Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 47 of 352
« First < 37454647 48495797147 > Last »
General Discussion>First Firearm Thread.
Junior 08:52 AM 07-01-2009
Originally Posted by Mark C:
I realize bolt guns are more accurate than lever, that's fine with me. I've got a benchrest 10/22 to scratch the 'tack driver' itch, there's just something about the old school lever action that's calling to me. What I meant by 'target' is that I'll be shooting at paper only, 'minute of paper plate' is good enough for me right now. I was reading up on the Marlin 45-70 lever gun earlier today, now I'm thinking big bore lever would be even more fun :-)

Garand would be great, but out of my price range. I do have a milsurp itch also, I've got a C&R app waiting to be mailed and plans for a Mosin as soon as the paperwork comes back.

I'm in Harford county, little ways outside of Aberdeen. Where're you? I'm using the same name at www.mdshooters.com, great forum for all things firearms in MD. Check it out if you haven't already.
a lot of the cowboy action shooters use the 45-70 guns in long range stuff. Somewhere in the 300 yard range, and smaller targets.
Trumpet 09:12 AM 07-01-2009
Originally Posted by Junior:
a lot of the cowboy action shooters use the 45-70 guns in long range stuff. Somewhere in the 300 yard range, and smaller targets.
When I did SASS, the 38-55 was more popular for the long range stuff. Lighter recoil, flatter shooting, yada yada. 45-70 is a blast, but unless you reload, you better have some deeeep pockets.

You could look at a Winchester 1895 in 30-06 (Mmmmmmmm), but then you're in new custom AR-15, pristine collector grade M1 Garands, etc.

You might want to take a look at a Marlin 1894 Cowboy (I loved mine) in .357 or .45LC. Also, the Rossi Puma is a VERY nice levergun and doesn't have the historically incorrect and ugly crossbolt safety.
TheManWithNoName 09:28 PM 07-10-2009
Well today I took my new Glock 36 (Subcompact, slim single-stack mag, 6+1 .45 ACP capacity) down to the range for its second session, and BOTL Aldrin (s0leful0ne) and another friend came along. Well, the G36 now has 125 rounds through it, 230 grain cheap FMJ's and hollow points, and has been absolutely perfect. :-) I mean not one problem at all. I had read online how some people had trouble with stiff magazine springs and not being able to load the last few rounds: absolutely not an issue. I did load the mags up and let them sit for two days before I used them, but even that first day it was not a problem. For such a light gun, it handles the big .45's recoil very well, with tight groupings out at 7 yards. I would recommend this G36 to anyone and everyone, it is by a small margin the slimmest Glock made and has excellent carry dimensions (only 1.13" wide). :-)

Now this was Aldrin's very first shooting session, and I am pleased to have been there. The man was a champ. He started off with a .22 Ruger Mk II or something that was jam city until the employee came and cleaned it for him, but he got his safety mindset, grip and stance down cold and was very accurate a good ways past the 7 yard mark. Then he made a bit (:-)) of a jump and went straight from the .22 to my .45 with no problem. Handled it like a champ. Since he was understandably underwhelmed by the .22 we also rented a Sig P226 9mm which he handled and fired like a pro. Hopefully we'll get some Gator shooting herfs going once a month or so and make this a regular deal.

So bottom line: love my G36. Probably won't buy anything else for several years at least because I'm so happy with it. Had a great time shooting with Aldrin, was really glad to be able to help him try this experience since he's been so generous pushing me down the cigar slope and smacked me hard with a great selection of cigars for my birthday a few weeks ago. Hopefully we'll be going back soon with fellow Gator BOTL Mike (UFPowerSmoker320) who'll also get to handle Mr. 36. Anyway just thought I'd let y'all know what kind of Friday we can pull off around here sometimes :-).

P.S. If y'all .45 Auto fans want to weigh in here with advice on ammo, please do. Right now I have 165 grain Glaser/Safety Slug +P Pow'R Ball (polymer-ball capped hollowpoints, yeah that's a ***** of a name) in one mag and Remington Golden Saber 230 grain hollowpoints in the other (tested a box of these today, no problems). Feel confident about the both of them.
elderboy02 09:31 PM 07-10-2009
^ Cool :-)

I too love the Glocks. I have the G20 (10mm) which is loads of fun and the G23 (.40)
TheManWithNoName 07:34 PM 07-11-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
^ Cool :-)

I too love the Glocks. I have the G20 (10mm) which is loads of fun and the G23 (.40)
True that man, want to shoot that 10mm soon, hear it's really a powerhouse. :-)
s0leful0ne 03:52 AM 07-12-2009
Originally Posted by TheManWithNoName:
Well today I took my new Glock 36 (Subcompact, slim single-stack mag, 6+1 .45 ACP capacity) down to the range for its second session, and BOTL Aldrin (s0leful0ne) and another friend came along. Well, the G36 now has 125 rounds through it, 230 grain cheap FMJ's and hollow points, and has been absolutely perfect. :-) I mean not one problem at all. I had read online how some people had trouble with stiff magazine springs and not being able to load the last few rounds: absolutely not an issue. I did load the mags up and let them sit for two days before I used them, but even that first day it was not a problem. For such a light gun, it handles the big .45's recoil very well, with tight groupings out at 7 yards. I would recommend this G36 to anyone and everyone, it is by a small margin the slimmest Glock made and has excellent carry dimensions (only 1.13" wide). :-)

Now this was Aldrin's very first shooting session, and I am pleased to have been there. The man was a champ. He started off with a .22 Ruger Mk II or something that was jam city until the employee came and cleaned it for him, but he got his safety mindset, grip and stance down cold and was very accurate a good ways past the 7 yard mark. Then he made a bit (:-)) of a jump and went straight from the .22 to my .45 with no problem. Handled it like a champ. Since he was understandably underwhelmed by the .22 we also rented a Sig P226 9mm which he handled and fired like a pro. Hopefully we'll get some Gator shooting herfs going once a month or so and make this a regular deal.

So bottom line: love my G36. Probably won't buy anything else for several years at least because I'm so happy with it. Had a great time shooting with Aldrin, was really glad to be able to help him try this experience since he's been so generous pushing me down the cigar slope and smacked me hard with a great selection of cigars for my birthday a few weeks ago. Hopefully we'll be going back soon with fellow Gator BOTL Mike (UFPowerSmoker320) who'll also get to handle Mr. 36. Anyway just thought I'd let y'all know what kind of Friday we can pull off around here sometimes :-).

P.S. If y'all .45 Auto fans want to weigh in here with advice on ammo, please do. Right now I have 165 grain Glaser/Safety Slug +P Pow'R Ball (polymer-ball capped hollowpoints, yeah that's a ***** of a name) in one mag and Remington Golden Saber 230 grain hollowpoints in the other (tested a box of these today, no problems). Feel confident about the both of them.
when can we go again?

:-)
elderboy02 09:27 PM 07-12-2009
Originally Posted by TheManWithNoName:
True that man, want to shoot that 10mm soon, hear it's really a powerhouse. :-)
Surprisingly, the recoil isn't that bad. I feel it is more than the .40, but less than a .357 mag

elderboy02 09:27 PM 07-12-2009
Also, thanks to the team of 11 for giving us a gun smiley! :-)

Junior 11:57 PM 07-13-2009
Originally Posted by Trumpet:
When I did SASS, the 38-55 was more popular for the long range stuff. Lighter recoil, flatter shooting, yada yada. 45-70 is a blast, but unless you reload, you better have some deeeep pockets.

You could look at a Winchester 1895 in 30-06 (Mmmmmmmm), but then you're in new custom AR-15, pristine collector grade M1 Garands, etc.

You might want to take a look at a Marlin 1894 Cowboy (I loved mine) in .357 or .45LC. Also, the Rossi Puma is a VERY nice levergun and doesn't have the historically incorrect and ugly crossbolt safety.
I like the Marlin Cowboy, but wouldn't use the Rossi for more that a paperweight. My favorite lever gun is my Cimarron 1866 carbine with a complete racegun action job, and short stroke kit. It is smooth as butter.

My problem with the Rossi is that it is unreliable as all get out. I have seen more people have problems with them at shoots than any other gun.
Trumpet 05:17 AM 07-14-2009
Originally Posted by Junior:
I like the Marlin Cowboy, but wouldn't use the Rossi for more that a paperweight. My favorite lever gun is my Cimarron 1866 carbine with a complete racegun action job, and short stroke kit. It is smooth as butter.

My problem with the Rossi is that it is unreliable as all get out. I have seen more people have problems with them at shoots than any other gun.
Yeah, I should have specified that the Rossi is only good if it's been worked over. I've been out of SASS for a while, and I don't remember the guy's name, but there's a guy who specialized in Rossis and does one smokin' job on them.
Mark C 09:01 PM 07-14-2009
I'm still waiting and watching for a good deal on a Marlin to come along... but just agreed to buy a Mosin 91/30 from another local guy. Can't wait to pick it up this weekend.
Trumpet 04:50 AM 07-15-2009
Originally Posted by Mark C:
I'm still waiting and watching for a good deal on a Marlin to come along... but just agreed to buy a Mosin 91/30 from another local guy. Can't wait to pick it up this weekend.
LOVE my M44. BOOOOOM! They're lots of fun and suprisingly accurate
Bruins Fan 09:06 AM 07-15-2009
Two of my hunting guns.
Top Mossberg 500 that I bought when steel shot went into affect.
I painted the stock and traded a goose for the parkerizing job.
Bottom is a 1948 Winchester model 12 my upland game gun, I been shooting this one for over 40 seasons, yeah I'm an old bastage :-)
elderboy02 09:09 AM 07-15-2009
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan:
Two of my hunting guns.
Top Mossberg 500 that I bought when steel shot went into affect.
I painted the stock and traded a goose for the parkerizing job.
Bottom is a 1948 Winchester model 12 my upland game gun, I been shooting this one for over 40 seasons, yeah I'm an old bastage :-)
Nice! I am thinking about picking up a Mossberg. :-)
Bruins Fan 09:19 AM 07-15-2009
Mossbergs are the Timex of guns, I have filled it with mud, used it as a canoe paddle, clean it and your good to go.
I don't think there is a another gun more reliable?
I know they had the military contract for years.
JE3146 09:23 AM 07-15-2009
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan:
Mossbergs are the Timex of guns, I have filled it with mud, used it as a canoe paddle, clean it and your good to go.
I don't think there is a another gun more reliable?
I know they had the military contract for years.
*cough*.... automat kalashnikov 47 :-)
elderboy02 09:25 AM 07-15-2009
Originally Posted by JE3146:
*cough*.... automat kalashnikov 47 :-)
*cough* Glocks :-)
JE3146 09:39 AM 07-15-2009
*cough* Glocks :-)
Yea but try using a glock as a canoe paddle :-)
elderboy02 09:41 AM 07-15-2009
Originally Posted by JE3146:
Yea but try using a glock as a canoe paddle :-)
You can use a Hi-Point as a paddle. Those things are big and fugly. :-)
BC-Axeman 09:50 AM 07-15-2009
You can use a Hi-Point as a paddle. Those things are big and fugly. :-)
That got me to laugh. :-)
Page 47 of 352
« First < 37454647 48495797147 > Last »
Up