Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 7 of 8
« First < 567 8 >
General Discussion>Your favorite album
Hot Stuff x 02:20 PM 08-11-2011
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Vinyl? Is that some sort of new format available in the Far East? :-)
:-)

Here's a list... although I'm sure I'm forgetting many great ones, I've listened to these a lot:

Elvis Costello - Get Happy!
Elvis Costello - This Year's Model
Bad Company - Desolation Angels
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Doobie Brothers - Captain and Me
Beatles - Abbey Road
Led Zeppelin II
ZZ Top - Deguello
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat
Bob Seger - Night Moves
Bob Seger - Live Bullet

Greatest Hits Collections:

Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks
Doobie Brothers - Best of the Doobies
Best of The Guess Who
Steve Miller Band's Greatest Hits 1974-78
Decade of Steely Dan
The Beatles 1962 - 1966
This is the Moody Blues
[Reply]
Mikey202 03:37 PM 08-11-2011
Black Label Society -Skullage (Greatest hits)
Order of the Black

Pantera - Cowboys from Hell
Dimebag......nuff said.

Rush - Moving pictures
This blows me away everytime I listen to it.

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Mob Rules
Ronnie James Dio took this band to the next level.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:00 PM 08-11-2011
OK, so the radio just started playing One Way Out, which leads me to propose that if you do not own The Allman Brothers Live At Fillmore East you have no rock collection.

Discuss, but do not dismiss.
[Reply]
Gophernut 04:54 PM 08-11-2011
I have about 7 albums I tend to always go back to depending on mood.

1) Operation: Mindcrime, Queensryche
2) Appetite for Destruction, GnR
3) Hempispheres, Rush
4) Live After Death, Iron Maiden
5) Ride the Lightning, Metallica
6) New Miserable Experience, Gin Blossoms
7) Nightmare, Avenged Sevenfold
[Reply]
forgop 04:57 PM 08-11-2011
1). Skillet-Awake
2). Skillet-Comatose
3). Decyfer Down-Crash
4). GnR-Appetite for Destruction
5). Mettalica-And Justice for All
[Reply]
Mikey202 05:03 PM 08-11-2011
OK, so the radio just started playing One Way Out, which leads me to propose that if you do not own The Allman Brothers Live At Fillmore East you have no rock collection.

Discuss, but do not dismiss.
I have The Allman Brothers Eat a Peach Deluxe Edition, that has 2 discs. The second disc is the live concert, from the last time they played at the Fillmore East. I likey very much.:-)
[Reply]
Scothew 05:54 PM 08-11-2011
The Allman Brothers mentions lead me to think about another great one. Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus.
[Reply]
BigAsh 08:45 AM 08-12-2011
"Blood on the Tracks" and "Desire"...Dylan at his best....
[Reply]
The Poet 08:54 AM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by Mikey202:
I have The Allman Brothers Eat a Peach Deluxe Edition, that has 2 discs. The second disc is the live concert, from the last time they played at the Fillmore East. I likey very much.:-)

To clarify, a few points you may not know:

First, it was the last time anybody played at the Fillmore East, as they were the closing act. They did it right, and jammed until dawn, though Gregg later claimed they were so lost in the music they didn't realize this until somebody popped the doors open and the rising sun streamed in. Second, that 34-minute Mountain Jam, based upon the Donovan song from 1967, actually begins on the Live At Fillmore East album. The 4th side of that double album was a 23-minute jam of their signature Whipping Post. At the end, as the crowd quiets down, Duane begins noodling out out those first few sweet notes which open the longer jam that follows - "Duh, uupi-doop doop dah uup uup, duh-uup doop doop doo-da uup upp." Then the album fades to silence.

We loyal Allman fans, in mourning of Duane's tragic death, had to wait over a year to find out what that was.
[Reply]
Jbailey 10:20 AM 08-12-2011
To clarify, a few points you may not know:

First, it was the last time anybody played at the Fillmore East, as they were the closing act. They did it right, and jammed until dawn, though Gregg later claimed they were so lost in the music they didn't realize this until somebody popped the doors open and the rising sun streamed in. Second, that 34-minute Mountain Jam, based upon the Donovan song from 1967, actually begins on the Live At Fillmore East album. The 4th side of that double album was a 23-minute jam of their signature Whipping Post. At the end, as the crowd quiets down, Duane begins noodling out out those first few sweet notes which open the longer jam that follows - "Duh, uupi-doop doop dah uup uup, duh-uup doop doop doo-da uup upp." Then the album fades to silence.

We loyal Allman fans, in mourning of Duane's tragic death, had to wait over a year to find out what that was.
Also wasn't the fillmore album a combination of two show?
[Reply]
The Poet 10:38 AM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by Jbailey:
Also wasn't the fillmore album a combination of two show?
In more ways than one, truth be told. Not only were there shows on Friday March 12th and Saturday March 13th 1971 (not counting the next-dawn slopover :-) ), but even some of the cuts on the album were amalgams of different performances from those sets. To quote Wikipoopia:

"For example, the first seven minutes of "You Don't Love Me" is from the first show on March 13 and the rest (Starting at Duane's solo without the band) is from the second show on March 12."
[Reply]
irratebass 10:46 AM 08-12-2011
Ok I'll play, I also have a HUGE collection of music, I have OVER 3,000 cd's not including what's on my computer, congrats to OP for having over 100gbs of music, that is awesome.

Some of my favorites in no particular order:

1. Orange Goblin - Coup De Grace (find this album!)
2. Beastie Boys - Check Your Head (this was the ablum that put them way ahead of the hiphop/rap genre)
3. Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction (not a bad song on this album from front to back)
4. Foo Fighters - s/t (again not a bad song on here)
5. Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley (massive album)
6. Fu Manchu - Go For It Live! (2 cd of live badassedness!!)

*edit* forgot a big one

7. AC/DC - Back In Black (a lot of people would say a Bon album, but this one is the 1st one after Bion died and once again not a bad song.....I love Bon too, so don't get me wrong, but this album can never go wrong no matter the setting)

Enjoy :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 11:01 AM 08-12-2011
Looking back through this thread I forgot GnR, AC/DC, STP, Pantera, and The Eagles.

This thread is reminding me of all the music I have and haven't listened to in a good bit.
[Reply]
irratebass 11:06 AM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Looking back through this thread I forgot GnR, AC/DC, STP, Pantera, and The Eagles.

This thread is reminding me of all the music I have and haven't listened to in a good bit.
This is why I love these kind of threads, not only do I find people with similar tastes, but it also reminds me of the good stuff I have.

dig your avatar Bill :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:51 AM 08-12-2011
Wow! Can't believe I missed this thread. Tŭr, I'm sure you have a good idea of my selections so these should come as no surprise. Limited to 10.

In no particular order except for the first(all time favorite):
Danzig - Danzig
Samhain - November-Coming-Fire
Misfits - Earth A.D./Wolfs Blood
SLAYER!!! - Decade of Aggression Live Set
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Crowbar - Crowbar
AiC - Dirt
The Mamas & the Papas - Greatest Hits
Hank Williams - The Complete Hank Williams
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 12:15 PM 08-12-2011
The new album from Dave Alvin "Eleven Eleven" is fantastic. It's about to hit my top ten. Alvin is one of the best songwriters today and is grossly underappreciated.

MCS
[Reply]
racerX 10:16 PM 08-12-2011
Van Halen 1 – Can you hear the car horn when the needle drops on side 1?
Bowie – Scary Monsters. I can listen to this first song to last over and over again. Pete Townsend did a guest spot.
Soundgarden – Bad Motorfinger. Heavy like a sledge hammer on hot tar
Mike Patton – Mondo Cane. If you like faith no more and want to hear what Mike has been up to buy it. Most of the songs are in Italian.
Nirvana - In utero.
Guns and Roses - chinese democracy - call me crazy but, I was one of the few who thought is was almost worth the wait.

So many more I could go on but I think that I will stick with those as my full album (cd) picks. Elvis, Zep, Willie, Kanye, Ice Cube, Johnny Cash, Def Tones, U2, Foos and so many more from my younger days working in a record store to what I like today.

Great thread thanks. I'm going to hit submit now so I don't keep adding to my list.:-)
[Reply]
irratebass 11:19 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by racerX:
Van Halen 1 – Can you hear the car horn when the needle drops on side 1?
Bowie – Scary Monsters. I can listen to this first song to last over and over again. Pete Townsend did a guest spot.
Soundgarden – Bad Motorfinger. Heavy like a sledge hammer on hot tar
Mike Patton – Mondo Cane. If you like faith no more and want to hear what Mike has been up to buy it. Most of the songs are in Italian.
Nirvana - In utero.
Guns and Roses - chinese democracy - call me crazy but, I was one of the few who thought is was almost worth the wait.

So many more I could go on but I think that I will stick with those as my full album (cd) picks. Elvis, Zep, Willie, Kanye, Ice Cube, Johnny Cash, Def Tones, U2, Foos and so many more from my younger days working in a record store to what I like today.

Great thread thanks. I'm going to hit submit now so I don't keep adding to my list.:-)
OMG Yes SOUNDGARDEN, totally forgot about this amazing album, good call!:-)
[Reply]
pektel 11:29 PM 08-12-2011
I've always liked Tom petty - Wildflowers.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
fsjonsey 12:15 AM 08-13-2011
Have The Black Keys been mentioned yet? Blues rock at it's best, as only two pasty guys from Akron could do it. Rubber Factory, Their debut record, is arguably their best, and probably one of my favorite albums, period.

Just Couldn't Tie Me Down- From "Rubber Factory"

Keep Your Hands Off her- From "Chulahoma"

Goodbye Babylon- from "Magic Potion"

So He Won't Break- From "Attack and Release"

Tighten up- From "Brothers"
[Reply]
Page 7 of 8
« First < 567 8 >
Up