Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 41 of 99
« First < 31394041 42435191 > Last »
General Discussion>Wristwatch collectors out there?
Volusianator 02:33 PM 03-16-2011
It kinda looks like a dark mother of pearl, but actually it's a matte black face.
[Reply]
Volusianator 06:19 PM 03-19-2011
What should I be looking for in a nice wristwatch case? I'd like to build my own as I'm a woodworker, but really have no idea what features y'all look for in a case. I appreciate any input.

Wade
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:41 PM 03-19-2011
The case has to fit the watch movement for one. I have seen a few done in hardwood. Your best effort would be to copy a case and then swap the movement over. Holding the case in place is the most difficult, so perhaps doing that in a big blank and then cutting it down the right size after would be the method.

We make the tooling to hold the watches cases for many big brands in Switzerland. Each unique piece on a watch has its own tooling.
[Reply]
wayner123 11:13 PM 03-19-2011
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
The case has to fit the watch movement for one. I have seen a few done in hardwood. Your best effort would be to copy a case and then swap the movement over. Holding the case in place is the most difficult, so perhaps doing that in a big blank and then cutting it down the right size after would be the method.

We make the tooling to hold the watches cases for many big brands in Switzerland. Each unique piece on a watch has its own tooling.
I think he may mean a watchholder as opposed to the case itself.

My main features in the one I went for was:

Big enough to hold the watch without hitting the glass. If you like big watches this happens with a lot of cases.

Pillows. There are a few designs for pillows on the web.

Enough slots to hols all my watches.

A drawer to hold all the pieces that comes with some watches. Extra links, polishing cloths, etc.
[Reply]
Volusianator 11:21 PM 03-19-2011
I started drawing one up tonight, I think I got a pretty solid plan, just need to find the pillows, but I didn't even search that yet.
[Reply]
Volusianator 10:25 AM 03-20-2011
Just bought three watches yesterday, nothing great, all cheapos but I love everyone of them, so yeah, it's time to start building a watch box.
[Reply]
s15driftking 11:08 AM 03-20-2011
sweating this 47mm beauty.....

Oris Carlos Coste LE
[Reply]
s15driftking 11:13 AM 03-20-2011
Originally Posted by Volusianator:
What should I be looking for in a nice wristwatch case? I'd like to build my own as I'm a woodworker, but really have no idea what features y'all look for in a case. I appreciate any input.

Wade

make sure you make the slots wide enough in case you plan on buying wide watches. also make them deep enough so that the crystals dont hit the inside of the box top.
[Reply]
Volusianator 11:14 AM 03-20-2011
You guys are hardcore man, I just spent $63 on three watches yesterday! :-)

Originally Posted by s15driftking:
sweating this 47mm beauty.....

Oris Carlos Coste LE

[Reply]
Volusianator 07:48 PM 03-25-2011
make sure you make the slots wide enough in case you plan on buying wide watches. also make them deep enough so that the crystals dont hit the inside of the box top.
I've been working on the design and I'm relatively close, however I need watch pillows. I could sew them myself, but my sewing skills are average at best, I could have an upholstery shop make them, but I would think that would get pricey, I'm looking for something like the ones pictured below, but just can't find anything other than the actual square pillow looking things which I don't want. Any ideas guys?
[Reply]
wayner123 08:41 PM 03-25-2011
There are a couple of them on ebay. Here is one: http://cgi.ebay.com/White-Watch-Wind...item439e5e2a4c

Google also provided quite a few with the keywords "watch winder pillow" and "watch pillow"

http://www.swisstgallery.com/heiden-...ide-black.html

http://www.buywatchwinders.com/watch...ories-c-9.html

The square pillow design is not a bad one. I know it's not what you want, but it may be cheaper and it would provide a slimmer profile. I don't think it would cost much at all do have done by someone who makes cornhole bags or the like.
[Reply]
Volusianator 09:09 PM 03-25-2011
Hehe, you said "cornhole"!

I found those same ones online, the watchwinder style, but at $9-10 each I'm looking for something just a little more cost effective. I want to do a case with either 16-20 watches, two rows each tray of either 8-10 and two trays.

I just got my drawing finalized, and found a great piece of Honduran Mahogany that's been in my shop for years just waiting for the right project and this is it. But I really think I need the pillows first, I'm gonna check with the guy who did the upholstery on my camper on Monday.

Originally Posted by wayner123:
There are a couple of them on ebay. Here is one: http://cgi.ebay.com/White-Watch-Wind...item439e5e2a4c

Google also provided quite a few with the keywords "watch winder pillow" and "watch pillow"

http://www.swisstgallery.com/heiden-...ide-black.html

http://www.buywatchwinders.com/watch...ories-c-9.html

The square pillow design is not a bad one. I know it's not what you want, but it may be cheaper and it would provide a slimmer profile. I don't think it would cost much at all do have done by someone who makes cornhole bags or the like.

[Reply]
s15driftking 06:10 AM 03-26-2011
For pillows. ... Why not just find a cheap watch case on eBay and chuck the case. But keep the pillows.
[Reply]
wayner123 06:34 AM 03-26-2011
I wanted to add, that you will also want to pad the partitions of the box. The pillows alone won't be good rubbing against each other.. Bobby has a good idea, but at 16-20 that's a very large box. You may want to look at doing two 8's.
[Reply]
s15driftking 06:55 AM 03-27-2011
I say go big.

I want to add another point ten bucks for a single pillow is unreal. Type in "sicuro" on eBay and find their 16 or 2o watch case. It should be less than half what your looking at paying for pillows and includes pillows obviously. Sicuro pillows are Amazing and big. You won't be disappointed. Then use the leftover case to display logo balls hehe.
[Reply]
s15driftking 07:12 AM 03-27-2011
here it is (Completed listing)

http://cgi.ebay.com/SICURO-Free-Stan...item45f963986d

The pillows are wonderfull, and its a 3rd the price as if you bought the pillows seperately. Plus, the quality is great.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:14 AM 03-27-2011
You don't need pillows, just use a bent piece of metal with leather glued to the outside. If the metal is thin it should have enough spring in it to keep the watch in place and the leather will protect it.

Make the shape out of wood and bend the metal around it.
[Reply]
ir13 12:50 PM 03-27-2011
Picked up this 48mm Beauty for $60 shipped recently.

[Reply]
Volusianator 01:25 PM 03-27-2011
For pillows. ... Why not just find a cheap watch case on eBay and chuck the case. But keep the pillows.
I thought the same, found one online for about $40 with the pillows I like, so I think I'll go that route and just use the box for something else.
[Reply]
Volusianator 01:26 PM 03-27-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
I wanted to add, that you will also want to pad the partitions of the box. The pillows alone won't be good rubbing against each other.. Bobby has a good idea,
Yep, I'm aware of that. I've looked at quite a few boxes, just want one that fits my minds eye.
[Reply]
Page 41 of 99
« First < 31394041 42435191 > Last »
Up