Pop 56 30.27%
Other (explain in post) 31 16.76%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll
Page 5 of 7
« First < 345 67 >
General Discussion>Soda vs Cola vs Pop
Cigary 12:45 PM 01-21-2009
Originally Posted by Volt:
Hey now... There was a third player back then - RC. Mom used to buy that as it was cheaper than Coke or Pepsi, I still prefer it. But as we was poor, usually it was cool-aid out of the "icebox". Had to leave the Sought to learn what a fridge was.

For where you were raised see the linky - LINKY

Score - 100% Dixie. Is General Lee your grandfather?!
Was it called Double Cola back then?,,,Can't remember but there was RC, & Up and a few others but not like it is today.
[Reply]
Cigary 12:49 PM 01-21-2009
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
aaaah A&W, I loved their bacon burgers when I was in Indonesia. Didn't care for the root beer though, but the bacon burgers were awesome.
No kidding,,,don't even get me started on the bacon cheeseburgers. I loved those!

Originally Posted by Cigary:
Was it called Double Cola back then?,,,Can't remember but there was RC, & Up and a few others but not like it is today.

[Reply]
DrDubzz 12:52 PM 01-21-2009
I call it soda

however I don't disagree with the other choices (assuming it's a cola being called a cola)

the only thing that gets on my nerves is when drinks other than coca-cola classic get called coke. they have names unique to themselves, please use them
[Reply]
Willygt 01:05 PM 01-21-2009
Soda for me!

but I do know people who call it coke.

In Mexico the diference is in the north they call it Soda ( I am guessing for the U.S. influence), but in the south they call it "refresco" (which would be something as "refreshment").
[Reply]
tech-ninja 01:16 PM 01-21-2009
Another southern boy

Coke
[Reply]
Don Fernando 01:28 PM 01-21-2009
No kidding,,,don't even get me started on the bacon cheeseburgers. I loved those!
no A&W in The Netherlands though :-) But in a few months I am stateside :-)
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 01:30 PM 01-21-2009
Grew up saying Pop.... usually say Soda now. :-)
[Reply]
rizzle 01:44 PM 01-21-2009
There was a Double Cola. Came in a round glass bottle with ridges around it.
That stuff rocked.

[Reply]
MNSmoker 07:12 PM 01-21-2009
In Minnesota we generally call it Pop.
[Reply]
Bruzee 08:34 PM 01-21-2009
Soda...... :-)
[Reply]
ghostrider 08:42 PM 01-21-2009
Nother vote for pop here. I've traveled all up and down the East coast, and now on the West coast. Now I call it pop just to see what kind of reaction I get.
[Reply]
blugill 08:45 PM 01-21-2009
Originally Posted by RGD.:
:-)

Normally the conversation goes something like this:

Them: What would you like to drink?
Me: Coke
Them: Pepsi okay?
Me: Whatever.

Ron
This is pretty much the conversation at every drive thru I go to....it's all coke and then you get specific on if its dr. pepper or pepsi, sprite, or mt. dew.
[Reply]
RBOrrell 08:24 AM 01-22-2009
Here is a link to a company that was huge when I was growing up. They went away for a while and are now back. The name of the company says it all!

http://www.thepopshoppe.com/
[Reply]
icehog3 08:42 AM 01-22-2009
Originally Posted by RBOrrell:
Here is a link to a company that was huge when I was growing up. They went away for a while and are now back. The name of the company says it all!

http://www.thepopshoppe.com/
We had one of those (or at least the same name) in the Chicago area years ago.
[Reply]
King James 09:01 AM 01-22-2009
Soda for me, dislike the word "pop"

but Hell, I also refer to what most call a drinking or water fountain as a "bubbler"
[Reply]
icehog3 09:05 AM 01-22-2009
Originally Posted by King James:
Soda for me, dislike the word "pop"

but Hell, I also refer to what most call a drinking or water fountain as a "bubbler"
Who told you to dislike the word "pop"? I didn't tell you to dislike the word "pop". Suzy, get me the NAFDATWP people on the phone.....

[Reply]
stitch 09:25 AM 01-22-2009
Conversattion: What can I get you to drink sir ???
Me: Bourbon ...
Waitperson: We don't have that, We have Coke, Pepsi, Sprite and Bud light ...
Me: .... I'm outta' here ...
[Reply]
Nick 09:56 AM 01-22-2009
Soda or coke, had a teacher from montana who called it pop and hated when some one said soda.

RC Cola > Coca Cola
[Reply]
Greasy001 10:02 AM 01-22-2009
We always called it coke.
Ie:"Hey dale can you get me a coke?"

"What kind of coke do you want?"

"Dr. Pepper sounds good"

Ahhh, God bless Tx
[Reply]
Lumpold 10:39 AM 01-22-2009
We call 'em fizzy drinks!

Originally Posted by RGD.:
What do you ask for when you want a facial tissue? Kleenex right?

Same deal -

Ron
I ask for a tissue. Why confuse the issue with brand names. And before you start, I call my Dyson a Dyson, not a hoover.

Originally Posted by RBOrrell:
We have POP machines. We go to the store to buy POP.

Coke and Pepsi are COLAs. Cola is a type of POP.

SODA is a tasteless/colourless fizzy liquid that some people mix with their scotch. I drink SODA with a slice of lime.
Substitute 'Fizzy Drink' for 'POP' and I'm with you. I never understood why soda is called Club Soda in the US....

Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
Not that I am a Cuba Libre` drinker on a normal basis, but it's the thought that counts.
A cuba libre is so much more than a Rum and Coke.... have you not seen Cocktail?
[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
« First < 345 67 >
Up