Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 68 of 129
« First < 1858666768 697078118 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Losing Weight with Starscream
Starscream 06:05 PM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
Andy,one thing I noticed from this thread is that alcohol is a major diet enemy. I'm super-blessed, because I don't drink. I don't have that evening/weekend fun monkey on my back, ya know?
My sweet baby has been really watching her calories (not that she doesn't always) because she wants to lose a few pounds, I'm guessing. I don't think she needs to, she looks amazing, but she's gonna do what she's gonna do, ya know. :-)
Anyways, she likes her wine in the evening/before bed, and she likes to get tuned up a bit at family day on Sundays. She has very much slowed down how much she drinks, and I haven't seen Bailey's in her coffee for a long, long time.
I wasn't making that point AT you, I'm just talking to you. Sorry, I should have said that, I'm making you out to be a drunk, lol. :-)
Anyways, you'd mentioned a number of times in the past how bad the alcohol can sabotage a diet, and I just wanted to throw that recent personal experience out there to add some empirical evidence to your alcohol mentionings before I forgot about it. :-)
100% correct, Scott (I may even be a drunk:-)). I spent my spring break with the alcohol and got it out of my system for a while in order to stay on track. Had to have a bit of fun since I gave it up completely for 40+ days.
Originally Posted by kgoings:
Hey just started doing some workign out, and I am trying to eat better..not really a diet. But I do need to lose weight. I am doing the insanity workout, I really need someone to keep me accountable. Hopefully I can keep this up. I am 205 (5'8") with cholestoral around 300...my bp is great. Doc says the cholestoral is from being overweight.
Cholesterol sucks, Kirk. Keep us updated on your progress.
What is the insanity workout?
[Reply]
kgoings 06:52 PM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by Starscream:
Cholesterol sucks, Kirk. Keep us updated on your progress. What is the insanity workout?
Its one of those infomercials like the P90X but its 90% Cardio with exercises you do using your own body weight..no equipment. They call it Max interval training, interval training on roids.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:23 AM 05-04-2011
Kirk, what were your HDL and LDL?

Exercise is only one aspect to lowering your cholesterol. Diet is another. If you have a smartphone, look into a program that you can use to track your meals. I use CarbMaster for the Iphone since I need to track my carbs, but it tracks everything else. It's amazing to see what you're really eating once you start entering it in. Once you get an idea of where the bulk of your calories are coming from, you can make adjustments from there if necessary.
[Reply]
Starscream 10:45 AM 05-04-2011
243 today. Up one pound, which is about what I expected. Getting back to my routines starting today and my goal is to drop four this week. Staying focused is my primary objective this week.
[Reply]
shilala 10:52 AM 05-04-2011
Hey just started doing some workign out, and I am trying to eat better..not really a diet. But I do need to lose weight. I am doing the insanity workout, I really need someone to keep me accountable. Hopefully I can keep this up. I am 205 (5'8") with cholestoral around 300...my bp is great. Doc says the cholestoral is from being overweight.
Keep us informed of your results and how it's all working out, will ya, Kirk?
If you find it works, even if you modify it, it may help other guys here. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 10:58 AM 05-04-2011
Just as I guessed, the 209 didn't last long. I had to eat yesterday, didn't have any choice. I didn't eat a lot, spread out small meals over the course of the day. Today I'll probably eat once around dinner and something late. The menu looks like rice and pop-tarts. :-)
Mama comes home today, so she'll make me eat all kinds of stuff I don't want to eat until she has to leave for work again. I think we have to travel down to Washington on Friday, so we'll likely go out to eat. I've slowly stopped eating when we go out to eat, too, but I always get to try everyone else's stuff. :-)
[Reply]
kgoings 11:16 AM 05-04-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Kirk, what were your HDL and LDL?

Exercise is only one aspect to lowering your cholesterol. Diet is another. If you have a smartphone, look into a program that you can use to track your meals. I use CarbMaster for the Iphone since I need to track my carbs, but it tracks everything else. It's amazing to see what you're really eating once you start entering it in. Once you get an idea of where the bulk of your calories are coming from, you can make adjustments from there if necessary.
I let you know when I get tested again, not sure. I talked with the doc about what I ate, and he was pretty sure it was hereditary and weight related. I am trying to eat better...plus 1400mg of Fish Oil and 2400mg of Red Yeast Rice a day.
[Reply]
shilala 11:21 AM 05-04-2011
Kirk, I can eat bacon, eggs and butter dipped steak 24/7, let my weight go, and my cholestorol stays great. Apparently that's hereditary, too? I never did understand that stuff, but Lisa made me get checked. When it was all good, she couldn't believe it. Me neither, really. :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:27 PM 05-04-2011
I let you know when I get tested again, not sure. I talked with the doc about what I ate, and he was pretty sure it was hereditary and weight related. I am trying to eat better...plus 1400mg of Fish Oil and 2400mg of Red Yeast Rice a day.
I"m curious to hear how the RYR works for you. I've thought about taking it myself. Another good item to add is flax seed. Buy the whole seed and grind up in a spice grinder. I mixed some this morning with some natural peanut butter and bulgur wheat. Lots of protein, fiber and good fats.

Originally Posted by shilala:
Kirk, I can eat bacon, eggs and butter dipped steak 24/7, let my weight go, and my cholestorol stays great. Apparently that's hereditary, too? I never did understand that stuff, but Lisa made me get checked. When it was all good, she couldn't believe it. Me neither, really. :-)
Sure Scott, rub it in. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 12:33 PM 05-04-2011
Sure Scott, rub it in. :-)
It's a wasted talent, I don't eat any kind of meat at all anymore (because it all has so much potassium, and I can't have potassium).
You watch. My whole diet changed and next time I get tested my numbers will be off the charts and they'll wonder how I'm alive cause my cholesterol is so high. :-)
[Reply]
kgoings 01:19 PM 05-04-2011
How can I forget! And a glass of Red Wine every night...and sometimes a second glass if I smoke a cigar :-)

Trying to not drink beer..even though I love it! :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 01:51 PM 05-04-2011
How can I forget! And a glass of Red Wine every night...and sometimes a second glass if I smoke a cigar :-)

Trying to not drink beer..even though I love it! :-)
I would think one or two beers is better than one or two glasses of wine. Wine has more sugars, doesn't it?

I'm probably wrong, though.:-)
[Reply]
Christiel49 01:57 PM 05-04-2011
Maybe you guys can keep me motivated! I have got to loose weight, and always seem short on time to put in exercise.

Anywho, mine is directly related to hormones (shots). And Candy!
[Reply]
kgoings 01:59 PM 05-04-2011
I would think one or two beers is better than one or two glasses of wine. Wine has more sugars, doesn't it?

Red Wine is supposed to be good for your heart and cholestoral. Plus I drink wine MUCH slower than I drink beer...I drink beer like water.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:05 PM 05-04-2011
Originally Posted by Christiel49:
Maybe you guys can keep me motivated! I have got to loose weight, and always seem short on time to put in exercise.

Anywho, mine is directly related to hormones (shots). And Candy!
I'm going to sound like a broken record, but get some type of program to track your daily food intake. It'll help point out if you're getting too many calories and what kind (carbs, protein, fat). That'll allow you to make any adjustments.

Also, a good digital kitchen scale to portion out your food. I used to be a dump a little of this, add a bit of that type of person when cooking. Amazing to think I would eat 2-3 times a normal serving size of pasta. Now it's the 2oz or less and bulk up on the veggies.

Right now my exercise routine is walking 2-3 miles 4-5 times a week. Since making these changes just a couple of months ago, I"m down ~20lbs (55lbs since I started my journey). It's easy and cheap.
[Reply]
shilala 05:33 PM 05-04-2011
Lisa saw this thread up here and asked me to tell you guys about myfooddiary.com.
It's a subscription service, and it does all kinds of stuff I wouldn't understand.
You can log on to it from anywhere, even from your smartphone (no app, but there's a mobile version).
It might be worth a look for you guys that track all these things, and definately for those who want to track their caloric intake, etc.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:13 AM 05-05-2011
245.6 this morning. Slowly but surely getting there.
[Reply]
shilala 06:55 AM 05-05-2011

To add to what Kirk said, lots of doctors suggest a glass of RED wine in the evening. They attribute whatever is in wine to the almost non-existant incidence of heart disease in France. It really is good for you on all sorts of levels.
Beer is not good for you on any level. That's why we love it so much. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 06:59 AM 05-05-2011
245.6 this morning. Slowly but surely getting there.
Well done, Bob!!! :-)

I went to 208.8 this morning. I was totally shocked. I figured that 209.0 was just gonna be here for a second, which was true, but then it came right back. That's usually a sign that it's going to stick.
I started this whole mess at 250, and made it to 185 only to go back to about 223, so we'll see how it goes. I'm cautiously optimistic.
[Reply]
kgoings 08:49 PM 05-05-2011
Another day! Today was 'recovery day' RIIIIGHT mostly Yoga...that crap is hard!

I've been eating better, last night I went to Applebees and tried the guilt free menu, VERY good! And tonight I tried Taco Bells's diet menu..the Tacos were very good the burrito is filled with lettuce and tomato and not enough meat...all you tasted was tomato. Another friend at work is dieting too so we are going around trying the diet menus
[Reply]
Page 68 of 129
« First < 1858666768 697078118 > Last »
Up