Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 52 of 54
« First < 242505152 5354 >
General Discussion>iphone 4 just announced.
mithrilG60 01:49 PM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:
If you have the scratch to pay your carrier for tethering then it probably is a better option not to JB. I have a limited budget and I'd rather my money go to the finer things in life (read: cigars).
Unfortunately you're going to pay them one way or another. AT&T is apparently able to determine who's running a hotspot a la MyWi and is in the process of sending those customers with a polite reminder that you have to pay for a tethering plan. I would imagine failure to comply would constitute a violation of your contract and they could terminate your service without warning.

In one of the very very rare "good guy" moves by the Canadian telecom industry it appears that they haven't tried to lock tethering down and don't force you to have a separate tethering data plan. That will probably change but for now it's still open.

I agree with Scott, I don't really care anymore how open a product is or what restrictions are placed on it. If it works for my purposes I'm happy, if it "just works" all the better. I was jailbroken before 4.3 was pushed down and frankly the only app I miss at all is SBSettings. Now that I can tether without jailbreaking I really don't care about jailbreaks at all anymore.
[Reply]
goalie204 09:09 PM 03-23-2011
well, i have 4.1 jailbroken and have the ultrasn0w carrier unlock. Today i spent 15 bux on a pre-paid sim from At&t, cut it to micro-sim size, popped it in, and it didn't work.

I don't know if i cut it improperly or if my phone isn't "really" unlocked, and i don't know how to tell.

I am currently in america using my canadian phone which is why i was trying this.
[Reply]
Chingas 08:40 AM 03-26-2011
The 4.1 ultrasnow unlock should have worked. I have read the 4.2.1 is more reliable using beta 3.

The 4.3 JB/Unlock should be available untethered by tomorrow at the latest. So I read.

I've also read that UnlockGuide and another place has a paid JB/Unlock for all versions for a one time lifetime membership. Even including iPhone 5 when the time comes. I don't know how reliable this service is and how they can guarantee a JB in a future device.

Anyone know of these?
[Reply]
MiamiE 08:50 AM 03-26-2011
I have a 3GS 4.3 (8F190) and a 3G running an OLD update. I am interested in safely unlocking both. How would I go about this?
[Reply]
goalie204 08:58 AM 03-26-2011
I tried changing the APN also, i tried a lot of things, it didn't work, at least the at&t sim only cost 15 bux, screw it :P
[Reply]
Chingas 09:00 AM 03-26-2011
Originally Posted by MiamiE:
I have a 3GS 4.3 (8F190) and a 3G running an OLD update. I am interested in safely unlocking both. How would I go about this?
Erick, you're waiting or what I'm waiting for. The 4.3 JB.

They say an untethered JB will be available by tomorrow. You can JB with a tethered version now but thats too cumbersome and impractical for me.
[Reply]
MiamiE 09:06 AM 03-26-2011
Ok so I will wait and keep up with this thread. Is a JB something I can do at home?
[Reply]
Chingas 09:12 AM 03-26-2011
Ok so I will wait and keep up with this thread. Is a JB something I can do at home?
The first JB I did was so easy I did it from my phone at work! Unfortunately, it has not been updated to the latest firmware.

Yes, you can JB at home. Most JB will have you download software to your computer, then plug your phone in and start the software you downloaded. It will add software or flash your firmware while you are connected and Viola! Good to go.

It very simple, very easy and usually works very well.

Go to youtube. Try typing in iPhone jailbreak tutorial. Watch a few. Some vary in different ways but that will give you a good understanding of the basic steps you'll be taking in the future.
[Reply]
MiamiE 09:17 AM 03-26-2011
Thanks Chingas! Is there a certain program that's more reliable than others? Which do you use? I am really scared of the iBrick everyone talks about.
[Reply]
Chingas 09:23 AM 03-26-2011
Thanks Chingas! Is there a certain program that's more reliable than others? Which do you use? I am really scared of the iBrick everyone talks about.
I've had great luck with GreenPoison back when I had 3.x and JailBreakMyIPhone.com prior to that.

RedSnow, UltraSnow, etc all seem to come from a parent exposure in Apples current firmware. When I JB mine and if all is well, I will get the name up here so you can use it for yourself.

I'm really not concerned about bricking my phone altho it is a reality and can happen. For some of the paid JB services they offer a tool to make sure your phone won't Brick beote you apply the JB.
[Reply]
MiamiE 09:29 AM 03-26-2011
I am going to try on my 3G first since it's still on 3.X. Is there anyway to unbrick it should it happen?
[Reply]
BnBTobacco 09:55 AM 03-26-2011
Have my iPhone too.. and I've been enjoying logging on to Skype and Yahoo Messenger.
[Reply]
MiamiE 11:19 AM 03-26-2011
Does anyone know if I can unlock it without inserting a SIM card? Ive tried inserting the card in my current 3GS but it doesnt work with the 3G for some reason.

[Reply]
MiamiE 11:25 AM 03-26-2011
I think I can do it without a SIM card, I just dont remember which software is on the phone. Obviously this information is needed to pick the right jailbreak software, correct?
[Reply]
MiamiE 12:51 PM 03-26-2011
Ok loaded the SIM. Software on the 3G is 4.0 (8A293). Should I leave it as is and jailbreak it or should I load the newest update and then wait for the jailbreak to be released?
[Reply]
MiamiE 03:42 PM 03-26-2011
I found a website called www.jailbreakme.com Works with 4.0.1 and under which I am running on my 3G. Any opinions? I also found Green Pois0n.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 03:52 PM 03-26-2011
jailbreakme.com is awesome if you havent upgraded the OS yet!
[Reply]
MiamiE 03:54 PM 03-26-2011
Brian I am on 4.0 right now, not the 4.0.1 but it says it will still work. Will I be able to unlock through this download?
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 05:09 PM 03-26-2011
You should be able to unlock, its very easy from what I remember
[Reply]
MiamiE 05:32 PM 03-26-2011
Did the download everything looks good, now I just need to figure out which program can unlock it. Most are unlocking 4.3 it seems and not 4.0.1 and earlier firmware.
[Reply]
Page 52 of 54
« First < 242505152 5354 >
Up