Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 67 of 138
« First < 1757656667 686977117 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
Nash 03:37 PM 07-07-2011
What does the term "toothy" mean when speaking of the wrapper?
[Reply]
icehog3 04:35 PM 07-07-2011
Usually it means the wrapper has a coarse texture
[Reply]
Mattso3000 04:38 PM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Usually it means the wrapper has a coarse texture
Maduro and camaroon wrappers are naturally more coarse and frequently described as "toothy" Icehog3 nailed this one.
[Reply]
sparkboss 03:34 AM 07-08-2011
Originally Posted by longknocker:
My Preference Is The 62-66 Range.:-)
if you put some dry sticks in your humidor how long do you think it'd take them to get in that 62-66 range? and what's your method of humidification :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 03:57 AM 07-08-2011
Originally Posted by sparkboss:
if you put some dry sticks in your humidor how long do you think it'd take them to get in that 62-66 range? and what's your method of humidification :-)
Less Than 24H For Me. Be Sure & Recalibrate Your Hygrometer When You Add A Lot Of Sticks To Your Humi. I Use 65% RH Boveda Packs From http://www.bovedadirect.com/ And 65 % Beads From Here:
http://www.shilalasbeads.com/
:-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 10:48 AM 07-08-2011
Depends on how dry they are. If they are really dry, it's a slow process to get them to be smokable again. At least 6-8 months, imo.
[Reply]
Jbailey 11:29 AM 07-08-2011
I will also add to Gregs post by suggesting slowly raising the RH over time if they are really dry.
[Reply]
sparkboss 03:52 AM 07-09-2011
oh wow.. alright i'll try to leave my humi closed for as long as possible.. someitmes i just get the urge to smell them though!

@greg, do you use both or one or the other?

and dave, i did increase it through a few small steps but i dont know if they were too dramatic. i put in my 65%, then after a few weeks did my 65% + water pillow (although im guessing the boveda would keep it the same as it was), then after no success for a month or two i threw in my 84%
[Reply]
longknocker 04:08 AM 07-09-2011
oh wow.. alright i'll try to leave my humi closed for as long as possible.. someitmes i just get the urge to smell them though!

@greg, do you use both or one or the other?

and dave, i did increase it through a few small steps but i dont know if they were too dramatic. i put in my 65%, then after a few weeks did my 65% + water pillow (although im guessing the boveda would keep it the same as it was), then after no success for a month or two i threw in my 84%
You May Have A "Leaky" Humi (Poor Seal). You Should Be Able To Place A Dollar Bill Under The Closed Lid & Pull The Humi Without The Bill Coming Out. I Use Shilala's Beads Primarily & A Few 65% RH Boveda Packs In Each Humi & Coolidor To Get The RH To 63-66. You Shouldn't Need 84% To Maintain RH.
[Reply]
sparkboss 08:48 AM 07-09-2011
well, i'm doing okay holding a RH, the only problem is getting the humidity back into the sticks i've got. most the sticks i have are in pretty bad shape since everything i order takes so long to get here. i've also tested my seal a few times with bobs' 1" drop method, tests nothing but positive :-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 05:20 AM 07-20-2011
Can I stand cigars on end in my humidor, with the foot down or is it best to leave flat?
[Reply]
chippewastud79 06:21 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Can I stand cigars on end in my humidor, with the foot down?
Yes. :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:32 AM 07-20-2011
You can but you risk damaging the foot of the cigar. I wouldn't consider it. I have a few jars and I even lie them on their side.

:-)
[Reply]
racerX 07:24 PM 07-20-2011
For those who freeze to keep the bugs away, do you see any issues with a week long stint in the garage freezer? I have to wait for some beads to arrive.
[Reply]
T.G 07:58 PM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by racerX:
For those who freeze to keep the bugs away, do you see any issues with a week long stint in the garage freezer? I have to wait for some beads to arrive.
Nope. I always freeze for a week, never had an issue with it yet.
[Reply]
racerX 08:08 PM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
Nope. I always freeze for a week, never had an issue with it yet.
Thank you so much for your reply. Big relief.
[Reply]
Hippiebrian 03:01 AM 07-27-2011
I'm a newbie, and so far have read through about 3/4 of this thread, so if I missed a question and am re-posting one :-).

I currently would like to store just a few sticks (say a dozen to 20 or so) at a time while I find my palete (sp?). I'm thinking about buying one of those stoneware jars I se at shops. Will this work well, or would I be better ff with a little tupperdore? The jars have the cool factor, but if the tupper would be better for a month's worth (or so) sticks, I'll use that.

I'm also thinking of eventually setting up a coolerdore, but live in a house where there's no a/c. I'm thinking freezer packs to keep it under 70 degrees when it gets into the 80's in the house. Would that work? Otherwise, I may not ever worry about long term storage, as I love visiting shops and buying a few new sticks at a time anyhow. Part of the experience for me, ya know?

Thanks all!
[Reply]
Cornrow_Wallis 07:12 AM 07-27-2011
Originally Posted by Hippiebrian:
I'm a newbie, and so far have read through about 3/4 of this thread, so if I missed a question and am re-posting one :-).

I currently would like to store just a few sticks (say a dozen to 20 or so) at a time while I find my palete (sp?). I'm thinking about buying one of those stoneware jars I se at shops. Will this work well, or would I be better ff with a little tupperdore? The jars have the cool factor, but if the tupper would be better for a month's worth (or so) sticks, I'll use that.
If the jar seals reasonably well I don't think it would be a problem. I'm guessing those things wouldn't have any sort of weird smell to them, but I don't know for sure. That might be something to look out for.

Originally Posted by Hippiebrian:
I'm also thinking of eventually setting up a coolerdore, but live in a house where there's no a/c. I'm thinking freezer packs to keep it under 70 degrees when it gets into the 80's in the house. Would that work? Otherwise, I may not ever worry about long term storage, as I love visiting shops and buying a few new sticks at a time anyhow. Part of the experience for me, ya know?

Thanks all!
I think the freezer packs would be a pain. I also think that the condensation they give off as they melt would play hell with your humidity, but that is just a guess. I don't know anyone that has tried it.

How hot does your house get? Set up the cooler in the coolest spot you have and freeze all the cigars you buy to minimize the risk of beetles. Here is a thread on how to freeze. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7919

If you keep an eye on craigslist you might be able to score a used wine cooler on the cheap. That is a popular option around here, and sounds like it might work well for you down the road.
[Reply]
Hippiebrian 06:56 PM 07-27-2011
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for a wine fridge, as I probably won't get a big stock for a bit. I share a freezer with a room mate, so really don't have room in there to freeze too many sticks.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the wine fridge works better than a regular one due to the different way it cools, correct? Do those little cheapo fridges cool like a regular one or a wine fridge? Just a thought, as those tiny fridges can be had fairly cheap and would be fairly easy to make seal, if they don't already. I guess the other problem would be if they got too cold even at a higher setting.
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:21 PM 07-27-2011
The wine refrigerators that are best for cigar storage use thermo-electric cooling units. The "standard" refrigerators use a compressor for cooling. Thermo-electric is much better for cooling our cigars and the units generally have less internal condensation.
[Reply]
Page 67 of 138
« First < 1757656667 686977117 > Last »
Up