Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 6 of 7
« First < 456 7 >
Sports>New England Patriots
AdamJoshua 05:55 PM 01-25-2015
I believe that Dougy, much like the assistant to the assistant Videographer, will be getting let go soon. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 06:56 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by dijit:
The ratio equations I found show .10% +/- for every 10% in degrees C.
There's a rubber bladder in the balls. A 50* drop in temperature would effect about a 10psi drop in pressure. Much the same as your car tires.
I have no idea what the stated pressures were, but I'm thinking it was relatively mild for New England that day? What was it, about 30-40 degrees?
It's real easy to figure out if it was intentional by knowing just a few more variables.
I'm just too lazy and disinterested to look. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 08:43 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
I believe that Dougy, much like the assistant to the assistant Videographer, will be getting let go soon. :-)
I remember when Saturday Night Live was funny.:-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 08:44 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by shilala:
There's a rubber bladder in the balls. A 50* drop in temperature would effect about a 10psi drop in pressure. Much the same as your car tires.
I have no idea what the stated pressures were, but I'm thinking it was relatively mild for New England that day? What was it, about 30-40 degrees?
It's real easy to figure out if it was intentional by knowing just a few more variables.
I'm just too lazy and disinterested to look. :-)
I believe it was 51ºF at game time.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:34 PM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I remember when Saturday Night Live was funny.:-)
Who said it was supposed to be funny? :-)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...usaolp00000592

:-)
[Reply]
pnoon 06:15 PM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Who said it was supposed to be funny? :-)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...usaolp00000592

Silly assumption on my part that SNL is intended to be funny.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 06:46 PM 01-26-2015
I saw a report that they have a "person of interest", looks like someone is taking the fall, I wonder how but that pays. :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 06:46 PM 01-26-2015
The humor may fall flat, but the prescience was spot on . . . which is the relevant point.
[Reply]
pnoon 07:15 PM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by The Poet:
The humor may fall flat, but the prescience was spot on . . . which is the relevant point.
Opinions vary.

IMO, Saturday Night Live is intended as a television show devoted to comedy. And I didn't find the sketch the least bit funny.
To me, that is the relevant point and the reason for my post - as opposed to :-)
[Reply]
Dave128 08:22 AM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
I saw a report that they have a "person of interest", looks like someone is taking the fall, I wonder how but that pays. :-)
I still don't believe Belichick or Brady are innocent. On top of that, Kraft is now demanding an apology from the NFL. I knew that since Kraft and Goodell were so tight, that nothing was going to happen.
[Reply]
yourchoice 09:03 AM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by Dave128:
I still don't believe Belichick or Brady are innocent. On top of that, Kraft is now demanding an apology from the NFL. I knew that since Kraft and Goodell were so tight, that nothing was going to happen.
With the precedent set on how the NFL handled Payton with the player bounties (team and coach bearing the brunt of the responsibility), I'd be surprised if Belichick and the team didn't shoulder most of the blame and whatever penalties are imposed. They are doing their best to keep Brady out of it though, which I find laughable. :-)
[Reply]
8zeros 10:07 AM 01-31-2015
I just saw this that explains the deflate-o-math: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...d_physics.html

I forgot to convert gauge pressure to absolute pressure which makes it seem like it takes more of a temp difference to change the pressure.

This is the basic law for the relationship between pressure and temperature: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay-Lussac%27s_law
In the article he said Charles's Law, which is for volume and pressure.
[Reply]
shilala 10:27 AM 01-31-2015
Roger, you have to figure elastic kinetic energy in there.
That stuff in American Thinker is right on if the vessel is an immovable object.
I took a wild ass guess at the kinetic part. :-)

The math is so ridiculous that it'd be much easier just to blow up a ball and stick it in the fridge and see what happens. :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:47 AM 01-31-2015
Did it have the formula for only affecting one team's balls (giggles) and not the other.
[Reply]
Subvet642 10:50 AM 01-31-2015
That stuff in American Thinker is right on if the vessel is an immovable object.

The math is so ridiculous that it'd be much easier just to blow up a ball and stick it in the fridge and see what happens. :-)
The first thing a Sailor would ask is: Were the gauges calibrated? If they weren't, they cannot know anything. I'm starting to believe that the Colts noticed the effect on their own balls and went fishing.

Adam, I ask only because I don't know: Were the Colts' balls checked on the field, too?
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 04:11 PM 01-31-2015
Yes the balls from both teams were checked at the half and the Colt's balls were all legal.

The unclear thing is if they refs actually inflated the balls supplied by the Patriots or not, people assume they did but there's no confirmation of it.
[Reply]
8zeros 06:14 PM 01-31-2015

Yep, I detect an elbow there.
The Colts would have lost real bad even if they played with the other team's :-) balls.
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 08:10 PM 02-01-2015
All the haters can suck it..Patriots WIN!!!!
[Reply]
The Poet 08:25 PM 02-01-2015
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan:
All the haters can suck it..Patriots WIN!!!!
Classy and gracious, as expected. :-)

I will never understand that last Seattle play. Let Lynch punch it in, fer Krissakes! :-)

Congratulations to the Pats and their fans. Now get 'em off my TV so I can watch The Blacklist. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:39 PM 02-01-2015
Be sure to send Pete Carroll a thank you note, that was a gift. :-)
[Reply]
Page 6 of 7
« First < 456 7 >
Up