Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 49 of 138
« First < 39474849 50515999 > Last »
Sports>NHL '10 - '11 Thread
357 07:37 AM 01-24-2011
I know in some pro leagues when you put in a waiver claim the team that signed him is compensated in some way. Will the Isles have to give the Wings something for snagging Nabokov?
chand 08:13 AM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by 357:
I know in some pro leagues when you put in a waiver claim the team that signed him is compensated in some way. Will the Isles have to give the Wings something for snagging Nabokov?
As far as I know Detroit would have him free and clear if he is put an waivers. OTH I hear that SJ also put a claim on him when the Isles did. So that may complicate the issues.
357 08:53 AM 01-24-2011
I know, but what I meant is he was signed by the Wings and someone else claimed him. In some leagues that means the team who claimed him owes the Wings some sort of compensation. Does the NHL do this? If so what, if any, criteria are used to determine that compensation?
Ahbroody 09:00 AM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Here you go, Mike. I cut and pasted it in case you aren't an ESPN Insider subscriber.
Man my buddy is a trainer. LoL guess he is not in the loop. :-) wont be listening to his ass anymore.

I cant believe they would bring him in after everything. I guess at that price they figure wtf?
I know they are big on staylock, but hes still young I guess.

I cant seem to find any major source who will go on record saying the Sharks did that. Not even Ecklunds site, but I guess its possible.
chand 09:05 AM 01-24-2011
I know, but what I meant is he was signed by the Wings and someone else claimed him. In some leagues that means the team who claimed him owes the Wings some sort of compensation. Does the NHL do this? If so what, if any, criteria are used to determine that compensation?
Only if he was on their roster as a restricted free agent and was signed to an offer sheet. The wing will either get nothing [Isles keep Nabby] or they will get Nabby if the isles waive him or attempt a trade with a a 3rd team. There is no compensation due.
Ahbroody 09:26 AM 01-24-2011
Maybe maybe not.
I thought I just read that all the teams who put in a claim would have first rights if he is waived. The team lowest in the standings would have first right. Given Toms post Sharks would get him before wings. Found another rumor that said Hawks put in claim. There are no main sources going on record so its kind of hard to know who put in claims.

I kind of wonder if both Sharks and Hawks alleged claims have as much to do with hurting the Wings as getting Nabokov. I still want to believe the trainer I know who said they wouldnt want him in the playoffs so why would we have him play the season.

Talk about one huge cluster fock
357 09:34 AM 01-24-2011
Interesting. I know in the NFL the Lions started using their low standings to their favor and grabbing guys (off the waiver wire) they know were wanted; just so they could trade them for 7th round pics. It ended up netting them a few decent players in the long run.

Wonder if any of the waiver snipers are willing to trade Nabby elsewhere.
Ahbroody 09:44 AM 01-24-2011
See Mike that might be it and makes more sense to me then them playing Nabby. There is some bad blood.

Sharks are in desperate need of Dmen its no secret. If they got him they may be able to grab one solid dman in exchange. Who knows though with the trainwrecks in the pipes and on D either is possible. Trade bait does make sense though. That would also explain why the Isles got him first. Dont get any lower. :-)
chand 09:57 AM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
Maybe maybe not.
I thought I just read that all the teams who put in a claim would have first rights if he is waived. The team lowest in the standings would have first right. Given Toms post Sharks would get him before wings. Found another rumor that said Hawks put in claim. There are no main sources going on record so its kind of hard to know who put in claims.

I kind of wonder if both Sharks and Hawks alleged claims have as much to do with hurting the Wings as getting Nabokov. I still want to believe the trainer I know who said they wouldnt want him in the playoffs so why would we have him play the season.

Talk about one huge cluster fock
I was under the impression that only applied if he was put on waivers before a trade and that if he was simply waived then it was a free for all with no restrictions. :-) The situation seem highly convoluted so I could be wrong in my assessment. There is also speculation that the Isles could make an appeal to the League to shelf the contract until 20011-12, keeping Nabby from being a free agent this summer and forcing him to play a year on the island. Sounds like a prison sentence to me. :-):-)
icehog3 10:30 AM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by Sawyer:
Thrashers are falling apart. It is getting ridiculous.
They were playing a bit above their talent level, at least on paper. They will have to right the ship soon to hang onto a playoff spot.

The whole Nabokov thing is interesting to watch. From a selfish standpoint, I would like to see him sign with the Sharks, and then have the Hawks meet the Sharks again in the playoffs. :-)
357 11:23 AM 01-24-2011
They were playing a bit above their talent level, at least on paper. They will have to right the ship soon to hang onto a playoff spot.

The whole Nabokov thing is interesting to watch. From a selfish standpoint, I would like to see him sign with the Sharks, and then have the Hawks meet the Sharks again in the playoffs. :-)
:-) Tom!

I just wanted him to pickup some of the games Osgood is going to miss. I don't want Howard to have to start 75 regular season games and then have nothing left by playoff time. (pardon the exaggeration).
Ahbroody 11:33 AM 01-24-2011

Provided both teams make it. Thanks for the knife in ghe back Tom. Always got to twist it a little. :-)

I don't want Howard to have to start 75 regular season games and then have nothing left by playoff time.
I do. Maybe father time will be back again this year, although the Wings are only slowing down a little.
icehog3 02:06 PM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
Provided both teams make it. Thanks for the knife in ghe back Tom. Always got to twist it a little. :-)

I do. Maybe father time will be back again this year, although the Wings are only slowing down a little.
Sorry, Mike, I need to be more understanding this season with our teams on the bubble instead of 1-2. :-)

Father Time? Lidstrom leads the freaking NHL in D-man scoring! :-)
ChicagoWhiteSox 06:58 PM 01-25-2011
Good game in Chicago so far. Hawks came out ready to go that's for sure.
ChicagoWhiteSox 07:02 PM 01-25-2011
Damn Crawford has made some big saves!
GHC_Hambone 10:45 PM 01-25-2011
Hawks.....come on......
Ahbroody 11:59 PM 01-25-2011
Man the wild are hot right now. The Sharks got them, but that game was close.
They dont come right at you like say Det or Van. They are just always they to get you on a transition if you screw up. They just keep it close and get you when you make a mistake.
icehog3 01:33 AM 01-26-2011
:-)
yourchoice 07:52 AM 01-26-2011
Flyers win their 1,000 home game last night with an impressive showing against the Canadiens. :-) First expansion era team to reach this milestone.

A weird caveat to this feat....three of their "home" wins were in Quebec City! :-)
Ahbroody 09:26 AM 01-26-2011
How does that work joel?
Congrats to the flyer's and their fans. They are big strong nasty and can score. Pronger may be back to the finals this year and get to lift the cup.
Page 49 of 138
« First < 39474849 50515999 > Last »
Up