Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 6 of 11
« First < 456 78 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>DBall's Newb Blind Taste Test #4
rizzle 09:10 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by landhoney:
More off-topic banter, but anyone remeber the Fredster/Moki Blind review back in the CS days? I had just joined, or right after, wow what a thread, very heated but interesting on many levels.
Man, Seth. That was a little before I joined over there as well so I went looking and found it. Agreed...wow.
[Reply]
Samsquanch 02:20 PM 11-12-2010
I'm definitely willing to give the Punch another shot, considering the first third before I had the wrapper malfunction.

#5 is headed your way in a few minutes Dan!
[Reply]
Samsquanch 02:58 PM 11-12-2010
Now my interest is piqued for the Fredster/Moki review thread, anyone mind sending me the link to it? I've been searching over there for it but have been unable to find. Thanks!
[Reply]
jonumberone 09:55 AM 11-19-2010
Any updates? :-) :-)
[Reply]
CRIMPS 10:09 AM 11-19-2010
+1
[Reply]
DBall 12:19 PM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Any updates? :-) :-)
Yes... the update is that I am a slacker... :-)
[Reply]
DBall 12:21 PM 11-19-2010
jonumberone Cigar #5

Awesome day for a smoke! #5 is first on today’s death by fire list

Initial Thoughts
The stick appears under 5 inches and is a much smaller ring gauge than I’m accustomed to smoking.
The wrapper is a rich brown and I think the darkest yet. I squeeze and find a hard spot about an inch before the cap.
I cut the cap without issue and find the draw to be perfect. I didn’t dry box this one.
Pre-light flavors are creamy and full of cocoa.

First Third
The first few puffs are far fuller and stronger than I have come to expect from the sticks Dan sent. I get a blast of chocolaty goodness and a lot of thick rich smoke.
Not even an inch in and this stick has me at half mast. I’m also wondering if this is a NC.
I get a lot of burn when I go to my nose, something I thought I was past.
At about the inch mark I get some bite, not peppery but a twang is the best I can do to describe it. As I smoke more the twang resembles licorice.

Second Third
The chocolate has continued and the twang has increased with every puff. This stick is a powerhouse and I can feel the tip of my tongue going numb.
A purge does little to derail this freight train and an attempt at my nose has me in tears.
A little sweetness creeps in and this stick is starting to remind me of a 601 Blue.
It is starting to get a bit bitter on me, and the roof of my mouth has gone numb as well.

Final Third
I purge again and the last part starts off a bit nutty with coffee undertones. The bitterness has subsided a bit but it is still there.
Going to my nose is not an option any longer, it’s quite unbearable.
The flavor switches from chocolate to coffee and, the flavor keeps getting stronger and stronger.

Final Thoughts
Smoking this stick was like being set up on a blind date with a dominatrix.
The night starts out, and you think you got a chance of getting lucky, but in the end you wind up abused, whipped, and wearing a diaper.
Going to my nose literally had tears running down my cheeks, and the tip of my tongue is still numb.
I’m going to go out on a limb and say this has to be a NC. No CC I have smoked has ever been this strong.
If it is a CC, it has totally changed my conception of them. Of the CC’s I have smoked, I always equated them to elevator music, this smoke was heavy metal.
I found it aggressive, and was very punchy in how the flavor was delivered; every puff was like a haymaker.

Final Score 8 / 10
Smoke time 1hr 13min
[Reply]
DBall 12:22 PM 11-19-2010
Samsquanch Cigar #5

What a day and what a cigar! #5 was a great little smoke that I'll surely pick up some more of.

5" x 35rg this guy was small but packed a punch. A few veins and an overall nice looking cigar.

On the prelight I got some spice but also a nice honey flavor.

Smoked great right off the bat, the draw was a little tight but nothing that impeded pulling lots of nice white smoke. Grabbing some hints of cinnamon and cloves now.

The burn got off a little and I had to touch up a couple times, nothing that bothered me though. The ash held on nicely as well. The dense smoke is very creamy with vanilla notes as I worked my down to the final third.

As I mentioned earlier, this will be on my purchase list in the near future. Great little guy when in the mood for a quick smoke.

Overall 8/10 smoke rings.

(If anyone was wondering, the pictures were taken with the Hipstamatic camera app for the iPhone. I highly recommend you pick up this app, it's awesome!)
[Reply]
DBall 12:27 PM 11-19-2010
What they smoked:

2008 Partagas Princess

jonumberone score: 8

Samsquanch score: 8

Solid reviews for this little guy. That's the thing with guys that start this journey out as predominantly NC smokers... they typically like the stronger, fresher habanos than the aged ones (at first).

These are, alas, discontinued... :-)

That said, if you like these, you'll probably dig party shorts. Those are, for the time, still for sale (until HSA gets rid of every cigar that is 58rg and below, those bastards...)
[Reply]
Brutus2600 01:25 PM 11-19-2010
Man...I swear, HSA is discontinuing too many awesome smokes.

Those look delicious! :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 03:35 PM 11-19-2010
I am completely floored that this was a CC.
I am also devastated that these are discontinued.

I think this stick would have gotten a higher score had I not gone to my nose.
It was one of the most painful moments in my life and made my eyes bloodshot.

Are there any other sticks out there that compare to these that aren't discontinued?
Dan mentioned Party Shorts, any others?

Thanks for an awesome smoke Dan!
[Reply]
DBall 03:49 PM 11-19-2010
I am completely floored that this was a CC.
I am also devastated that these are discontinued.

I think this stick would have gotten a higher score had I not gone to my nose.
It was one of the most painful moments in my life and made my eyes bloodshot.

Are there any other sticks out there that compare to these that aren't discontinued?
Dan mentioned Party Shorts, any others?

Thanks for an awesome smoke Dan!
When fresh, Partagas, as a marca, is on the stronger side of the spectrum... as is Bolivar.
[Reply]
akumushi 05:00 PM 11-19-2010
Partagas Petit Coronas Especiales are very reasonably priced and full flavored.
[Reply]
DBall 07:21 AM 12-02-2010
Just realized I had #5 in my inbox and didn't post it yet! Doh.

I'll get it done later today :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 08:17 AM 12-02-2010
Dan #5 is posted :-)

Waiting on #6 :-)
[Reply]
Doctorossi 08:36 AM 12-02-2010
:-)

[Reply]
DBall 02:24 PM 12-02-2010
Dan #5 is posted :-)

Waiting on #6 :-)

Ahhh... in that case, we're waiting on Mr Samsquanch.......
[Reply]
DBall 04:41 PM 12-06-2010
Bump. Been nearly a month since the last review.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 04:47 PM 12-06-2010
Aw, I want to see the next cigars :-) Lol
[Reply]
jonumberone 09:10 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:
Ahhh... in that case, we're waiting on Mr Samsquanch.......

Will we get an update this weekend? :-)
[Reply]
Page 6 of 11
« First < 456 78 > Last »
Up