Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 69 of 138
« First < 1959676869 707179119 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
Sherlockholms 07:29 PM 08-03-2011
When freezing cigars how long after freezing them can you ship them out?
[Reply]
pnoon 07:32 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Sherlockholms:
When freezing cigars how long after freezing them can you ship them out?
I would wait as long as you would before smoking them yourself.
I don't freeze but I would suggest a week or two in your own normal stable environment should be fine.
[Reply]
Sherlockholms 11:31 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I would wait as long as you would before smoking them yourself.
I don't freeze but I would suggest a week or two in your own normal stable environment should be fine.
That clears it up for me :-) . I was going to jump in the PIF but the sticks I am going to send are in the freezer right now. I will wait a few weeks before Sending them out :-)
[Reply]
lukemoney 11:16 AM 08-04-2011
thanks i gonna check into getting that
[Reply]
fritz43096 05:38 PM 08-05-2011
I was at my "not as local as I wish it were" cigar shop the other day and mentioned to the man running the store that I did most of my shopping online bcause I live so far out of the city. He said something like, "thats a shame because cigars that you buy online are made to be sold online." Does anyone know what he might have meant? (I didn't much care for the guy so I didn't continue the conversation, bought my sticks and left.)

Is there a difference in cigars sold online vs in a store?
[Reply]
icehog3 06:52 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by fritz43096:
I was at my "not as local as I wish it were" cigar shop the other day and mentioned to the man running the store that I did most of my shopping online bcause I live so far out of the city. He said something like, "thats a shame because cigars that you buy online are made to be sold online." Does anyone know what he might have meant? (I didn't much care for the guy so I didn't continue the conversation, bought my sticks and left.)

Classic. We had quite the discussion about this some time ago.

My opinion? Absolutely none.
[Reply]
icehog3 06:53 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Classic. We had quite the discussion about this some time ago.

My opinion? Absolutely none.
Happy reading. :-)

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10764
[Reply]
T.G 07:12 PM 08-05-2011

Unfortunately, that's a very oft repeated, but largely inaccurate statement.

In all the factories I have been to, I have never seen any such thing as a difference in _the_cigars_. I have seen packaging differences though. Sometimes, large e-tailers with substantial buying power, will order a very large quantity of cigars to be delivered in factory mazos (cellophane wrapped bundles) of 20 cigars (or whatever, 10, 15, 25...) rather than in boxes, in order to get the cigars at a lower price since they aren't paying for a box.

I have personally watched the cigars being pulled from a singe batch in the aging room, be delivered to the sorting tables, be color sorted and bundled, these bundles then handed off randomly to the banding and cello tables, then passed to the final assembly of one section doing boxes, the other packing mazos. No distinction whatsoever is made for the cigars. They all started from the same batch and any one cigar could have ended up in either a box or a mazo - it all depended on which table it randomly ended up at.
[Reply]
fritz43096 07:58 PM 08-05-2011
Wow....um..in an effort to keep what happened on that original thread that Icehog linked for me from happening here....I've got my answer..thanks!
[Reply]
icehog3 08:04 PM 08-05-2011
Wow....um..in an effort to keep what happened on that original thread that Icehog linked for me from happening here....I've got my answer..thanks!
Good call, Brent! :-) :-)
[Reply]
VACigarSmoker 09:19 PM 08-05-2011
I was just looking at the Oliva site and read this. "Proper storage is fundamental. Cigars should be stored without cellophane in a humidor which has an adequate seal."

I've always kept my cigars in the cellophane just wanted to kick it around here.
[Reply]
Average Joe 09:22 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by VACigarSmoker:
I was just looking at the Oliva site and read this. "Proper storage is fundamental. Cigars should be stored without cellophane in a humidor which has an adequate seal."

I've always kept my cigars in the cellophane just wanted to kick it around here.
:-) :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:25 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by VACigarSmoker:

The cigars will be just fine in the cello. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:43 PM 08-05-2011
Tom is wise! (and apparently Oliva is not)
[Reply]
longknocker 03:52 AM 08-06-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Tom is wise! (and apparently Oliva is not)
I Always Leave Mine In Cello If They Come That Way. It Gives The Sticks Some Protection & Air Flows Through The Cello Just Fine. :-)
[Reply]
chachee52 06:35 AM 08-06-2011
So I was talking to a friend about a cigar that he had gifted me and how the ash was SUPER straight and how the next day I had one of my favorite cigars and the ash was titled.
He was telling me that a cigar is like wine and needs to be rotated occationally to keep the humidity equal around it.
Now He does have a very large collection and it was a very well kept cigar so I believe him, but it got me wondering....... How often do you rotate the cigars and while turning them, do you also put it into a different area in the humidor?
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:25 AM 08-06-2011
Originally Posted by chachee52:
So I was talking to a friend about a cigar that he had gifted me and how the ash was SUPER straight and how the next day I had one of my favorite cigars and the ash was titled.
He was telling me that a cigar is like wine and needs to be rotated occationally to keep the humidity equal around it.
Now He does have a very large collection and it was a very well kept cigar so I believe him, but it got me wondering....... How often do you rotate the cigars and while turning them, do you also put it into a different area in the humidor?
Rotation is one of the religious questions some do it, some don't and everyone is happy with what they do or don't do.

Some tobacco blends and rollers produce better ash than others. Not sure that there is anything more to it than that. The RH range that we tend to keep our cigars at (~ 60%-70%) is pretty narrow. Not sure how to correlate RH with "tight ash".

In any case, I would not worry about it. Just enjoy your cigar :-)
[Reply]
Brutus2600 09:47 AM 08-06-2011
Originally Posted by chachee52:
I bought some aged cigars recently that hadn't been removed from their box at all since the day they were bought. Every one I burned burned crooked because they had been sitting so long in what I'm guessing was a bit higher humidity than I keep my cigars (65%). I've rotated them and will let them rest in my humi for a while before I smoke another.

All my other cigars, in a box or not...I've never rotated and haven't had any burning issues unless the cigar itself has construction issues.

Long answer short: I wouldn't worry about rotating your cigars.
[Reply]
iamsolitary 12:17 PM 08-10-2011
I'm curious what people use to take notes on the cigars they have tried. I am a cigar newb and I want to try a variety of cigars to figure out what I like.

A notebook would be a simple solution but I feel like after a very short while it would become a pain to look through.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:20 PM 08-10-2011
Poeple use all kinds of stuff for notes. Word, Excel, a notebook, etc. A CA member created an iPhone app called Mobile Stogie that is also quite popular. You can find it in the App store. There are also a couple of apps for Android phones.
[Reply]
Page 69 of 138
« First < 1959676869 707179119 > Last »
Up