Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 9
« First < 345 67 > Last »
Discussion>The picture thread
Mister Moo 04:07 AM 02-04-2009
Originally Posted by Big D KC:
Here are a couple shots ...

Second one, one more shot, no flash. Pretty much looks just like it does to the eye laying there on my desk. MUCH darker!

Very interesting! Perhaps that tin is fairly young? I know the B&M had the bulk bag that mine was from open for quite some time in a jar on the counter (months). And this sample I have had at my house for the last 4.
Pic #2 looks like every tin of Pez I ever opened.

But for credit due, More'sic takes a heck of a nice photo.
[Reply]
morefifemusic 12:04 PM 02-04-2009
Very interesting! Perhaps that tin is fairly young? I know the B&M had the bulk bag that mine was from open for quite some time in a jar on the counter (months). And this sample I have had at my house for the last 4.
Looking at the first pic under better lighting, I would say that my Penz is pretty close to that.

The darkness in the bottom pic I would say is due to underexposure and poor lighting.

The nature of the lighting I took my pic in was more of an ambient, warm light which will increase the perceptions of browns. I some of the focus was on getting the baccy light enough to see good texture too. I also combined four or five photos to get a precise depth of field, so the in-focus parts and increased texture may make it look lighter.

Or is may just be younger. Tin was bought in Nov. and opened in Dec.

I have three more tins, so we'll see what the next one looks like. Gotta smoke through this stuff first though. :-)

-Tyler
[Reply]
morefifemusic 12:05 PM 02-04-2009
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:
But for credit due, More'sic takes a heck of a nice photo.
Thanks Moo. :-)
[Reply]
Big D KC 01:19 PM 02-04-2009
Hope no offense was taken by my posts Tyler! You have far more superior photo skills then I, as I have none! Your photo looks awesome, I just thought it didn't really look like penzance as I have come to know it, which brought curiosity along with it..

No harm meant! :-)
[Reply]
morefifemusic 05:41 PM 02-04-2009
Hope no offense was taken by my posts Tyler! You have far more superior photo skills then I, as I have none! Your photo looks awesome, I just thought it didn't really look like penzance as I have come to know it, which brought curiosity along with it..

No harm meant! :-)
None taken at all. I like trying to piece together a puzzle. And while the photo turned out pretty much as I had intended, it is nice to get feedback, particularly if it isn't an accurate representation of the baccy. :-)

-Tyler
[Reply]
morefifemusic 05:49 PM 02-04-2009
For comparison purposes, here is the picture I posted:

And here an unprocessed jpeg from one of the RAW (digital negative) files the above photo was made from. This jpeg was taken one stop underexposed from what the camera read as correct exposure.

You can see how the tone enhancements have altered the tobac color a bit. I used a WB setting of around 5000 or 5500k, so it is slightly warmer than what the camera AWB selected, somewhere around 4000k.

-Tyler
[Reply]
Big D KC 08:34 PM 02-04-2009
No idea what your talking about on the camera end of things, but the untouched photo definitely matches what penz truely looks like!

:-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 05:30 PM 02-05-2009
My first set of pipes..Any reviews? :-)
Attached: 20090205192050.jpg (91.9 KB) 
[Reply]
Scottw 06:13 PM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
My first set of pipes..Any reviews? :-)
Where are the carbs on those pipes?
[Reply]
Big D KC 11:30 PM 02-10-2009
Here is a blurry shot of my entire cellar up to this point. Slippery slope indeed! I just got started with the pipe last Sept, and really didn't get hard into it till about October!!

[Reply]
Nick 12:00 AM 02-11-2009
That's a good bit of tobacco for sure.
[Reply]
morefifemusic 07:25 AM 02-11-2009
Here is a blurry shot of my entire cellar up to this point. Slippery slope indeed! I just got started with the pipe last Sept, and really didn't get hard into it till about October!!

Only six tins of Escudo? Pah!
[Reply]
WWhermit 09:46 AM 02-11-2009
I'm glad to see you finally wrestled the Foodsaver away from your wife!

Nice job Big D. By the way, just showed the picture to my wife. Now she knows I'm not out of control, compared to to others!!

WWhermit
[Reply]
morefifemusic 10:26 AM 02-11-2009
Originally Posted by WWhermit:
I'm glad to see you finally wrestled the Foodsaver away from your wife!

Nice job Big D. By the way, just showed the picture to my wife. Now she knows I'm not out of control, compared to to others!!

WWhermit
Great idea hermit! I could probably justify another 2-3 pounds of baccy to the wife with this picture.

[Reply]
Big D KC 10:28 AM 02-11-2009
lol Glad I could help you guys out!! :-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 10:51 AM 02-11-2009
What beautiful pics of your guys pipes. I don't smoke a pipe but have fond memories of my dad smoking his. Have thought about giving it a go but another slop just might kill me. :-)

To show just what kind of a pipe noob I am, is there NC and CC slopes to pipe smoking?

Again, thank you for the great pics and bringing back some great memories of my dad.

Al
[Reply]
Curly Cut 12:49 PM 02-11-2009
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
To show just what kind of a pipe noob I am, is there NC and CC slopes to pipe smoking?
there are a couple cuban pipe tobaccos, but most ppl who've smoked it (and judgement i trust) say it sucked.

there are other types of tobaccos, though, and hundreds of blends in each type. so, if you fell down the "Virginia Slope", as opposed to the "Balkan Slope", then yes, there are different slopes.
[Reply]
BigFrank 01:30 PM 02-11-2009
what you marking those with Big D? I need a better system, mine are all hand written on post it notes...
[Reply]
Big D KC 02:56 PM 02-11-2009
Brother PTouch label printer! I have an older one that is similar to the "desktop" series. You can find more about them here: http://www.brother-usa.com/PTouch/

I love mine and I use the hell out of it for all manner of things!
[Reply]
BigFrank 03:36 PM 02-11-2009
Originally Posted by ahc4353:

Al
Only one slope, the hoarding slope. lol you can never have enough!
With that said there are two slopes, tobacco and pipe.

With pipe tobacco being relatively cheap compared to cigars, in my opinion anyway. You will buy multiples of tins and tobacco in bulk. Why buy 1 tin when you can buy 3 or more? Why buy 2 ounces, when they sell it by the pound?

There is also the pipe slope, which if not watched is pricey.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 9
« First < 345 67 > Last »
Up