Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 6 of 20
« First < 456 7816 > Last »
General Discussion>Ask The Rabbi!!
TomHagen 06:24 PM 05-19-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Keeping the Rabbi busy!!!!! Just checkin to see if you are doing okay today?
Baruch HaShem!! Been a little under the weather all week, so not so much cigar smoking. I have been making some contacts for fundraising for my new project, so that is good.
[Reply]
TomHagen 06:29 PM 05-19-2009
Originally Posted by ade06:
I think you did a good job answering the question, but I the ghost I was refering to can be defined as "The spirit of a dead person, especially one believed to appear in bodily likeness to living persons or to haunt former habitats."

Then, yes, there can be to quote you: "the spirit of a dead person, especially one believed to appear in bodily likeness to living persons...", many very righteous people see their ancestors in this way and this is deemed positive, while it can be frightening/awe inspiring.

Everything except for the 'haunt' part. That is more like the aforementioned 'dybukk', which is much different, where a soul would possess a person, G-d forbid. This rarely happens.
[Reply]
TomHagen 06:31 PM 05-19-2009
Originally Posted by htown:
Is it kosher to eat Bacos?
Yes. They usually have a hecksher (a Jewish symbol of Kosher certification), so if they have that, it is okay.
[Reply]
ActionAndy 06:37 PM 05-19-2009
Originally Posted by TomHagen:
Then, yes, there can be to quote you: "the spirit of a dead person, especially one believed to appear in bodily likeness to living persons...", many very righteous people see their ancestors in this way and this is deemed positive, while it can be frightening/awe inspiring.

Everything except for the 'haunt' part. That is more like the aforementioned 'dybukk', which is much different, where a soul would possess a person, G-d forbid. This rarely happens.

So more on possession--Do you have a ritual for exorcisms?
[Reply]
TomHagen 06:43 PM 05-19-2009
Originally Posted by Tio Gato:
Hello Rabbi, I hope you are well.

When I was studying to be a chef I had many lessons in "Food Safety".
One of my chef instructors mentioned that many dietary laws from different religions are based on what is safe to eat and what is not. (Considering the days of little science and no refrigeration.)

My question is, when people ask you why something is or is not Kosher and how did these things get that way, is there a resource you direct them too? Perhaps a website or book that explains why. (Such as no shellfish, because we know shellfish from contaminated water can kill you.)

As a chef and a fat man that loves food, the Kosher dietary laws have always fascinated me. I hope you can point me in the right direction as to the why.

Thank you so much.:-)

Firstly, let us not confuse human rationalization for the existance of Kosher dietary laws (or any other G-d given Law in the Torah), with the true reason the law was given. The Laws of the Torah were given by G-d to the Jewish people to observe because they are His Will, certain laws we can understand perfectly (aka "Don't Steal", "Don't Kill" etc.), others we can kinda understand (keep Shabbos - a day of rest), still others we have no logistical explanation according to human logic, we only know the spiritual ramifications. Kosher laws really fall into the last category. So we need to be careful when trying to come up with human rationalizations for Divine commandments. So there might not be a "Why?"...

ahhhhhhhhh... that being said a good place to start is probably here:http://http://www.chabad.org/generic...ish/Kosher.htm and this book might be the best in english for Kosher laws
The Laws Of Kashrus
A comprehensive exposition of their underlying concepts and application
By Rabbi Binyomin Forst

and the best Kosher cookbook is

Spice and Spirit: The Complete Kosher Jewish Cookbook (A Kosher living classic) Esther Blau

Hope this helps.
[Reply]
TomHagen 06:45 PM 05-19-2009
Originally Posted by ActionAndy:
So more on possession--Do you have a ritual for exorcisms?
No. Only truly righteous Rabbi's - Tzaddikim have healed those afflicted with a dybukk. Since the learning of the Chassidus of the Baal Shem Tov has truly permeated the world, many negative forces have been nullified, so these instances rarely, if ever, occur anymore.
[Reply]
TomHagen 06:50 PM 05-19-2009
I would like to post an anonymous question...

Rabbi -

I have seen you have been extremely busy answering everyone's questions and you do a great job of answering every single one so here is mine:

What is your address?

I would like to send you a special bomb of my favorite cigar that tastes like 7-year old Madagascar vanilla and some ol' Cuban Davidoff I just happen to have lying around...

j/k:-)
[Reply]
TomHagen 06:52 PM 05-19-2009
we are on page 6 with 100 plus posts already...

:-)

keep 'em comin'
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 07:34 PM 05-19-2009
I would like to post an anonymous question...

Rabbi -

I have seen you have been extremely busy answering everyone's questions and you do a great job of answering every single one so here is mine:

What is your address?

I would like to send you a special bomb of my favorite cigar that tastes like 7-year old Madagascar vanilla and some ol' Cuban Davidoff I just happen to have lying around...

j/k:-)
Ahem...I have it.... :-) Only in the interest of showing our appreciation to a fabulous teacher!!!

we are on page 6 with 100 plus posts already...

keep 'em comin'
This is great! I know we have more questions to ask!!!
[Reply]
wrench turner 85 07:46 PM 05-19-2009
I got a question Rabbi, "How far is heaven"
[Reply]
TomHagen 07:56 PM 05-19-2009
Originally Posted by wrench turner 85:
in the words of the hairband Warrant:

"Heaven isn't too far away, it gets closer to me every day, no matter what your friends might say, we'll find our way"

or

500 spiritual years to the first firmament
[Reply]
blugill 07:57 PM 05-19-2009
Do the Jewish have an eschatology similar to Christian eschatology?
[Reply]
wrench turner 85 08:02 PM 05-19-2009
in the words of the hairband Warrant:

"Heaven isn't too far away, it gets closer to me every day, no matter what your friends might say, we'll find our way"

or

500 spiritual years to the first firmament
Maybe the Los lonely boys need to read the words of the wise Rabbi>:-)
[Reply]
M1903A1 08:05 PM 05-19-2009
Who/what was Moloch?
[Reply]
AllOGistics 08:50 PM 05-19-2009
First, this is a great thread Rabbi! I have been gone for a week; this is the first thread I've caught up on.

I was reading an interview and the interviewee is Jewish. They kept referring to zedeka (sp?). I'm sure that I didn't spell that right, and I think that there was a "T" in there somewhere. From the context, it sounded like the word refers to charity or PIF. Is this correct? Sorry again for the spelling errors.
[Reply]
Starscream 08:56 PM 05-19-2009
Question sent via pm
[Reply]
TomHagen 09:04 PM 05-19-2009
Maybe the Los lonely boys need to read the words of the wise Rabbi>:-)

Perhaps.
[Reply]
TomHagen 09:06 PM 05-19-2009
Originally Posted by blugill:
Do the Jewish have an eschatology similar to Christian eschatology?
Yes there is phrophesy about the ''end of days", and No it is not similiar.
[Reply]
TomHagen 09:09 PM 05-19-2009
Originally Posted by M1903A1:
Who/what was Moloch?
A Moloch is the term in hebrew for an Angel. yet, the common concept of Angel is not the same as the Jewish concept of a Moloch (or Malach) angel.
[Reply]
htown 09:11 PM 05-19-2009
How do the concepts differ?

A Moloch is the term in hebrew for an Angel. yet, the common concept of Angel is not the same as the Jewish concept of a Moloch (or Malach) angel.

[Reply]
Page 6 of 20
« First < 456 7816 > Last »
Up