Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 45 of 352
« First < 35434445 46475595145 > Last »
General Discussion>First Firearm Thread.
BamBam 08:04 PM 05-10-2009
Alright fellas here's the deal.

I really want an AR-15. I have an offer on the table to buy a Colt for $1500.

I have never done much work on firearms besides field stripping them for cleaning.

I am sorta interested in building my own...but only if it would be cheaper to do so.

What do you think...good deal on the Colt or should I get to building???

Also can you guys point me to some good resources on how to build one and a good place for parts if you think that is the avenue I should go.

Thanks Gents
BamBam 08:07 PM 05-10-2009
Also...I took my new KelTec P11 out today and put 30 rounds through it. Shot great. It didn't jam or stove pipe or anything like that. I wish I could have put more rounds through it but didn't have the time. I just wanted to see if I could get it to malfunction.

The last 10 rounds I shot very quickly in succession trying to make it malfunction. It did well in that little test. For the price I got it for I am very happy.
AAlmeter 08:41 PM 05-10-2009
Originally Posted by BamBam:
Alright fellas here's the deal.

I really want an AR-15. I have an offer on the table to buy a Colt for $1500.

I have never done much work on firearms besides field stripping them for cleaning.

I am sorta interested in building my own...but only if it would be cheaper to do so.

What do you think...good deal on the Colt or should I get to building???

Also can you guys point me to some good resources on how to build one and a good place for parts if you think that is the avenue I should go.

Thanks Gents
Check out AR15.com for info and their equipmen exchange section. I'm finishing up a build of my own, and they've been a great resource.

I'd put $1500 in the ballpark for what Ive seen them going for, but prices are high and fluctuate a lot on all guns lately.

And building your own is not as difficult as one might think if youre mechanically inclined.
gpugliese 09:28 PM 05-10-2009
$1500 is high right now, but if you really aren't good with your hands, it may be worth it. The hardest part is assembling the lower parts kit, and there's a thorough walkthrough on arfcom if you want to look into it. You could build an upper from scratch which would be a little more complicated, but they are generally available complete or complete minus a bolt carrier group, which just slides in place.

Here's what I have into my AR build so far:

Stripped Lower: $150
Lower Parts Kit: $75 (retail for $50ish if you can find one in stock, $80-100 on EE.AR15)
Stock: $75
5.56 Upper w/ charging handle: $515
5.56 BCG: $125
Rear Iron Sight: $40
PMag: $20
Total: ~ $1000

Extras that are optional:
.22 Ciener Conversion: $125
Extra .22 Magazine: $30

The biggest variance will come in your optics choices. Most uppers have a front sight built into the gas block, which saves you money if you want to use iron sights. Scopes & mounting hardware will vary across the board depending on how much you want to spend. You could also get an upper with a built in or removable carry handle, which takes care of the rear iron sight.

It's all the little accessories that start adding up. New trigger, trigger guard, forend grip, free floating rails, compensators, etc.

You also have to consider the time it takes to accrue all of these parts right now when the demand is through the roof. Most manufacturers are back ordered several months on uppers. I got lucky and found a small store in Missouri that got some CMMG uppers in stock for a good price. LPKs are very hard to find in stock, but there are many on arfcom's EE at a hefty premium. All of the other accessories will vary depending on the popularity. Magpul stuff is in high demand, etc. Stripped lowers were hard to find for a while, but a few local stores seem to have a steady supply of them as of late.
JE3146 11:42 PM 05-10-2009
Originally Posted by gpugliese:
$1500 is high right now, but if you really aren't good with your hands, it may be worth it. The hardest part is assembling the lower parts kit, and there's a thorough walkthrough on arfcom if you want to look into it. You could build an upper from scratch which would be a little more complicated, but they are generally available complete or complete minus a bolt carrier group, which just slides in place.

Here's what I have into my AR build so far:

Stripped Lower: $150
Lower Parts Kit: $75 (retail for $50ish if you can find one in stock, $80-100 on EE.AR15)
Stock: $75
5.56 Upper w/ charging handle: $515
5.56 BCG: $125
Rear Iron Sight: $40
PMag: $20
Total: ~ $1000

Extras that are optional:
.22 Ciener Conversion: $125
Extra .22 Magazine: $30

The biggest variance will come in your optics choices. Most uppers have a front sight built into the gas block, which saves you money if you want to use iron sights. Scopes & mounting hardware will vary across the board depending on how much you want to spend. You could also get an upper with a built in or removable carry handle, which takes care of the rear iron sight.

It's all the little accessories that start adding up. New trigger, trigger guard, forend grip, free floating rails, compensators, etc.

You also have to consider the time it takes to accrue all of these parts right now when the demand is through the roof. Most manufacturers are back ordered several months on uppers. I got lucky and found a small store in Missouri that got some CMMG uppers in stock for a good price. LPKs are very hard to find in stock, but there are many on arfcom's EE at a hefty premium. All of the other accessories will vary depending on the popularity. Magpul stuff is in high demand, etc. Stripped lowers were hard to find for a while, but a few local stores seem to have a steady supply of them as of late.
You have rear iron sight for 40$, then necessitate a PMAG for 20$?

I think your numbers are a bit off. And anyone paying 515$ /w charging handle for an upper without a BCG is essentially paying over 355$ on a barrel. Total ripoff. Granted as you said, everything is a ripoff.

My advice... get a lower now. Pay the 150$ + FFL transfer. Get in line for a kit at a reputable retailer. Wait the 6 months to get the kit. Then assemble with one of the many assembly guides floating on the net. Mine inclusive.

Get yourself an A3 upper on that kit, but stick with iron sights. Learn the weapon and don't go magpul crazy or accessorize the hell out of it straight out of the gate. Spend the money on ammo and learn how to fire it. Accessorize later when you figure out what works and what doesn't. Don't get caught up in the AR15.com bandwagon where you're not cool unless you have a Larue quad rail, ACOG, and Magpul trim.
gpugliese 12:50 PM 05-11-2009
The $40 iron sight was the cheapest I could find until I can find optics I like. As for the upper pricing, as overpriced as it is, it's really the only thing available right now. Unless you get lucky and catch something in stock within minutes of it being available or you have a back order come in.

Midway, BCM and a few of the other online sites that offer email stock notification all sell out within minutes of something arriving in stock.
Junior 01:10 PM 05-11-2009
Originally Posted by AAlmeter:
Check out AR15.com for info and their equipmen exchange section. I'm finishing up a build of my own, and they've been a great resource.

I'd put $1500 in the ballpark for what Ive seen them going for, but prices are high and fluctuate a lot on all guns lately.

And building your own is not as difficult as one might think if youre mechanically inclined.
:-)

I built mine from guides on AR15.com. It is a pretty simple deal. I will give you one tip. When putting in the roll pins use tape around where they go in to keep from messing up the finish on it. It took me about a half hour to put my first on together, and about half that the second time.

Check out JT Distributors for parts and uppers. I have a Doublestar lower as well as a Spikes Lower they are both very good. The last I checked AIM had the Doublestars at around $105ish, but that has been a while but after the election. Also check out Brownells and Midway USA. If you are going to order a bunch of parts get your C&R FFL it will get you discounts at a lot of places, and was only $30 when I got mine.
AAlmeter 07:21 PM 05-11-2009
To give you an idea of mine...

Stag lower $120

LPK $80

DMPS Complete Upper (BCG, Charging, Chrome 1:9, .223) $600

Pre ban 30rd mags $14ea

I'm swapping my bbl (shown in the pic posted earlier) for a post-ban legal one and should recoup a few dollars once I sell my 16" w/ flash supp.

Just need to swap the new bbl and install a rear sight and I'm good. Like Jordan said, as time goes on and I become more experienced with the rifle as well as hopefully get more hands-on experience with others' rifles, I'll start shopping for some of the optics choices...which can be pricey. Than and I'd like a quad rail fore-end...so I can mount one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ljd_hUxCfI
Junior 09:33 AM 05-12-2009
Originally Posted by AAlmeter:
I'll start shopping for some of the optics choices...which can be pricey. Than and I'd like a quad rail fore-end...so I can mount one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ljd_hUxCfI
As far as optics I have used a Aimpoint, and EoTech, and prefer the EOTech over the aimpoint.
JE3146 08:25 PM 05-19-2009
A Credit Card bill was passed by the senate today, which oddly enough contained a clause allowing the concealed carry of firearms in national parks. It's expected to pass the House and be signed off by Obama with no opposition.

:-)
Mark C 09:19 PM 06-26-2009
No posts in the last month? That ain't right...

I'm looking for a lever action rifle, leaning towards Marlin 336, any opinions?
smokeyandthebandit05 07:33 AM 06-27-2009
Originally Posted by Mark C:
No posts in the last month? That ain't right...

I'm looking for a lever action rifle, leaning towards Marlin 336, any opinions?

I recently bought one used and love the thing. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet :-) but I love the design of the rifle. The Winchester 94's are all side feed and top ejection, the Marlins are side feed and side ejection. The side ejection is much better as there is a lesser chance of the hot casing hitting you. What will you be using this rifle for?

This is what I have
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...rfire/336A.asp
Trumpet 06:25 PM 06-27-2009
After being redirected here (Thanks NC) I'm a little late to the party here. However, I just don't know if I can't post any more gun p**n on "Puff"...I mean c'mon...PUFF?!
Trumpet 06:26 PM 06-27-2009
Trumpet 06:27 PM 06-27-2009
[url=http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/Trumpet1/?action=view&current=Operator4.jpg]Image
Trumpet 06:30 PM 06-27-2009
Trumpet 06:33 PM 06-27-2009
Mark C 06:41 PM 06-27-2009
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05:
I recently bought one used and love the thing. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet :-) but I love the design of the rifle. The Winchester 94's are all side feed and top ejection, the Marlins are side feed and side ejection. The side ejection is much better as there is a lesser chance of the hot casing hitting you. What will you be using this rifle for?

This is what I have
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...rfire/336A.asp
I'm not a hunter, just looking for a fun target gun. I've got a few .22s already, want something bigger/different.
Trumpet 02:20 PM 06-28-2009
Originally Posted by Mark C:
I'm not a hunter, just looking for a fun target gun. I've got a few .22s already, want something bigger/different.
If you're looking for a "target" gun, a lever action ain't it. Sure they're fun, but they're not known for being tack-drivers, and while the ammo isn't hard to find, it's not generally inexpensive (then again, no ammo is inexpensive right now) to shoot. However, leveractions are really cool.

If you're looking for something for longer range casual target shooting, consider looking at a scoped bolt gun in .223 or .308. Better yet, buy a Garand from the CMP and a bunch of ammo. That would satisfy the longer range target shooting and the shorter range plinking needs quite nicely. There's just something about a Garand:-)

Where in MD are you?
Trumpet 02:43 PM 06-28-2009
Originally Posted by GhostRyder:
I agree with the above. Too bad I lost all my firearms in a boating accident... Only one little .22 plinker left.

On another note, I love the Kimber and h&k p0_rn. I'm looking into getting a Kimber Desert Warrior and h&k USP Compact within the next year.
Does Lumpy know you're using his avatar? :-)
Page 45 of 352
« First < 35434445 46475595145 > Last »
Up