Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 60 of 350
« First < 1050585960 616270110160 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
Mugen910 02:51 PM 02-13-2009
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
another one would be flutter kicks:
Start by lying flat on your back on a mat with your arms by your sides and your palms down. Extend your legs fully with a slight bend in your knees. Lift your heels about 6 inches off the floor. Make small, rapid up and down scissor-like motions with your legs. The key is to focus on having your midsection do the work and to keep your abs constantly contracted throughout the exercise.

also Roman chair sit ups
So uhm..every phucken exercise I hated doing in the Marines? :-)

Originally Posted by The Professor:
With all due respect to Perry's suggestions, I think the kinds of compound movements Frank is talking about are more like real squats and deadlifts -- movements that involve more than body weight and develop your "core" when you're doing them right.
:-)
Genetic Defect 02:52 PM 02-13-2009
With all due respect to Perry's suggestions, I think the kinds of compound movements Frank is talking about are more like real squats and deadlifts -- movements that involve more than body weight and develop your "core" when you're doing them right.
true, but doing exercises that target the core are more effective, that is like doing chest and forgetting about any tri work outs. :-) I hope you get what I tried to say :-)
Genetic Defect 02:53 PM 02-13-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
So uhm..every phucken exercise I hated doing in the Marines? :-)

:-) Unfortunately Bao that is true, remember what shape you were in after all that?
Mugen910 03:00 PM 02-13-2009
:-) Unfortunately Bao that is true, remember what shape you were in after all that?
Then=Lean, Mean, Killing Machine!
Now= Not Lean, Not Mean, Cheeseburger Killing machine! :-)
Genetic Defect 03:01 PM 02-13-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
Then=Lean, Mean, Killing Machine!
Now= Not Lean, Not Mean, Cheeseburger Killing machine! :-)
:-) time to get back to "basics"
The Professor 03:02 PM 02-13-2009
true, but doing exercises that target the core are more effective, that is like doing chest and forgetting about any tri work outs. :-) I hope you get what I tried to say :-)
I get what you're saying; but that's why doing them "right" makes them compound exercises. :-)

Take the bench, for example. If you do it like a lot of the mirror boys, you're keeping your back flat(ter), elbows out, and isolating your pecs. If you're doing them like a powerlifter ("right" :-)), you're using your legs, abs, pecs, tris, shoulders, lats, and more. You're not isolating ... but I think that's Frank's point.
Genetic Defect 03:11 PM 02-13-2009
I get what you're saying; but that's why doing them "right" makes them compound exercises. :-)

Take the bench, for example. If you do it like a lot of the mirror boys, you're keeping your back flat(ter), elbows out, and isolating your pecs. If you're doing them like a powerlifter ("right" :-)), you're using your legs, abs, pecs, tris, shoulders, lats, and more. You're not isolating ... but I think that's Frank's point.
Frank's only point is his head (haha) true but I still feel targeting those muscles work better for strength though not fat burning
Pete 03:40 PM 02-13-2009
the mirror boys

BigFrank 05:08 PM 02-13-2009
Oh jeez I started a debate LOL :-)
Prof is on target with me on this one. Isolating with body weight is far less compared compound movements done with even moderate weight.

Dont worry Bao, I went from a athlete to a cheeseburger killing machine also. lol
Chris. 08:02 PM 02-13-2009
I did some Russian twists on the decline sit up bench today with a 5lb medicine ball above my head as part of my ab workout. Today was the first day in months I've worked my abs. Main focus was back and chest. wide grip pull-ups, incline bench, flat bench, abs. The ab workout got my hip flexors so tight that I could barely walk. I had like a 1ft stride. Gotta start working them some more.
Genetic Defect 08:59 PM 02-13-2009
I lift like a mirror boy, I don't arch my back or use my legs when benching. Where is Gerry?
BigFrank 09:31 PM 02-13-2009
I lift like a mirror boy, I don't arch my back or use my legs when benching. Where is Gerry?
I dont see anything wrong with doing bench in that fashion. If you are truly seeking isolation than more power to you on that. Others, and myself included feel that basic exercises such as the bench press, are more beneficial for everyone done more as a compound movement, with traditional form. Also many people will argue that compound movements, done improperly or tweaked to be performed as an isolation type exercise do more harm than good. Example being, bench pressing with a wide grip and elbows flared.

My big argument has always been, performing 1 exercise more effectively than say 3, is more beneficial in so many ways.
zemekone 10:22 PM 02-13-2009
you rang?
Genetic Defect 10:33 PM 02-13-2009
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
I dont see anything wrong with doing bench in that fashion. If you are truly seeking isolation than more power to you on that. Others, and myself included feel that basic exercises such as the bench press, are more beneficial for everyone done more as a compound movement, with traditional form. Also many people will argue that compound movements, done improperly or tweaked to be performed as an isolation type exercise do more harm than good. Example being, bench pressing with a wide grip and elbows flared.

My big argument has always been, performing 1 exercise more effectively than say 3, is more beneficial in so many ways.
I'm not sure what flared elboys are, but I always keep strict form when lifting swinging bouncing and arching are cheats to me :-)
Originally Posted by zemekone:
you rang?
Was hoping to get your view on this little debate we got going :-) the squats for core ,isolated vs compound etc. If you rather not get drawn in I understand:-)
zemekone 10:46 PM 02-13-2009
i bench arched back, drive with legs, and elbows in...
Genetic Defect 10:48 PM 02-13-2009
I wonder if I'm in the minority on certain techniques? I guess I have more reading to do :-)
Mugen910 11:44 PM 02-13-2009
Originally Posted by Chris.:
The ab workout got my hip flexors so tight that I could barely walk. I had like a 1ft stride. Gotta start working them some more.
I usually walk like that if I need to do a #2 :-)

Great debate/info guys...I love the knowledge being thrown around!:-)
BigFrank 07:40 AM 02-14-2009
I wonder if I'm in the minority on certain techniques? I guess I have more reading to do :-)
I wouldnt say you are in the minority about it. There are a lot of people who are proponents of isolation type movements. There are many different schools of thought on everything. What it really boils down to is what you are training for.
Everyone loves a little debate.
icehog3 08:43 AM 02-14-2009
I wouldnt say you are in the minority about it. There are a lot of people who are proponents of isolation type movements. There are many different schools of thought on everything. What it really boils down to is what you are training for.
That, Frank, and I would add "instinctive training" or training through experience to the equation. People respond differently to the same movements, so you need to find out what works best for you.
Genetic Defect 09:55 AM 02-14-2009
The cool thing is Frank while we debate others learn and we remain fratelli :-)
Page 60 of 350
« First < 1050585960 616270110160 > Last »
Up