Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 6 of 18
« First < 456 7816 > Last »
General Discussion>iPhone 5
mithrilG60 12:30 PM 09-12-2012
Watched the event, pretty much a yawn. The days of revolutionary launches with the iPhone/iPad/iPod are behind us. All 3 are mature products so the version changes will now be evolutionary instead to ensure the brand and revenue streams remain unruffled.

Big upgrade from a 3Gs, decent enough from a 4, certainly not worth it if you have a 4s....
[Reply]
DPD6030 01:25 PM 09-12-2012
Most likely going to upgrade from the 3gs to the 5 since the 5 is $199 for the 16gb and that's all I really need.
[Reply]
chaase321 01:40 PM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
Most likely going to upgrade from the 3gs to the 5 since the 5 is $199 for the 16gb and that's all I really need.
This ^ but not until December.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:48 PM 09-12-2012
Yah I was extremely underwhelmed and will wait to see what tech geeks say once they get their hands on it. I am not impressed currently and am considering going to a Samsung or other new device. I am an iPhone whore or have been until now, but will wait until I see more.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 03:01 PM 09-12-2012
meh, it is what it is. There's nothing particularly revolutionary about any of the new Droid phones either. They are all rectangular devices with glass faces that can place phone calls, provide internet/navigational services and act as a gaming platform.

Apple's realised that the mobile device field has matured to the same point as the PC market in many ways.... it's target customer doesn't care about the technical specs of their phone just as they don't really care what the proc speed and ram cache level is of their PC; they care about apps, familiarity, branding and that it just works when they want it to. That's what the iDevices will be about for the next several generations. Droid hardware makers will continue appealing to the techno-geeks like they always have by claiming the latest and greatest hardware. but Droid itself will soon too realize that all the hardware on the market is now so advanced that it's almost immaterial to the phone experience.
[Reply]
longknocker 05:13 PM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by aich75013:
Pricing (with contract):
16GB $199
32GB $299
64GB $399

Pre-order the 14th. Shipping starts the 21st.

4 Free w/ contract
4S $99 w/ contract
Thanks, Brother!:-):-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:18 PM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
meh, it is what it is. There's nothing particularly revolutionary about any of the new Droid phones either. They are all rectangular devices with glass faces that can place phone calls, provide internet/navigational services and act as a gaming platform.

Apple's realised that the mobile device field has matured to the same point as the PC market in many ways.... it's target customer doesn't care about the technical specs of their phone just as they don't really care what the proc speed and ram cache level is of their PC; they care about apps, familiarity, branding and that it just works when they want it to. That's what the iDevices will be about for the next several generations. Droid hardware makers will continue appealing to the techno-geeks like they always have by claiming the latest and greatest hardware. but Droid itself will soon too realize that all the hardware on the market is now so advanced that it's almost immaterial to the phone experience.
Very nice summary. I have a 4 and thought about upgrading IF the new 5 was a big step beyond what I currently have. I just don't see it. Since I bought my iPad I use the phone less so the 5 needed to really to offer a lot more than it has. That's ok, more money left for cigars.
[Reply]
floydpink 06:55 PM 09-12-2012
I've got a couple offers for $200 for my current iPhone 4, so I will be getting a free upgrade and definitely see benefits in the 5 over the 4, like faster processor and bigger screen.

Nothing overly exciting, but enough to make me jump.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 07:33 PM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Very nice summary. I have a 4 and thought about upgrading IF the new 5 was a big step beyond what I currently have. I just don't see it. Since I bought my iPad I use the phone less so the 5 needed to really to offer a lot more than it has. That's ok, more money left for cigars.
I bought my wife and I 4s' at full retail from the AppleStore last year. We both travel internationally a couple times a year so being able to buy and use local SIM's wherever we are is huge, the Vodaphone kiosk will be the first or second stop in the Auckland airport this Sunday for example. We're both due for a contract renewal next Feb and unless they're given to us free there's zero advantage to paying $200 for a carrier-locked iPhone 5. If thry're free I'll take them and sell them on Craigslist and continue to use our 4s'.
[Reply]
Taki 08:10 PM 09-12-2012
Couldn't agree more with what the last few posts have said....just expected more :-)
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 08:41 PM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
Watched the event, pretty much a yawn. The days of revolutionary launches with the iPhone/iPad/iPod are behind us. All 3 are mature products so the version changes will now be evolutionary instead to ensure the brand and revenue streams remain unruffled.

Big upgrade from a 3Gs, decent enough from a 4, certainly not worth it if you have a 4s....
Originally Posted by floydpink:
I've got a couple offers for $200 for my current iPhone 4, so I will be getting a free upgrade and definitely see benefits in the 5 over the 4, like faster processor and bigger screen.

Nothing overly exciting, but enough to make me jump.
Pete has it correct. We will get our phones factory unlocked (the wife's 4 and my 4s) and then sell them to pay for most of the upgrade, if not in its entirety.

As long as you can get the subsidized price and you don't mind the contract extension, you can pretty much do the same every time. I'm more or less still using the same money I used for the original iPhone.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 11:15 PM 09-12-2012
I'm buying my Wife an iPhone for Christmas (With my upgrade since she let me use hers to get my iPhone.) I'm really glad that the 5 came out, because it dropped the price of the 4s, which is what she's getting. No use in getting her the newest, because she honestly doesn't give a ****. Plus, I can buy her more this way... and by that I mean Cigars for myself.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 03:15 AM 09-13-2012
On the bright side, iOS6 comes out next Wednesday for everyone else :-)
[Reply]
irratebass 04:00 AM 09-13-2012
I watched this today

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upgrade-...76.html?_esi=1
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 07:12 AM 09-13-2012
Originally Posted by irratebass:
I watched this today

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upgrade-...76.html?_esi=1
This quote pretty much summed up my feelings:
"Wow, welcome to 2011 Apple. LTE capable! 4 inch screen! That's awesome!"
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:55 AM 09-13-2012
I am really looking forward to ugrading my 4 to a 5! I am looking forward to the new screen, lighter, slimmer, faster phone.

As for 4G/LTE that is still a myth for most of us. If you look at true 4G/LTE coverage for all carriers you'll find that it is pretty spotty. Most of have 3G and will have 3G for a long time... I will want 4G when it is ubiquitous enough to make a difference for me...
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:04 AM 09-13-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I am really looking forward to ugrading my 4 to a 5! I am looking forward to the new screen, lighter, slimmer, faster phone.

As for 4G/LTE that is still a myth for most of us. If you look at true 4G/LTE coverage for all carriers you'll find that it is pretty spotty. Most of have 3G and will have 3G for a long time... I will want 4G when it is ubiquitous enough to make a difference for me...
I live in the middle of nowhere and we have AT&T & Verizon 4G since a couple months ago. Maybe because we are about an hour from Philly?

I am growing more fond of the new iPhone the more I look at the Galaxy 3S. While I love the screen size more on the Galaxy, I hate the droid OS. I suppose the OS is more important to me than screen size overall. I will come around Michael!
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 08:27 AM 09-13-2012
I'm looking forward to upgrading from the 4 to 5 as well. I've had my 4 since the day before the launch and recently my battery life has went way down. I'll put my 4 up for sale once I have the new phone in hand and probably recoup most of what it costs me to upgrade.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:37 AM 09-13-2012
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:
I'm looking forward to upgrading from the 4 to 5 as well. I've had my 4 since the day before the launch and recently my battery life has went way down. I'll put my 4 up for sale once I have the new phone in hand and probably recoup most of what it costs me to upgrade.
I found a site that will buy my iPhone 4 from me -- http://www.gazelle.com

They will give me $220 for it. My phone is a little less than 3 months old (new warranty replacement).
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 09:39 AM 09-13-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I found a site that will buy my iPhone 4 from me -- http://www.gazelle.com

They will give me $220 for it. My phone is a little less than 3 months old (new warranty replacement).
They will only give me $50 for my 4 due to a small crack on one of the corners.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 18
« First < 456 7816 > Last »
Up