Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 7 of 13
« First < 567 89 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>DBall's Newb Blind Taste Test Thread #2
MTBAlex 11:38 PM 03-04-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:
Well... there's probably gonna be another one after this as these seem to be fun and engaging threads. Why don't you practice some reviews and perhaps you'll be the next guy having to suffer through dog rockets like these... :-)
lol. Thanks Dan. But I can't taste a difference between a cigar and a tube sock. But I'll let you know once my palette improves!! So I'll just be a avid reader of your blind taste test for now. Keep up the good work.:-)
[Reply]
Riff Raff 02:42 PM 03-07-2010
# 6 is in the books! :-)
[Reply]
Montano 07:32 PM 03-07-2010
Originally Posted by Riff Raff:
# 6 is in the books! :-)
Moving rather quickly :-)

I'll wait a day or two before I light up #6.
[Reply]
whodeeni 07:36 PM 03-07-2010
I wouldn't mind throwing my hat in to Join the next one Dan! Let me know bro!

Well... there's probably gonna be another one after this as these seem to be fun and engaging threads. Why don't you practice some reviews and perhaps you'll be the next guy having to suffer through dog rockets like these... :-)

[Reply]
Riff Raff 09:16 AM 03-11-2010
Bumpage! Any idea when they will be posted?
[Reply]
Montano 11:01 AM 03-11-2010
Sent mine in a couple days ago.......
[Reply]
DBall 11:06 AM 03-11-2010
In mere moments... :-)
[Reply]
DBall 11:07 AM 03-11-2010
Montano Cigar #6

This cigar is a bit veiny, with a few soft spots throughout. The wrapper is a bit rough. Pre-light draw was of a basic tobacco flavor. The cap was not in the best of shape.

Initial impression was a light creamy flavor, and general tobacco taste. The burn was a bit wild, going in lots of different directions.

The first 3rd was about all I got to smoke, as with every draw, the soft spots would cave in a bit, and after while the wrapper started to crack from the constant shifting.

I tried to continue on with the smoke, but it soon became impossible to get a decent draw. The wrapper was just crumbling every time I took a draw.

Between the soft cap, and soft spots throughout the cigar, I really didn't get to do a lot of tasting. The few puffs I did manage were OK. I'm thinking I just got a bad one and perhaps this is a decent cigar.

I'll have to give it a 6.
[Reply]
DBall 11:08 AM 03-11-2010
Riff Raff Cigar #6

You are number 6!

I am not a NUMBER!!!

Okay, working on the back 5 now! Number 6 is a rustic number. No cap to speak of. Just an overlay of the wrapper. Never seen a stick like that before. But then again-----> NEWB!

My calibrated eyeball says it is 6.5" X 42. It is a bit veiny and rough looking. A big green spot by the head and a little rough around the foot.

Pre-light: Draw is medium to firm. Tastes a bit like hay.

First light: Grassy taste. A little bit of spice. A bit underwhelming. Nice dark gray ash though.

1/3rd: There is an underlying hint of toffee but only briefly. Just a bit toasty. Not much flavor to speak of really. Retro-hale tasted of grass. The ash held for about two inches.

2/3rd: Some spice is creeping in here! There is some cinnamon and nutmeg too. This is turning out quite nice! Lots of smoke.

3/3rd: Spice! Nice and toasty with some sweet tobacco flavors coming through. As it smoked down it got a bit soft and squishy. Some nice cedar flavors at the nub.

Overall: A diamond in the rough. This was quite a surprising smoke. It started out weak but finished up nicely. The burn was pretty much even throughout, not razor sharp but okay. I would say this mild to medium smoke was about an 8.7. I would buy this again. It was a quick smoke too. It lasted only about 40 minutes or so.
[Reply]
DBall 11:10 AM 03-11-2010
What they smoked:

1999 La Flor De Cano Selectos

Montano score: 6
Riff Raff score: 8.7

Cheap and fantastic golf cigar... these things can be hit and miss, but I really seem to be pleased with them for the most part.
[Reply]
cigarz 11:14 AM 03-11-2010
Another nice job guys. Wow, I have never seen a cigar unravel like the one you smoked Nick.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 11:15 AM 03-11-2010
These guys were told to dry box to help draw issues. Were they ever told when to take them out of the dry box and put back into a humidfied environment. Montano's review and pics look like a cigar that has been sitting out and over-dried.

Just my $0.02.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
DBall 11:24 AM 03-11-2010
Wetting the cigar if the wrapper feels brittle can't hurt anything... I do it all the time. :-)
[Reply]
akumushi 11:27 AM 03-11-2010
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
These guys were told to dry box to help draw issues. Were they ever told when to take them out of the dry box and put back into a humidfied environment. Montano's review and pics look like a cigar that has been sitting out and over-dried.

Just my $0.02.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Funny, as I was reading his review I was thinking to myself that he should read this thread.:-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 11:42 AM 03-11-2010
The LFDC's are great to pair with coffee in the morning. Cheap too.
[Reply]
Ferrari5180 11:52 AM 03-11-2010
Wow, you guys always have experiences that are on the opposite sides of the dimensions. Neat. Sometimes I get issues with cigars where I just want to throw it away, but I just can't. Maybe as I start to smoke more I will end up tossing more often.
[Reply]
Riff Raff 12:16 PM 03-11-2010
Originally Posted by Ferrari5180:
Wow, you guys always have experiences that are on the opposite sides of the dimensions. Neat. Sometimes I get issues with cigars where I just want to throw it away, but I just can't. Maybe as I start to smoke more I will end up tossing more often.
I know what you mean! There have been cigars that had major splits in them and I just refused to let the cigar get the better of me. I haven't tossed one out yet before its time. I haven't nubbed quite a few though.

I did dry box mine. It was at about 58% RH when I smoked it.
[Reply]
DBall 01:04 PM 03-11-2010
I did dry box mine. It was at about 58% RH when I smoked it.
63ish is where I'd prefer mine to be... give or take a few.
[Reply]
Montano 04:40 PM 03-11-2010
Wetting the cigar if the wrapper feels brittle can't hurt anything... I do it all the time. :-)
I just might have to give that a try :-)
[Reply]
Riff Raff 05:30 PM 03-15-2010
Okay. Seven is a done deal.

How ya doing, Nick?
[Reply]
Page 7 of 13
« First < 567 89 > Last »
Up