Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 46 of 352
« First < 36444546 47485696146 > Last »
General Discussion>First Firearm Thread.
Mark C 06:49 PM 06-28-2009
Originally Posted by Trumpet:
If you're looking for a "target" gun, a lever action ain't it. Sure they're fun, but they're not known for being tack-drivers, and while the ammo isn't hard to find, it's not generally inexpensive (then again, no ammo is inexpensive right now) to shoot. However, leveractions are really cool.

If you're looking for something for longer range casual target shooting, consider looking at a scoped bolt gun in .223 or .308. Better yet, buy a Garand from the CMP and a bunch of ammo. That would satisfy the longer range target shooting and the shorter range plinking needs quite nicely. There's just something about a Garand:-)

Where in MD are you?
I realize bolt guns are more accurate than lever, that's fine with me. I've got a benchrest 10/22 to scratch the 'tack driver' itch, there's just something about the old school lever action that's calling to me. What I meant by 'target' is that I'll be shooting at paper only, 'minute of paper plate' is good enough for me right now. I was reading up on the Marlin 45-70 lever gun earlier today, now I'm thinking big bore lever would be even more fun :-)

Garand would be great, but out of my price range. I do have a milsurp itch also, I've got a C&R app waiting to be mailed and plans for a Mosin as soon as the paperwork comes back.

I'm in Harford county, little ways outside of Aberdeen. Where're you? I'm using the same name at www.mdshooters.com, great forum for all things firearms in MD. Check it out if you haven't already.
Trumpet 06:56 PM 06-28-2009
Originally Posted by Mark C:
I realize bolt guns are more accurate than lever, that's fine with me. I've got a benchrest 10/22 to scratch the 'tack driver' itch, there's just something about the old school lever action that's calling to me. What I meant by 'target' is that I'll be shooting at paper only, 'minute of paper plate' is good enough for me right now. I was reading up on the Marlin 45-70 lever gun earlier today, now I'm thinking big bore lever would be even more fun :-)

Garand would be great, but out of my price range. I do have a milsurp itch also, I've got a C&R app waiting to be mailed and plans for a Mosin as soon as the paperwork comes back.

I'm in Harford county, little ways outside of Aberdeen. Where're you? I'm using the same name at www.mdshooters.com, great forum for all things firearms in MD. Check it out if you haven't already.
CMP prices should put a Garand within reach...less than a Marlin 45-70. I'm down here in Brandywine. I'm also "Trumpet" on MDshooters although I spend more time at ARFCOM
Wolfgang 09:19 PM 06-28-2009
Monte 2 and Springfield XDM Makes Wolfie a happy boy.

Trumpet 06:42 AM 06-29-2009

This is more than you were looking to spend, but for a complete package (rifle/scope/harris bipod/stock pack) it's a pretty good deal...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=93&t=696489
giono2 08:59 PM 06-29-2009
Originally Posted by Wolfgang:
Monte 2 and Springfield XDM Makes Wolfie a happy boy.
How do you like the XDM, and what caliber did you get? I'm currently looking at it in 9mm.
Mark C 08:36 PM 06-30-2009
Originally Posted by Trumpet:
CMP prices should put a Garand within reach...less than a Marlin 45-70. I'm down here in Brandywine. I'm also "Trumpet" on MDshooters although I spend more time at ARFCOM
I took a look and some of the lower grades are pretty affordable, but the descriptions don't sound all that great. Are they really as bad as CMP makes 'em sound? I'm talking about the rack/field/service grade stock.
Wolfgang 09:44 PM 06-30-2009
Originally Posted by giono2:
How do you like the XDM, and what caliber did you get? I'm currently looking at it in 9mm.
It wasnt mine. Bt it was chambered in .45 I believe. The grip was too long to be a comfortable CCW.
elderboy02 09:53 PM 06-30-2009
I want to get a Remington 700 in a .308 chambering. The only thing keeping me from getting one is a lack of good ranges around by me. The place I shoot at is only 25 yards :-)
TanithT 09:59 PM 06-30-2009
What's the legality of putting guns in the WTS/T area here? I have an annoying number of collector's rifles that I really don't need.
elderboy02 10:01 PM 06-30-2009
Originally Posted by TanithT:
What's the legality of putting guns in the WTS/T area here? I have an annoying number of collector's rifles that I really don't need.
The mods won't allow it.

See rule 8: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=65
replicant_argent 10:02 PM 06-30-2009
Not horribly kosher, I would guess, the ToE would probably not like to incur any kind of legal liablility.
pnoon 10:02 PM 06-30-2009
No go. From the sticky aptly named "Rules for wts/wtb/wtt threads"

Originally Posted by poker:

We have also had to restrict any trading or selling of firearms or firearm accessories and alcohol items.

TanithT 10:03 PM 06-30-2009
Understood and respected.
pnoon 10:03 PM 06-30-2009
Understood and respected.
Much appreciated.
elderboy02 10:04 PM 06-30-2009
Anyone know of a site that has Speer Gold Dots in stock? I am running low on .38spl +p Gold Dots and the only site I can find that has them in stock is AmmunitionToGo and they are a bit overpriced.
replicant_argent 10:08 PM 06-30-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Anyone know of a site that has Speer Gold Dots in stock? I am running low on .38spl +p Gold Dots and the only site I can find that has them in stock is AmmunitionToGo and they are a bit overpriced.
This might help you out, brother.
http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.38_Special
elderboy02 10:10 PM 06-30-2009
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
This might help you out, brother.
http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.38_Special
Thanks for the website. :-) Surprisingly, I have not seen that site before.
Trumpet 05:42 AM 07-01-2009
I took a look and some of the lower grades are pretty affordable, but the descriptions don't sound all that great. Are they really as bad as CMP makes 'em sound? I'm talking about the rack/field/service grade stock.
As a CMP customer, it's pretty safe to say the undergrade their rifles. Yes the stocks can be a little dinged, but in 90+% of the cases it's from storage. BUT when you consider what you see at gunshows ad gunshops (which are usually CMP rifles being marked up a lot) they are a steal. They are a wonderful piece American history, will appreciate in value (Stay AWAY from the new SA INC Garands. SA INC has NOTHING to do with the old Springfield Armory), and are a blast to shoot. They always get attention at the range. FWIW, I believe the CMP also still has M1 carbines and Mossberg M44 .22 Trainers in stock. I am a loyal CMP customer. I just need to get some Garand pics.
floydpink 07:22 AM 07-01-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Ammo to go is the only place I have been able to find the Short Barrel Gold dots as well and unless I am reading it wrong, Replicant's link directs you to them....
Trumpet 08:11 AM 07-01-2009
another good source for ammo prices etc.

http://www.gun-deals.com/ammo.php
Page 46 of 352
« First < 36444546 47485696146 > Last »
Up