Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 6 of 13
« First < 456 78 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>DBall's Newb Blind Taste Test Thread #2
DBall 06:02 PM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by Montano:
Perhaps that's a good thing, since I probably couldn't afford them :-)

Shizz.. they are typically cheaper than NCs. That one was $4.52... :-)
[Reply]
NeuRon 06:12 PM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:
Shizz.. they are typically cheaper than NCs.

True Statement...

but by all means, continue to hate the habanos.. :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 06:15 PM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by BigRonS:
True Statement...

but by all means, continue to hate the habanos.. :-)

More for us:-)
[Reply]
Riff Raff 01:42 PM 03-01-2010
Numero cinco is up!
[Reply]
Ferrari5180 04:39 PM 03-01-2010
It fascinates me how the both of you have completely different experiences and tastes. Keep up the good work and the interesting posts.
[Reply]
Montano 07:10 AM 03-02-2010
Originally Posted by Riff Raff:
Numero cinco is up!
I just need to upload the pics and I'll be done also. Hopefully this afternoon...
[Reply]
Riff Raff 07:10 AM 03-04-2010
:-)
[Reply]
DBall 07:15 AM 03-04-2010
Yup... they are both in my inbox. Gotta run to the doctors office and I'll put em up after that.
[Reply]
ir13 10:23 AM 03-04-2010
Yup... they are both in my inbox. Gotta run to the doctors office and I'll put em up after that.
:-) :-)
[Reply]
Riff Raff 10:28 AM 03-04-2010
Works for me. Good luck at the Dr.'s Office!
[Reply]
DBall 11:52 AM 03-04-2010
Montano Cigar #5

This was a light colored cigar with a somewhat veiny wrapper. Per-light draw was a touch on the tight side. I got notes of meaty tobacco.

The first draw fills my mouth with a very nice caramel flavor. I'm instantly reminded of the See's Caramel Chews that I love so much. I think this one is gonna be good !

The draw remains a bit tight, so I used my poker to try and get things going. As I moved to the 2nd third of this cigar, the very nice chewy caramel flavor remains. I'm not getting a ton of smoke, but what I do get is very flavorful.

The burn was nice and even, and quite slow. I was taking my time with this one and really enjoying each draw. As I moved towards the final 3rd, the caramel flavor started to give way to a nice vanilla note.

This was a very enjoyable smoke. The flavor profile was one that I could go for time after time. I consider it a mild smoke with lots of flavor.

I give this baby an 8.5
[Reply]
DBall 11:53 AM 03-04-2010
Riff Raff Cigar #5

Okay, the halfway point. Here we go:

Not exactly a gorgeous stick, but not horrible either. A bit rustic with a natural wrapper that is a bit toothy nearer the foot. My calibrated eyeball estimates it to be about a 6" X 42. There are some nicks in the wrapper and there is a small wrinkle from when it was wrapped.

Pre-light: Nice firm draw that tastes of hay.

First light: Some hay flavors and a slight hint of toast. There is a nice dark gray ash and lots of smoke.

1/3rd: A bit of an uneven burn but no big deal. Not much flavor to this puppy. Maybe a hint of pepper. On the retro-hale there is a bit of cedar present also in the background there is a very light fragrance of chlorine. Yeah, like a pool in the spring. Just a hint though. Strange.

2/3rd: Some sweet tobacco flavors and a bit of pepper. Still not much flavor. On the retro-hale still cedar with a bit of an oily flavor. Pretty uneventful so far.

3/3rd: Still some sweet tobacco and little else. Maybe some grassy notes coming through with some oil on the finish. The burn started to freak out a bit at the end.

Overall impression: Meh! Yeah, just meh. There really is nothing much to this mild cigar. It wasn't a bad smoke. Just boring. I give it an 8.2

There you have it!
[Reply]
DBall 12:01 PM 03-04-2010
What they smoked:

2001 Juan Lopez Corona

Montano score: 8.5
Riff Raff score: 8.2

I'm glad there's nearly consensus on at least one cigar finally. The first one of these I was gifted blew my mind, grabbed a handful of boxes and got the same 'meh' impression Riff Raff did with some of them.

Sometimes, though, they shine.
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 12:35 PM 03-04-2010
Interesting how the flavor profile is different for both the testers. I think this is a good thing because it does probably encompass what a larger test group would find.

Nice reviews guys. and thanks to Dan for the cigars.:-)

[Reply]
Riff Raff 02:37 PM 03-04-2010
[b]What they smoked:

The first one of these I was gifted blew my mind, grabbed a handful of boxes and got the same 'meh' impression Riff Raff did with some of them.

Sometimes, though, they shine.
Well I am just glad it wasn't my taste buds on the fritz!:-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 02:53 PM 03-04-2010
I'm just jealous of Nick's green grass!

Nice reviews guys, keep 'em comin'! :-)
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 03:04 PM 03-04-2010
ERDM
LGC
Fonseca
RyJ
JL

You saving the Gorilla finger for #10 Dan? :-)

:-)
[Reply]
Barteur 06:39 PM 03-04-2010
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
I'm just jealous of Nick's green grass!

Nice reviews guys, keep 'em comin'! :-)
X2 was thinking the same, looking at the pictures. Keep on doing the good work folks.
[Reply]
MTBAlex 10:27 PM 03-04-2010
I love the pictures of these reviews. It makes reading the review so so much better. Dball you are very generous with the cigs. All the cigs seem all seem to be aged and rare (at least from this noob's perspective).
[Reply]
DBall 11:30 PM 03-04-2010
Originally Posted by MTBAlex:
I love the pictures of these reviews. It makes reading the review so so much better. Dball you are very generous with the cigs. All the cigs seem all seem to be aged and rare (at least from this noob's perspective).
Well... there's probably gonna be another one after this as these seem to be fun and engaging threads. Why don't you practice some reviews and perhaps you'll be the next guy having to suffer through dog rockets like these... :-)
[Reply]
Page 6 of 13
« First < 456 78 > Last »
Up