. I would much rather have a different tablet that supported Windows 7 and had a lot more flash memory. AT&T realllly needs to lower the monthly cost of their 3G services. It's a tad high considering how many people use it.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 12:09 PM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:
so the wife just dropped this on me. "I want an iPad for Mothers Day"

me:waste of money
her: its so i can read while Im on the treadmill at the gym
me: for $500 ill hire somebody to read to you while youre on the treadmill at the gym

What do you think guys? Scotty, I know you love yours, but is this thing really worth the $$? We just got a new laptop, and we have a netbook.
The iPad is a media and information consumption device, nothing more nothing less, and as such it's not really comparable to either a netbook or a laptop since those are computers. However, like others have said, if all she really wants is an eBook reader for the gym there are better and cheaper options that just aren't as flashy and "Apple-y". So the answer to cost benefit as an e-reader is no it's not worth the $$$. However when taken in the context of "a happy wife is a happy life", $500 is pretty cheap :-)
[Reply]
md4958 12:12 PM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Give Mama what she wants. I'm sure she thinks your cigars are a waste of money, but you still get them. Don't you?
ixnay on the igarsay there mean D! EVERY cigar box I own was bombed to me :-)

at least thats what I told her when I bought my first Tower Cabinet :-)
[Reply]
md4958 12:14 PM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
If her primary use is to read, I would look at e-readers (Kindle, Nook, Sony). Half the price and meets her needs. More compact, too.
:-)
she actually said either an iPad or nook. But the nook seems too much of a unitasker for me. At least the iPad, while double the money has some other functionality.

Gonna let her try out both, and see which one she likes better.
[Reply]
Darrell 12:20 PM 04-28-2010
ixnay on the igarsay there mean D! EVERY cigar box I own was bombed to me :-)

at least thats what I told her when I bought my first Tower Cabinet :-)
:-)
[Reply]
AD720 01:09 PM 04-28-2010
she actually said either an iPad or nook. But the nook seems too much of a unitasker for me. At least the iPad, while double the money has some other functionality.

Gonna let her try out both, and see which one she likes better.
Like Peter said, if she want's something solely for ebooks than an iPad is not the best option - beyond the price I could that glossy screen being pretty fatiguing on the eyes after a while.
[Reply]
pnoon 01:21 PM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by AD720:
Like Peter said, if she want's something solely for ebooks than an iPad is not the best option - beyond the price I could that glossy screen being pretty fatiguing on the eyes after a while.
The eReaders are extremely easy on the eyes and are much more easily read outdoors than a backlit computer screen.
[Reply]
Darrell 01:23 PM 04-28-2010
The eReaders are extremely easy on the eyes and are much more easily read outdoors than a backlit computer screen.
I have to agree with Peter, which hurts. :-)

However, have you seen the eReader application for the iPad? It's pretty nice.
[Reply]
0002S 06:04 PM 04-28-2010
I bought my second one and it comes tomorrow
[Reply]
shilala 10:22 AM 06-12-2010
Peter, if you get a chance to use an iPad for reading, I promise you'd be thrilled. I've tried the Sony and Kindle. There is no comparison.
I read on my iPad constantly because it is so pleasant.
The fact that it's backlit and the fonts can be changed to whatever I like and any size, it's so easy on my old eyeballs.
I wish I could spare mine for a minute so you could try it, but I'd be lost. :-)
[Reply]
Page 7 of 7
« First < 567
Up