Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 9
« First < 345 67 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Buried cigars?
weak_link 10:08 AM 07-28-2010
OK, I'm hooked. Plz post photos of your work.

[Reply]
kaisersozei 11:01 AM 07-28-2010
Looks like excessive end zone celebration to me. Good thing they didn't pull out a Sharpie.
[Reply]
brigey57 12:34 PM 07-28-2010
Ditto, keeps 'em cool and fresh!

Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
I'm gonna say that's kinda crazy. For someone whose name is MajorCaptSilly to say it's crazy, it's pretty crazy. I say buy a cooler and put it in the coolest part of your house. It will insulate the contents from much of the heat on the outside and will also help regulate humidity. Remember, it only gets dangerous if the temp of your humidor gets above 80 degrees. I would also recommend freezing your cigars to kill off any beetles.

MCS

[Reply]
Hoosierguy 10:39 AM 07-29-2010
Gentlemen,

PROJECT UPDATE:

I picked up the 8" dia. PVC pipe yesterday. It has a cap glued on one end and a slip on cap for the top. I will later fix a lock through the top lid.
The hole is dug and the pipe is now in place. I will post photos soon. I have 60 cigars coming today via UPS. I also received my RH beads today from hcmcigarbeads.com.
Question: Should I adjust my beads from 65 to 70 percent humidity?
I know I need to let them set in my caddys for a couple of weeks first, but should I adjust them if up to 70* or leave them where they are (assuming they are between 65 and 70).
I have two 15 and one 10 cigar caddys that I will "put in the hole" and connect to a hook at the top of the pipe with heavy strings. I'll number the caddys and keep an inventory of what's in which box.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 11:00 AM 07-29-2010
Pics!
[Reply]
dwoodward 12:09 PM 07-29-2010
This needs pics of course... but really dude, all you needed was a cooler. Waste of time in my opinion. I also suspect that within a month you will buy a cooler out of sheer frustration with digging up your cigars every time you want a smoke.
[Reply]
Hoosierguy 12:37 PM 07-29-2010
Here is the 8" PVC tube. It's 54" tall!

Hook for rope:

Lid:

Looking down tube:
[Reply]
Hoosierguy 12:38 PM 07-29-2010
Hole with tube in it:

Cigar Caddy (15) on a "leash":

Caddy in tube:

Final storage photo:
[Reply]
colinb913 12:40 PM 07-29-2010
Wheres the hole?! Put a grave marker over it, see what your neighbors say.

Edit: You just posted the pics.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 12:42 PM 07-29-2010
Holy sh!t! You did it! Bravo! That's kinda cool. Unconventional, but cool. Thanks for the pics. This rocks! :-)
[Reply]
Hoosierguy 12:43 PM 07-29-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
This needs pics of course... but really dude, all you needed was a cooler. Waste of time in my opinion. I also suspect that within a month you will buy a cooler out of sheer frustration with digging up your cigars every time you want a smoke.
I would rather this than trying to keep a cooler cool by having to continually add ice and worry about the temperature. This tube will keep things nice and cool. I can easily access cigars and will keep them in the house once ambient temps go down.

I'll put a lock on it later today.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 12:43 PM 07-29-2010
Did the leaves from your Oak tree fall early this year? :-)

MCS
[Reply]
Hoosierguy 12:47 PM 07-29-2010
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
Holy sh!t! You did it! Bravo! That's kinda cool. Unconventional, but cool. Thanks for the pics. This rocks! :-)
Thank you, thank you. I'm very happy with the results. It was a deep hole. The actual digging took me about an hour. I went through some pretty heavy soil and some roots needed to be cut but everything went pretty smooth.

I now have the tiniest basement in North America!
[Reply]
Hoosierguy 12:49 PM 07-29-2010
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
Did the leaves from your Oak tree fall early this year? :-)

MCS
I put it in a part of our yard that is left "natural" (I don't rake there).

I'll probably paint the cap to look leafy.
[Reply]
Skywalker 12:55 PM 07-29-2010
Congrats!!!

Don't listen to us Naysayers!!! Pretty soon we'll all be digging holes!!!:-)
[Reply]
waffle 12:57 PM 07-29-2010
Impressive, but what you really need to do is buy a pole with a hook and just let them stack..... ORRRRRR REALLLY strong Magnets! :-)!! JK awesome unconventional storage!
[Reply]
T.G 12:57 PM 07-29-2010
Well, I think to make this complete, you should PM an admin and have them change your name from "Hoosierguy" to "Squirreldude".
[Reply]
waffle 12:59 PM 07-29-2010
Now, for your next project, put a 36" pipe down there with a storage rack and some pulleys... you'll be able to store EVERYTHING... run power to it so its run by a hydraulic winch!!! oooohhhh that'd be awesome!
[Reply]
kelmac07 01:02 PM 07-29-2010
Very cool!!! :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 01:03 PM 07-29-2010
Wow, what a unique solution to a common problem. What's the temp like in the ground?
[Reply]
Page 5 of 9
« First < 345 67 > Last »
Up