Page 6 of 7
« First < 456 7 >
All Cigar Discussion>Ever Wondered Plume Or Mold
ziggy4112003 08:31 AM 12-11-2012
110 percent mold
[Reply]
T.G 08:32 AM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by kickerb:

My local B&M swears up and down that this is plume. Thoughts?
Thoughts?
Your B&M operators are full of crap or complete morons. That's mold.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:39 AM 12-11-2012
My local B&M swears up and down that this is plume. Thoughts?
Thoughts?
Your local B&M is either clueless or blowing smoke up your a$$.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:40 AM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Thoughts?
Your B&M operators are full of crap or complete morons. That's mold.
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Thoughts?
Your local B&M is either clueless or blowing smoke up your a$$.
:-)
[Reply]
kickerb 08:41 AM 12-11-2012
No, he is dead serious. To the point he called his local LFD rep, who then also confirmed it was plume.

I just thought it was a very good example of mold and thought I would share it with the forum.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:42 AM 12-11-2012
No, he is dead stupid. To the point he called his local LFD rep, who then also confirmed it was plume.
Fixed.
And so is the LFD rep.
[Reply]
T.G 08:52 AM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
:-)
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:02 AM 12-11-2012
Remind me to fire the LFD rep in the morning.
[Reply]
T.G 09:05 AM 12-11-2012
No, he is dead serious. To the point he called his local LFD rep, who then also confirmed it was plume.
Mistaking mold for plume is, unfortunately, a somewhat common occurrence, and while this sort of mistake is unfortunate for the average J. Doe that goes into a cigar store to buy their 2 cigars a month, for the proprietor of a B&M, or worse, a cigar rep, to adamantly believe that mold is plume, the ignorance is inexcusable.
[Reply]
Zane 09:07 AM 12-11-2012
Mistaking mold for plume is, unfortunately, a somewhat common occurrence, and while this sort of mistake is unfortunate for the average J. Doe that goes into a cigar store to buy their 2 cigars a month, for the proprietor of a B&M, or worse, a cigar rep, to adamantly believe that mold is plume, the ignorance is inexcusable.
I can't imagine anyone no matter how new you are to cigars could confuse that with plume... I mean if I found a loaf of bread with those same exact spots I wouldn't try and pretend it wasn't mold.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:08 AM 12-11-2012
Or the lying, either way.
[Reply]
T.G 09:22 AM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by ZaneG:
I can't imagine anyone no matter how new you are to cigars could confuse that with plume... I mean if I found a loaf of bread with those same exact spots I wouldn't try and pretend it wasn't mold.

You might, but there are a lot of people who don't make the connection.

Most people associate mold with a darker colored growth. Green, blueish, black, somewhere in that spectrum. A lot of people forget, or never know, that mold comes in white (slice a tomato and leave it out) and many other colors too.

Then they hear legends and stories of this elusive, almost mythical whitish thing called "plume" that supposedly does magical things to cigars, so they search for it. Sometimes the descriptions they are given are incorrect, sometimes they are vague, so when they finally run across a cigar with some kind of **** stuck on it, they fly right past the "hey wait a second, this looks kind of odd..." and go into rejoice mode, and so the legend propagates.

...or they are just f-ing retarded.
[Reply]
Zane 09:27 AM 12-11-2012
You might, but there are a lot of people who don't make the connection.

Most people associate mold with a darker colored growth. Green, blueish, black, somewhere in that spectrum. A lot of people forget, or never know, that mold comes in white (slice a tomato and leave it out) and many other colors too.

Then they hear legends and stories of this elusive, almost mythical whitish thing called "plume" that supposedly does magical things to cigars, so they search for it. Sometimes the descriptions they are given are incorrect, sometimes they are vague, so when they finally run across a cigar with some kind of **** stuck on it, they fly right past the "hey wait a second, this looks kind of odd..." and go into rejoice mode, and so the legend propagates.

...or they are just f-ing retarded.
Agreed. Boggles the mind.
[Reply]
T.G 09:27 AM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Or the lying, either way.
Agreed.

I will say though, that I have actually met B&M owners/operators who honestly didn't know the difference between mold and plume.

One of them even thought that "maduro" was a type/strain of tobacco.
[Reply]
gbum 10:08 AM 12-11-2012
some guy show this in fb cigar group...

im pretty sure its mold by looking at the furry part... but the rest said the other way...

well i just walk away from that discussion...
[Reply]
PearlS4 10:10 AM 12-11-2012
Looks like mold to me.
[Reply]
Robulous78 10:17 AM 12-11-2012
I have never encountered plume but from what I have been told its like a powdered sugar distributed ALL over a cigar...

When sticks have perfectly rounded growths (colonies I believe is the term) it should be pretty easy to identify it as mold...

If my B & M operator tried to sell me sticks like those from above I would kindly leave... and never return...
[Reply]
dubleuhb 10:17 AM 12-11-2012
Not sure I would purchase from him. That is ugly.
[Reply]
omowasu 10:43 AM 12-11-2012
I agree that if you have to ask, its mold. Mold, mold, mold... A local B&M near me runs a humidifier in their humidor constantly, and all of the cigars in its vicinity are moldy. Some of the guys say it is plume. It is definitely not.

Whether to smoke a moldy stick is a personal decision - if it were me anything more than a small spot is too much...
[Reply]
Brandon 05:16 AM 12-12-2012
If it is raised, it is mold.

If it is very splotchy, it is mold.

Plume is distributed evenly, and sparkles under a light.

There are well known vendors that don't even know the difference.

Here is a video showing plume (on a 1970's cigar).

[Reply]
Page 6 of 7
« First < 456 7 >
Up