Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 6 of 45
« First < 456 7816 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>stirring the pot local B&M vs big internet
14holestogie 06:12 PM 02-24-2009
I don't know diddly about cigars or wine, but if we're going to start talking Windex, I am all over that. I have an uncle who's neighbor's third cousin's sister-in law was at the factory when they were mixing up the lot for Costco and they were putting a paler blue die into that batch than what you'll see from your mom n pop store down the block. :-)
Taboo Cigars 06:17 PM 02-24-2009
I see everyone is reading this thread so I just wanted to say, "HELLO"!:-)

Rob:-)

Genetic Defect 11:58 PM 02-24-2009
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
Maybe you should try one to begin with :-)
I did but am open to suggestions :-) anything under $50 :-)
Genetic Defect 11:58 PM 02-24-2009
Originally Posted by Yazzie:
The Dos Equis in a Bottle I get at the bar tastes far superior than the Dos Equis in a bottle that I buy from the liquor store.....:-)

Sure it does....
:-)
Legend 08:19 AM 02-25-2009
Riddick:
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Strong opinions and a number of things just "rub you the wrong way" lighten up. Try not to have so many issues.

Seangar:

You're right I should have used the term fighting. When at least one side of a discussion will lead absolutely no credence to the other its just a fight. Arguement can be taken either way and I was thinking husband wife arguement. Not rational arguement.

The rest of the botl:

I think some of you are really taking this as much harsher than I mean. also, we are not talking about windex or some other synthetic product. This is a plant product. This is like sending your better tomatoes to the local grocers and not being quite as picky when sending to the supermarket. The ones going to the supermarket are not bad. Its not a conspiracy. A good number of folks probably can't tell. But the owner of that local grocery could so you make sure his stuff is those same tomatoes. Just your better ones of those same ones.

The assumption that this would provide so much more overhead to me seems very silly. The rollers know what they have when they start rolling. But sure its a plausible argument against. But that argument alone doesn't and can't nullify the plausibility of my argument.
icehog3 08:27 AM 02-25-2009
Originally Posted by Legend:
But sure its a plausible argument against. But that argument alone doesn't and can't nullify the plausibility of my argument.
Just as your argument alone doesn't and can't nullify the plausability of the argument against. :-)
thebiglebowski 08:40 AM 02-25-2009
Originally Posted by Taboo Cigars:
I see everyone is reading this thread so I just wanted to say, "HELLO"!:-)

Rob:-)
hey! it's taboo guy. let's ask him.

Rob - do you sell your better cigars in your store and your not-so-better cigars on the inter-webs?
jledou 09:15 AM 02-25-2009
This is a plant product. This is like sending your better tomatoes to the local grocers and not being quite as picky when sending to the supermarket. The ones going to the supermarket are not bad. Its not a conspiracy. A good number of folks probably can't tell. But the owner of that local grocery could so you make sure his stuff is those same tomatoes. Just your better ones of those same ones.
I think that some of what you are talking about with plants would deal with grades, in this case grades of tomatoes. The higher quality would go at a premium price and might be sold at the local where the supermarket might buy the "b" grade at a lower price and high volume.

I think that tobacco itself is graded in general but I would assume that the same grade is used in a blend for a certain production run. Maybe this is where my thoughts are off?
Addiction 12:43 PM 02-25-2009
I've only been smoking a few years so my two cents: No the cigars are not better quality at a local B&M, but sometimes they are better cared for than they would have been at a big internet shop. Better humidifier, better temp control that kind of thing. I also believe you'd be cutting off your nose to spit your face if you had Brand A and sent primo copies of it to B&Ms and then sent watered down copies of the same exact cigar to different stores for any reason. What was probably explained is that the cast off bales and tobacco is used for seconds or things like RP Fusions or RP MX, those internet house brands.
Hardcz 12:51 PM 02-25-2009
I don't like to shop at some B&M's because I witnessed a guy sneeze in the Humidor.... yea... that's right, the bastage happened to be angled towards the CAO's.... needless to say I exited that place and smoked what I brought.
SmokeyJoe 12:55 PM 02-25-2009
Originally Posted by Hardcz:
I don't like to shop at some B&M's because I witnessed a guy sneeze in the Humidor.... yea... that's right, the bastage happened to be angled towards the CAO's.... needless to say I exited that place and smoked what I brought.

It's kind of like food service... just like we don't see what happens in the kitchen. You saw the guy at the B&M, but we have NO idea what happens at the warehouse, or when they are packed, etc... :-) :-)

Just the kind of stuff we would rather not know. :-)
Hardcz 01:02 PM 02-25-2009
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe:
It's kind of like food service... just like we don't see what happens in the kitchen. You saw the guy at the B&M, but we have NO idea what happens at the warehouse, or when they are packed, etc... :-)

Just the kind of stuff we would rather not know. :-)
I only smoke cigars rolled between the thighs or b**bs of attractive 20 something virgins that are from cuban descent living in Miami or Cuba. Also these virgin rollers are very clean and only impart their love and super hotness into these cigars.

Jealous? I know you are. :-):-)
Raralith 01:50 PM 02-25-2009
The rest of the botl:

I think some of you are really taking this as much harsher than I mean.
FYI, reading your replies, you certainly are making this very harsh on almost everyone else. These are opinions, and obviously if you flail around your opinions without much facts, which you pretty much are, why would you be surprised to get some flailed back at you?

I'm sure glad my local B&M's don't have discussions like these because I certainly would never go back. I'm there to smoke and drink, and the only thing heated that should go on is my cigar, not the conversations.
macpappy 02:46 PM 02-25-2009
I only smoke cigars rolled between the thighs or b**bs of attractive 20 something virgins that are from cuban descent living in Miami or Cuba. Also these virgin rollers are very clean and only impart their love and super hotness into these cigars.

I want to tour that factory.:-)
Legend 02:54 PM 02-25-2009
Originally Posted by Raralith:
FYI, reading your replies, you certainly are making this very harsh on almost everyone else. These are opinions, and obviously if you flail around your opinions without much facts, which you pretty much are, why would you be surprised to get some flailed back at you?

I'm sure glad my local B&M's don't have discussions like these because I certainly would never go back. I'm there to smoke and drink, and the only thing heated that should go on is my cigar, not the conversations.
actually the discussions at my Lounge are incredibly civil. We all agree the local stuff is better. Doesn't make us right, just our opinion. I'm not sure what exactly I'm "flail"ing. Or why having an unprovable opinion means I am supposed to be subjected to people misunderstanding me or taking my opinion harsher than i mean it. I don't quite follow your logic there. You seem to be taking this personally, why is stating my opinion making it harsh on people. I'm honestly inquiring here. I don't see how having an unpopular opinion here and attempting to support that opinion is harsh on people. Could you clear that up for me.
Raralith 02:58 PM 02-25-2009
actually the discussions at my Lounge are incredibly civil. We all agree the local stuff is better. Doesn't make us right, just our opinion. I'm not sure what exactly I'm "flail"ing. Or why having an unprovable opinion means I am supposed to be subjected to people misunderstanding me or taking my opinion harsher than i mean it. I don't quite follow your logic there. You seem to be taking this personally, why is stating my opinion making it harsh on people. I'm honestly inquiring here. I don't see how having an unpopular opinion here and attempting to support that opinion is harsh on people. Could you clear that up for me.
Read your replies. Read what you are saying. Read how you are saying it. This should answer why "some of you are really taking this as much harsher than I mean." I'm not taking it personally, but rather responding to your above statement.
Hardcz 03:13 PM 02-25-2009
There are some wild accusations here, and people are calling the bluff, unless something can be shown to prove that they are true, then it's not....

Hell I still smoke cc's to get high because they have weed in them.
gnukfu 03:52 PM 02-25-2009
There are some wild accusations here, and people are calling the bluff, unless something can be shown to prove that they are true, then it's not....

Hell I still smoke cc's to get high because they have weed in them.
Stop it Dan...you're killing me!:-)
tedrodgerscpa 03:55 PM 02-25-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
I propose this. Take the same stick and give people 4 of the same stick. However they will get them in any combination...could be 2 from online and 2 from B&M, one and three, or 4 from one source and have them rate them and say which they think is which. I can almost guarantee you there will be no trend in either direction.
Originally Posted by SeanGAR:
I don't know how to run the statistics on that type of experimental design. Anybody???
Originally Posted by taltos:
Can't see any control group there and don't see much experimental design.
That looks to be a triple blind study, which is the strongest test in terms of causality, and is rarely used.

If I wanted to hypothesize that real bullets are deadly and blank bullets are not, I put a mess of bullets in a box. I don't know which bullet is real, and which is blank. Put gun to head, pull trigger.

If I die, I have unmistakeable proof that real bullets are lethal.

However, if I live, I don't necessarily have unmistakeable proof that bullets are lethal, as I may have drawn a blank.
SmokeyJoe 04:40 PM 02-25-2009

This post is useless without pics... :-)
Page 6 of 45
« First < 456 7816 > Last »
Up