« First < 567 89 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Rant: Cigar Bums
tobii3 01:10 PM 01-27-2011
Freud said it best.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
[Reply]
pnoon 01:12 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by cmitch:
It is really quite amazing how many different directions and opinions came from this rant. Hmm. I don't think I was attaching strings to anything. My rant was about people I didn't know who thinks they can bum a cigar like they bum a cigarette. That's all.
Interesting that you would take my post so personally. If you re-read the thread you'll find the conversation may have drifted somewhat from what you inteded to discuss. Also, you will see that my post was not a direct reply to what you stated at the start. My post (and my point) stands on its own.

On behalf of all those who strayed from what you wanted to discuss, we are sorry.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
wayner123 01:19 PM 01-27-2011
It is really quite amazing how many different directions and opinions came from this rant. Hmm. I don't think I was attaching strings to anything. My rant was about people I didn't know who thinks they can bum a cigar like they bum a cigarette. That's all.
It did drift some but such is the forum posting world. However the first reply:

Originally Posted by wayner123:
Or just carry around really good cheap cigars.
Should have covered it all.
[Reply]
shilala 01:34 PM 01-27-2011
I didn't read all this, but wanted to offer a workaround.
First off, I consider giving away cigars about 90% of the fun, so far as this hobby goes. When I go somewhere where I'll be smoking with others, I take tons of cigars along, so I can share.
I do agree that it can get real expensive sharing $10-$20 sticks with folks who are only likely to take a couple puffs. I make sense of that by keeping plenty of really good $3-$4 sticks. That way if I'm around a campfire with a lot of folks who have never smoked, but just want to "try" a cigar, it's not a problem.
I suppose the long and short of it is that my humidor is, and always has been wide open to anyone at any time. I don't have any cigars that I wouldn't give up in a second. Don't care what they are. If that cigar is gonna put that big dumb grin on a brother's face, that has far more value to me than the price of any cigar.

One other thing that may or may not have been mentioned is that average folks do not know that cigars cost lots of money. They assume they're a buck or something, and by asking, they're not putting me out or breaking my bank.
If I get caught at that campfire with nothing but expensive cigars, that's what they're gonna get. There's a lot of reasons for that, one big one being that no matter how many expensive cigars I give away, I'll never pay back the generosity that's been extended to me by my botl's.
[Reply]
pektel 01:37 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
First off, I consider giving away cigars about 90% of the fun, so far as this hobby goes. When I go somewhere where I'll be smoking with others, I take tons of cigars along, so I can share.
I do agree that it can get real expensive sharing $10-$20 sticks with folks who are only likely to take a couple puffs. I make sense of that by keeping plenty of really good $3-$4 sticks. That way if I'm around a campfire with a lot of folks who have never smoked, but just want to "try" a cigar, it's not a problem.
I suppose the long and short of it is that my humidor is, and always has been wide open to anyone at any time. I don't have any cigars that I wouldn't give up in a second. Don't care what they are. If that cigar is gonna put that big dumb grin on a brother's face, that has far more value to me than the price of any cigar.

One other thing that may or may not have been mentioned is that average folks do not know that cigars cost lots of money. They assume they're a buck or something, and by asking, they're not putting me out or breaking my bank.
If I get caught at that campfire with nothing but expensive cigars, that's what they're gonna get. There's a lot of reasons for that, one big one being that no matter how many expensive cigars I give away, I'll never pay back the generosity that's been extended to me by my botl's.
Well said :-)
[Reply]
HK3- 01:38 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:

Well said Scott, well said.
[Reply]
357 01:43 PM 01-27-2011
Simple options from good suggestions:

1. Don't give cigars to folks you don't think will appreciate the gesture.

2. Keep inexpensive (yet decent) cigars with you for such occasions.

I don't think anyone would object to you doing either. I think what people are trying to convey is that giving is often the best part of the cigar experience. Obviously not every cigar you give will be appreciated or even liked. Such is life. Don't take it personally. I know there is monetary loss, but when you give a cigar to someone who lights up with joy, you'll realize the previous losses were worth it.

Edited to say: I agree with Scott too!
[Reply]
pnoon 01:48 PM 01-27-2011
It's really quite simple.
Carry a variety of cigars that you don't mind parting with - no matter who they go to.

-or-

Just say no.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
mpd340 02:07 PM 01-27-2011
Just say no.
Posted via Mobile Device[/quote]

Wasn't that in a public service announcement.:-)
[Reply]
Coach Deg 02:19 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by bonggoy:
That's what exactly I am referring to. He called them idiots for not understanding the proper etiquette of cigar smoking i.e. not knowing how to cut a cigar and you have to finish a cigar.
It was the fact that these people didn't even smoke and were just taking them because they were there. If your a vegetarian and there is a filet sitting on the bar do you take a bite and put it down, just cause its there.
[Reply]
mscales 02:37 PM 01-27-2011
I give a lot of cigars away, a couple a week or so. But, if I have a really nice expensive cigar I would ask for hte cost if someone wanted to "try a stick". Now don't get me wrong, I don't have crap cigars and all are very nice ones but if I was paying $9 +/- it would have to be a good friend I want to spend time with to just hand over a cigar just to try.
[Reply]
sobranie10 02:40 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
I love giving cigars away. Whenever I am at a party or one if the few bars in my area that still allow cigar smoking, I always bring plenty of extra. You meet some of the nicest people through the simple gift of a cigar. I don't care if they're mooching or genuinely curious, the world today can be so callous and cynical that a smile from a stranger and some casual conversation helps to remind me that what we need most is connection to our fellow human beings.

MCS
I think half the fun of smoking cigars is sharing cigars with others weather they enjoy cigars or not. Never know who you might meet, to me it’s not whether they look the part or know what they are doing to me it’s who I am.
[Reply]
DivineRight 02:52 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by tobii3:
Freud said it best.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
I'm not a big Freud fan, I prefer to look at cigars in this manner:

"A good cigar is as great a comfort to a man as a good cry to a woman."

Bulwer-Lytton, E. G.
[Reply]
cmitch 03:05 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Interesting that you would take my post so personally. If you re-read the thread you'll find the conversation may have drifted somewhat from what you inteded to discuss. Also, you will see that my post was not a direct reply to what you stated at the start. My post (and my point) stands on its own.

On behalf of all those who strayed from what you wanted to discuss, we are sorry.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apparently I misunderstood your intent. But I didn't take it 'personally'. I see what you were driving at.

I think this thread has opened up a great discussion and it has given me many ideas on how to counter this nicely.
[Reply]
poker 03:11 PM 01-27-2011
If the person is in fact a "mooch" as some have eluded to, then just a simple "no" will do.
[Reply]
Kreth 03:20 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by poker:
If the person is in fact a "mooch" as some have eluded to, then just a simple "no" will do.
I do not think that word means what you think it means... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
icehog3 03:24 PM 01-27-2011
I think this thread has opened up a great discussion and it has given me many ideas on how to counter this nicely.
Excellent. Can I have a cigar?
[Reply]
chand 03:29 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by Kreth:
I do not think that word means what you think it means... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Inconceivable!
[Reply]
poker 03:37 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Excellent. Can I have a cigar?
anything in my humi :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 03:40 PM 01-27-2011
Apparently I misunderstood your intent. But I didn't take it 'personally'. I see what you were driving at.

:-) & :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Page 7 of 12
« First < 567 89 > Last »
Up