Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 6
« First < 345 6 >
Discussion>Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!
Guitarman-S.T- 10:49 PM 10-30-2009
should i open the jars ( i placed all tobaccos into there own glass jars)
and let air out... and possibly what is the ideal humidity...

Thanks again! learning so much, so far i guess i'm picking up you can age Pipe tobaccos just as well as cigars, in there own sense,
[Reply]
Curly Cut 09:15 PM 10-31-2009
Originally Posted by Guitarman-S.T-:
should i open the jars ( i placed all tobaccos into there own glass jars)
and let air out... and possibly what is the ideal humidity...

Thanks again! learning so much, so far i guess i'm picking up you can age Pipe tobaccos just as well as cigars, in there own sense,
sure, open the jars every now and then, for the ones you want to smoke that are recently opened. letting them breath is a good thing. i'm not saying leave them open for an hour or two. maybe open them for 5 minutes while you're getting the tobacco out that you want to smoke.

the ideal humidity is up to the smoker. some smoke wetter tobacco than others. some say the ideal humidity is when the tobacco is moist enough for you to still be able to mold it into a ball and for it to spring back. you dn't want it to where you try to bend the tobacco and it breaks like crispy bacon.
some tobaccos, like McClelland broken flakes, need prepping as soon as you open the tin before it dries out and you can't prepare it. some ppl take the tobacco straight out of the tin, throw it into a pip and let 'er rip (some tobacco is ready to smoke straight out of a freshly opened tin, most are not).

yes, you can age tobaccos just like cigars. best to leave the tins sealed if you want to do that, though.
[Reply]
Guitarman-S.T- 02:17 AM 11-01-2009
Thanks a lot! Hope everyone had a good Halloween
[Reply]
Guitarman-S.T- 05:38 PM 11-13-2009
So far been smoking Orientals with my new Jirsa, And after trying a few English and Va.pers.. im like DAMN! should i have dedicated that pipe to one of those. Do the flavor profiles of English/ Va.pers go beyond or possibly mold well with an already Oriental smoked pipe...

I have no issue keeping it 100% oriental but If i'm able to switch it SOONER rather than later I'd be a happy man ( still barely any cake.. maybe 5-6 bowls smoked in it)

thanks once again guys, Dont worry, I'll be all Learned up in No times, Yes sir'y Bob!:-)
[Reply]
Savvy 06:18 PM 11-13-2009
So far been smoking Orientals with my new Jirsa, And after trying a few English and Va.pers.. im like DAMN! should i have dedicated that pipe to one of those. Do the flavor profiles of English/ Va.pers go beyond or possibly mold well with an already Oriental smoked pipe...

I have no issue keeping it 100% oriental but If i'm able to switch it SOONER rather than later I'd be a happy man ( still barely any cake.. maybe 5-6 bowls smoked in it)

thanks once again guys, Dont worry, I'll be all Learned up in No times, Yes sir'y Bob!:-)
If you've only had a few bowls in it so far, switch it over if you want to. Its easier to do it earlier than later.
[Reply]
Guitarman-S.T- 07:19 PM 11-13-2009
Originally Posted by Savvy:
If you've only had a few bowls in it so far, switch it over if you want to. Its easier to do it earlier than later.
Out of english tobacc's such as... Boswell's Northwood, and Margate

and Va.pers such as Escudo, and Fillmore... Is there a type of tobacco that would completely mask the original flavors left behind with the few Oriental bowls?

Just trying to make the right choice :-) thanks again guys, and Thanks Jordan!
[Reply]
Guitarman-S.T- 07:33 PM 11-13-2009
CONFUSING! lol
Margate is described to contain
-Virginia
Latakia
Oriental

and on the Package says... English... sooooo... lol I'm guessing this would smoke great with a light backbone of Oriental, but is this an actual English blend?

( So confusing, maybe someone should just recommend me a good Pipe book before I drive everyone crazy =] )
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 08:21 PM 11-13-2009
CONFUSING! lol
Margate is described to contain
-Virginia
Latakia
Oriental

and on the Package says... English... sooooo... lol I'm guessing this would smoke great with a light backbone of Oriental, but is this an actual English blend?

( So confusing, maybe someone should just recommend me a good Pipe book before I drive everyone crazy =] )
It's an English. Good one too!
[Reply]
Guitarman-S.T- 08:57 PM 11-13-2009
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
It's an English. Good one too!
the Jirsa is an Englich pipe =]

What did you ever choose for yours VS?
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 09:00 PM 11-13-2009
the Jirsa is an Englich pipe =]

What did you ever choose for yours VS?
My Jirsa is dedicated to mostly Penzance.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:01 PM 11-13-2009
Is Margate any good? I am a big fan of English blends and I havent tried that one.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 09:27 PM 11-13-2009
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
Is Margate any good? I am a big fan of English blends and I havent tried that one.
Yes, i'm very fond of it. Some people say it's just Penzance ribbon cut but I disagree. I find it to be a bit more balanced and not quite as strong.
[Reply]
Guitarman-S.T- 09:59 PM 11-13-2009
and penzance is an english? and after you dedicate a pipe only TO one tobacco thats... dedication :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 11:44 PM 11-13-2009
and penzance is an english? and after you dedicate a pipe only TO one tobacco thats... dedication :-)
Yes, Penzance is an English. A good one, as I hear. Need to try that too!
[Reply]
Guitarman-S.T- 11:55 PM 11-13-2009
Oi mj!
well like i was sayin before i got a load of tobacco, You looking to try any?
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 11:56 PM 11-13-2009
Well... what you got? LOL :-)

you lookin for a trade? if so, for pipe tobacco or cigars?
[Reply]
Guitarman-S.T- 12:08 AM 11-14-2009
hell a trade for cigars would be great! Can't find any good ones in my area.
Picked up

margate
escudo
fillmore
McClellands No.14, and Smyrna orientals
Boswells Northwood
Union Square

mMMmm I know i got a few more tucked away
just shoot me a pm
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 12:15 AM 11-14-2009
hell a trade for cigars would be great! Can't find any good ones in my area.
Picked up

margate
escudo
fillmore
McClellands No.14, and Smyrna orientals
Boswells Northwood
Union Square

mMMmm I know i got a few more tucked away
just shoot me a pm
Sent
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 02:57 PM 11-14-2009
I have a lot of Penzance, it's one of my favs!
[Reply]
Guitarman-S.T- 04:39 PM 11-14-2009
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
I have a lot of Penzance, it's one of my favs!
how much different then... Margate.. or Northwoods?
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
« First < 345 6 >
Up