Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 65 of 225
« First < 1555636465 666775115165 > Last »
Sports>Red's Fans Check in
elderboy02 08:30 AM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Absolutely, Hugh, seems like there were a lot less arm injuries in the days of 4-man rotations and frequent complete games.
One thing to consider is that back in the day there was a lot more foul territory in the stadiums, so less pitches had to be thrown. Today, the stands are right on top of the players (a good thing that allows fans to be closer to the game).
[Reply]
icehog3 10:55 AM 09-01-2010
I dunno, Dan.

For instance, here's some info on my favorite ballplayer of all time, Fergie Jenkins:

Originally Posted by :
For home games, Jenkins would always pitch the marquee matchup on Fridays and would then pitch the following Tuesday. However, if the other team’s rotation shook out so that their ace was pitching on Sunday, well, Jenkins would pitch on the Sunday too – 3 times in one week.

It didn’t stop there. In Jenkins’ day, he would make 40 starts easy. Of those 40 starts, typically 75%, or 30 of them, he would complete. Because he was expected to. He wasn’t getting pulled in the 5th inning because he had pitched 2 days prior and he CERTAINLY wasn’t getting pulled from the game because he had reached the magic number of 100 pitches. Of course he was also throwing his side bullpen sessions on his off days

[Reply]
chippewastud79 12:02 PM 09-01-2010
Isn't calling him a "future Hall of Famerfor sure" prematurely annointing him, Adam? He has thrown all of 8 major league pitches. :-)

I remember the same "future HOFer" talk about Mark Prior. He won 42 games in 6 Major League seasons starting in 2002....he is now pitching for the Orange County Flyers of the Golden Baseball League at age 30.
Hence the :-) although, there are some in this discussion who would believe that he is destined for a Cy Young within a year or two. :-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 12:10 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
One thing to consider is that back in the day there was a lot more foul territory in the stadiums, so less pitches had to be thrown. Today, the stands are right on top of the players (a good thing that allows fans to be closer to the game).
While this may be true, it doesn't do anything to help the argument. There were far more complete games, pitchers throwing well over 100 pitches per outing and coming back on 2 or three days rest. A teams Ace would start over 40 games every season and sometime over 50. Why do you think there hasn't been a 30 game winner in 40 years? Players now are too fragile, playing for too much money and will get put on the DL for a blister on their glove hand. Its hard for a team not to protect their investment, but the players also feel too entitled to not get their regular rest etc. etc. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 04:23 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
While this may be true, it doesn't do anything to help the argument. There were far more complete games, pitchers throwing well over 100 pitches per outing and coming back on 2 or three days rest. A teams Ace would start over 40 games every season and sometime over 50. Why do you think there hasn't been a 30 game winner in 40 years? Players now are too fragile, playing for too much money and will get put on the DL for a blister on their glove hand. Its hard for a team not to protect their investment, but the players also feel too entitled to not get their regular rest etc. etc. :-)
Kinda what I tried to suggest with the Fergie Jenkins example. :-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 04:50 PM 09-01-2010
Kinda what I tried to suggest with the Fergie Jenkins example. :-)
Just adding to it. Dan isn't really a sports fan, just a homer, so he may have not understood who or what you were talking about. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 04:52 PM 09-01-2010
Just adding to it. Dan isn't really a sports fan, just a homer, so he may have not understood who or what you were talking about. :-)
:-) :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 06:47 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by Prozac_Puros:
Congratulations Reds fans, I hope your guys keep playing strong in the playoffs... I'ts to late for the panic button in St. Louis... I honestly don't think the Cardinals can get to the wild card the way they can't hit
It's not over yet. The division looks like a long shot right now, but it's not over. The wild card isn't too far away. A losing streak always looks like the end of the world.
Hence the :-) although, there are some in this discussion who would believe that he is destined for a Cy Young within a year or two. :-)
You mean he's not up for the CY Young this year?:-)
I know Dan's a commie but that was just mean.:-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 07:26 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
I know Dan's a commie but that was just mean.:-)
Reds Win :-) :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 07:51 PM 09-01-2010
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:07 PM 09-01-2010
Reds win! Reds win! :-) 8 games up! :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 08:12 PM 09-01-2010
Reds Win :-) :-)
:-)

It's awesome to see us up 8 games on the Cards. Still not time to get comfortable yet though.
[Reply]
elderboy02 03:23 PM 09-04-2010
Nice HR by Travis Wood! :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 07:13 PM 09-04-2010
Well it's about damn time! BP got a hit against the Cards and we got a win against them as well!
[Reply]
elderboy02 07:24 PM 09-04-2010
Reds win! Reds win! :-)

Lock it up boys, we won the division. That is my stance. Anyone want to bet against me?
[Reply]
icehog3 09:25 PM 09-04-2010

Lock it up boys, we won the division. That is my stance. Anyone want to bet against me?
Really going out on a limb there, Dan. :-) :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:25 PM 09-04-2010

I will bet you that the Blackhawks win the 2010 Stanley Cup.
[Reply]
Starscream 07:34 AM 09-05-2010

I will bet you that the Blackhawks win the 2010 Stanley Cup.
I may take you up on that bet, Admiral.
[Reply]
icehog3 07:44 AM 09-05-2010
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
I may take you up on that bet, Admiral.
Excellent, I will bet everything I own, Andy. :-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 10:49 AM 09-05-2010
Is it possible that the Reds could end up with the only winning record in the division?

Nice to have the only competition in the division tank over the last 20 games. :-)
[Reply]
Page 65 of 225
« First < 1555636465 666775115165 > Last »
Up