Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 58 of 350
« First < 848565758 596068108158 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
The Professor 06:57 AM 02-10-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
making nice with the other boys? :-) Good workout Dokk...keep it up!
Ha! A little, I guess. I let the bar down nice and slow and just couldn't get it back up off the bottom. Oh well. :-)
icehog3 07:59 AM 02-10-2009
Good workout, Dokk.....Dave knows stuff! :-)
The Professor 08:11 AM 02-10-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Good workout, Dokk.....Dave knows stuff! :-)
Indeed he does. A little warning to others about that workout, though:

Don't go as heavy as you normally would. The close grip is gonna work your tris hard and the wide your shoulders. Be sure to always keep your elbows tucked and put the weight on your lats. With the wide grip, your ROM is severely restricted ... and if you have short arms like me, you're going to have some trouble un/re-racking the weight; so be careful. In retrospect, I probably could have gone heavier on the close grip; but that's what "next time" is for. :-) :-)
DavenportESQ 09:44 AM 02-10-2009
Originally Posted by The Professor:
Indeed he does. A little warning to others about that workout, though:

Don't go as heavy as you normally would. The close grip is gonna work your tris hard and the wide your shoulders. Be sure to always keep your elbows tucked and put the weight on your lats. With the wide grip, your ROM is severely restricted ... and if you have short arms like me, you're going to have some trouble un/re-racking the weight; so be careful. In retrospect, I probably could have gone heavier on the close grip; but that's what "next time" is for. :-) :-)
I really like this workout for 2 reasons:

1. you get a lot of "work" on a lot of different muscles in a relatively short period of time.

2. I believe you can't get big muscles without lifting big weights. Like Dokk said the close grip worked his tri's and you are able to load your tri's with a good amount of weight
Mugen910 08:34 PM 02-10-2009
3 miles...in and out of the gym ...tomorrow is a 6 miler and if I can muster it...a light leg workout..
Mugen910 09:03 PM 02-11-2009
6 miles on the treadmill and then legs and calves! :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
icehog3 11:01 PM 02-11-2009
Started my back workout with pull-ups today....got a PR 22 reps on the first set. Went heavy on barbell rows after about 8 sets of pull-ups, and ended with some heavy cable work.

Had hoped to get shoulders in today too, but I was spent after the back workout.
The Professor 07:42 AM 02-12-2009
Today was an odd version of a back workout. I'm not sure what you'd call the focus; but it was fun and exhausting.

Old-school t-bar w/v-grip with 25lb plates:
2p x 10
4p x 10
6p x 8 -- 2 or 3 sets (I can't remember for sure)
7p x 6, 6p x 6, 5p x 6, 4p x 8 (this was in succession -- I'd throw a plate off and start next set)
4p x 10

Bent over barbell rows:
135 x 10
185 x 8 -- 2 or 3 sets (again, can't remember)

Superset'd plate-holds grip work there with 2 10lb plates per hand (gripped to failure). That grip-work sucks! :-)

One-arm dbell rows
80 x 6
80 x 8
80 x 10

Barbell shrugs
225 x 10 -- 2 or 3 sets (again, can't remember ... I was real stupid today, I guess. LoL!)

One set of light deadlifts -- 135lbs x 25 reps (my hams were burning)

Finished off with one more plate grip -- grip gave out at 32 seconds. :-)

I guess it was a dynamic workout of sorts. Looking at it in retrospect, I think I probably went back and forth between focusing on speed and strict control. All I know is that it kicked my ass something fierce. :-)

:-) :-)
icehog3 08:10 AM 02-12-2009
Excellent workout Dokk! :-) :-)
Mugen910 08:26 AM 02-12-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Started my back workout with pull-ups today....got a PR 22 reps on the first set. Went heavy on barbell rows after about 8 sets of pull-ups, and ended with some heavy cable work.
:-) When I was in the Marines I maxed out at 23 dead hangs. :-) Now I'd be lucky to get in 10. :-)

Today was an odd version of a back workout. I'm not sure what you'd call the focus; but it was fun and exhausting.

I guess it was a dynamic workout of sorts. Looking at it in retrospect, I think I probably went back and forth between focusing on speed and strict control. All I know is that it kicked my ass something fierce.
Well done Dokk....:-)

There was this guy who was trying to bench press 315lbs...My gym doesn't have clips for the bars because they don't want guys tossing that much around or something but this guy looked like he could do it. Here is the kicker...I was working on legs on the other side of the gym and then I heard a huge BANG! He had to slide the weights off the bar I guess because he didn't HAVE A SPOTTER! I dunno what pissed me off more; none of the knuckleheads in that area ran over to make help the guy lift/spot when he was struggling or the jerks walking away giggling that the guy just dropped a crap load of 45lbs plates on the floor. I'm all for space and privacy when pumping iron but you see someone that might need help..just offer to thwart any danger of him getting seriously hurt!

/rant off
PeteSB75 09:35 AM 02-12-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
There was this guy who was trying to bench press 315lbs...My gym doesn't have clips for the bars because they don't want guys tossing that much around or something but this guy looked like he could do it. Here is the kicker...I was working on legs on the other side of the gym and then I heard a huge BANG! He had to slide the weights off the bar I guess because he didn't HAVE A SPOTTER! I dunno what pissed me off more; none of the knuckleheads in that area ran over to make help the guy lift/spot when he was struggling or the jerks walking away giggling that the guy just dropped a crap load of 45lbs plates on the floor. I'm all for space and privacy when pumping iron but you see someone that might need help..just offer to thwart any danger of him getting seriously hurt!

/rant off
I'd just say this. People generally aren't paying attention to what others are doing. If he needed a spot for the weight he was doing, he should have asked someone to spot him. I generally work out alone and will occasionally ask for a spot for the last set or two when I am going heavier, especially for a chest press. If he didn't know that he needed a spot, he's an idiot. I would never go close to a PR without a spot. Just saying, I blame the guy, not the onlookers.
King James 09:44 AM 02-12-2009
hopefully can hit the gym after lab today.

effed up my knee @ practice the other day so will have to stick to upper body.

Sliding on your knee on turf is not advised.... Didn't do it intentionally, but sucks just the same
The Professor 10:00 AM 02-12-2009
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
I'd just say this. People generally aren't paying attention to what others are doing. If he needed a spot for the weight he was doing, he should have asked someone to spot him. I generally work out alone and will occasionally ask for a spot for the last set or two when I am going heavier, especially for a chest press. If he didn't know that he needed a spot, he's an idiot. I would never go close to a PR without a spot. Just saying, I blame the guy, not the onlookers.
While I generally agree with that, I'll offer some help if it looks like someone needs it. Walking away laughing seems to violate an ethic, imho.
Mugen910 10:07 AM 02-12-2009
:-)man I am freakin cranky today...I think my body is getting tired/worn out from the running/gym :-) Gonna grab a cigar at lunch and read a bit to chill.

Tonight is 3 miles.:-)
Genetic Defect 10:08 AM 02-12-2009
While I generally agree with that, I'll offer some help if it looks like someone needs it. Walking away laughing seems to violate an ethic, imho.
:-) klowns like that need to be helped :-)
PeteSB75 11:56 AM 02-12-2009
I'm not saying I agree with them, just that it's the guy's fault first. I would also lend a hand if I saw someone in that position. Then I would have a funny new story to tell at dinner parties... :-)
The Professor 02:06 PM 02-12-2009
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
I'm not saying I agree with them, just that it's the guy's fault first. I would also lend a hand if I saw someone in that position. Then I would have a funny new story to tell at dinner parties... :-)
Fair enough. And for the record, I'd probably tell a story, too. :-) :-)
Mugen910 05:29 PM 02-12-2009
dont get me wrong..i totally understand that you make the bed you sleep in but on some level, if you caught out of the corner of you eye a guy that looked like he was gonna get half an elephant sitting on his chest..i would run over and offer assistance..if he said no then cool... i know some are hesistant to ask for a spot...oh well

I think I am gonna do 3 easy miles tonite at the gym.
Posted via Steriod abusing Mobile Device
BigFrank 06:16 PM 02-12-2009
/rant mode
Bao, your gym sounds like another crappy commercial gym with no collars. thats unreal, regardless of weight used collars can still be a good safety measure. I think what people fail to realize is your are just as likely if not more likely to injure yourself doing low weight than with heavier weights. if anything thats a huge lawsuit waiting to happen, you workout weight slides off and you tear a tricep or blow a knee out, and end up jacked up. stupid gyms, they turned their backs on the people, bodybuilders, athletes, powerlifters who helped get them into business. now they just want fat house wives to fill up the gym and purchase 400 different types of stupid cardio crap.and get witless personal trainers, , to use nothing but machines, that do nothing but isolate rather than use compound movements which have been proven time and time again . and training people to develop " core strength and balance " on stupid ****ing giant balls which do nothing but take up ****ing space anyways, all of which is total bullshit anyways. rather than teach people how to eat outside of gyms, they discourage grunting and have ****ing pizza days and natural well being days at the ****ing gym.

/rant off

sorry fellas a lot of crap been bugging me at the gym, more to follow.
gerry is excluded from personal trainer rant.
BigFrank 06:20 PM 02-12-2009
Superset'd plate-holds grip work there with 2 10lb plates per hand (gripped to failure). That grip-work sucks! :-)
Ive been doing those, I found a cool clamp at work to clamp a 25 to a 35 and 35 to 35 so the bottom doesnt separate when I squeeze em. works great.
Page 58 of 350
« First < 848565758 596068108158 > Last »
Up