Page 5 of 6
« First < 345 6 >
General Discussion>Martial Arts - What Do/Did You Study
RonC 09:43 AM 02-28-2009
Kali - knife and stick
[Reply]
Sr Mike 10:34 PM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by Hardcz:
My belt is longer and thicker than your belt.
My belt holds my pants up and is studded with steel rivets.
[Reply]
bonjing 12:14 AM 03-01-2009
Originally Posted by Sr Mike:
My belt holds my pants up and is studded with steel rivets.
oh yea! my belt doesn't even fit anymore :-)

on a serious note thank you everyone for all the input regarding multiple opponents.
[Reply]
Steve 12:26 AM 03-01-2009
Kodekon Judo (taught as well), Te Kwon Do, Kobekan Ju-Jitsu.

Now; (flash to scene of Indiana Jones fighting the Swordsman) .357 magnum! (Getting to old to mess with it :-))
[Reply]
foomanto 08:06 PM 03-01-2009
Originally Posted by 12stones:
I love the "this is better than this" and "that is better than that" discussions that take place whenever martial arts are brought up. The fact of the matter is that in a real situation you can win or lose on any given day. One style is not better than the other; it all depends on the practitioner and the situation that takes place. Jiu-jutsu (it is jutsu folks) is just as good as goju-ryu which is just as good as muay thai, etc. It's all about preparation, training, understanding, and ability. And even all of those don't add up to guarantee you won't get your ass kicked by someone untrained; though it does better the odds.

And for those that think TKD sucks, go watch the ROK Marines training in South Korea and see if you want to join them; it's no joke. Again, it's all about the practitioner.

Been to Korea and watched the ROK Marines train almost everyday that i was there and they train hard. i took Okinawan Kempo for about 3 years when i was stationed over there.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 08:53 PM 03-01-2009
I did this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuai_jiao for a couple years as a kid

made it to the third belt (yellow in this case) and quit when the Sifu become an unbearable ass

wouldn't mind picking it back up at some point
[Reply]
gnukfu 04:52 AM 03-02-2009
Took up Kung Fu (Northern Praying Mantis style/variation) when I was 39. Got my black belt when I was 43. Quit about 4 months after that when I almost blew my back and knee out doing butterfly kicks. I realized it wasn't worth ruining my back and knees for the rest of my life just to get my next stripe. It was great fun while I did it!
[Reply]
Sr Mike 05:43 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by gnukfu:
Took up Kung Fu (Northern Praying Mantis style/variation) when I was 39. Got my black belt when I was 43. Quit about 4 months after that when I almost blew my back and knee out doing butterfly kicks. I realized it wasn't worth ruining my back and knees for the rest of my life just to get my next stripe. It was great fun while I did it!
Something I like about FMA, who I train with, kicks are directed at the opponents chest on down. Though high flying kicks are really cool to watch in forms. We just have to worry about not breaking our knuckles with sticks or botched homicide with machetes.
[Reply]
12stones 08:50 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by foomanto:
Been to Korea and watched the ROK Marines train almost everyday that i was there and they train hard. i took Okinawan Kempo for about 3 years when i was stationed over there.
Who did you study with over there? I knew Butch Spain and got to train with him a few times. I got to meet Odo Sensei once while there too.
[Reply]
LordOfWu 09:51 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by gnukfu:
Yeah, strain on my knees was one of the reasons I chose BJJ after doing TDK/Kenpo for a while. My flexibility is almost as good as it was, and I don't pound my knees nearly as much (notice I didn't say not at all).
[Reply]
Darrell 09:53 PM 03-02-2009
I'd like to propose a vote that we remove Tae Kwon Do as a Martial Art and classify it as gymnastics. :-)
[Reply]
webjunkie 10:11 PM 03-02-2009
Been doing Kendo and Iaido for about five years now.
[Reply]
zemekone 10:28 PM 03-02-2009
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu only for 3 weeks...
[Reply]
Blueface 06:43 AM 03-03-2009
Isshin-ryū

Had to give it up when I had my accident and herniated two discs.
[Reply]
LordOfWu 08:01 AM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by zemekone:
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu only for 3 weeks...
What school are you studying at? I've heard quite a bit about Gracie Barra out there...just curious. :-)
[Reply]
zemekone 10:43 AM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by LordOfWu:
What school are you studying at? I've heard quite a bit about Gracie Barra out there...just curious. :-)
:-) im studying at a Gracie Barra school, in a 25 mile radius there are more then 10 including the headquarters...

Less then 30min i have Royce Gracie's school (i forgot what its called)...

then less then a hour away i have the Gracie Academy, Machado's school, and Eddie Bravo's school (The 10th Planet)...
[Reply]
Drat 07:52 AM 03-04-2009
Originally Posted by zemekone:
:-) im studying at a Gracie Barra school, in a 25 mile radius there are more then 10 including the headquarters...

Less then 30min i have Royce Gracie's school (i forgot what its called)...

then less then a hour away i have the Gracie Academy, Machado's school, and Eddie Bravo's school (The 10th Planet)...
Be careful, the Gracie schools had a reputation in the 90s for having the most injured students at any given time.
[Reply]
Sr Mike 03:18 PM 03-04-2009
Jerry, you are a disgrace to your race...
[Reply]
Hardcz 07:19 PM 03-04-2009
Originally Posted by Drat:
Be careful, the Gracie schools had a reputation in the 90s for having the most injured students at any given time.
so do the hurting and don't get hurt :-)
[Reply]
LordOfWu 10:18 PM 03-04-2009
Originally Posted by Drat:
That's interesting, I wonder what belt level they had most of their injuries in? I trained with a young man tonight that just moved to CO from FL and had trained in a Gracie Barra school. Our school requires 20 beginner classes of just techniques before you can start live training (grappling at speed with a partner). His school allowed live training from day 1. Just wondering what would happen to a bunch of guys in their first week rolling with someone with a few months but not a lot of control.

Anyway, tonight was my 71st class! :-)

Good times!
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
« First < 345 6 >
Up