Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 63 of 351
« First < 1353616263 646573113163 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>What beers are you enjoying?
Nick 02:39 PM 11-28-2009
Sam Adams Cream Stout is one of my favs when I can find it. I love stouts and porters in general I wish I could find other cream/milk stouts.
Veritas 05:22 PM 11-28-2009
90 Shilling Ale
alfbacca 11:11 PM 11-28-2009
Had my first Rogue Dead Guy Ale, and it certainly won't be my last :-)
ODLS1 01:02 AM 11-29-2009
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous is freaking awesome.
Yes it is.

Had a few Christmas beers, Great Lakes and Rogue were my favorites. I wouldn't want to drink many of any of them though, not my thing. Had a Heavy Seas Peg Leg Imperial Stout tonight, it was decent, although I am very picky about my Stouts.

I also took a keg of my Kentucky Common and American Pale Ale to family Thanksgiving that both got demolished. Everyone loved them both. I need to start brewing more, family functions are killing my pipeline. I never have any beer for myself!
iRiSh 02:38 AM 11-29-2009
far too many of these yesterday

Image:-)
Skywalker 04:00 PM 11-30-2009
Kona Pipeline Porter!!!:-)
BlackDog 06:51 PM 11-30-2009
Had a Furthermore Knot Stock with dinner. Very interesting beer. It's an IPA that is brewed with the addition of pepper corns. There is a definite taste of pepper around the hops.
physiognomy 07:13 PM 11-30-2009
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale tonight...
avid toker 02:35 AM 12-01-2009
Bintang and Anker
MikeyC 05:57 AM 12-01-2009
Had a Southern Tier Unearthly last night. Not a bad beer but not really my thing. I prefer my IPAs with more grapefruit flavor and this one had more of a "cat piss" thing going on. Also, the first flavor hitting my palate was a strong almost bourbon like sweetness. This beer had a good amount of body too.

All-in-all a decent IPA just not really what I look for.
rizzle 10:37 AM 12-01-2009
I'm not like a beer connoisseur by any means and I typically stay in the liquor and wine realms, but for some reason I decided to pick up a couple 750's of Chimay Grande Reserve a while back. Wow. Just unbelievable. How have I missed this all these years? Now every time I'm in the liquor store I grab at least one.

If I love the taste of that, what else might some of you guys suggest? Any of the other Trappist ales compare tastewise?
kaisersozei 02:37 PM 12-01-2009
Originally Posted by rizzle:
I'm not like a beer connoisseur by any means and I typically stay in the liquor and wine realms, but for some reason I decided to pick up a couple 750's of Chimay Grande Reserve a while back. Wow. Just unbelievable. How have I missed this all these years? Now every time I'm in the liquor store I grab at least one.

If I love the taste of that, what else might some of you guys suggest? Any of the other Trappist ales compare tastewise?
It's been a long time since I've had a Chimay, but I recall it being very good. I'll let others who are more familiar with Trappist styles chime in on suggestions for you. I've had Ommegang, Delirium, Duvel and Three Philosophers. All were great, not sure how similar they are to Chimay--I think they are different styles.

Here's a British stout I tried this weekend:

A bit thin & dry for my tastes in stouts.
hornitosmonster 07:17 PM 12-01-2009

Chimay Grande Reserve is a very good beer. I also recommend picking up some Rochefort 6, 8, or 10.

The Holy Grail of this style is Westvleteren 12 (not available in the states, but then again, neither are Cuban Cigars)

My Bevmo sells Magnums of Chimay Grande Reserve, thinking about picking one up for New Years Eve.
BlackDog 08:52 PM 12-01-2009
Rizzle, here are a couple links that list other similar beers. The first link is for beers like your Chimay Grand Reserve, normally referred to as "triples." The second link is for very similar, but slightly lighter Belgian ales, normally called "dubbles."

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/56

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/57

I would also suggest that you check out some of the gift packs available this time of year in better beer/liquor stores. Ommegang has a holiday gift pack of 3 Belgian-style ales (750ml), plus a flute, for about $25. This is a good value and excellent beer. Unibroue also has a 4 pack, one each of their 4 best selling beers (330ml), for about $10.

Definitely try the Rochefort 8, it's a real treat.
Sauer Grapes 08:55 PM 12-01-2009
Furious again... thanks to... you know who you are...
BlackDog 09:02 PM 12-01-2009
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Furious again... thanks to... you know who you are...
I had some tonight too. Love that pine & grapefruit flavor. :-)
rizzle 08:43 AM 12-02-2009
Awesome. Thanks guys. :-)
kaisersozei 10:03 AM 12-02-2009
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
Arrange a trade with a west coast brother. They can't buy DFH, Great Lakes, or Southern Tier out there.
Ok, I finally decided to make this offer:

I'm interested in making a sticks-for-sticks cigar trade with a SoCal inmate. I plan to add a 4 pack of Dogfish Head brews (Punkin Ale, 60 Minute IPA, 90 Minute IPA and a Burton Baton) as tag-alongs. It would be really really really great if this SoCal inmate would add a few Russian River Brewery beers--most interested in Pliny the Elder (maybe even Pliny the Younger & Blind Pig)--as "tag-alongs" in their end of the trade. :-)

If you're interested, send me a PM. :-)
hornitosmonster 07:19 PM 12-02-2009
Today I picked up

1 Bomber of Life and Limb
1 Bomber of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale
1 Bomber of Union Jack India Pale Ale
BlackDog 08:50 PM 12-02-2009
Drank a Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale earlier. Now drinking a Corsendonk Christmas Ale.
Page 63 of 351
« First < 1353616263 646573113163 > Last »
Up