Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 7 of 12
« First < 567 89 > Last »
Sports>We are for real this year!!!!
shilala 12:40 PM 12-29-2009
Originally Posted by DBall:
C'mon... seriously? Payton is prolly the strongest member on the team, but it takes more than one guy to stay undefeated for the lion's share of the season. It's not like the Jets are a great team (as this season shows), but they actually showed up yesterday... can't write the whole game off as luck or Missing Manning Syndrome.
Troy Polamalu.
/argument. :-)
Yes, Dan. One guy does a team make in lots of instances.
It's parity. Salary cap. It waters down the league and makes an even playing field.
It takes a lot of brains and a lot of luck to win on that field nowadays.
"Any Given Sunday" is alive and well.
In a sense, I love it. But I SO miss Kurt Warner's Rams and Joe Montana's 9er's and Terry Bradshaw's Steelers and John Riggin's Redskins (or Joe Theismann's, if you wanna argue).
Those clubs were so deep and so deadly.
Now, you sit Peyton down or Troy blows a knee and it's a struggle for a club. The Steelers are INCREDIBLY deep. The talent on that club is amazing. All a team has to do is come to town and exploit a lackluster secondary and an offensive coordinator who is too stupid to use his running game, and there ya have it.
Everybody really has to be on the same page all the time for a long season, and that's tough.

If there's two amazing stories in the NFL this year, it's Kurt Warner and Kurt Warner. There's the epitome of a one man show, if we take Peyton's club out of the mix.
[Reply]
DBall 08:52 PM 01-03-2010
The Jets are killing right now... their D is unstoppable!
[Reply]
coastietech 09:05 PM 01-03-2010
PLAYOFFS HERE WE COME!!!!

If we can play like this next week I have no doubts we'll make it to the next round... Our defense has been playing lights out and our run game is unstoppable!
[Reply]
Blueface 06:08 AM 01-04-2010
Great win indeed.
Big "if" they play this way next week.
Let's see if they can do it twice in a row.
[Reply]
elderboy02 07:41 AM 01-04-2010
Originally Posted by coastietech:
PLAYOFFS HERE WE COME!!!!

If we can play like this next week I have no doubts we'll make it to the next round... Our defense has been playing lights out and our run game is unstoppable!
That is a big IF. Remember, that Cedric Benson, and Domata Peko sat yesterday. I like the Bengals chances, however if NY comes out of the gates and scores quickly, we may be in trouble. Everyone knows the Jets can't pass, so if they score and can then run the ball all day, we might be in for a long day.
[Reply]
Blueface 07:46 AM 01-04-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Everyone knows the Jets can't pass, so if they score and can then run the ball all day, we might be in for a long day.
I don't know, that was a nice short pass to Cotchery for a TD yesterday.
[Reply]
coastietech 08:20 AM 01-04-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
That is a big IF. Remember, that Cedric Benson, and Domata Peko sat yesterday. I like the Bengals chances, however if NY comes out of the gates and scores quickly, we may be in trouble. Everyone knows the Jets can't pass, so if they score and can then run the ball all day, we might be in for a long day.
Cedric Benson won't make that much of a difference against the Jets defense. They have been playing lights out defense for the last 5 weeks. Ochocinco is a non-issue when Revis covers him.

Your defense can't stop our run game as witnessed yesterday and you say we can't pass yet you forget that Sanchez has racked up ~2500 passing yards this season.

The Bengals played to win yesterday and came up very short. I have a hard time believing that had Cedric Benson and Domata Peko played it wouldn't have been 30-0 at the end of the first. Call me crazy.

I have an eerie feeling that Sanchez will play better under the pressure of a playoff game. I honestly don't know why I feel that way, maybe because I've noticed he plays better when he's up against a defense that flushes him out of the pocket and makes him scramble.

Call me a homer if you want but I think our chances are better than New England, better than Baltimore, definitely better than Cinci....

Like I've said before even if we are 1 and done, its a sign of good things to come.
[Reply]
Blueface 08:49 AM 01-04-2010
Cedric Benson won't make that much of a difference against the Jets defense. They have been playing lights out defense for the last 5 weeks. Ochocinco is a non-issue when Revis covers him.

Your defense can't stop our run game as witnessed yesterday and you say we can't pass yet you forget that Sanchez has racked up ~2500 passing yards this season.

The Bengals played to win yesterday and came up very short. I have a hard time believing that had Cedric Benson and Domata Peko played it wouldn't have been 30-0 at the end of the first. Call me crazy.

I have an eerie feeling that Sanchez will play better under the pressure of a playoff game. I honestly don't know why I feel that way, maybe because I've noticed he plays better when he's up against a defense that flushes him out of the pocket and makes him scramble.

Call me a homer if you want but I think our chances are better than New England, better than Baltimore, definitely better than Cinci....

Like I've said before even if we are 1 and done, its a sign of good things to come.
Joe,
While a Giants fan that doesn't dislike the Jets, in fact, I feel bad for them, that comment of "even if we are 1 and done, its a sign of good things to come" has been said since 1969 by many Jets fans.
I honestly don't see the Jets, constantly being somewhere in the .500 ballpark, putting a solid team together the following year.
I honestly think they will be what they are, what they have been, for a long while to come.
My brother in law is like a brother to me. He is probably the most dedicated Jets fan I know. While I would like to see them win to reward his long term dedication to them, even he realizes what I have just said is true.
However, as a fan, don't blame you for being optimistic. Just keep optimistic in check with realistic.:-)
One very good thing going for them is their defense. If they can play the way they did this weekend, consistently, well, we all know, a great defense will always beat a great offense.
[Reply]
shilala 08:54 AM 01-04-2010

Just when you start sounding sensible, you say something like "the Bengals played to win yesterday." :-)
The fruck did you hit your head on? :-) :-) :-)

Like I said way back at the beginning of this thread, Sanchez is gonna be great. The Jets won't hold on to him, because they don't have the sense.
I expect they'll keep him two more years and he's gone. He'll take up anywhere else, blossom, and put up incredible numbers.
He's my favorite new talent in the league, and I really thought he'd settle down this year, but he killed me in fantasy football.
With Cotchery available, the Jets have a shot.
They're one injury away from losing real bad, so hold your breath, Joe.
I think they have a good chance of getting past Baltimore, but I just lost a bet that Baltimore would flush this season, and they beat my Steelers into the playoffs.
Bruce Arians be damned. :-)
[Reply]
coastietech 09:41 AM 01-04-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Joe,
While a Giants fan that doesn't dislike the Jets, in fact, I feel bad for them, that comment of "even if we are 1 and done, its a sign of good things to come" has been said since 1969 by many Jets fans.
I honestly don't see the Jets, constantly being somewhere in the .500 ballpark, putting a solid team together the following year.
I honestly think they will be what they are, what they have been, for a long while to come.
My brother in law is like a brother to me. He is probably the most dedicated Jets fan I know. While I would like to see them win to reward his long term dedication to them, even he realizes what I have just said is true.
However, as a fan, don't blame you for being optimistic. Just keep optimistic in check with realistic.:-)
One very good thing going for them is their defense. If they can play the way they did this weekend, consistently, well, we all know, a great defense will always beat a great offense.
Typically I would disagree, this time I don't... Like I've said before the only hole we have on the team is at QB and Sanchez will get better and fill that hole.

As I've said before we have one of the best defenses, one of the best O-lines and D-lines, the best run game in the league, and a top 5 special teams...

We have consistenly made great choices in the draft and will finally be able to capitalize on that.

If you disagree with anything I've written above tell me why?
[Reply]
pnoon 09:45 AM 01-04-2010
As I've said before we have one of the best defenses, one of the best O-lines and D-lines, the best run game in the league, and a top 5 special teams...
With that statement, I guess you blame 7 losses on Sanchez?

(Just playing Devil's Advocate here)
[Reply]
Blueface 09:48 AM 01-04-2010
Typically I would disagree, this time I don't... Like I've said before the only hole we have on the team is at QB and Sanchez will get better and fill that hole.

We have consistenly made great choices in the draft and will finally be able to capitalize on that.

If you disagree with anything I've written above tell me why?
I think on the positive side, no doubt Sanchez will blossom. He has exhibited amazing potential for a rookie, in spite of the bad games leading to 20+ interceptions.
No doubt the defense they have put together is stellar.
No doubt I think they finally have a very good head coach.

Here lies the problem with the Jets as I see it.
Somehow, regardless of all of the above, they find a way to mismanage the team.
It just seems that some organizations never get it together.
Somehow, it seems the Jets are in that rut.
Hopefully the future changes for them and hopefully, if they stay with the same team but build on it and stay healthy, you may in fact see them go beyond struggling to make the playoffs or first round. I think with their defense they have recently displayed, they can in fact win it all. However, that defense needs to show up week after week.
I recall the Giants of '86 as an example. They had an arguably mediocre offense but a consistently stellar defense, week after week.
[Reply]
coastietech 09:55 AM 01-04-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
Just when you start sounding sensible, you say something like "the Bengals played to win yesterday."
The fruck did you hit your head on? :-) :-) :-)
Straight from Marvin Lewis' mouth...
Originally Posted by :
"I didn't want to lose the football game," Lewis said. "How we lost it, I don't think that really matters. We didn't want to lose the football game. We had something to play for tonight and we didn't get it done. Now we are where we are. Our goals are ahead of us."
The only starter they didn't play that would have had some what of an effect was Benson. They played starters till the second half and we still scored 27 points on them and shut them out.
Originally Posted by shilala:
Like I said way back at the beginning of this thread, Sanchez is gonna be great. The Jets won't hold on to him, because they don't have the sense.
I expect they'll keep him two more years and he's gone. He'll take up anywhere else, blossom, and put up incredible numbers.
He's my favorite new talent in the league, and I really thought he'd settle down this year, but he killed me in fantasy football.
With Cotchery available, the Jets have a shot.
They're one injury away from losing real bad, so hold your breath, Joe.
I think they have a good chance of getting past Baltimore, but I just lost a bet that Baltimore would flush this season, and they beat my Steelers into the playoffs.
Bruce Arians be damned. :-)
Sanchez won't go anywhere... The Jets have staked there claim on him being as good as they think he will be.

And not for anything but any team is one injury away from losing real bad... You don't think losing Welker took away any chance the Pats have? Seriously?

How about Peyton? You don't think if he gets hurt that Indy's chances are done?

Anytime is one serious injury from losing.

I find it funny that will all the talent the Jets have and all the Pro Bowlers that we have on our team everyone still counts us out of everything. We haven't had a team this good in years. Count us out, I'm used to the Jets being the underdogs. However I think some people are gonna be awfully surprised now and in the future. :-)
[Reply]
coastietech 09:57 AM 01-04-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
With that statement, I guess you blame 7 losses on Sanchez?

(Just playing Devil's Advocate here)
Well the Jets are something like 1-6 when we lose the turnover game. :-)
[Reply]
jwintosh 09:58 AM 01-04-2010
i say, bring 'em on!!
[Reply]
elderboy02 05:44 PM 01-09-2010
Congrats Jets fans. Your team played a great game.
[Reply]
shvictor 05:46 PM 01-09-2010
Congrats to you guys
[Reply]
ScottieM 06:06 PM 01-09-2010
Congrats from a Buffalo Bills Fan!
[Reply]
e-man67 05:46 AM 01-10-2010
Congrats on a well deserved win! :-)
[Reply]
coastietech 07:50 AM 01-10-2010
Bring on Indy/San Deigo!!!